PDA

View Full Version : Mousekeeping and Nighttime accidents with little boys

iheartdisney
05-05-2009, 11:34 AM
We have two boys who have been "fully" potty trained for a while now....by day. But by night? We still have an accident once every so often - especially if their routine is interrupted. This is the first time we'll be traveling since they refused to wear nighttime pull-ups....because, of course, they're big boys now. When we visited friends recently I tried to have them wear pullups to bed that night, just in case, and you wouldn't believe the tantrum that took place (they won). Sooooo...

I'd hate for mousekeeping to have to clean up after us like that. What have others of you done? I wouldn't call them bedwetters because it is so infrequent. It usually happens when they've been sick, allergies bothering them and on medication or if we stay out later than usual. We will definitely be staying out past their bedtime a few nights which is why I'm concerned. Do I make them wear pullups? (I'm mildly uncomfortable with this because it seems so much of their selfesteem is wrapped up in not needing them anymore) Do I bring extra pads and leave it to mousekeeping? Will mousekeeping mind having the pads on the bed underneath the sheets?

Sorry so many questions. But I just realized the new dilemma this morning as I was changing one son's sheets (his allergies are bothering him and he was on benydryl last night.) Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated!

Scott C
05-05-2009, 11:44 AM
Boy, am I glad those days are over(about 10 years ago). If I was in your situation -- the last thing I would try to do is add stress into the situation. I would act in advance of the episode by asking mousekeeping for an extra set of bedding ahead of time. That way you can discreetly take care of the situation. I am confidant that they would honor your request as it would be a fairly common one. Don't worry they will grow out of it.

Thanks
Scott C

Mickey'sGirl
05-05-2009, 11:47 AM
Have you tried putting them on the toilet late at night? This should help them get through if they don't want the pull ups. What about those disposable bed liners like they use in the hospital (think of them as bed pads, like the ones that are used after childbirth)? That will help the bottom sheet, but not the top. I would also cut off liquids after dinner.

Honestly, if I thought my kids were likely to have accidents, I would insist on the pull ups. Good luck however you decide to go. It's hard for the poor guys.

DakandZakMom
05-05-2009, 12:03 PM
I too had to deal with that. I always insisted that they wear the pullups. They do have ones now that are for nightime and actually look like boxer shorts. Maybe just tell them that these are special ones to wear for vacation since they will be soooo tired. I know that when mine had an accident they would be very upset about it. Tell them this way they will wake up happy and ready to see Mickey.:mickey:

#1donaldfan
05-05-2009, 12:39 PM
.... I agree in part, that it may be a self asteem thing to make them wear the pull ups, however another lesson they need to learn is that mother / father know best and they should listen !! I really don't think it'll scar them to make them wear them there...???:thumbsup:

Pally
05-05-2009, 12:47 PM
I also would have insisted on pull-ups. When my mother would visit she would always get after me when I put pullups on my kids at night even though they were day trained, I had two in diapers at the same time. She was not a working Mom when we were babies. I worked full time. Doing sheets every day and the cleanup were not part of my agenda. That being said, they are your kids and you have to do what you have to do.

D'ont forget that the sheets can be washed but the mattresses can't. You could always put one or two of the disposable bedliners, as suggested previously, under the sheet. Maybe, the kids don't have to know that you did this. But, it certainly would be more hygenic and what they don't know can't hurt them.

Good luck, and happy dry days. But, most of all don't let this problem be all consuming and take away from your trip. :mickey:

sleepingbooty
05-05-2009, 12:48 PM
I was just thinking about this very issue today, as my 5 year old woke me up this morning to tell me she had an accident. It happens maybe once or twice a month, but typically only if we forget to make her go potty right before bed. I was planning to bring a pad to go under the sheets to protect the mattress. I think I will also request an extra set of sheets ahead of time just in case. I wouldn't want to have to call housekeeping in the middle of the night.

whitney37354
05-05-2009, 01:18 PM
Our almost-4-year-old will wet the bed if we forget to have her potty just before getting into bed or if she's had too much liquid after dinner. I think we'll do the Goodnights that look like shorts. At this point, DD wouldn't fuss if we put a Pull-up on her, but at five, she probably would. However, I'm the Momma, and she would wear it if I said to!

kakn7294
05-05-2009, 01:29 PM
I made my DD wear the pull-ups. She wouldn't wake up if she wet the bed and sleeps with her older sister. I didn't want them both to suffer sleeping the night in a wet bed. However, if your boys really won't wear them, you can request extra sheets early in the day, take waterproof padding, and leave a note for housekeeping telling them about the padding.

mdhiggin
05-05-2009, 01:44 PM
We had an episode on one of our trips. Our daughter vomited on the bed and floor during the night. I called the front desk, and someone came and changed the sheets. I had cleaned up the vomit off the carpet with damp towels by the time they got there and just gave them all the dirty towels. They came the next day and shampooed the carpet. I apologized for having to bother them in the middle of the night, but they just took it in stride. They said it happened every night. Apparently that's what they were there for, along with their cart full of cleaners and bedding. They called it a protein spill.:D. Bedwetting would no doubt be under this title also. I wouldn't worry about it. If they wet the bed, oh well, no big deal. Disney is prepared.

merlinmagic4
05-05-2009, 02:33 PM
I would try the disposable bed liners that are used in the hospital. You can get them from a medical supply store. We use them for the elderly woman I help care for. They will pack easily, the sheets underneath will be dry and you can just throw them away. :thumbsup:

divinedi
05-05-2009, 03:27 PM
Personally I would insist they wear the pullups, if for no other reason for the convenience. You are going to be tired, so will your children, and if you have to get up during the night to change sheets.........that only means less sleep for everyone, and after a few days of this, you're all going to be very cranky, and you're supposed to be on vacation, having a good time:mickey:.

And, no offense, but the sheets can be cleaned very well, but what about the mattress? They don't clean well, they can only be flipped so many times, and then they have to buy new ones, another expense they pass on to us, not to mention it's not very hygenic:sick:, for your children, or the next person(s) using that room. And yes, I do know that accidents do happen, but if they can be prevented, especially when on vacation when you want to relax and just enjoy:cloud9:, it seems worth it to me:). Just my two cents.

cherbie66
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
I have a similar, but very different problem. If that makes sense. Haha.

My daughter is 4 years old and has been potty trained during the day for a long time, but still had accidents at night. I kept her in pullups at night for a long time, but eventually I just couldn't spend the extra money on pull ups any longer. When I stopped putting pull ups on her at night, she was very upset. I think she was just afraid of wetting the bed. But she was almost in tears telling me that she NEEDS her pull ups. She had a few accidents (maybe once a week) but I didn't give in and now (finally) for the past 2 weeks she has had NO accidents at night at all. She has even gotten up to go potty mid night then went back to sleep! I am so happy and proud. BUT it's a different story when you are not home. I certainly don't want to put her back into pull ups and make her feel as though she needs them again (and get attached?), but I'm also afraid of her wetting the bed. She will be sharing a bed with my 20 year old sister who I'm sure feels the same, lol.

TheRustyScupper
05-05-2009, 08:17 PM
1) If the worst happens, call housekeeping.
2) Tell them you have a "Protein Spill".
3) This is the universal WDW code word for accidents (in rooms or pools).

4) Then
. . . put all the soiled items into one pile
. . . put a sign on it "protein spill" or "soiled"
. . . housekeeping will know what to do

NOTE: I have had to handle protein spills in the wee hours of the night. If the folks were pleasant, I took care of it. If they were not, I would tell them to wait for housekeeping, and just give them replacements.

javamama
05-05-2009, 10:27 PM
Last year we had an accident w/ds there. He was potty trained for 1 1/2 100% of the time, it just happened and on my poor sister at that. So we cleaned it up w/towels, it wasn't a huge deal. The next day we got a new matress, so we were happy!

Magic Smiles
05-06-2009, 06:54 AM
My answer would be simple. Pull Ups or they don't go.

brownie
05-06-2009, 07:26 AM
Going to the bathroom right before bed was an important prevention measure in our house. If you're really worried about, I'd have them wear the pull-ups.

cheeky monkey
05-06-2009, 09:46 AM
How about a water proof pad that goes under the "danger zone" with a sheet on top. That's what we use at home-a crib "rubber sheet" sideways across the bed and then fold an extra flat sheet just to cover it and tuck in the sides. If someone has an accident you can just strip the first two layers and go back to sleep on the dry sheets.

I am sure housekeeping will bring you extra sheets but I would guess you would have to wash the rubber sheet on your own if need be.

sainter
05-06-2009, 12:45 PM
Many years ago we had the same issue -- it wasn't often but didn't want DS to have to sleep in a wet bed, or have to call and wait for housekeeping in the middle of the night. I brought a plastic flat sheet which I put under the top sheet and asked for an extra set of sheets. It was the size of a crib sheet.
The sheets are only changed by housekeeping every 3 days now so it wouldn't be so much an issue, but I left a note on that bed asking that the plastic sheet not be taken off. I put this note out and took it back so that my son would not ever see it -I was the last one out of the room, the first one back in. I really don't think he ever knew.
And would you believe it, he never did have an accident that week!! :thumbsup:

Nini5055
05-06-2009, 01:47 PM
I never had this issue while travelling. But my dd was really easy to pottytrain.

However, if you simply cannot get your boys to wear pull-ups (you could even buy special boy character ones), I would highly recommend getting the disposable pads.

That said....just make them wear the pull-ups at Disney. My mother always tells me when my dd7 gives me a difficult time..."YOU are the Mother!". The minute I put my foot down, dd7 tows the line. :blush:

jensantuit
05-06-2009, 02:00 PM
I agree with the previous posters that said to get the disposable pads like the hospitals use. I have purchased them from Wal Mart and they were fairly inexpensive. They pack flat and if there is an accident then you can just throw them away and not have to change the bedding. Have fun :mickey:

Disnamic Duo
05-07-2009, 04:01 PM
PULL-UPS! They have Disney characters on them. Just work it into the whole theme thing...

princessesmom
05-07-2009, 08:35 PM
My son had an accident one night during our February trip. He sleeps very soundly, so we didn't even know about it until the morning. I stripped the bed and called housekeeping to let them know. They took care of cleaning the mattress and flipping it.

In your case it would be good to be prepared. I would bring some sort of waterproof pad to protect the mattress and request extra sheets. I personally would not insist they wear pull-ups. As you said, it could hurt their self-esteem and maybe even set them back when you get home from your trip. There is a good chance they won't have an accident, anyway. But it could happen, especially being out of their normal routine and being extra tired!

Good Luck.

merlinmagic4
05-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Buy the pads! :D Everyone will be happy! The kids won't need to wear pull-ups, the bed won't get wet, housekeeping won't have to change the sheets, the mattress won't get ruined, and you'll get a bit more sleep (only need to change the pads quickly if necessary!). They work really well. As I said earlier, we use them for an elderly woman I care for and we change the sheets a lot less often :thumbsup:

LoriR
05-10-2009, 10:12 PM
We had a problem at Disney when my child's pullup leaked during the night, which had never happened before. I was very apologetic, and they came and changed the mattress in the morning (and all the sheets, of course). They also placed a rubber sheet on the new mattress, in case it happened again. I would ask for a rubber sheet when you book your room. If they can't promise you one, definitely bring your own!

That being said, my son was very precocious and also hated the pullup at night. So I put him to bed and waited. When he had been asleep for 5 minutes, I put a pullup on him and he was in a deep sleep at that point and never woke up. This worked for months! He trained himself early (less than 2 years old) so he may have been younger than your child, but it would probably work. I'd hate to have to change sheets in the middle of the night again! And although Disney was very nice about the situation, it took them a while to get there during the night and my husband and I had to wait. And you'll also have to tip the person who helps you. All in all, better to avoid the situation!

Mousemates
05-10-2009, 10:38 PM
That said....just make them wear the pull-ups at Disney. My mother always tells me when my dd7 gives me a difficult time..."YOU are the Mother!". The minute I put my foot down, dd7 tows the line. :blush:

I agree...tantrums at any age have always been a "guaranteed loser" in our home. The Mrs. and I put our heads together and resolved to never give in out of fear that our very bright children would consider it a good strategy and use it like "an ace in the hole." Though there were sometimes when we wanted to just give in to end the drama, we hung in there and they finally quit trying.

so anyway if they need to wear pullups, put them in pullups...letting them know that they can earn the right not to wear them if they can pass the test (whatever number of days you set as a goal to go without an incident).

