PDA

View Full Version : interesting rumor

Strmchsr
05-07-2009, 07:22 AM
I had lunch yesterday with a good friend who's a senior CM (been with WDW 20+ years). She said this is not confirmed by any means, but it currently looks like a good possibility that Fantasmic will be going away and they will bring back Sorcery in the Sky. A new ride will go where Fantasmic is currently located (she didn't know what that new ride might be only that a new ride was being discussed at that location). She said it'll probably be 2012 or so before anything of this could happen, and, as I mentioned, it's far from confirmed, but I was excited about the idea of the return of Sorcery in the Sky. Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.

elmjimmlm
05-07-2009, 08:31 AM
Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.

On the other hand, isn't that a sign of how much this show is loved?

SBETigg
05-07-2009, 08:33 AM
Fantasmic is a great show, but I haven't felt the need to go back in a few years. It's not worth the hassle and time for us now. I wouldn't have wanted to miss it entirely, glad I saw it once or twice, but maybe it's time to move on.

Mousemates
05-07-2009, 08:35 AM
Wow...huge lines 1st equals a cutback in the number of weekly showings :(...and now it means cancellation :confused:. What is the logical part of this that I am I missing?

JPL
05-07-2009, 08:43 AM
The part you are missing is that Fantasmic costs $30,000 a show to put on according to some sources. So do the math $60,000 a night when they have 2 shows. $420,000 a week multiply that by 52 weeks a year $21.8 million a year added directly to the bottom line.

brownie
05-07-2009, 08:56 AM
The part you are missing is that Fantasmic costs $30,000 a show to put on according to some sources. So do the math $60,000 a night when they have 2 shows. $420,000 a week multiply that by 52 weeks a year $21.8 million a year added directly to the bottom line.

Wouldn't it be taken away from the bottom line and not added?

I really enjoy Fantasmic! and hope that if they are planning on getting rid of it, they wait until after I can see it again. Disneyland just made some changes to their Fantasmic!, so it makes me wonder if this is something that's not under serious consideration.

GoinGoofyPlanninThisTrip
05-07-2009, 09:05 AM
I'm not familiar with Sorcery in the Sky. Where does one view this?

BMan62
05-07-2009, 09:36 AM

And how does that compare to Wishes and Illuminations? Throwing out a bunch of numbers without any comparison is ludicrous.

What would be the cost of "Sorcery In The Sky" per night/week/year?

BriarRose
05-07-2009, 09:49 AM
Truthfully, we only saw Fantasmic once in all the times we have gone to WDW. I think it's because I am comparing it to the DL version, which is soooo much better. That being said, I would definately enjoy a different show.

animalkingdomguy
05-07-2009, 10:01 AM
Actually this would be a very sound business decision. The amphlitheatre used for this show is dedicated for this show and as such is only used a small portion of any park day. This real estate is valuable and is under utilized. If Disney opened a singnature ride attraction that drew crowds and allowed visitors to enjoy the attraction all day they would be much further ahead.

Changing the signature fireworks show to a wishes-like attraction would disperse the crowds and smooth the foot traffic. Think about wishes, the guests are directly adjacent to main street shops were they might be tempted to shop before and after the wishes show. This places people near food and shopping venues where they are prone to drop cash.

Also, since Hollywood Studio has a dedicated back stage area that could be used as a lauch site for the fireworks show and buildings for lasers, HS could make a really great show with viewing opportunities from many locations of the parks.

Don't get me wrong I love Fantasmic, but from a business model there are better fits to the night time spectacular that could leverage more profits and please park guests with entertainment and improved foot traffic and less congestion.

As a tangent it has always irritated my family that the HTH, RNR and Fantasmic caused a perfect storm of chaos in that tiny area of the park during evening hours.

JPL
05-07-2009, 10:07 AM
It's diffivult to compare apples to oranges since Fantasmic has performers and techs that aren't needed in fireworks shows. Removing Fantasmic was one of the first cutbacks since it saved the most. I believe the average firework show costs around $15,000- $20,000 a night and is only run once.

FriendsofMickey
05-07-2009, 10:14 AM
:( We love Fantasmic! I think it is the best nighttime show that Disney World has.

MOJoe
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
My question would be "Why get rid of Fantasmic?" There are other, better suited areas in the Studios to add attractions. Why put another one there? The most congested area in the park!

If Disney is trying to save money, or for that matter, encourage attendance, the Fantasmic schedule can be changed at a moments notice. You wouldn't have to get rid of it forever. But if they really want to tear something down to build over it, how about Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour or the Streets of America?
I don't want a Disney Studios where everyone takes the first right after they enter the park.

Ian
05-07-2009, 11:37 AM
Apparently the WDW suits feel Fantasmic is a "bad guest experience" because of the huge lines, long waits, and packing everyone into the theater.They're not the only ones that feel that way.

Personally, I find Fantasmic the most overrated, boring, pointless half hour I've ever spent in my entire life.

I haven't bothered seeing it years and would be thrilled if they dumped it and put something in that space that was even moderately enjoyable.

Gooftroop5
05-07-2009, 11:39 AM
Changing the signature fireworks show to a wishes-like attraction would disperse the crowds and smooth the foot traffic. Think about wishes, the guests are directly adjacent to main street shops were they might be tempted to shop before and after the wishes show. This places people near food and shopping venues where they are prone to drop cash.

This is similar to what my mother said when I told her this morning. Except hers was more that its a long time that people are sitting to long to hold seats & wait in line to get in when they could be out shopping & spending money instead they are just waiting around.

With Disney as is all companies its not just the cost of the show its where else they are losing money. Between the cost for the show where they could do something cheaper they need to get the money circulating elsewhere.

A new ride is needed they cut back so much else there they need another draw for the whole day not just an hour at night. Its a park that a lot of people here only go 1/2 day & not a lot of people that take a 1-2 trip even mess with going to. I am even guilty of that. The studio more then 1 day is not a big deal to me.

Of course it is easy for me to talk in all the years I have been (including last December) this will be my first trip (and possibly last) where I get to see Fantasmic.

senderella
05-07-2009, 11:55 AM
I agree with others, I would not be disappointed with Fantasmic going away. I don't like waiting in line and then sitting in your seat for an hour or so when I could be riding other rides. I also don't like the stampede when it is over. My kids have been nearly run over in the past.
I would vote for another ride.
NOW, I would die if Wishes went away! Wishes sums the whole Disney experience into one show. It is magic, gives me chills everytime.

Katzateer
05-07-2009, 11:57 AM
Sorcery in the Sky is a great fireworks display-we have seen it a few times and loved it. But it is nothing compared to Fantasmic. It would certainly be cheaper and easier for guests to watch than being packed into the theatre. I wouldn't mind being able to see it again-I know they still show it for special occasions.

JRocker
05-07-2009, 01:10 PM
I kind of like this rumor. We should track CM/Bus Driver rumors and vote for the best ones each year.:thumbsup:
Then maybe they'll come true. ;)

I have seen Fantasmic twice. Our first experience ranks among our top 10 worst things that have happened to us at WDW. We stood in line for an hour (lost revenue for Disney), and then when we did get in, it was standing room only. After a long day in the parks, standing to watch a show was not on my list of most exciting things to do.
Every single time I would squat down to rest my weary legs, a CM would be right there to explain that there was no sitting in the standing area... Instead of on vacation, I felt like I was at a high school assembly, and the CM was that evil World Lit teacher. :ill:
To top it all off, I couldn't hardly see the show because of all the people standing in front of me.
I still consider that moment a wasted 2 hours (lost revenue for Disney).
The second time (and last) we saw the show, I was properly seated about four rows back. The show was entertaining and I enjoyed it. However, I did not enjoy it enough to ever stand in line and lose two hours of park time again.
For myself, it is just not worth the wait. I know for many, many others it is. But, this customer would be pleased to see it go away and replaced with something else. Only if it is replaced with something else though.

Long live Cast Member rumors!:number1:

Laughin' place
05-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Just goes to show how different opinions can be here, even tho we have so much in common.
We consider Fantasmic a "must do". We have, since the inception of the plan, used the "dine and view" package, having dinner at Mamma Melrose's and then avoiding the line and wait by sitting in the reserved section. I think Fantasmic is one of the greatest spectacles Ive ever seen. Id be very disappointed if it were to be removed.

GothMickey
05-07-2009, 01:32 PM
1. This came from a CM. We all know about CMs. To the OP, no offense, but, CMs are the last people who we should listen to regarding rumors.

2. Fantasmic is due to get a little face lift once the economy turns and the green light is given.

3. The management knows how popular Fantasmic is. There was a huge outcry from guests when the show was cut. Imagine being cancelled???

4. What doesn't make sense is "a bad guest experience." If it is a bad experience, it is because the "brains" cut the show, thus making the select showings way over crowded. Run Fantasmic nightly, 2 shows a night like usual, and I betcha no guest has a "bad experience."

JRocker
05-07-2009, 02:05 PM
Run Fantasmic nightly, 2 shows a night like usual, and I betcha no guest has a "bad experience."

Actually, my bad experience happened when they were doing exactly that. So pay up. ;)

I totally agree that if the show was cancelled there would be huge outcry, and you are right that we have already seen evidence of this with the cutbacks. Not from me though.

I also agree with another poster that if they placed another e-ticket at that dead end, it would be a disaster. Just witness the area when Fantasmic lets out.:crowd:

JabberJaws
05-07-2009, 02:20 PM
I will say the following about this rumor:

Another poster mentioned that CMs are typically the last to hear about this stuff. They are dead-on with that remark. I was a CM in both the front-line and corporate/marketing side and can safely say that every CM (particularly front-liners) think they have the scoop, but they usually don't. For example, I had a friend who worked at a WDW restaraunt. Some imagineers were eating there, and one left behind some notepad or something. The notepad was full of all of these changes to the parks that made it sound like were imminent. One of these was turning DAK into Disney's Lion Kingdom, and theming EVERYTHING there around the lion king. Needless to say this NEVER happened haha.
From a logistical standpoint, it would be a terrible idea, and probably not feasible, to put a new e or d ticket attraction where F! is. Think about the traffic issues already caused by RnR and ToT being right next to one another.
Considering the fact that the site was designed specifically for F!, including all electric wiring, water, facilities, etc etc, it wouldn't be feasible from a cost standpoint to gut it and replace it.
There is money being put into F! at DL to update it.

I would suspect you will see similar improvements/upgrades at WDW's F! as you are seeing at DL's F! I think the show is in need of a facelift, but can't imagine disney gutting and replacing. That would cost more than simple upgrades to F! IMO.

GothMickey
05-07-2009, 03:52 PM

Another poster mentioned that CMs are typically the last to hear about this stuff. They are dead-on with that remark. I was a CM in both the front-line and corporate/marketing side and can safely say that every CM (particularly front-liners) think they have the scoop, but they usually don't. For example, I had a friend who worked at a WDW restaraunt. Some imagineers were eating there, and one left behind some notepad or something. The notepad was full of all of these changes to the parks that made it sound like were imminent. One of these was turning DAK into Disney's Lion Kingdom, and theming EVERYTHING there around the lion king. Needless to say this NEVER happened haha.
From a logistical standpoint, it would be a terrible idea, and probably not feasible, to put a new e or d ticket attraction where F! is. Think about the traffic issues already caused by RnR and ToT being right next to one another.
Considering the fact that the site was designed specifically for F!, including all electric wiring, water, facilities, etc etc, it wouldn't be feasible from a cost standpoint to gut it and replace it.
There is money being put into F! at DL to update it.

I would suspect you will see similar improvements/upgrades at WDW's F! as you are seeing at DL's F! I think the show is in need of a facelift, but can't imagine disney gutting and replacing. That would cost more than simple upgrades to F! IMO.

DL's Fantasmic is getting a new snake/dragon, correct? Give it some time and it will make it's way to Orlando as well. There is also a rumor that the hat was soon to be taken down. This came out of the 20th celebration for DHS. In fact, the imagineers alluded to it. IF, and I stress IF, Fantasmic goes away, and Sorcery in the Sky returns, removing the hat makes sense since it will block the view of some of the fireworks.

But, answer me this: When Pixar Place was constructed, wasn't the cannons for the fireworks for Sorcery in the Sky removed? :confused:

JabberJaws
05-07-2009, 04:11 PM
DL's Fantasmic is getting a new snake/dragon, correct? Give it some time and it will make it's way to Orlando as well. .

Yeah DL's F! is getting a new dragon that looks like the SB dragon rather than a modified piece of construction equipment like WDWs! They are also getting a rather large animatronic tick-tock croc for the PP scene, and two large animatronic floating Floatsum and Jetsum figures. I believe they are also getting HD projectors for the water projection scenes, which are supposed to really make the projections pop and be crystal clear.

I can almost guarantee you that you will see updates similar to these come to WDW soon.

GrumpyFan
05-07-2009, 04:15 PM
Interesting rumour, and half-way feasible. Fantasmic is somewhat of a hassle to get in and out of, and it's not the greatest show of the night time spectaculars. I wouldn't mind seeing it scrapped for a new attraction. The question is, what attraction are they considering?

big blue and hairy
05-07-2009, 05:39 PM
I understand that some people love it, but I wouldn't miss it all. I would certainly welcome a big new attraction that would use the space all day long.

from Ian

Personally, I find Fantasmic the most overrated, boring, pointless half hour I've ever spent in my entire life. I'm not sure it's that bad, but I would be ok if it went away.

:sulley:

SteveL
05-07-2009, 06:15 PM
I understand that some people love it, but I wouldn't miss it all. I would certainly welcome a big new attraction that would use the space all day long.

from Ian
I'm not sure it's that bad, but I would be ok if it went away.

I think Ian hit the nail on the head. WDW's version is but a poor attempt to recreate the wonder of DL's Fantasmic. WDW's is bound by being in a built ampitheater, while DL's can make full use of the Rivers of America, the Columbia, and Tom Sawyer Island.

GrumpyFan
05-07-2009, 06:27 PM
I think Ian hit the nail on the head. WDW's version is but a poor attempt to recreate the wonder of DL's Fantasmic. WDW's is bound by being in a built ampitheater, while DL's can make full use of the Rivers of America, the Columbia, and Tom Sawyer Island.

