PDA

View Full Version : Character Meals

jpina
05-07-2009, 12:02 PM
We will be taking the family to Disney for our second trip in July. Last time we didn't do any character dining, but this time I want to try and get at least one character meal in for lunch. I'll be taking my 3 year old b/g twins, my 13 year old son, and 8 year old niece. Suggestions? My husband and I will also have the opportunity to go out for dinner one night, what do you suggest?

chefmickey3
05-07-2009, 12:41 PM
Our family with three boys loves Chef Mickey's. We haven't done it for lunch, but the characters are great! It is easy to get to from the Magic Kingdom or EPCOT.

We like O'Hana's for a date night, but that doesn't happen too often! We celebrated our 10th wedding anniversary last November and it was great!

scootch713
05-07-2009, 01:19 PM
Chef MIckey's would have something for both boys and girls. It is our favorite character meal(and we have done them all :cool:) They dont' have lunch, but you could do an early dinner or breakfast. We really love the dinner spread. I usually try to get a reservation when they open(around 430-5pm)

wdwfansince75
05-07-2009, 02:43 PM
For lunch, I believe that only Crystal Palace, Hollywood and Vine, and the Castle have character lunches.....
We used to enjoy H&V, but haven't done it since the new characters are there....
You might also consider a late breakfast, or an early dinner....this opens up our personal favorite, Donald's Safari at AK, or Chef Mickey's, or 1900 Park Faire...an excellent buffet for breakfast or for dinner.

Personally, I would choose Donald's Safari Breakfast, and ask for the latest possible seating....great food, and outstanding character interaction, with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald....in Safari gear!
For the evening out, consider California Grill....But there are so many excellent choices.....Shula's, or Coral Reef, or Citricos...Check the menus....Or maybe, try something new...like Paridiso 37 at Pleasure Island, which opens this month.

tys_mommy
05-07-2009, 03:09 PM
Personally, I would choose Donald's Safari Breakfast, and ask for the latest possible seating....great food, and outstanding character interaction, with Mickey, Minnie, Goofy, and Donald....in Safari gear!

I second Donald's for a late breakfast - try to get a reservation the a morning EMH (assuming you are staying on property) so you can go to the park early and enjoy it - also starting your day off earlier than normal will make you hungry earlier (it does for us). Make sure you get FP for the safari before going to eat and if you have timed it right when you are finished with your meal you can head right over for your ride.

BluewaterBrad
05-07-2009, 03:28 PM
Ohanas is good for a couple. Yachtsman steakhouse or fultons are good also!:mickey:

joanna71985
05-07-2009, 04:22 PM
I would go with either Chef Mickey's or Crystal Palace. They are both really good.

sweetsavannah
05-07-2009, 09:40 PM
We went to 1900 Park Fare for breakfast and they had Mary Poppins and Alice in Wonderland (for the girls) and The Mad Hatter (the boys would probably like him, he was really funny). Just a thought!

jpina
05-07-2009, 09:44 PM
Wow, thanks for your advice, guys! I didn't see any recommendations for one I was originally considering. Garden Grill? I'm thinking the late breakfast or early dinner sounds like a good idea, too. I was originally thinking lunch just to get us out of the heat for awhile. I'm overwhelmed with this ONE reservation. LOL!

gaffz70
05-08-2009, 06:59 AM
I have to say that the garden Grill was one of our favorites. Someone had recommended it to us..and I almost canceled at the last minute and was so glad I didn't. It's pretty quiet there, you sit in a booth that rotates (so slow u wouldn't notice) around all the lands. The food was great, served family style - turkey, mashed potatoes, fish and steak I think - nice change from the usual. The booth was so private that you didn't notice when the characters suddenly came by and sat down with us - they each spent alot of time w/ us!!! Chip, Dale, Mickey and Pluto
I just noticed you said lunch - they do not have characters for lunch:(

Tinkpink
05-08-2009, 06:05 PM
We loved Chef Mickey's last year! The food was good and fresh and the characters were so fun!! Our son did not think he would enjoy it (thought it was "babyish") but he loved it and requested we go back!

We are also trying Donald Safari breakfast this year. I am glad to see that is recommended by previous posts!

I noticed both posts suggested a late morning ADR at Donald's Safari...why is that? And what time is recommende?

Thanks!

jpina
05-08-2009, 09:23 PM
Well, I called and tried to get reservations! I went for Chef Mickeys, but couldn't get anything the week that we are there for an early dinner.

I ended up with Donald's Safari Breakfast, but all I could get was a 9:00. I went for it, but now I'm worried that it is going to give us a late start at Animal Kingdom. I might call and try to do something earlier. That was the latest they could do for our days.

I also made reservations at Garden Grill for an early dinner. I'm happy with that one.