Disney Doll
05-11-2009, 09:59 AM
I guess every parenting style is different, but in my house the kid would wear a pull up if he needed it. End of discussion. Pull ups are the easiest solution.

iheartdisney
05-11-2009, 10:02 PM
Wow! I appreciate everyone's input. I've decided to go with the disposable pads, because as most of you know, even pull-ups can leak (especially with little boys!) And their accidents are VERY infrequent. I just didn't want to ruin a mattress in someone else's home in case something DID happen. As for insisting on the pull ups, I checked out the cost for the boxer type - outrageous! I really don't want to go back to that expense again and getting them in the habit again for our trip might do just that...get them in the habit.

But thanks to everyone who responded! I appreciate the pointers!

BrerGnat
05-12-2009, 08:06 PM
I'd also make them wear the pull ups. No ifs ands or buts.

Call them "vacation sleep underwear".

We had to do that for our son for his first plane trip. He's been day trained for almost 2 years, but we recently took him on his first plane trip. We made him wear a pull up, because, as you know, you cannot always use the bathroom on a plane when you NEED to, and he doesn't tell us that he has to go until he REALLY has to go (like every other 4 year old). ;) He didn't want to at first, but we just told him he HAD to, for the plane ride, and then he could change into regular underwear as soon as we landed at the airport. He was fine with it.

Your kids are not going to be scarred for life by being made to wear pull ups at night at WDW.

Just explain that when they are a GUEST in a hotel, and they are not sleeping in their OWN bed, they CANNOT have an accident in it, so they have to wear the pullups at night to protect the hotel bed. It's a good lesson in respecting property that does not belong to you.

BrerGnat
05-12-2009, 08:10 PM
As for insisting on the pull ups, I checked out the cost for the boxer type - outrageous! I really don't want to go back to that expense again and getting them in the habit again for our trip might do just that...get them in the habit.

You don't necessarily have to get them back into the habit of wearing the pull ups nightly.

Just buy them for the trip. Until they outgrow the nighttime accidents, no matter how infrequent they may be.

Don't even tell them about them. Just bring them out on the first night in the hotel and announce that they will be wearing them every night to sleep in. Period. If they put up a fight, remind them that you are on vacation, and you will not be negotiating with them on this. They can wear the pull ups or they can sleep on the floor. That's what I'd do...

disneynarula
05-12-2009, 09:13 PM
The disposable pads seem like a good idea. You could even use a towel. I think that is what I will do.

I am glad that you posted this. I am in a similar situtation with my son. He is not a bed wetter but he does have an accident every once in a while! I agree that the pull ups are way too expensive.

Jen C.
05-12-2009, 09:46 PM
My answer would be simple. Pull Ups or they don't go.

My thoughts exactly.

Magic Smiles
05-13-2009, 07:12 AM
I agree that the pull ups are way too expensive.

Compared to what? The hotel having to replace a mattress. Really would you want to sleep on a mattress stained by someone else? Especially when it could be prevented. I for sure wouldn't.

merlinmagic4
05-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Compared to what? The hotel having to replace a mattress. Really would you want to sleep on a mattress stained by someone else? Especially when it could be prevented. I for sure wouldn't.

That's why she said she is going with the disposable pads. They will keep the mattress dry in the event of an unlikely accident.

iheartdisney
05-13-2009, 10:36 AM
That's why she said she is going with the disposable pads. They will keep the mattress dry in the event of an unlikely accident.

Thanks Kelly! That's why I started this thread in the first place. I would be mortified if we were responsible for "staining" anything!

thrillme
05-13-2009, 12:29 PM
I'm personally not a big fan of pull ups. I tried them and hated them. Later they came out with the feel wet liner maybe then they would have been better. But I didn't think my DS did any differently with them than a regular diaper.
Besides...they can leak. My DS loved being in regular underwear. But then I was lucky he never had a problem once the switch was made.

PERSONALLY if you're concerned about the situation. I'd pick up some disposable mattress pads or just bring one regular pad. Request an extra set of sheets when you check in. Make sure they go to the bathroom before they go to bed and you should be fine.

Every child is different but I know my DS would have been really "hurt" if I made him go back to "diapers" when there wasn't a problem. Although there are some little ones that seem to be relieved that they don't have to worry about it.