PDA

View Full Version : stroller or no stroller in parks?

julie0282
05-09-2009, 01:29 AM
i have a soon to be 7yr old DD and she does get tried of walking sometimes. do you think i should bring a stroller or is she too big ?? :confused:

Marceline
05-09-2009, 01:47 AM
If she has a physical condition that makes walking difficult, then certainly do what you need to do.
If she is an able bodied kiddo, I say, let her walk. My DD managed the parks just fine at 4 and like a champ this Christmas at 6.

Just remember to drink lots of water, wear comfy shoes and be aware of when she seems exerted and occasionally enjoy the bench ride. :D:mickey:

animalkingdomguy
05-09-2009, 09:26 AM
We have the same situtation. Our DS will turn 7 just before our August trip. On previous trips took the smallest stroller we could find. Lugging a stroller on and off the crammed buses is about as much fun as having you gums scraped. This trip my 7 yr DS will be walking. To the heart of you question, each child is different, if having a stroller makes the trip more pleasant, go for it. But, I would shop garage sales or thrifty stores for a micro sized stroller.

deedeenmickey
05-09-2009, 10:35 AM
When you first get there and for about 3 or 4 hours she is going to want to walk. I can't imagine lugging an empty stroller around for that long. She will get tired especially if you stay out a long time. The bottom line is it's what you want to do. Only you know your child. I hope it works out for you and ya'll have a great trip!

DisneyMiMi
05-09-2009, 10:49 AM
Last Jan, we rented a stroller for my granddaughter, 5 years old. All we ended up doing was putting the backpack in the stroller and pushing that around. She did fine the entire day (EMH). We ended up parking the stroller with the backpack at each area and picking it up when moving on to the next. With the expense of renting the strollers, I would definitely try it without. You can always go back and pick one up if you find you do need it but there are enough park benches and places to sit to rest up that might do the trick. I hope it all works out.

DANAM
05-09-2009, 11:23 AM
I debated the same thing for my DD7 last time we went. She had ADHD and has a tendency to walk off, so I was mostly using the stroller for safty reasons but my DH talked me out of it. She did really good walking. I do have a DS4 so if she got tired she would sit in it for a break here or there but she could have easily sat on the ground.

g8rgirl29
05-09-2009, 11:38 AM
When in doubt, bring it, you can always leave it in the room if she doesn't need it. A lot of times in MK we just leave the stroller parked in a land until we have ridden everything we want to in that area. Then we pick it up put DD in and move on to the next area we want to hit and park it again.

crltkcagle
05-09-2009, 02:54 PM
DS is 7 and he still needs a stroller! Not for the entire trip but at the end of the day when he starts getting tired he wants to sit. I bring a double stroller anyway for my other two children and just throw all three in one at the end of the day. Of course there are times when I would like a stroller too! LOL

dancin Disney style
05-09-2009, 03:28 PM
It depends on your child.

I've had a 6yo that was hating the whole experience and wanted to leave about 2 hours after arrival because she was tired. We got a stroller and she was a whole new kid that began having the time of her life.

My older one walked the entire time when she was 6. :shrug:

I would either plan on renting one if needed or bring a small/light/cheap umbrella stroller with you incase. If you opt to not bring one and find that you require one you can buy a half decent stroller for about $40 at Once Upon a Toy in DTD. I'm sure there are other places that have the same ones. It's can be cheaper than a rental if you need it for several days.

marlaine
05-09-2009, 04:49 PM
My DS5 always wants a stroller--but only at WDW! I packed his regular stroller away 2 years ago. He just tells me--too much walking.
I really don't mind renting one for him. Even though they're expensive it's worth it for piece of mind. He's such a happy kid and loves the parks so much-I don't want to change that great disposition because of being too tired to enjoy them. I've never brought one from home for concern of getting off and on buses.

Lakin
05-09-2009, 05:14 PM
Of course! It's a great way to get through the crowds - If they don't move, they get run over. :thedolls:

i'm grumpy
05-10-2009, 10:46 AM
If you take a stroller, get a lock. Our brand new one was stolen. :mad:

i'm grumpy
05-10-2009, 10:48 AM
Of course! It's a great way to get through the crowds - If they don't move, they get run over. :thedolls:

:D And you can put your backpack in if the kiddo wants to walk.

I saw strollers for sale near an entrance, at the studios I think.

CrabbyPatty
05-10-2009, 04:05 PM
We're be there in late August with two kids - 8 and 6. So it will be HOT and HUMID (but at least we'll get free food .....).

My friend (with the 6yo) says she'll need a stroller. How much is the stroller rental daily, or can you get a weekly rate?

i'm grumpy
05-11-2009, 07:54 AM
I believe it's $15/day or $13 for multiple days.

