PDA

View Full Version : Characters in Flight

svarhall07
05-09-2009, 01:28 AM
has anyone been down since this opened? I am wondering how long the wait has typically been. I'm really hoping to try it out next Thursday, but I don't want to wait forever.

dizneyfreek
05-09-2009, 08:36 AM
I wish I had an answer for you! We just returned and when we were in downtown disney the baloon was closed due to the wind. It closed quite a bit during the week because of this. This attraction is going to be a touch and go thing. The day we were there it was sunny and beautiful, but the winds 200 feet up were to much they said.

DisneyGlutton
05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
We just returned and when we were in downtown disney the baloon was closed due to the wind. It closed quite a bit during the week because of this. This attraction is going to be a touch and go thing. The day we were there it was sunny and beautiful, but the winds 200 feet up were to much they said.

We were lucky to catch it right after the winds died down a bit and it reopened. Since we were 11th and 12th in the line (in high winds it can take 10 people per flight) we got right on; the line was very short after we left, too. However, this was about 5pm on a Thurs, so idk how indicative that was.

Btw, we were slightly disappointed in the respect that the views weren't as great as we hoped. While you can see far, all the parks are far enough away that you can't see them super well (for instance, Cindy's Castle was almost invisible).

joelkfla
05-10-2009, 09:20 AM
Btw, we were slightly disappointed in the respect that the views weren't as great as we hoped. While you can see far, all the parks are far enough away that you can't see them super well (for instance, Cindy's Castle was almost invisible).
Is there a guide on board to help you find things? Is there a recorded spiel?

dream6
05-10-2009, 11:10 AM
Do they supply binoculars? Because that would be fun.

dizneyfreek
05-10-2009, 09:19 PM
We were lucky to catch it right after the winds died down a bit and it reopened. Since we were 11th and 12th in the line (in high winds it can take 10 people per flight) we got right on; the line was very short after we left, too. However, this was about 5pm on a Thurs, so idk how indicative that was.

Have you been to Blizzard Beach?? Go down summit plummet. The view at the top is great! You can see all the parks and a few resorts as well:thumbsup:

DisneyGlutton
05-10-2009, 11:52 PM
The pilot is very friendly and helpful; he pointed out all the places of interest as best he could and answered all our questions, as well as calmed the guests that were scared. No binoculars, alas...I'm surprised they don't rent them, lol

dmosher
05-11-2009, 02:14 AM
Is it just me or is this the silliest idea for an attraction ever? Seriously. From what I have heard (and read) from the natives in the area, this attraction is down much more than it is up and the attraction" of the attraction is lost after the first time up. BORING is a word I have heard many times and a bit of a let down also has been brought up a bit. I tried to come up with a way of "plussing" this attraction and short of having Mickey bungie jump with guests out of it, I can not see a way of making this attraction decent. If nothing else the fact that it's re-ride-ability is seriously lacking. True I have not been on it yet, but form what I understand it has been considered a waste of money to create and a waste of money to ride by many who have actually been on it.
:pipes:
D

yjgirl32
05-11-2009, 08:38 AM
Well I personally can't wait to try it. I have always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon and I can't think of a better plae to try then Disney.

disneyfan328
05-11-2009, 09:09 AM
I wanted to do this so bad during our trip last week and we tried twice on different days. While the balloon was operating it was only going up 6 people at a time and with the people already in line it was like a 2 hour plus wait with no guarantee that my son and I would be able to go (if the winds picked up or what not). The other time we tried they had quit selling tickets as they already had a ton of people who bought tickets and the winds picked up so they had to downsize those larger groups to smaller groups of 6-8 so again we didn't get to go. I was very disappointed as I really wanted to try it, however I didn't want to waste a whole day waiting around and then still have the possibility of not going so I guess we'll have to wait until next time.

ps watching it up there while its windy is pretty intimidating. you can see the ropes and how far of an angle the balloon is actully sitting at. It moved around quite a bit up there so I would pray for a calm wind day if you are going to do it.

streets of paris
05-11-2009, 03:48 PM
we just got back and they were shutting it down for wind more than it was working.

seemed very unpredictable; i recommend going when it opens (10:30) if it seems like a calm day.

the wait is in the sun and would be murder for more than like 10 minutes!

joelkfla
05-12-2009, 12:17 AM
Well I personally can't wait to try it. I have always wanted to go up in a hot air balloon and I can't think of a better plae to try then Disney.
It's not a hot air balloon; it's helium-filled.

The difference is that the buoyancy of a hot air balloon is variable, controlled by the heat applied from the burner. The aerophile has constant buoyancy; ascent is attained by playing out cable from a winch.

I've never been in either, but I would expect the feel would be quite different between the two.

epceddie
05-13-2009, 01:16 AM
My wife and I waited about 15 minutes last Wednesday. We waited for the group in front of us to come down and we got right on.
It was a lot of fun. We could see Expedition Everest and the Tree of Life in the distance and I got some great shots of Saratoga Springs, including the quiet pool on the water across from Downtown Disney that I had been in an hour earlier.
I would definitely do it again. Being 400 feet in the air was a thrill.