PDA

View Full Version : First trip to Disneyland!!

dream6
05-02-2009, 07:20 PM
I'm looking into finally taking my first trip out to Disneyland possibly sometime this fall. I'm so excited! The thing is, I've been to Disney World loads of times so I know a lot of the "must do's" and the secrets that the "regulars" know. But I'm completely in the dark when it comes to Disneyland! So my question is, what are the things that I must do and see? What restaurants should be on my list to try - CS and TS?? I just would hate to miss something. What makes Disneyland Disneyland?

Tigger&Stitch
05-02-2009, 07:26 PM
Me too! This year will be my first trip to DL. Thanks for posting this - can't wait to see the replies!

NotaGeek
05-02-2009, 07:48 PM
Hey there, there are quite a few threads like this in Vacation Planning ... if you search back you can find quite a few. Here's one good post that has lots of INFO (http://intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=147635)...

My favorite hint is to NOT compare WDW to DLR. It's apples and oranges. Just enjoy Disneyland for what it is ... it's smaller and really great ... the magic and Walt's influence is everywhere.

Be sure and check out those things that aren't in WDW ... and ride EVERYTHING, even the rides at both parks are different.

Good restaurants for TS, Hook's Point, Blue Bayou inside DLR, and Goofy's Kitchen for a great character breakfast.

TS breakfast at Carnation Cafe on Main Street or in Steakhouse 55 at Disneyland hotel are amazing ... there' sTONS to see and eat.

The best cheap TS breakfast is Tomorrowland Terrace! :mickey:

Magic Smiles
05-02-2009, 08:23 PM
I was just looking up prices of the food items available at the DL restaurants. Is it just me or is it much more expensive then WDW? We normally eat pretty cheap while in WDW, but even breakfast looks like it is going to cost a lot. Guess we will be eating breakfast in our room. I will miss my morning Mickey waffles with whipped cream and fresh strawberries :(
Good thing we will have a car.

dmosher
05-02-2009, 08:57 PM
Taking DW here for the first time as well, but it has been a while since i have been, so I would appreciate any tips as well.
:pipes:
D

NotaGeek
05-02-2009, 09:53 PM
I was just looking up prices of the food items available at the DL restaurants. Is it just me or is it much more expensive then WDW? We normally eat pretty cheap while in WDW, but even breakfast looks like it is going to cost a lot. Guess we will be eating breakfast in our room. I will miss my morning Mickey waffles with whipped cream and fresh strawberries :(
Good thing we will have a car.
You can find breakfast for less than $10 a person, I don't think DLR is any more expensive than WDW, I have done both and any TS is about $10-15 with tax and tip no matter where you go.

Magic Smiles
05-02-2009, 10:20 PM
You can find breakfast for less than $10 a person, I don't think DLR is any more expensive than WDW, I have done both and any TS is about $10-15 with tax and tip no matter where you go.

I guess maybe that is the difference. We don't usually do TS but CS when in WDW. Actually many of our meals were probably eaten at the food court in the POFQ while in WDW. We love it. We have done some TS meals over the years, but were never impressed and found that they just take too much time out of our day. Eating is not a high priority for us, can you tell?

tinkwest
05-05-2009, 11:27 AM
From experience, I suggest you that make your food decisions before starting your vacation. Sure, hunger may hit without warning or a certain churro or Mickey ice cream may be calling your name. But for the main meals an advance plan saves a lot of time wasted while your group decides where to eat. If nothing at the Resort strikes your fancy, there are quite a few nice restaurants to choose from within the surrounding area, including Anaheim GardenWalk, which is only about a mile away.

Take the time to just walk and look at your surroundings. It's not just about running from ride to ride. I like taking the grand circle tour of Disneyland on the Railroad. Gives you a glimpse of many sections of the park.

dream6
05-07-2009, 11:01 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far!! And I checked that link out NotAGeek and it was helpful :mickey:

FRANKTASMIC
05-15-2009, 06:19 PM
You don't have to miss out on the Mickey mouse waffles, The River Belle Terrace in Adventure land, sells Mickey Mouse Pancakes that the kids will love. Usually about $7 if I recall correctly. You can sit and enjoy them while looking over the Rivers of America. Yummy :thumbsup: Most of the other breakfast items are pretty low also....:mickey:

Aisling
05-18-2009, 07:04 AM
For on the go breakfasts, check out White Water snacks in GCH and Ralph Brennan's Jass Kitchen Express. Beignets are to die for. Of course, you might want some protein to go with all the sugar so you don't have a slump in the middle of the morning, but definitely check them out at some point during your trip.

