PDA

View Full Version : New to Camping experience?! Lots of ???

grammy3
05-07-2009, 02:28 PM
Hello All,

My husband and I are looking into purchasing a motor home to vacation with the grandkids( 4 boys). That being said a vacation to me does not always involve cooking. I don't mind breakfast and an occasional lunch but I want time off too. Do any of you still purchase the dining plan even if you are camping in Disney World? And I have read alot about Fort Wilderness campgrounds, Is it as nice as it sounds? CAn anyone give me an idea about the best area to request for convienence to bus stops and other transportation? Are there any discounts for the dining plan available to the camping world?

Thank you I know I will have more questions once this all becomes more of reality.

Grammy3

faline
05-07-2009, 08:14 PM
While we cook at the campsite for most camping trips, we would rarely cook at the campsite while at Disney World. I think you'll find that most campers at Disney World do a combination of eating out and at the campsite. With an RV, you may be able to take advantage of a slow cooker to do much of the cooking for you.

Fort Wilderness Campground is an excellent facility - probably the best I've ever stayed in and we've hit a number of campgrounds on the east coast - from Vermont to Florida.

Pretty much every place you stay in Fort Wilderness will be close to a bus stop - you'll find a stop at the end of each loop.

tjstrike
05-08-2009, 03:59 AM
Fort Wilderness is a very nice campground (of course, you're at WDW), we've only stayed there once but it was a pleasant experience.We stayed in loop 1000 which is right across the street from the pool, trading post and sing-a-long campfire. loops 900 and 1400 are also very conveinent for those. Loops 100,200 and 300 are close to the boat to MK, hoop-dee-doo, trails end buffet and the beach. After questioning people on this board we ended up using the QS dining plan and just ate breakfast in the camper. This worked out very good for us as we ate at roarin forks at WL several times and used thier pool because the one at Ft.Wilderness was under repair.(Finished now)

RocklandRVers
05-13-2009, 02:39 PM
The only loops that are far away from a bus stop ar in the 1800 and 1900 loops. Like the others have said most loops have a stop at the entrance. You can ask them for a site close to the bus stop and they usually do their best to accomodate your requests. As for Fort Wilderness being nice, I can say YES! We have camped in RV parks all over the eastern seaboard and in Oklahoma and still consider it the best campground in the UNIVERSE and the standard by which others might be measured. I have never stayed in a campground with nice level sites, a comfort station (sometimes 2) in every loop that has a very clean mens and ladies air conditioned (free) showers / rest room, ice machine and laundromat. Of course it is about the cheapest way to stay inside Disney especially for larger families. As for meals we usually have coffee and a light breakfast and sometimes lunch in the RV. Once in a while we cook out but usually eat dinner in a Disney restaurant or go to Kissimmee on Rte 192 to one of the hundreds of restaurants there.

NJ Camper
05-17-2009, 11:15 AM
I have to agree i also have been to many campgrounds on east coast the only other that even comes remotely close and i'm saying remotely is the one i stayed at in Mass.
Normandy Farms in Foxboro Mass is really nice but NOTHING is as nice as Disney we have stayed there over a dozen times and can't wait for the next trip there hopefully we are going in Dec we have reservations but will still need to see what the economy does
We try to cook breakfast just grab a quick bite for lunch then we mix it up for dinner sometimes we eat in parks or the rv and will sometimes go to various places out of disney along the I-4 area to have a change but some people don't want to drive or don't have a car to do this or just don't want to do the cooking thats fine you are on vacation

ibrowse17
05-17-2009, 05:41 PM
We have stayed at FW many times in the past, and have never cooked much, or used the DDP. FW is a wonderful place, full of the magic and charm you would expect from Disney. I hope you have a great time:thumbsup:

JRocker
05-17-2009, 06:02 PM
I do almost all of the cooking when we go camping. I figure my wife is on vacation, so I need to do something for her. Besides, I enjoy it.
When we are at Fort Wilderness over our two week stay we may eat breakfast out twice. The rest of the time it's cereal, pancakes, or a full blown greasy artery clogging breakfast with all the goodies.
Lunch/dinner gets kind of skewed, sometimes we end up skipping one or the other. Too busy having fun. Usually it just ends up a midday meal. I usually prepare those meals in the morning, so that all I have to do is toss it on the grill when we return to camp. I also do some crockpot meals.
Once or twice we'll eat a quickservice at the parks. Pecos Bill's is always a must, but we take the camper to save money, and the food savings is more than some here like to admit.
We've never ate table service at the parks, when we take the camper. If we feel the need to sit down and eat somewhere other than the camper, we'll leave the world and hit Chevy's or Friday's, or something else that catches our fancy. We'll do that maybe three or four times a trip.
The key for me, when it comes to cooking, is to have as much prepared before we leave for the parks as possible. That's where the crock comes in handy. I always wake up a couple of hours before the rest of the family, so it gives me something to pass the time.

26 days until departure! :number1: