PDA

View Full Version : Disney after weight-loss surgery...

JenSheriff
05-01-2009, 12:14 PM
I was wondering- from anyone who has had Lap-Band or Gastric Bypass surgery - how they have survived Disney with all the wonderful meals and treats there are ?!?!?!? I had Lap-Band last summer, and have lost 85 pounds so far! I am only able to eat about 1/2 to 1 cup of food at a time, and was curious if anyone has any tips for me!
May will be the first time I've been to Disney since surgery- and am hoping that it won't be a downer, (not being able to enjoy all the goodies). I've been to WDW several times in the past few years, with the ddp, and I know there is ALOT of great food there.

Any tips?

Buddy08
05-01-2009, 01:05 PM
If you are traveling with others can you just share their meals with them? You could take turns actually paying for the meals that way you can sample some of the goodies without going over your 1 cup and/or spending alot on a meal that you won't eat all of. You could also see if your surgeon will give you a note stating that you had bariatric surgery and maybe you could also order off the childrens menu. You will certainly have to treat yourself to some of the great food:thumbsup:

rubato
05-01-2009, 01:18 PM
Whatever you do, don't get the dining plan. That would be incredibly wasteful! I like the idea of ordering off of the children's menu. Or, just order an appetizer instead of entree. Good luck. :)

Jenbabe411
05-01-2009, 01:27 PM
I went to Disney World a little under 2 years after my gastric bypass. Going to Disney World you just have live the way you live in day to day life, in small portions. Like the above poster said, if you can share that would be ideal. For our trip in May, my mom has since had her gastric bypass so we will be sharing mostly all of our meals. Grabbing a little bit off of the people your with's plates would be good too. Each person should not miss 2 or 3 bites from their plate.

Hopefully since your surgery you have been paying attention to your body and how it reacts to certain foods and beverages. You don't want eating something your body does not agree with put you sick and out for hours :ill: (im sure you know how not fun that is). For example, dairy makes me sick if I eat enough. So even though I love love love me a mickey shaped ice cream bar, if I got one it would be eating both ears and throw the rest away. No food is worth getting sick in the happiest place on earth!

All in all you just gotta remember you CAN enjoy everything, just in smaller portions!:thumbsup:

Have a great time! :mickey:

Tinkerfreak
05-01-2009, 03:03 PM
I thought I had read someplace that if you have had this surgery that you could get a special price on buffet meals? I thought I read it in another thread on here a few weeks ago. I think if it were me I would call Disney and ask them. I would not do the dining plan but maybe you could enjoy a few more meals without wasting food and money.