Like tinkwest said, don't just think of running from one ride to the next - walk around behind things, around rides, etc. There are some very fun and beautiful things to see when you get off the beaten track. My memories of Disneyland as a kid were of racing from one line to the next. I don't remember the rides themselves, just the panic that we 'had to do everything!' in one day. It wasn't fun or enjoyable and if memory serves, it was just too stressful. Slow down, enjoy yourself and have a great time.

*Mulan*
05-27-2009, 02:12 PM
Thanks Aisling for the great advice:
"My memories of Disneyland as a kid were of racing from one line to the next. I don't remember the rides themselves, just the panic that we 'had to do everything!' in one day... Slow down, enjoy yourself and have a great time."

DD and I will arrive there one week from today. I needed that reminder to enjoy the whole experience. It'll be her 1st DL trip and I don't want her to look back with the same memories of panic.

Which would be a better entrance for her 1st time at DL-- main gate or the entrance thru GCH? (We're staying at DLH, checking in 4pm and going to the park.)

NotaGeek
05-27-2009, 03:01 PM
Thanks Aisling for the great advice:
"My memories of Disneyland as a kid were of racing from one line to the next. I don't remember the rides themselves, just the panic that we 'had to do everything!' in one day... Slow down, enjoy yourself and have a great time."

DD and I will arrive there one week from today. I needed that reminder to enjoy the whole experience. It'll be her 1st DL trip and I don't want her to look back with the same memories of panic.

Which would be a better entrance for her 1st time at DL-- main gate or the entrance thru GCH? (We're staying at DLH, checking in 4pm and going to the park.)
Well, there's absolutely NO fanfare at the GCH entrance into DCA. Walk her to the front entrance of Disneyland (there's still a short cut though GCH) ... the Flower Mickey, The Train and let her pick the right or left side of the tunnel into the Happiest Place on Earth ...

From there you can visit Town Hall and get her a My 1st Visit Button ... let her feel all that magic from her 1st visit. I still remember my 1st visit very vividly because it was such a big deal!

Aisling
05-27-2009, 11:42 PM
I'll be there one week from today too! Maybe we'll see each other in line...

DEFINITELY take her to the front gate. It sends a shiver up my spine every time go through the turnstiles and see the flower Mickey. Every single time.

Have fun!

*Mulan*
05-28-2009, 08:49 AM
Main entrance it is! How late does City Hall stay open? (Tried searching for their hourse, but no luck.) We'll definitely get DD a 1st trip button.

NotaGeek
05-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Main entrance it is! How late does City Hall stay open? (Tried searching for their hourse, but no luck.) We'll definitely get DD a 1st trip button.
City Hall is open for as long as there are guests in the park.

Magic Smiles
05-28-2009, 09:50 PM
As this is my birthday trip, but we can't go for my actual birthday, would it be wrong for me to get a birthday button?

I am definitely going to get a 1st trip to Disneyland button!

NotaGeek
05-29-2009, 02:23 AM
As this is my birthday trip, but we can't go for my actual birthday, would it be wrong for me to get a birthday button?

I am definitely going to get a 1st trip to Disneyland button!
There is nothing wrong with getting your birthday button if you feel it's ok ... it's just a button, but people will be saying happy birthday to you the whole time. If you feel weird about that, I do believe there is a generic Celebrate button that would also work, since it's a birthday celebration, but no your actual day of birth.

LittleSpirit02
05-29-2009, 04:28 PM
A must for me is breakfast at the River Belle Terrace. It's so relaxing and quaint and just creates a perfect start to the day. It's a counter service place so no reservation needed. The menu includes things like pancakes, bacon, sausage, eggs, orange juice and so on. It was also supposedly one of Walt's favorite spots. We like to sit out on the patio and eat.

Try and get to some of the attractions that are unique to Disneyland such as the Indiana Jones ride and Mr. Toad's Wild Ride as well as fantastic versions of Pirates and Small World.

I think you'll love Disneyland. I know I pictured it as so small and crowded before I went my first time but I soon learned otherwise. Now when people ask if I like Disney World or Disneyland better... I honestly can't decide! Disneyland has a bit of extra magic - maybe Walt left a special presence there.