I don't necessarily think that the built amphitheater is its biggest problem. I think the crowding and seating issues are a bigger problem. No other night-time spectacular has this kind of set up where it's limited to just so many or few. It creates unnecessary tension and stress for guests when they have to wait in that line, then scramble to find good seats. It's just not a show that's accessible to all guests in the park.

Another issue this show has always had, is it's somewhat inferior in it's story line. If you've seen the one at DL, you'll agree that it's much better, but it's not because of the location, it's the story.

Ian
05-07-2009, 06:58 PM
from Ian
I'm not sure it's that bad, but I would be ok if it went away.Actually, I soft-pedaled how bad I think it is. ;)

I mean really ... why in the world would I wait in line 2 stinkin' hours for the privilege of sitting on rock hard, cold metal benches and watching movies that I've already seen being projected onto spraying water (thus making them hard to see), and then being sprayed by said water just enough to make me slightly cold and damp???? :confused:

Even the other elements are dull. The fireworks are generic and low tech, the "story" is as predictable and uninteresting as you can get, and to top it all off you have to watch it crammed in with a million other people just as irritated as you are.

Worst show ever!

1DisneyNut
05-07-2009, 07:02 PM
The smart thing to do would be to build tower seating to basically double the occupancy and improve the traffic flow. Fantasmic is a very popular show as evidenced by the crowds and the outcry when showings were reduced. I took a group to WDW several years ago and there were several members who had never been. They loved the show and I remember one guy in particular standing, clapping and yelling at shows end, he loved it and still comments about it to this day. That is the magic of disney that I love and has me addicted. :D We really enjoy the show and catch it almost every time we are there. If they want to add a new ride add it over on the other side of the park to draw traffic that way for crying out loud.
As for standing in line for and hour or two, we do it all the time to ride a ride that lasts what, a minute. lol

marlaine
05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
We've seen Fantasmic twice, both times with the MaMa Melrose package. Even with the special ticket to get in, it is so much walking after a full day at the park! As far as the show, I think it was very good. It definately kept our interest. This year I have decided to skip it though--after twice I don't think we'll miss it too much. We're going to use the time for smaller lines at the rides instead.

ASweetLov
05-07-2009, 09:17 PM
I Love Fantasmic and its a must do for me and my fiance. I find it to be magical and very disney. I want to be able to take my sister to WDW next year and take her to Fantasmic because I know she would love it to. Waiting in a long line or sitting for awhile before the show starts does not bother me at all, it is well worth it!!!!! I would be completely devastated if it was gone forever!

John
05-08-2009, 12:32 AM
I think Ian is way off base with his hate on this show. It's not that bad. In fact, I'd go as far to say I enjoy it. DL is definately better, hands down, but I think we're being a little harsh.

That being said, would I mind a new nighttime show for that matter in ALL the parks - nope. Growing tired of Illuminations and Fantasmic - and give me about another 12 months and I'll be bored with Wishes too. That's what happens when you go as often as many of us do.

Jaded Disney Syndrome...

Btw, just had to comment on this. The same could have been said for Horizons........

Mousemates
05-08-2009, 01:14 AM
Let me add this disclaimer to the beginning of my post...I am a bonafide fireworks junkie...we have timed visits to disney over the years and have seen all the regular shows as well as the various holiday firework shootings (my personal favorite is MNSSHP). I have also travelled with one of the members in my church who does some large firework shows at various ballparks and amusement parks...I love fireworks.

However, having said that...IMO the last thing WDW needs is another fireworks show. We have wishes already at the MK....we have Illuminations (with fireworks, and the uber cool firebarge at Epcot)...and we have Fantasmic with fire, live actors (which to me is a must at place called a studio) and special effects.

The uniqueness of Fantasmic with all of the disney characters seen in live action... draws big crowds for a reason...and while I might be in the minority here I throughly enjoy those thirty minutes each time we go.

Gooftroop5
05-08-2009, 08:17 AM
3. The management knows how popular Fantasmic is. There was a huge outcry from guests when the show was cut. Imagine being cancelled??? "

When has disney ever listened to people outcried when cancelling or closing things that people miss. Just looking around intercot there are a large number of posts on what people miss, rides, shows, music etc.

People won't stop going to Disney World because they are no longer running Fantasmic.

Ian
05-08-2009, 08:48 AM
I think Ian is way off base with his hate on this show. It's not that bad.To each his own, my friend, but I stand by what I said.

I'd rather ride It's a Small World 100 times in a row than sit through a single showing of Fantasmic. I loathe it.

Venus0880
05-08-2009, 10:35 AM
I might be in the minority here. But I am not particularly crazy about Fantasmic anyway. I feel I wasted a lot of time sitting and waiting for the show to begin (so I could get a decent seat.) And then the crowds leaving the theater were a nightmare. It's not that it was a bad experience, but I cannot say that I will ever do it again unless it's with someone who has never been.

O'MalleytheAlleyCat
05-08-2009, 11:12 AM
I have two kids who are now 17 and 13. We've been going to WDW twice a year since they were 9 and 5 and have seen Fantasmic probably 3 or 4 times. Since we hadn't seen it for a while, I suggested that for our trip this summer. Both kids were very luke-warm about going. :unsure: They would rather spend more time in the park at attractions and not fight the crowds or put up with the chilly dampness you might get from sitting up close. I'm pretty sure both of them would rather see some type of new ride at the Studios, regardless of where it might be located. Now, that being said...our family is one that avoids fireworks and parades like the plague once we've seen them once. Those are great times to go on rides while everyone else is busy!! :thedolls:

BriarRose
05-08-2009, 12:14 PM
To each his own, my friend, but I stand by what I said.

I'd rather ride It's a Small World 100 times in a row than sit through a single showing of Fantasmic. I loathe it.

Although I think you are predispositioned to not like it, I think if you saw the DL version, you'd change your mind (unless you already have, then I think you really don't like it.).

BTW, why didn't they put Fantasmic in the MK? Is it just because they wanted another attraction in DS? Maybe they can move it there. I see no difference waiting 1 to 2 hours for a parade and as far a creating a bottleneck in Frontierland, that happens in DL in New Orleans Square (which is a lot smaller), not to mention the hassle of getting around when a parade is going on at either DL or WDW.
Also, you wouldn't be sitting so close as to get wet.

LarryBoy
05-08-2009, 01:00 PM
I think Ian is way off base with his hate on this show. It's not that bad. In fact, I'd go as far to say I enjoy it. DL is definately better, hands down, but I think we're being a little harsh.

That being said, would I mind a new nighttime show for that matter in ALL the parks - nope. Growing tired of Illuminations and Fantasmic - and give me about another 12 months and I'll be bored with Wishes too. That's what happens when you go as often as many of us do.

I too enjoy Fantasmic, but I wouldn't be too upset if it left either. Especially if they replaced it with a good E-ticket (like a really cool Indiana Jones ride). Heck, there's enough room there to put a whole land or area.
I have been bored with Illuminations for a while now. I preferred the show before it, where they played music from all the countries.

