PDA

View Full Version : Last minute, DS's 1st trip to WDW! Day 1

Figment78
05-01-2009, 02:47 PM
Let me start by saying that I’ve never actually written a trip report. I have had good intentions in the past, but never actually sat down and put pen to paper…. I’m also not the best at creative writing – but I hope you find my vacation memories enjoyable all the same.

Day 1 – March 24 – Travel day

Cast:
Me, 30 – Disney fanatic
DH, 31 – Disney fan
DS, 1 – Disney fan-in-training

“Will he sleep ok in the pack n play? Will he freak out on the plane? Will we get to the hotel in time for dinner? OMG are we nuts to be taking a 1 year old to Disney?! Should we have gotten a suite or 1-bedroom villa instead? Will we get to sit together on the plane? Please let our groceries be at the hotel when we get there….” These were the thoughts running through our minds as we packed up the car to go to the airport for our Disney adventure.

Our trip was a bit last minute due to the perfect storm of circumstances regarding day care arrangements, sudden work projects and a strong need to just get a way for a while and bond as a family. Where better to spend a week doing that than in my favorite place in the whole world!?! WDW!

We booked and planned our trip in 10 days. In a way, I’m very glad that we didn’t have more time to plan because those worries above would have been multiplied and debated endlessly. As it was, we had very little time to debate - only plan and research – what is allowed through airport security, do they have microwaves at the hotel, etc etc. So we were committed to the trip, packed and were in Florida before we could really have second thoughts.

We left for the airport around 11, just after DS woke from his morning nap. Since we purchased a seat for him, we were able to check 6 pieces of luggage and his stroller AND we were taking the carseat for the plane. I over-pack for every trip, but never have I had so much luggage! Fortunately, Southwest doesn’t charge fees, and they still have curbside check-in at Pittsburgh International Airport. DH took care of checking us in and I took the baby inside. We had lunch with no major problems, and headed to our gate, letting the little guy out of the stroller to stretch his legs and expend some energy before he was stuck in his carseat for the trip. As we started to line up to board, a moment of panic! DH and I had everything coordinated and planned out down to who would carry which bags, stroller, carseat, child, etc, and then I found out I needed a tag for the gate-checked stroller! I ran to another counter to get that, and was separated from DH. For those of you who fly Southwest know that feeling when you are not sure if you will get to sit with your companions. Multiply that by 10 and you know how I was feeling wondering if I would be separated from my DH and son. I made it back mid-way through the B-group, but still was able to sit with my family. Let me pause and commend the flight attendants – they truly are friendly and helpful people. They offered a ton of assistance to us and to another mom who was traveling alone with a little one. I was pleasantly surprised.

As it turns out, my son is a true champ when it comes to flying. He didn’t cry at all, despite my fears of air pressure hurting his ears and my bag of distractions equaling the magnitude of a large Toys R Us! He actually fell asleep for his nap just as we started the descent and slept through the landing, complete deplaning of everyone else (we waited til the last), and exiting the plane! At home I have to tiptoe around during his naps…. Unbelievable!

We found our limo service driver who was a huge help with our luggage, and made it to Wilderness Lodge with no trouble. Ah…. home! At check in, we found out that we have been upgraded to Club Level! What? There is no bathtub? :( Sadly, we had to turn it down. Bathtime is an essential part of my son’s bedtime routine. In all of my trips, we have never gotten an upgrade. Hopefully our decline will plan in our favor for a future trip. :)

Next it was time to rush around and get everything essential unpacked before dinner. We specifically planned to stay at the hotel and give our son the chance to get comfy in his surroundings before bed. Never in my life have I been so glad I am an organized (some say to a fault) person. I was able to unpack 4 suitcases, bags of groceries, carryon’s, set up the pack ‘n play, and get ready for the next day before dinner. We ran down to Roaring Forks for dinner, then back up to the room to relax a bit before bedtime. To our relieved and exhausted bodies, DS went to sleep with no problem. As we sat on the balcony before turning in, we just gave thanks to be in the happiest place in the world with our DS. Glad that we took the chance in traveling with him and looking forward to our first morning – Epcot.

DizNee143
05-01-2009, 04:24 PM
sounds like all the worrying and questioning was for nothing..seems your son is a great flyer and a good sport through it all..so glad it went so smoothly for you...sounds like a great day for you guys..
cant wait to hear about the rest of your trip!! :mickey:

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
05-01-2009, 06:20 PM
…. I’m also not the best at creative writing –

I think your writing is fantastic:thumbsup:. Will look forward to the whole trip!

BluewaterBrad
05-01-2009, 06:40 PM
Have a good time in EPCOT!:mickey:

mouseketeer mom
05-02-2009, 07:51 AM
I love your writing style and love how all is flowing well for you. Bummer about the upgrade! That would've been fun to experience.

faline
05-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Your son is clearly already a travel pro!

Sorry you needed to turn down that upgrade - club level is really nice (except for the balconies which get far too hot and you have to stand up to see anything)!

vizsla
05-03-2009, 05:56 AM
Thanks for the report.

PrettyMinnie
05-03-2009, 06:19 PM
Can't wait to read more of your report!! :minnie:

lspst888
05-04-2009, 09:43 AM
Thanks for the report -- I'm really interested because I'll be staying at WL for the frist time in September for my honeymoon. I hope we get the Club level upgrade!! And we're from the Pittsburgh area too.

Sounds like a great trip so far :thumbsup:

Figment78
05-04-2009, 02:31 PM
lspst888 - We stayed at the WL on our honeymoon in Oct 02. It is a really great honeymoon resort - enjoy! Be sure to spend some time cuddling up in one of the reading nooks on the upper floors around the main lobby. Feel free to PM me if you have any specific honeymoon or WL questions!

pdrlkr
05-08-2009, 10:55 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: