PDA

View Full Version : cat 11 or 12?

Kennywife
05-02-2009, 06:55 PM
So, I'm thinking of booking a cruise for this fall for me and hubby before the F&W festival and am looking for a three day one. I think we want to do either cat 12 or 11 since they are the cheapest and I don't care to spend all that $$$ for three days. :hide:

Anyhoo, my problem with cat 12 is it's on deck 2. When we were on the Wonder last time, the lower we got, the more nauseated I got. :sick::ack: About in the middle of the ship, I was fine. Cat. 11 looks to be up higher.

Also, we may be sailing in late Sept or in Oct. We've never traveled to WDW during hurricane season. Should we be worried?

Anna

dmosher
05-02-2009, 07:14 PM
Yes the higher up you are the less motion you seem to feel. I have sailed with Disney in Sept and have only had 1 hurricane issue. It's usually not a problem and they do reroute you if there is an issue.
:pipes:
D

hauntedmansiongirl
05-24-2009, 02:55 AM
When we went on the Disney Wonder for a 4 night cruise in Sept 2005 we had to sail around Hurricane Jeanne. It wasn't a big deal. The Captain will sail the boat around until he finds nice, sunny weather. At night he'll travel nearer to the storm if he has to in order to reach ports. It's okay then- you get rocked to sleep.

We had to change our Castaway Cay day from the first day to the last day, which really didn't make any difference to us.

We have been on 2 cruises and I always spend the first 2 days nauseated. I finally learned to take long acting gravol (dimenhydrinate) a few hours before we get on the ship until we leave, which has made life much easier. I have always stayed in the cheapest Cat 12 inside stateroom and been fine at night. I have a harder time on the upper decks. Think of the boat as a big "V"- when it starts rocking side to side, the lower decks are actually moving much less than the upper decks. We always request a lower deck for this reason. Another tip that DCL gave me is to always get an inside stateroom because looking out the porthole will almost always make you feel nauseous.

So, in answer to your question, I would book a Cat. 12 stateroom and use the extra money for shore excursions, Palo or spa ressies. Chances are you'll be upgraded to a Cat. 11 or 10 anyway. :mickey:

TammiMcMan
05-24-2009, 12:23 PM
We've done 2 cruises and were lucky enough not to encounter any rough waters. Unfortunately though, there's no guarantee. Friends of ours had pictures they took during rough seas. One in particular was of the Goofy pool, which was very weird. Because of the rocking and rolling of the ship, the pool actually looked like it was half empty. And I mean that literally, the left hand side of the pool looked empty, while the right hand side had water sloshing over the edge. This doesn't happen very often, but I did want to point out that they can't always sail around storms.

If you'd feel more comfortable with the cat 11, I would go ahead and book it. Especially since you have already experienced some sea sickness with the lower decks.