PDA

View Full Version : Where do you put the Mousekeeping Tip?

Birdie757
05-05-2009, 02:19 PM
The past two times we have gone and left money on the table Mousekeeping has not taken it. Both these times though our room was not cleaned and we had to call the front desk close to the end of their day. I am not sure if that was the reason it wasn't picked up or if they just weren't aware it was for them. Is putting in a marked envelope a better idea? A different location perhaps? We are arriving on Friday so I want to be prepared this time.

tys_mommy
05-05-2009, 02:21 PM
I leave it in an envelope marked mouse keeping and either put it on the table, entertainment center or bed.

kakn7294
05-05-2009, 02:26 PM
A marked envelope is definately a better idea. We've left money that has not been taken - I think that sometimes they aren't sure if it's meant for them so they don't take it. In a marked envelope, there's no question who it's meant for.

Tygger7
05-05-2009, 02:28 PM
I always put it in an envelope marked "Mousekeeping" and place it on the table. For our last trip, I got cash and made up envelopes for each night of our stay. Then all I had to do was pull out an envelope and leave it each day before we headed to the parks. And, that way I didn't forget, or have to scramble looking for ones. :D

(Tip: If you have kids, have them decorate the envelopes in advance. Gives them something to do and puts them in the Disney spirit.)

On a side note, I also made up little cards (bus. card sized) to hand out to CM's that did something to make our trip extra special. I just printed off 20-30 cards with "Thank you for making our vacation extra magical!" on them. All the CM's we gave them to were thrilled and really appreciated the recognition.

DizneyRox
05-05-2009, 02:49 PM
Since Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position, you may have just found one/two that didn't take the money they weren't supposed to.

Although, if they didn't clean the room, it's unlikely they would have seen it. If I ever did tip mousekeeping, after coming back to a dirty room, I would have change my mind quickly.

PixieMagic
05-05-2009, 02:56 PM
We always put ours in decorated envelopes that say "Mousekeeping" then prop them up each morning between the sink and the mirror :mickey:

kakn7294
05-05-2009, 03:01 PM
Since Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position, you may have just found one/two that didn't take the money they weren't supposed to.This has been debated a number of times on here. I e-mailed Disney and asked and the response stated that Mousekeeping is definately a position that is allowed to accept tips.

prttynpnk
05-05-2009, 04:21 PM
We usually 'tent' a piece of paper with 'mousekeepers' on it on top of the tv, since I've noticed they like to have the tv on- I aalways do when I'm cleaning,too. ;)

Emme&TeddysMommy
05-05-2009, 04:30 PM
Just curious what is the suggested tip amount per day?

Briansmom
05-05-2009, 05:02 PM
We put the money ($1 per person in the room each day) in a decorated envelope that says 'Mousekeeping', on the sink. I figure they will be cleaning the sink and will find it. We had a great mousekeeper last year! Lots of washrag animals and decorating.:mickey:
I hope we get a good one next week!

BluewaterBrad
05-05-2009, 05:09 PM
I put in on the table with a thank you slip of paper.:mickey:

TammiMcMan
05-05-2009, 05:20 PM
I also used an addressed envelope and leave it in the bathroom on the vanity. That way, it isn't confused as just being personal money left behind on a nightstand or table.

tinksmom02
05-05-2009, 09:17 PM
I make up Mousekeeping envelopes ahead of time, as well ($1 per person, per day). I usually put them somewhere in the vicinity of the coffee pot.

"DoYouHaveYourParkPass?"
05-06-2009, 12:55 AM
:mickey: We do special decorated cards on the computer - one for each day of our visit, addressed to Mousekeeping, and leave them on the bed. Usually tip $5 per room.

brownie
05-06-2009, 07:28 AM
I've always put it in an envelope and set the envelope on the sink before we leave the room for the day.

If the room didn't appear to be cleaned, it would be my guess that wasn't taken since they didn't come into the room.

Princess'Mom
05-06-2009, 08:52 AM
My DD decorates envelopes with Disney stickers and marks the envelope "For Mousekeeping - Thank You!" in advance. Just as another poster said, it gets us into the spirit of our upcoming trip. We tip $5 a day.

When we are there, my DD always remembers to put out the envelope prior to our leaving for the parks. We usually place it near the sink.

Charlee
05-06-2009, 09:20 AM
We have always put the tip on the table in the room with a little note saying thank you - we put a towel animal next to it so that mousekeeping notices this.

We tip $1 per person in the room per day.

MushuGrl
05-07-2009, 10:38 AM
We leave ours on the pillow, and make a little tent over it with a piece of paper that says "MOUSEKEEPING" (including a very badly drawn Mickey Head by me...)

Disney Doll
05-07-2009, 01:01 PM
I also used an addressed envelope and leave it in the bathroom on the vanity. That way, it isn't confused as just being personal money left behind on a nightstand or table.

That's exactly what we do.

#1donaldfan
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
We normally do $ 1 a day per person, and leave it in plain sight, usually with a note thanking them for doing such a great job....etc....:mickey:

twinboyz
05-07-2009, 02:24 PM
We've always left $1 per person/per day. I make envelopes marked 'thank you mousekeeping' I think we've left it on the table for the most part.

Soul_Power
05-08-2009, 03:06 PM
We put ours on the pillow in a envelope marked "Mouse Keeping." It was gone when we got back, so I know they took it! :mickey:

ToashaF
05-08-2009, 09:20 PM
Great ideas for the envelopes, I always just left them on the pillows!

BMan62
05-08-2009, 10:26 PM
We always place it ($5 bill per day) on the table in the room with the Mousekeeping card (you know - the one with the Mousekeeper's name on it) sitting on top. They always seem to know to take it.

ytzking
05-08-2009, 11:23 PM
"Since Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position, you may have just found one/two that didn't take the money they weren't supposed to."
DISNEYROX

I have traveled many places over many years and this is the first time that I ever heard this. Is there something in the Disney literature that says that you should not tip "Mousekeeping". Any travel book that I have ever read covers suggested tips for maids and housekeeping. Even the DCL suggests tips for the cabin personell. Am I missing something?:confused:

disneyboundagain
05-09-2009, 12:11 AM
We have never used an envelope. We just leave the money on the pillow, that way there is no mistaking that is meant for Mousekeeping. Two years ago, some money was "taken" from our room, but that is a story for a different post.

Marceline
05-09-2009, 01:35 AM
I always use the WDW notepad that is on the nightstand and write FOR MOUSEKEEPING large at the top and then a quick thank you note below that. I leave it either on the nightstand, dresser or on top of the refridge cabinet next to the drinking glasses with a five dollar bill underneath. It's always gone when we return. :)

forever a child
05-09-2009, 10:17 AM
How many people usually clean a room? I am guessing 2?:mickey:

Mendelson
05-09-2009, 01:55 PM
"Since Mousekeeping is a non-tipped position, you may have just found one/two that didn't take the money they weren't supposed to."
DISNEYROX

I have traveled many places over many years and this is the first time that I ever heard this. Is there something in the Disney literature that says that you should not tip "Mousekeeping". Any travel book that I have ever read covers suggested tips for maids and housekeeping. Even the DCL suggests tips for the cabin personell. Am I missing something?:confused:

While I can't say for sure, I think this means that they are paid at least minimum wage, as opposed to waiters, for example, who are allowed to be paid less than minimum wage with the understanding that patrons tip them.

That said, obviously the mousekeepers are not getting rich off of whatever their hourly salary is, so tipping for their good work is a nice gesture.

On the flip side, as I'm sure some will argue, why not then tip the CM who checks you in at the front desk, or the CM who loads you onto Jungle Cruise, or some of the street performers, etc. etc.

Magic Smiles
05-09-2009, 09:15 PM
While I can't say for sure, I think this means that they are paid at least minimum wage, as opposed to waiters, for example, who are allowed to be paid less than minimum wage with the understanding that patrons tip them.

That said, obviously the mousekeepers are not getting rich off of whatever their hourly salary is, so tipping for their good work is a nice gesture.