Disney Doll
05-11-2009, 11:57 AM
If you take a stroller, get a lock. Our brand new one was stolen. :mad:

I'm not sure you would be allowed to lock a stroller. CMs may need to move it to make room (they usually do). I've taken many trips with a stroller and we've never had an issue with theft. I'm sure it's a pain if it happens to you, but I'm sure it's very rare.

FaithTrustPixieDust
05-11-2009, 12:03 PM
We rented one for our kids last year, they were 5 and 7. This year (they will be 6 and 8 of course) we may try a single stroller, and see if they can take turns or something. We tend to do long days, and the stroller makes that possible.

My guess if that we'll need a double stroller by the end of the day. (either that or back surgery from carrying tired kids!!)

PlutoPlanet
05-11-2009, 12:08 PM
I think we still did the stroller with DD7. We put the backpack in the stroller when DD7 did not want to ride.

DawsonAR
05-11-2009, 02:54 PM
We just returned with DS (7). I thought he would need a stroller, but when I rented one.....he didn't want to ride in it. He ended up walking the whole week and did fine. I was surprised. He was tired and we didn't do extra long days at all.

julie0282
05-12-2009, 01:14 AM
i like that espically when ppl are just talking and standing in the middle of the road hahaha:laughing:

julie0282
05-12-2009, 01:19 AM
she gets tired when we walk ny just the times square area. shes done walking when we do about 6-8 blocks. so not so sure i think i am going to take it but if anything things we buy we will put in the stroller and its one of those light weight ones that has a thing i can carry it like a bookbag

i'm grumpy
05-12-2009, 07:42 AM
I re-read the tip I was thinking of. It said to put the bike lock through 2 wheels so a CM can move it, but it won't roll.

Stitchahula
05-12-2009, 07:50 AM
I think you should bring it. That way you have it at the airport too and also walking to the buses. If your little one wants a nap then they can always nap in the stroller. I have a 6 year old that is still in a stroller and will be for as long as he wants. He has a form of anemia and gets tired easily when his numbers are low. He also isn't that used to alot of walking so it's just easier to let him hop in when he wants. Why take the chance of a tired cranky child when you don't have too.

i'm grumpy
05-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Ours was $25 at WM but they only hold up to 40lbs or so. :thumbsup:

FriendsofMickey
05-12-2009, 08:18 AM
I would think it would be up to your child. We have never used a stroller on any of our trips. When they got tired, we either carried them or sat down to rest.
This year they will be 2 months shy of 7 years old. We will again not take the stroller. For us, it is just one more thing to worry about.

indytraveler
05-12-2009, 09:35 AM
I've had all three of my dk's in strollers through out the years. They were out of them by the age of 5-6. Even at that age when their feet got tired I could put them on my shoulders and walk around. Luckily I'm big enough and they were small enough. One thing my kids were able to do was think it was WDW and they only got tired when it was time to leave.

Daddy Mouse
05-12-2009, 10:25 AM
A 7 YO in a stoller. No way, unless there is a medical condition. You may need the stroller more than a 7YO. If the young ones get tired and cranky, take a break.

princess8813
05-12-2009, 10:35 AM
I'm with DaddyMouse. Our 1st trip to WDW DS was 4 DD 3. We practiced for months before the trip regarding holding hands at all times, going on long extended walks, all the while explaining to the kids the crowds, the heat, etc. They were amazing!! Those 2 kids never asked to be carried whatsoever!! We were very diligent about taking breaks, even just sitting for a few minutes with a juice bar was so rejuvenating!! There were many times when DH & I could have used a break, but those two were just amazing with the positive reinforcement about walking, heat, crowds and always holding hands. Never even thought of taking/renting a stroller

CrabbyPatty
05-12-2009, 11:01 AM
Just FYI - I read of a business in Orlando that rents out strollers and they will deliver and pick-up from your hotel room - they have some pretty nice looking double strollers for $90/week that look more like the strollers you can use when running.

MNNHFLTX
05-12-2009, 11:27 AM
We're be there in late August with two kids - 8 and 6. So it will be HOT and HUMID (but at least we'll get free food .....).

My friend (with the 6yo) says she'll need a stroller. How much is the stroller rental daily, or can you get a weekly rate?Here is the information on stroller rental, per INTERCOT's Infocentral tab (at the top of the page):

Strollers (http://www.intercot.com/infocentral/children/strollers.asp)

jrpersinger
05-12-2009, 01:25 PM
DD is 7 and we will most definately be taking a stroller. She is as active as can be. She plays soccer. But when it comes to walking, she just doesn't seem to hold up. She will walk the majority, but then she just crashes. And without a stroller, it could be ugly. LOL

We also like to have it to lug around all our stuff. It gets used more for a carry all then for pushing the kiddos.

syndrome
05-12-2009, 02:01 PM
Just spent four days in April with my DS7 and he did not use a stroller. He loves to walk around and "check things out" too much. When he got tired we would take a break. The freedom of not having a stroller was awesome!