PDA

View Full Version : A Loss in the Ice Family

wizardmickey
05-02-2009, 12:28 AM
Seems there's been a lot of this lately...
I got a call from my Uncle in California that my Grand-dad, who was often a lot like Father to us boys growing up, was working in his garden today and collapsed. They called EMS but could not revive him.
Our family is in shock because other than the normal stuff that an 80+ year old suffers from, he wasn't in poor health. Making this harder for all of us is reliving losing my Mother in 2005 on May 3rd... and now on May 1st we lose my Grand-dad.
Christy always asks me during those "deep & thoughtful moments" about my favorite childhood memories - other than Disney trips, it always came up how Grand-dad would pick up my brother and I after school or on weekends and take us to the beach in his old white VW bug (we called it "Herbie") and we'd swim and run and play until nearly sunset, then he'd stop at the local A&W Drive-Inn on the way home to treat us to Root Beer Floats.
I was trying to make plans to squeeze out a trip that way sometime soon, simply because you just never know how much time you have in this world, and now it's too late.
We're scrambling to figure out how to get out there for services, but finacially it just looks kind of bleak.

Blue Genie
05-02-2009, 12:42 AM
Sorry to hear about this Ice Dude.

BigRedDad
05-02-2009, 06:38 AM
I can feel for you. My father passed away on December 31st. Diagnosed with lung cancer on December 16th. The doctor had no clue.

The only thing really getting me through the shock is that he told me he had no regrets. There are many things I would have still enjoyed doing with him. I am so grateful that we went WDW last year for a week with him. He was able to enjoy a final grand adventure with each of his granddaughters.

JPL
05-02-2009, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hear about your loss. :(

:pixie:

trackbarroness
05-02-2009, 05:37 PM
So sorry to hear about your loss ice dude
hugs

cheshirecollector
05-02-2009, 07:24 PM
:grouphug: and prayers for you and your family.

mrsgaribaldi
05-03-2009, 12:54 AM
I'm so sorry for your loss.

Mrs Bus Driver
05-03-2009, 11:34 AM
We never know how long we have so hug your kids and count each day as a blessing. It sounds like your grandfather had a good life and left a lot of fond memories.

Marla
05-03-2009, 11:43 PM
Ice and Lady Ice I am so very sorry.:tink:

varcity
05-04-2009, 12:00 PM
Wing dude, Sorry about the loss. I can't fathom losing a roll model like that. But he obviously has touched the lives of many so his spirit will live on.

mickeytinkerbellprincess
05-04-2009, 10:40 PM
I'm so sorry about this Ice. :( You and Lady Ice and the rest of your family are in my thoughts. :pixie: :hug:

TinkRocks
05-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Sorry to hear about your Granddad, Ice...

Glad you have some great memories with him - it's a good feeling when you can think about and share those stories.

Thoughts and prayers, as always, with you and family...

Patricia
05-05-2009, 08:53 AM
So sorry Ice. :( (((HUGS)))

I'm so happy you have some wonderful memories to cherish. Maybe it's time for Ice to have another root beer float.. :beer:

Chescat
05-05-2009, 04:38 PM
Our thoughts are with you, Lady Ice & your family!

I found the hardest thing with a sudden death is just getting over the shock. That happened with my dad. Your grand-dad will always been in your hearts and memories and watching over you wherever you may be.

wizardmickey
05-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Thanks much everyone... It's been a weird time.
He was a "giant" figure in my life growing up, and even though we've been separated my distance there was always the phone and long letters filled with photo's at the Holidays.
So, here's what's up...
Over the next few weeks I have a few gigs to fulfill, then I'll be taking a week away from things so I can fly out to California to be with the family as we have a "Celebration of Life" Service (much along the lines of and inspired by what my Mom had laid out for herself just before she passed Mother's Day 4 years ago.) It'll be fun and I'll see family I haven't seen in a few years, not to mention people in that area I went to school with and such that haven't seen me in ... oh, 27 years?
As soon as I get back (like the very next day) we have a gig at the hospital for the patients, so tired or not I have to be there (they're getting excited already - imagine being institutionalized for who knows how long and only getting to see live entertainers maybe twice a year?)
So I'm shinin' up my travellin' shoes and getting ready to head back West.
THANK ALL OF YOU ONCE AGAIN!!!