On the flip side, as I'm sure some will argue, why not then tip the CM who checks you in at the front desk, or the CM who loads you onto Jungle Cruise, or some of the street performers, etc. etc.

Ever wonder how much a day a mousekeeper makes in tips? I got to thinking about this.
Just lets say they clean 20 rooms a day (I would imagine that it is probably more) and each room leaves on the average $4.00 a day. That is $80.00 a day , $400.00 for a 5 day week, tax free on top of their salary. I would say that they are making pretty good money.
Yes we do tip everyday.

We normally leave the Mousekeeping tip on the towel animal in the room.

kemps@wdw
05-10-2009, 12:06 AM
ALWAYS...put the tip $ in a clearly makred envelope so they'll know it's for them. We usually leave ours on the bathroom counter.

Goes4FastPass
05-11-2009, 02:27 PM
I always leave a note with the tip that says "Housekeeping" since there are no mice (I hope) in our room.

Mousemates
05-11-2009, 02:32 PM
Back in the old days (like on our last trip in December/January) before we learned on Intercot that Mosuekeeping isn't a tipped position and that WDW mousekeepers are nicely compensated-- we used to use a marked envelope...but I suppose from now on I will simply be keeping the tip in my wallet.

Goes4FastPass
05-11-2009, 02:37 PM
...before we learned on Intercot that Mosuekeeping isn't a tipped position...
Since I tipped before I read a word about it on Intercot I just kept doing what I do after reading some people's "do tip" and other's "do not tip" opinions.

FenwayGirl
05-13-2009, 01:03 PM
I printed up our "Mousekeeping tip" envelopes this morning. Maybe they will appreciate it and leave us a few towel animals!!

mom2morgan
05-14-2009, 11:10 PM
I didn't think to take envelopes, but the mousekeepers leave little cards (at least they did at POR) so I just put the tip under that - and that was on the shelf by the sink. They obviously knew it was their tip, becuase my daughter had dumped her purse on her bed and we didnt' realize until we got home and they had neatly piled her little collection of bills and coins by her teddy bear ;-)

GottaLvDisney
05-15-2009, 12:23 PM
We left ours in marked envelopes on the table. My kids had a great time decorating the envelopes before our trip.

Tinkerbella16
05-15-2009, 12:29 PM
In every room there is usually a folded Mousekeeping card that stands up with the mousekeepers signature on it, so everyday we put $3 underneath the card so they know its for them. If the card isn't in the room then we'd put it in a marked envelope.

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 06:58 PM
We leave it on or near the sink. Works great. Or we hand it right to the mousekeeper if she is within sight of us.

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 07:00 PM
How many people usually clean a room? I am guessing 2?:mickey:

On this past trip, we had the same mousekeeper everyday.

Hull-onian
05-16-2009, 07:01 PM
I printed up our "Mousekeeping tip" envelopes this morning. Maybe they will appreciate it and leave us a few towel animals!!

We do that too!!!!

SFTrny
05-16-2009, 08:03 PM
We usually stay at FW and we print up special envelopes and bring them with us. Them we leave the envelope in the middle the dining table, usually with nothing else on the table.

SleepinB
05-18-2009, 09:17 PM
Both these times though our room was not cleaned and we had to call the front desk close to the end of their day.

I am guessing you stayed at Port Orleans.

SFD998
05-19-2009, 01:24 PM
We leave it on the table with the table cleared off. It is either under a towel animal if we have one or under the info triangle card about the internet connection. The money is always layed out neatly so it looks like it is there deliberately and not just left laying around. It has never been a problem in that it is always gone when we come back.

nicster
06-08-2009, 04:32 PM
We leave our $3. tip (just two people) on the pillow on the un-made bed. I have NEVER had anyone leave it behind.

crltkcagle
06-08-2009, 09:28 PM
I put it on the table with a nice letter. Not that it made much of a difference on this last trip!

mouseketeer mom
06-09-2009, 06:46 AM
Each morning we leave the envelope propped up in the bathroom with a Thank you written on it. For turndown service, we leave an envelope in the same place before we head out for our evening. Sometimes, we are not consistent with leaving tips for nighttime service. Sometimes we don't make it back to the room on time.