PDA

View Full Version : weather at WDW in August 17th to 27th

Tinkgirl28
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
Hey everyone,
Hey has anyone been to WDW in late August? saying like the 17th-27th? if so could please let me know what the weather is like? I know its gonna be hot but i was wondering how hot. I will be there in August with 2 kids 8 and 5 and just wanted to know how they should dress for hot weather. ANyway please get back to me and let me know.

:mickey:

SBETigg
05-06-2009, 02:04 PM
It's extremely hot and humid. The kind of hot where it's uncomfortable to have a lot on your skin and the kind of humid where you don't ever dry off if you go on a water ride to cool down. The wet clothes becomes your body temp, but they stay damp. You want light fabrics, light colors, and a rain poncho because it tends to be a stormy time of year. Rain comes on fast and usually goes away just as quickly. Sunscreen and constant hydration are absolute musts, as well as something to shield your eyes and face from the sun (like a brimmed hat). We like to stay out of the heat in the peak sun afternoon hours, or at least seek a lot of AC attractions. Parks (well, the MK and sometimes others) are open later, and that's good. Even people with little ones can be seen in the parks later at night because the sun is down and the conditions are more manageable.

cmsizzlin
05-06-2009, 02:11 PM
We were there in Aug of 07 at that time and it was extremely hot/humid. So we planned our 2008 trip for Oct 08 and it was extremely hot/humid and we are now going back in Aug 09
because it seems to be always hot/humid when we are able to go.

My advice:
Sunscreen, plenty of water and light colored loose fitting clothes and hats to keep the beating sun off your head. Take advantage of the splash pads, fountains where you can cool down as well as the water rides. Plan the hottest part of the day for indoor AC places or your dining plans lunch/dinner.

BluewaterBrad
05-06-2009, 03:31 PM
Wear light, loose clothing. It will be hot!!:mickey:

gaffz70
05-06-2009, 07:45 PM
We(dh, 2 boys 8 and 5) have been going the week of Aug 17th...my dh is a teacher and cannot take off during the school year. I was very nervous about the heat esp b/c my dh HATES the heat...however we had a great time...1. it was hot in PA when we left and it was hot in Disney - not like we were going from mild to hot...2. we took advantage of am EMH's and returned to the hotel pool after lunch...3. we brought those misting fans and the kids loved them and kept them distracted...4, crowds not so bad..5 kids wore shorts,tank tops and crocs, dh swears by under armour shorts and shirts...5. you're in and out of the heat between transportation,rides,snacks etc. 6. used strollers -this will be the 1st yr that the 8yr old will be walking
There tends to be showers in the afternoon so don't forget ponchos!
Don't worry about the heat, you'll be at Disney and you'll have a great time!!

ytzking
05-06-2009, 08:26 PM
We were there last August and on the 7 days that it was not hot and humid we were saddled with "Relentless Faye".
Be ready for anything and be resolved to have fun no matter what. It was difficult but it worked for us!!:thumbsup:

Strmchsr
05-06-2009, 10:32 PM
Check the weather in Info Central for exact weather conditions on your dates for the last 5 years. That will let you know exactly "how hot." However, if you're not used to summers in the deep south, nothing can convey just how hot this hot is. And, Orlando (as well as the rest of central FL) seems to be in a drought this year. Dry in the spring means MUCH hotter in the summer.

yjgirl32
05-07-2009, 09:15 AM
I will be going down a week later so this was a great question. Thanks for all the info.

spoiledraf
05-07-2009, 11:48 PM
It sometimes gets quite windy in late August, but then it is Hurricane Season!

When we planned our trip, hurricane season was a no-no. We are going with my son and daughter and their families and the last two trips my son made south, he ended up in hurricanes. :(