DisneyNut2005
05-08-2009, 01:35 PM
When has disney ever listened to people outcried when cancelling or closing things that people miss. Just looking around intercot there are a large number of posts on what people miss, rides, shows, music etc.

The reality is that those of us on the Internet are really a very teeny-tiny minority.

Just because the majority of the people on the Internet miss something doesn't always mean that the entire public at large feels the same way.

I'm not saying that they hate the hardcore fans or anything, but It's the majority of the guests (the non-fanatics, casual visitors, etc.)that Disney has to please first and foremost in order to survive as a company.

Jasper
05-08-2009, 01:36 PM

You know, the congestion doesn't have to be bad if they put an E ride on the current fantasmic location. I don't know where you currently enter the theater if you do the Fantasmic dining program but it used to be down by the restrooms near the front entrance to the park.

While entering the theater from that direction in the past I have commented several times that they have enough land back there to put in an entire new street of shops ending with an E ride attraction at the current Fantasmic location and then looping back in front of the Tower of Terror.

And as for money, when Disney decides a project is worth doing then money is not an issue. Any time in the past when they decided to do something they always found the money to do it and I am sure that is still the case today!

GrumpyFan
05-08-2009, 01:44 PM
I would add for those who think it's not feasible because of the land or the current layout/traffic issues. Don't forget that this is the same company that transformed what would be considered swamp land into a mega-entertainment resort. If they decide to do it, and they want to spend the money, they can pretty much do whatever they want regardless of what's there now.

Skippy
05-08-2009, 02:10 PM
Wow - Surprised to see all the Fantasmic hate in here. The music, the choreography, fireworks and characters. This is a must see for my family.

I have turned a couple of families that go (even ones that don't like parades and shows) into going to see Fantasmic!.

I will admit that we don't go to Disney when it's busy. So a full stadium still has seating room available when we go. This may play into many people's decision of liking or disliking it. I have also wondered if they would think of doing double tiered seating for the show to accommodate the busy times.

BrerGnat
05-08-2009, 02:19 PM
Has anyone thought that maybe the reason they are "upgrading" the DL version of Fantasmic is because they really DO plan to scrap the WDW one? Thus making Fantasmic another DLR "unique" experience again? Pumping money into making one version better while cutting back shows of the other at the same time doesn't seem right, and saying that WDW's Fantasmic "will get the same makeover later, when the economy is better" does not make any sense. Why not just do them at the same time?

The truth is, Ian is right. Fantasmic STINKS at WDW. That's right...I said it. I will stand by his comment that it is just about the WORST waste of time at WDW.

On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great. I love seeing it there. :thumbsup: If, in fact, the "WDW Execs" have called WDW's Fantasmic a "bad guest experience", I'd say they hit the nail right on the head...I will never see WDW's Fantasmic ever again. Total waste of time, uncomfortable, and being jostled around like a herd of cattle is NOT my idea of a good time at WDW. Plus, the show is lame...

I never saw Sorcery in the Sky, but perhaps if they had fireworks at DHS, people would stick around there longer, and not hurry off to MK or Epcot every night...

BriarRose
05-08-2009, 02:21 PM
And as for money, when Disney decides a project is worth doing then money is not an issue. Any time in the past when they decided to do something they always found the money to do it and I am sure that is still the case today!

I would add for those who think it's not feasible because of the land or the current layout/traffic issues. Don't forget that this is the same company that transformed what would be considered swamp land into a mega-entertainment resort. If they decide to do it, and they want to spend the money, they can pretty much do whatever they want regardless of what's there now.

Unfortunately, if things were ran the way they are now back then, neither DL or WDW would exist. Back then, Walt Disney had many people telling him that what he envisioned was not financially sound, but (I think) he morgaged his own house and brought in investors and made it work. Today, I don't think there is anyone at Disney that would have the clout to greenlight a project that the board has said no to because they believe it would be too expensive.

GrumpyFan
05-08-2009, 03:26 PM
I agree, things are much different now then they were when WDW was built. And, Disney is reluctant now days to do massive building projects. I must however, point out that he wasn't alive when they built WDW.
Also, I must point out that they do still build big attractions. Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.

Gooftroop5
05-08-2009, 03:45 PM
The reality is that those of us on the Internet are really a very teeny-tiny minority.

Just because the majority of the people on the Internet miss something doesn't always mean that the entire public at large feels the same way.

I'm not saying that they hate the hardcore fans or anything, but It's the majority of the guests (the non-fanatics, casual visitors, etc.)that Disney has to please first and foremost in order to survive as a company.

Disney as any other company only answers to one group of people & that is the majority stock holders. They are a lot smaller then any group that is on the internet.

There is not enough people that have stopped going because of they changed or got rid of favorite attractions. The people just keep coming. That was my whole point. There is a lot of stuff Disney has gotten rid of over the years that people miss. There are something things that people wish would go away but don't.

Until the majority stop going to the Parks, seeing & buying movies, merchandise etc Disney will not answer to anything but the stockholders.

fupresti
05-08-2009, 03:51 PM
Count me among those who loathe Fantasmic. I have seen it once and I was bored to tears. Wishes and Illuminations trigger emotions that Fantasmic just doesn't compare to.

Part of me wonders if the suits at Disney think that if the Wonderful World of Color at DCA is a hit, they will just export it to Hollywood Studios.

kakn7294
05-08-2009, 03:59 PM
I loved Sorcery in the Sky! I've never been a huge fan of Fantasmic, mostly due to the huge crush of people crowded into that theater but I also find the show somewhat boring and I hate when the water curtain blows mist into the crowd and onto my glasses - and this can happen even in the top rows. I'm doing the Fantasmic dinner package in July but if the crowds are as badly behaved as reported lately, I'll just end up skipping Fantasmic and still will have enjoyed my dinner.

BriarRose
05-08-2009, 04:13 PM
I must however, point out that he wasn't alive when they built WDW.
Also, I must point out that they do still build big attractions. Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.

That's true, but he was alive when they were buying the property. Also, no DL=no WDW (most likely).

As far as building big attractions, anyone who went to DL in 1998 remembers Rocket Rods. There was nothing like seeing the fire extinguishers every few feet to add to the experience. Luckily, I wasn't there to witness any of the fires. And what about Stitch's Great Escape? That was a great one, too. I'm sure there are many more examples of not wanting to foot the bill for an attraction.

JabberJaws
05-08-2009, 04:29 PM
Btw, just had to comment on this. The same could have been said for Horizons........

Touche John, touche.

I have read through all the posts and read all the arguments and still must say that IMO I don't see closing F! in favor of Sorcerer in the Sky as happening. But then again, what do I know!:confused:

One thing that I think is being overlooked though, with the big sorceror's hat and Pixar Place, is everything still there that would need to be there for Sorceror in the Sky? Also, they would have to close off Pixar Place to do the fireworks show. Would they be willing to go through the trouble of closing off that area, which includes one of the more, if not most, currently popular rides in the park?

Also, with the hat in place, would Sorceror in the Sky even work the same way? Wouldn't the hat block the view of the giant inflatable mickey (which I never really thought was all that great to be honest).

Everyone is entitled to their opinion. I have always been a HUGE F! fan (NOT a fan of the crowds or the long wait, but the show itself). I even did merchandise vending there back during my CM days, and saw the show sometimes 3 times a night, and never really got tired of it.

It just seems that the more cost effective decision would be to upgrade based on the DL upgrades rather than a gut and replace.

Rememeber all the rumors a few years back that WDI was going to gut and replace SE with a high speed thrill ride. Turned out not to be feasible structurally or cost-wise, so they simply upgraded what they already had.

If you think WDI could greenlight a project like this when Disney's profits (and my stock!) dropped like a rock this quarter, largely based on theme park revenue, then they have an easy-to-please board!

Scar
05-09-2009, 11:17 AM
My opinion comes from someone who has seen it twice. Both times with no wait and not crowded and no kids. Boring. I will never see it again, crowded or not, unless I was with my nieces and they wanted me to take them.

As far putting attractions into that area. Why not? DHS is already completely discombobulated and laid out horribly. Can't make it much worse than it already is.

DizneyFreak2002
05-09-2009, 12:22 PM
Expedition was reported to have been close to $100 million, as was Mission:Space.

Expedition Everest was over 100 million I believe and almost all of the effects do not work... Heck, the Yeti has been broken for over a year... Mission Space was over 100 million as well and is one heck of a dumb and boring attraction...

Polynesian Dweller
05-09-2009, 04:11 PM
The truth is, Ian is right. Fantasmic STINKS at WDW. That's right...I said it. I will stand by his comment that it is just about the WORST waste of time at WDW.

On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great. I love seeing it there. :thumbsup:

Not sure i'd go as far as Stinks, but yes, when you've seen the DL version you can tell how little of that magic is captured in the DHS version, almost none. We were terribily disappointed when we first saw it and won't see it again.

A large part of not seeing it again is the amphitheatre. The steel seats and all the concrete make a very dull setting that just adds to the unpleasantness of dealing with the crowds.

tigmickey
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
WOW. All this time I thought that F! was great. I try to get to WDW every 12-18 months and plan on seeing it at least once. The first year it opened I was staying at Boardwalk and saw it 4 times, just a quick boat ride away. All of the arguements about long line, crowding and lost revenue had to have been known. The Imagineers are the group that the Smithsonian goes to when they can't figure out traffic patterns. After giving this rumor a TON of thought, I think it will stay with improvements.:fingers:

FYI, those people that don't like, stop going and that will relieve the crowds. JK

Maleficent's Dad
05-09-2009, 06:54 PM
Been following this thread with great interest... Thanks to Chris for the original post! :thumbsup:

On the other hand, Fantasmic at DL is great.

A large part of not seeing it again is the amphitheatre. The steel seats and all the concrete make a very dull setting that just adds to the unpleasantness of dealing with the crowds.
Here's my problem - I thought the "seating" for the audience at DL was atrocious. I mean, seriously, there is NO "seating" whatsoever. People line up around the area hours ahead of time, making navigating the park rather difficult.

And going to the "second show" in DL is no fun either - there are multitudes of people leaving the first show... while all those seeking the second are scouting out the area and "plopping themselves down" on an area.

It's all very odd...

DL's problem with Fantasmic is a logistical one.
I rather enjoy the ampitheater in WDW whereas there is seating and set walkways for entrances/exits.

BrerGnat
05-09-2009, 07:38 PM
Frank is right about the logisitical issues DL faces with Fantasmic.

HOWEVER, I see it as being no different from waiting around to watch the fireworks at either MK, DL, or Epcot. It's essentially the same thing. If you are not interested in seeing Fantasmic at DL, it does make getting around that area difficult, which just sort of requires some more advanced planning to avoid the area altogether.

However, in terms of "seating" and stuff, the truth is, it's not necessary to stake out a spot so early. A lot of people do that, but you could just as easily walk up 10 min prior to showtime and stand there with everyone else and see the show just fine. That's how I've always done it.

The way the pavement is sloped and the "tiered" sidewalks, it provides a good vantage point, and since Tom Sawyer Island is elevated, you can see just fine from anywhere around the Rivers of America.

I like how you are WAY up close at DL, and it seems like you are more part of the show that way. And, when it's over, people just sort of disperse. They're not all funneled in ONLY one direction...

Polynesian Dweller
05-09-2009, 09:26 PM
WOW. All this time I thought that F! was great.

Just to clarify, I don't think the DHS version is terrible, for me its a matter or comparison. We agreed that if we hadn't seen the DL version we would have enjoyed the show but having seen DL's, it didn't work for us.

I understand what Frank is saying about DL's logistics. Been caught up in that. I'm not sure exactly why it is but for some reason we found that less annoying than the amphitheatre setting at DHS.

It likely has something to do with standing in the same location in DL that you did during the day to see DL's HM or POTC or ride the Mark Twain riverboat and now its transformed into a show. And, the Mark Twain and Columbia boats are an essential part of the show at DL. Just added magic that you can't get at DHS which is clearly just set pieces in a show rather than the theme park and its pieces being the show (like at DL). Hope that all made sense. ;)

Camping Mom
05-10-2009, 12:16 AM
We absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! We took the local high school to Disneyworld one year and several adults had to wait and get seats for about 200 people. One of the kids remarked "it better be worth all this." Afterwards. I asked if it was. His face lit up and he said "Oh, yes!" If the show can make a cynical teenager grin and get starry eyed, imagine what it can do for the younger kids...or the chid in all of us. It would break our hearts to lose Fantasmic!:(

ti2gr
05-10-2009, 12:32 AM
[QUOTE=JabberJaws;1883716]I will say the following about this rumor:

QUOTE]

Considering the fact that the 27,400 acres that Disney World now sits on was once swampland, don't ever say that it's not feasible. If Disney wants to do it, they can and will.

joelkfla
05-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Don't forget that this is the same company that transformed what would be considered swamp land into a mega-entertainment resort.
Different time -- different world.

That was personally driven by Walt. Although he didn't live to see it, it was his dream that made it happen.

Today's Disney is driven by short-term bottom-line, and keeping Wall Street happy.

Meteora
05-10-2009, 11:02 AM
We absolutely LOVE Fantasmic! We took the local high school to Disneyworld one year and several adults had to wait and get seats for about 200 people. One of the kids remarked "it better be worth all this." Afterwards. I asked if it was. His face lit up and he said "Oh, yes!" If the show can make a cynical teenager grin and get starry eyed, imagine what it can do for the younger kids...or the chid in all of us. It would break our hearts to lose Fantasmic!

Seconded. This show is quite possibly our favorite thing in the World, and we would be beyond heartbroken to see it go. That being said, we have never seen the Disneyland version (but after all this hype, I really want to!) We'd be totally on board for some improvements, though.

LudwigVonDrake
05-10-2009, 01:44 PM
If Fantasmic went away I wouldn't miss it. I watched it once and thought it was okay.

I'd believe this when I see it. It's not likely to happen but stranger things have happened.

DizneyFreak2002
05-10-2009, 03:13 PM
Different time -- different world.

That was personally driven by Walt. Although he didn't live to see it, it was his dream that made it happen.

Today's Disney is driven by short-term bottom-line, and keeping Wall Street happy.

While that may be true about Disney company in whole, remember that Team Disney Orlando is driven by charging more and more money for things while lowering the product... Walmarting of Disney if you will.. They cut budgets for refurbs, they cut budgets for new rides, they cut budgets for maintenance... Do you all honestly think TDO will open up their pocket book to dismantle the ampitheater and build a huge e-ticket attraction??? That will cost way more than Everest... No way will TDO EVER spend that kind of money... Heck, even in the MK they dismantled a theater only to make it a staging ground for the SM refurb and then once that is done, into a parking lot... Huge chunk of prime real estate in their number 1 theme park and that is the direction they choose???

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 08:30 PM
I've been to F twice both times the wait was too long for the show. I like the show and all the special effects that go with F. I do not like to wait for it and I was not planning on seeing the show on our upcoming trip.

I would also like to see anther E-ticket attraction in its place. Narnia comes to mind.

PirateLover
05-10-2009, 10:07 PM
When I first saw F! in 2002 I was a 16 year old kid who was floored. I thought it was fabulous. We went again in 2007- 5 years difference- and I was underwhelmed. Did not enjoy it nearly as much as I had remembered. I won't see it again, and would welcome something new.

jusandnew
05-11-2009, 08:32 AM
I love the Fantasmic show. When I go I make a point to see it. It never gets old to me. In August my family will be there and I see they are only offering certain days of it. With this being said I make my schedule around it , so we can see it.
My kids ask me everytime if the can see it.

I have never seen the Sorceror in the Sky. I looked it up and it looks like a fireworks show. I do not even see the one at MK.
If they took the Fantasmic show away I will be very disappointed.

LarryBoy
05-11-2009, 09:56 AM
So if Fantasy in the Sky came back, wouldn't the hat have to go? :thumbsup: I think that alone would be a good reason.

Stu29573
05-11-2009, 10:48 AM
KILL
THE
HAT:thedolls:

GothMickey
05-11-2009, 12:06 PM
I would also like to see anther E-ticket attraction in its place. Narnia comes to mind.

Disney isn't making another Narnia film so don't count on a Narnia attraction. Prince Caspian wasn't the money maker they thought it would be. Disney is now concentrating on Prince of Persia. If Fantasmic was to be shut, which it won't, you would more likely see a Prince of Persia ride, not Narnia. Also, that area is hard to theme. How would Narnia fit on Sunset Blvd?

GothMickey
05-11-2009, 12:07 PM
KILL
THE
HAT:thedolls:

May be happening sooner than later. :thumbsup:

katzctkpt
05-11-2009, 12:20 PM
We love Fantasmic and hate to hear it may go. I do think that DHS needs other rides similar to rrc and tot but needs to be on the other side of the park to take away conjestion on that street. I'd rather see the stunt show leave before Fantasmic.

GrumpyFan
05-11-2009, 12:42 PM
Screamscape reported a rumor this morning, that they might also be considering a "re-boot" of Fantasmic. In doing so, they would re-write the Florida version and give it a whole new script. They didn't give specifics nor anything concrete, but it sounds like the execs at WDW and DHS are at the least looking into how they can do something with this piece of property.

PixieMagic
05-11-2009, 01:10 PM
Hooray! I may be the minority, but after seeing fantasmic once we decided to never go back! I would love to see sorcery in the sky return and a new ride added!!:thumbsup:

harlowandthemermaid
05-11-2009, 01:34 PM
I also haven't seen Fantasmic for years although I did really enjoy it the first few times. I just don't feel the need to keep going back. I would be interested in seeing it replaced with something different.

GothMickey
05-11-2009, 02:35 PM
Screamscape reported a rumor this morning, that they might also be considering a "re-boot" of Fantasmic. In doing so, they would re-write the Florida version and give it a whole new script. They didn't give specifics nor anything concrete, but it sounds like the execs at WDW and DHS are at the least looking into how they can do something with this piece of property.

Well, it is Screamscape so take it with a grain of salt. However, part of the reboot included a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea scene, which was supposed to be part of the "original" script. This so-called reboot would theme Fantasmic to Hollywood movies, not just Disney animated movies. Pirates would get a scene as well.

Skippy
05-11-2009, 03:01 PM
Well, it is Screamscape so take it with a grain of salt. However, part of the reboot included a 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea scene, which was supposed to be part of the "original" script. This so-called reboot would theme Fantasmic to Hollywood movies, not just Disney animated movies. Pirates would get a scene as well.

I'd be interested in this. I'd love to see them tweak it draw in those that say it doesn't touch them the way wishes does

valjane
05-11-2009, 03:09 PM
I hate Fantasmic. I've seen it once and that was enough for me. I think it's the most ridiculous, meandering plot with kind of lame special effects. Totally not worth the time it takes to see it.

Sorcery in the Sky, on the other hand, used to be a really cool fireworks show. However, it was themed to movies, which almost seems out of place in today's version of the "studios."

GrumpyFan
05-11-2009, 03:17 PM

I've always found Screamscape to be fairly reliable. If they have something that's unconfirmed, or rumor, they will say as much. In fact, I exchanged an email with him last week about the original posting of this thread, which in turn prompted today's news/rumor item. His comments to me were that he had not heard anything about the attraction's removal, only the information he posted today, about the possibility that they were looking at some kind of improvement to the show.

The improvement ideas were his own thoughts. Some were based on past ideas and some were his own ideas for what he thought COULD be done. The only thing he actually reported to the rumor was that they were considering some ways of how they could improve the show.

Ian
05-11-2009, 03:19 PM
I hate Fantasmic. I've seen it once and that was enough for me. I think it's the most ridiculous, meandering plot with kind of lame special effects. Totally not worth the time it takes to see it.

Sorcery in the Sky, on the other hand, used to be a really cool fireworks show. However, it was themed to movies, which almost seems out of place in today's version of the "studios."Kindred spirit!! Kindred spirit!!!

We must be long lost relatives. ;)

Goofster
05-11-2009, 04:24 PM
They're not the only ones that feel that way.

Personally, I find Fantasmic the most overrated, boring, pointless half hour I've ever spent in my entire life.

I haven't bothered seeing it years and would be thrilled if they dumped it and put something in that space that was even moderately enjoyable.

Ditto - We usually will see it every other year or so...and sometimes every two years. Its an okay show, but definately not worth the hassle. If they replaced it with something else, I don't think I'd miss it at all.

Rhetoric2000
05-11-2009, 04:26 PM
I really rather like Fantasmic, parts of the show (such as the dragon and end sequence) are magnificent while others (such as the prolonged Pocahontas segment without explanation) clog up the show.

I would be sad to see it go, but would thoroughly understand the business decisions behind it and don't really object to them.

BriarRose
05-11-2009, 06:44 PM
FYI, those people that don't like, stop going and that will relieve the crowds. JK

I don't think people that don't like Fantasmic are the ones filling up the seats. My vacation time is too precious to me to waste it doing something I really don't like to do.

JabberJaws
05-12-2009, 10:05 AM
Well, it is Screamscape so take it with a grain of salt.

Actually Screamscape does a pretty good job with their rumors. He usually only posts stuff after he gets numerous accounts from different folks with the same info. And actually a good portion of his rumors end up being true, and the ones that don't he usually says that they aren't likely or they are unsubstantiated.

That being said, I still don't see the removal of F! happening, but I suppose only time will tell!

cgriff
05-12-2009, 11:00 PM
Team Disney Orlando is driven by charging more and more money for things while lowering the product... Walmarting of Disney if you will.. They cut budgets for refurbs, they cut budgets for new rides, they cut budgets for maintenance...

Oh gee, here we go again... more talking-down of WDW on the basis of spreadsheets, while ignoring the facts that the latest major ride refurbs were very well received (based on ridership and overall reviews), and that the newest rides have been really big hits (again, based on ridership and reviews).

Does DHS stay open during the performance of Fantasmic!? I've not actually seen the Fantasmic! show so I don't know, but if the park is open during it, I'd say keep the show if it draws-in the majority of the parks visitors while shortening lines at the other studio attractions...

GothMickey
05-13-2009, 12:40 PM
Oh gee, here we go again... more talking-down of WDW on the basis of spreadsheets, while ignoring the facts that the latest major ride refurbs were very well received (based on ridership and overall reviews), and that the newest rides have been really big hits (again, based on ridership and reviews).

Does DHS stay open during the performance of Fantasmic!? I've not actually seen the Fantasmic! show so I don't know, but if the park is open during it, I'd say keep the show if it draws-in the majority of the parks visitors while shortening lines at the other studio attractions...

I believe the park stays open during Fantasmic, but I am not 100% sure.

ransam
05-14-2009, 01:19 PM
i love the show...
if you get rid of a show, get rid of the Indiana Jones show. it's a cool show, but good lord, it's only been there for 10 years and adds nothing to the experience....put your ride there.

joonyer
05-14-2009, 02:58 PM
I would be very surprised if this rumor turned out to be true, but if it does, you can count my family as one of those who won't lament the demise of Fantasmic. We've seen it twice, once each on our first two trips with kids, but since then none of my family has felt like it was worth waiting for. The first year we did the dining package, and while we didn't have to wait that long, the reserved seats aren't all that great. The second year we went in early and waited a LONG time, but got very good seats right in front. I'd say we enjoyed the show enough no to walk out before it was over, but not enough that we'll ever want to wait that long for it again. We'd rather spend those hours riding other attractions, or even shopping or eating. I don't foresee us ever going back to see it. It's just not that good.

On the other hand, we love the fireworks at MK and Epcot. They never fail to give me goosebumps from emotion. We make it a point to watch Wishes several times on every trip and I think it is the pure essence of Disney Magic. It never fails to bring tears of happiness to my eyes. Fantasmic doesn't come close to doing that. Never seen Sorcery in the Sky, but I'm going to see if I can find a video of it online. I'd love to see that show come back, regardless of what they do with Fantasmic.

joelkfla
05-14-2009, 07:02 PM
Sorcery in the Sky was a great fireworks show -- for its time.

But the effects that made SITS so special are now part of Wishes, and I think they have also been improved upon in Wishes.

If the Giant Hat were demolished, and SITS were brought back as it existed, IMHO it would be unfavorably compared to Wishes by guests.

Fantasmic! is unique within WDW, and is still immensely popular. Yes, parts of it pale in comparison to the DL version, but that could be fixed with a tightened storyline, better use of the lagoon, and enhanced pyro.

Bass T-bone
05-15-2009, 12:02 PM
I never saw Fantasmic. However I loved Sorcery in the Sky. Especially the music! Hope this rumor turns out to be true.

Stu29573
05-15-2009, 02:03 PM
Hmmmm, an interesting thought came to mind. Would I mind giving up Fantasmic if it also meant getting rid of the hat? It's a tough one. I really like Fantasmic, but I REALLY hate the hat... It might actually be a fair trade....

GothMickey
05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
Hmmmm, an interesting thought came to mind. Would I mind giving up Fantasmic if it also meant getting rid of the hat? It's a tough one. I really like Fantasmic, but I REALLY hate the hat... It might actually be a fair trade....

Fantasmic isn't going away any time soon. There are some real plans to refurb the show by adding new segments and such. Plus, the hat isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Granny Jill A
05-19-2009, 02:50 PM
I just saw Fantasmic for the first time last year, and I was less than enchanted with the performance. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Illuminations. Even my grandchildren ages 10 and 6 were fidgety, and they love everything Disney.

The other fireworks at night are something to behold, and nobody does that better than Disney.

Granny Jill A
05-19-2009, 02:53 PM
......I REALLY hate the hat...

I wasn't crazy about the hat when I first saw it, but now I don't even notice it when I'm in the park. I still call the park Disney/MGM, though.

Melanie
05-19-2009, 06:47 PM
I just saw Fantasmic for the first time last year, and I was less than enchanted with the performance. I guess I was expecting something along the lines of Illuminations. Even my grandchildren ages 10 and 6 were fidgety, and they love everything Disney.

The other fireworks at night are something to behold, and nobody does that better than Disney.

Always interesting to see how different our tastes are on here, as I'd watch Fantasmic! 10x over Illuminations. The current version of Illuminations is a total snoozefest :bored: to me.

I will say though that I'm happy to hear of potential changes to Fantasmic!. I'm in favor of all shows getting enhancements after years have passed. Some new elements to Fantasmic! could really give it new life, whereas I wouldn't mind Illuminations and even Wishes being replaced altogether.

DizneyFreak2002
05-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Well Mel, you may be getting your wish after all, regarding Fantasmic and Illuminations.. Wishes will probably eb around a little longer though...

Ian
05-19-2009, 07:47 PM
I'm the biggest Illuminations fan out there, but even I wouldn't mind seeing it get a little TLC. The current show is closing in on 10 years old.

Scar
05-19-2009, 10:27 PM
Well Mel, you may be getting your wish after all, regarding Fantasmic and Illuminations..What's the rumor regarding Illuminations? Didn't they recently refurb the Globe and inferno barge?

SpecJoe Magic
05-20-2009, 03:42 AM
I can take it or leave it. I think it's a decent show. My biggest problem with it is the way the quality of the show goes up and down throughout. It's equal parts entertaining and lackluster for me. For every part I can think of that I enjoy, I can think of another part that I find boring. I think a big part of what causes that problem is that the show is too long. They could cut about 5-10 minutes out of the show and provide a very enjoyable 15-20 minute performance that would please the majority of guests and decrease the cost of running the show at the same time. Some segments might have to be modified to accommodate the shorter length, but that isn't necessarily a bad thing, as that would give them an opportunity to implement improvements and upgrades that would increase the overall quality of the show. In the long run, they would have a better show that would cost less to run each time than the current show. What do you all think about that idea?

As for whether or not major changes will occur, I'll believe it when I see it. Also, I don't think Sorcery in the Sky is a good alternative. For one thing, it would just be another basic fireworks show, which would likely be too similar to Wishes, and the hat would have to be removed. Once again, I'll believe it when I see it.

Granny Jill A
05-20-2009, 02:15 PM
Always interesting to see how different our tastes are on here, as I'd watch Fantasmic! 10x over Illuminations. The current version of Illuminations is a total snoozefest :bored: to me.

I agree that Illuminations needs an upgrade. I saw Wishes for the first time and thought it was great. Familiarity breeds boredom, however. They need to poll their guests to see which shows need to be revamped.

DizneyFreak2002
05-20-2009, 07:23 PM
I agree that Illuminations needs an upgrade. I saw Wishes for the first time and thought it was great. Familiarity breeds boredom, however. They need to poll their guests to see which shows need to be revamped.

No, they do not need to poll their guests because their polls are fixed anyway...

Celestria
05-21-2009, 01:23 AM
once, in a stampede to get out of the theatre i was knocked down and stepped on multiple times before someone was kind enough to keep people away and help me up.... and it wasn't the cast member standing a foot or so away.

JPL
05-21-2009, 08:33 AM
No, they do not need to poll their guests because their polls are fixed anyway...

Exactly! Disney can take a poll asking if guests want to pay more or pay less for park tickets and some how the poll would come out with guests expressing an interest in paying more for a ticket :rolleyes:

DizneyFreak2002
05-24-2009, 12:28 PM
Exactly! Disney can take a poll asking if guests want to pay more or pay less for park tickets and some how the poll would come out with guests expressing an interest in paying more for a ticket :rolleyes:

Yep, totally skewered to get the results they want.. I refuse to take their surveys, and when I do, I purposely give them an answer they don't want to hear...

azcavalier
05-24-2009, 05:32 PM
They're not the only ones that feel that way.

I agree. My DW and I did the Fantasmic Dinner Package for an anniversary trip and saw the show. We were disappointed....maybe because we had seen the DL version previously, which we thought was really good.

JabberJaws
05-26-2009, 01:40 PM
Plus, the hat isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Just to add to the hearsay and speculation fun here...Screamscape just reported today that at a recent Q&A panel at DHS, which featured a few of the imagineers who were responsible for the original design of DHS, held as part of the 20th anny celebrations, they imagineers mentioned the hat once or twice. One time they even hinted that the hat could at some point be going away by saying that you used to be able to get a great view down Hollywood blvd of the Chinese theater, but that you can't get that view anymore because of the hat, but that sometime in the future you may be able to get the view again.

This comment was followed by applause from the audience, which was followed by laughter from the imagineers who are obviously aware of fans' opinions of the hat. Everytime after that, when they were asked about the hat, they would just kind of smile and laugh off the question.

Could be that the hat is in the works to go bye bye? Whooooo knowwwws!:D

Ian
05-26-2009, 02:51 PM
Man, I hope so. I hate that God-awful thing. It completely ruined the look and feel of the entrance area of the park.

Not to mention that it's just plain tacky looking.

Stu29573
05-26-2009, 04:01 PM
Maybe they could move the hat to where Sounds Dangerous is now....It's about the only place I can think of that would be improved by being demolished and having a pointless, misguided attempt at a park icon added. :thedolls:

big blue and hairy
05-26-2009, 05:45 PM
Maybe they could move the hat to where Sounds Dangerous is now....It's about the only place I can think of that would be improved by being demolished and having a pointless, misguided attempt at a park icon added. :thedolls:Well, I agree with half of your statement. I actaully like the hat, but I loathe Sounds Dangerous.

DizneyFreak2002
05-26-2009, 05:51 PM
It would be nice if the hat goes away... Maybe move it to the front of the park... Can't put in in the back because of the Earful Tower as well as Carsland maybe taking up the Backlot Tour area..

Patricia
05-26-2009, 06:08 PM
Back to the topic..

I think they made a huge mistake trying to copy Fantasmic in an amphitheater. It was great in Disneyland because of the way it was set up on the Island. You can't get that same atmosphere in it's current setting in DHS. I was so excited when they brought it to WDW having seen it in Disneyland (I never miss it when I'm there and even try to see it twice) only to be hugely disappointed. I suppose if you haven't seen the Western version, you'd have nothing to compare it to and may enjoy it more.

Although, I will admit, the crowds in Disneyland can also get scary when it ends.. unless you happen to be watching from a balcony. :mickey:

JPL
05-26-2009, 08:26 PM
Maybe they can hire NASA to come in and fit the Hat with a few Saturn V rocket engines and send it directly towards the Sun.

As for Fantasmic from the balcony at DL best money I ever spent beating the crowds and enjoying some great desserts while watching the show. Of course they could have trimmed the tree in front of the balcony for what they were charging . Too bad the balcony viewing is now gone :(

Imagineer1981
05-27-2009, 06:11 PM
My opinion comes from someone who has seen it twice. Both times with no wait and not crowded and no kids. Boring. I will never see it again, crowded or not, unless I was with my nieces and they wanted me to take them.

As far putting attractions into that area. Why not? DHS is already completely discombobulated and laid out horribly. Can't make it much worse than it already is.

For whatever reason, I agree. I have seen F! plenty of times and every time I hope, I pray, that I'll be like "WOW", but usually I am like "its cool, but not worth the wait"

jaredkari
05-29-2009, 07:44 AM
I agree with many other post. Fantasmic should go. I have only seen the show once and it was ok not really "Fantasmic".

A previous post made the point that this is a large piece of land utilized for one purpose a couple of times a week. WDW would be way ahead to develop this area into a ride and shops that could be used all the time. They would bring in more money and free up some space. I have always felt that HS is one of the most poorly designed parks, and I realize it was originally designed to be a half day park. But having Rock n Rollercoaster and Tower of Terror both at basically the same exact place in the park creates such a head ache with mobs of people.

Perhaps if they created a side street with a new attraction replacing Fantasmic and some places to eat and shop that would relieve some of the pressure at the end of Sunset Blvd. :mickey:

Patricia
05-29-2009, 06:06 PM
As for Fantasmic from the balcony at DL best money I ever spent beating the crowds and enjoying some great desserts while watching the show. Of course they could have trimmed the tree in front of the balcony for what they were charging . Too bad the balcony viewing is now gone :(

Heh, you can still see it from the balcony of Club33. :mickey:

Granny Jill A
06-10-2009, 02:29 PM

I would like to see them update their fireworks shows from time to time. It's too bad we can't "vote" for our favorites :D

Fantasmic
06-19-2009, 06:16 PM
I refuse to belive this :mad:

Familyof4
06-19-2009, 06:32 PM
I would agree that getting rid of fantasmic would be a ncie change. I personally don't like having to wait in line sooooo early for a show. Kids get very antsy and it is not like you can have someone wait for all of you. It feels like herding cattle... A new experience would be welcome.

Boost
06-19-2009, 09:23 PM
I have never seen Fantasmic...am I missing out?

Familyof4
06-20-2009, 07:22 AM
I am not the biggest fan of Fantasmic. I have seen it once and it was nice. I am a believer that you need to everything at least once. It is just that all of the pomp and circumstance leading up to it, i.e. the line, wait, etc tend to aggravate yo prior to seeing the show. I would say see it once and you be the judge.