PDA

View Full Version : MJ Not Interested in 2 Nights Reservation

OogieBoogieMan
05-02-2009, 10:51 PM
Does anyone know why MJ is not interested in two night reservations? We are headed down in a couple of weeks and I thought it made sense to give them a try and see if they could do better than what I was finding. After filling out a long form with my information I noticed a disclaimer after I clicked submit. I went back to check it and it said any request from a new customer for less than three nights will be discarded. It doesn't exactly strike me as way to win new customers. Am I missing something?

DizneyRox
05-03-2009, 09:46 AM
Random guess would be the commission doesn't justify the expense of starting up a new client...

Tink1
05-03-2009, 03:40 PM
In every business, decisions have to be made, and this was my decision based on what I was seeing. We stopped doing reservations for less than 3 nights due to the abuse people were putting the agents through.

Since we are paid comission on the base price of the room there are times that hours worth of work yielded less than $5 in payment from Disney.

I cannot expect any agent to work for that amount of money.

Nanc

deedeebee
05-03-2009, 04:03 PM
Alot of people have used MJ and are ecstatic about the service that was provided and we have also, but we found that we can go straight to the Magic source and get what we need.

BluewaterBrad
05-03-2009, 04:33 PM
In every business, decisions have to be made, and this was my decision based on what I was seeing. We stopped doing reservations for less than 3 nights due to the abuse people were putting the agents through.

Since we are paid comission on the base price of the room there are times that hours worth of work yielded less than $5 in payment from Disney.

I cannot expect any agent to work for that amount of money.

Nanc

Wow!! I have used MJ a lot of times in the past. Great experience all the time!! What kind of abuse?? I guess I am naive, but please share!! I guess <snip> can mess up good things all the time!:mickey:

Tink1
05-03-2009, 04:44 PM
For some things, sharing would not be nice.

98% of the people we deal with are kind and caring and we will bend over backwards to get them just what they need to make their vacations magical.

It is a wonderful thing and a wonderful way to work.

That 98% are the people that drive us to stay up all night, work awful hours, give up weekends to make them happy doing what we do.

Nanc

MNNHFLTX
05-03-2009, 05:32 PM
Thank you for the explanation, Nanci. It's a logical decision, IMO.

BluewaterBrad
05-03-2009, 05:51 PM
You guys all ROCK!! Thanks for all the help in the past. Wendy has always been fantastic!!:mickey:

grumpypima
05-03-2009, 08:41 PM
Alot of people have used MJ and are ecstatic about the service that was provided and we have also, but we found that we can go straight to the Magic source and get what we need.

Roger that :thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
05-03-2009, 09:16 PM
I think it makes more sense to go through MJ for longer vacations, that way they can get you the best deals and keep on top of it to make sure you continue to get the best deal. I can see why they wouldn't want to handle a 1-2 day trips because the checking and cross checking for something like that wouldn't warrant the payment they receive for all that work.

Wendy has handled our last 2 trips to WDW, even though it's something I could have done myself because she keeps checking to make sure nothing better comes up.. She also reminds us to make our ADRs etc. So when we booked our Bermuda cruise, we booked with it her too.

jeffbdw
05-04-2009, 08:29 AM
I am a home based travel agent with another company. We do not have that rule. But, for such a short trip, I might suggest that potential clients book themselve. Most deals that come down the pike dont apply to two night trips, anyway.

TheRustyScupper
05-04-2009, 11:16 AM
{Stepping Onto the Personal Opinion Soapbox}

1) I am not sure this is a good choice - customer wise.
2) What you are saying is
. . . come to me when I can make the Big Bucks from you
. . . go elsewhere if I can only make a few bucks from you
3) Under this principle, there would no more
. . . short taxi rides, especially in the rain
. . . small size shoes
. . . small cars, due to lower profit than pickup trucks & SUV's
. . . etc
4) Companies should take the marginal payouts with the huge payouts.
5) Companies want the average profit to be comfortable.
6) If I selected my business on this principle, my customers would be bye-bye.

{Stepping Off the Soapbox}

Tink1
05-04-2009, 11:26 AM
Scupper, every one is entitled to an opinion. Mine is not the same as yours, but my business may well be very different than yours.

17 years in this business has taught me many things, and it is on that basis this decision was made many years ago.

Nanc

Stickey
05-04-2009, 12:47 PM
Every company need to conduct its own cost-benefit analysis to determine its most efficient operating model. Clearly, 1-2 night reservations are very labor intensive and do not generate sufficient margins for the effort.
Therefore, the focus remains on providing superior service to their client base. Also, do not underestimate the complexities of dealing with Disney and its state-of-the-art computer reservations system.

Based on personal experience, MJ does in fact provide superior service. For example, Wendy has obtained the desired discount/resort room availability by quick action, or through multiple attempts when our request was initially unavailable. She has also worked with us when we have needed to modify our reservation.

Nini5055
05-04-2009, 02:04 PM
I don't use MJ, but I just wanted to insert that they are not the only travel company that prefers not to book 2 day trips.

I like being able to go right to WDW and book what I need. Sure, I do a ton of legwork...but I did that even when I used to book with a TA.

You might feel you are throwing a bone to MJ, but what they do far exceeds what they will be paid for such a small trip.

Belster
05-04-2009, 02:49 PM
MJ is awesome...I will never go through Disney directly again.

Thanks Kathy!!!

sacandjac
05-04-2009, 03:33 PM
We love using MJ and have used them for every one of our trips! Melissa is fabulous and always gives us excellent service! I love when she emails me to let me know there is a new deal and she has already applied to my trip!!

Dsnygirl
05-04-2009, 04:43 PM
:mickey: I have to agree with what everyone else has said about MJ... they're wonderful, and I can't blame them for limiting their workload to longer vacations, as the amount of time they put into their work for all of us is amazing.

One thing sticks in my head that Nanci said to me once... "We actually work harder to earn less money." What she meant was that they know everybody wants to get in on whatever deals Disney puts out there, and thus when a special is released, she and the other agents immediately start working to put their clients into whatever specials match their needs. But changing a reservation to a lower rate also immediately lowers the compensation from Disney... so they work very hard for us to save money, while they actually lose some of what they're earning. Not something I had thought of, myself.

So -- that being said, I can't blame them for wanting to stick with longer reservations... there has to be a break point for most companies in this economy where it just doesn't make sense to do all the work and not get compensated for it.

Good luck with your reservation -- I hope you're able to get it sorted out in a way that works best for you!

LarryBoy
05-04-2009, 04:46 PM
{Stepping Onto the Personal Opinion Soapbox}

1) I am not sure this is a good choice - customer wise.
2) What you are saying is
. . . come to me when I can make the Big Bucks from you
. . . go elsewhere if I can only make a few bucks from you
3) Under this principle, there would no more
. . . short taxi rides, especially in the rain
. . . small size shoes
. . . small cars, due to lower profit than pickup trucks & SUV's
. . . etc
4) Companies should take the marginal payouts with the huge payouts.
5) Companies want the average profit to be comfortable.
6) If I selected my business on this principle, my customers would be bye-bye.

{Stepping Off the Soapbox}

So you would do possibly hours of work, even if you were only going to make $5 profit. I have used MJ several times in the past and love the service and attention that Wendy has given me, but I totally understand this policy. They pride themselves on getting every customer the best deal possible. This requires extra work and time for every customer, and I want them to keep that up.
Thanks MJ and Wendy for getting me the best possible deals.:thumbsup:

DizneyRox
05-04-2009, 05:29 PM
So you would do possibly hours of work, even if you were only going to make $5 profit.
Well, what Rusty is saying, I think is, if you turn someone away now because they aren't profitable, they may find someone who will take the business and risk losing them for good.

I see both sides of the fence on this one, and it probably is a 6 of one, 1/2 dozen of another. You may find out they aren't wort hit, you may find out they have a 4 week trip coming up.

You couldn't pay me enough to get back into a customer service type role, people are real... well... poeple...

With something like a Disney planning service, you probably have the ability to be a little more "demanding" on who you service. Everyone goes to Disney at least once these days, turning a few away probably isn't going to be much of an impact.

MNNHFLTX
05-04-2009, 06:20 PM
I think this thread has run its course since the OP had their question answered (and by Nanci herself). Magical Journeys has been a good and loyal sponsor for INTERCOT for a long time and as such, their business policies are not up for debate here on the boards. Indeed, they deserve a big thank-you from all of us here for helping to keep the site going. :thanks: