PDA

View Full Version : Not your typical souvenier...

JenSheriff
05-01-2009, 11:36 AM
I was reading the posts about the "pick a pearl" souvenier from Japan... and I would love to get one! We are leaving for WDW in just 15 days :cloud9: and I was wondering what are some more of your favorite "unique" souveniers from all over WDW. I'm looking for something more special than the typical mouse-ears or tshirts. For examble: the family crest from UK, or the handmade dolls from Germany. HELP!?!?!?!?

AmandaChan
05-01-2009, 12:22 PM
DH always takes home snacks from Japan for souvenirs. I haven't done that pick a pearl either, I wonder how much it is?

leaving in less than two weeks!

disneymom15
05-01-2009, 12:27 PM
My daughter has been doing them since our first trip. The cost is somewhere around $15.
On our next trip i think we'll be bringing home a Bonsai Tree.

sassafras
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
A couple of times, I have purchased these little plastic type statues at the Japanese store that are kind of like bobbleheads. They have solar strips and their heads seem to move continuously under lights. I had one of a little guy sitting on my station at work, and it used to fascinate all of our customers. Got one of Dumbo too at DDD which kids liked.

gauvin4
05-01-2009, 12:34 PM
I did this on my last trip. I believe disneymom is right about the cost being $15.00 to pick the pearl. If you decide to have it set into ring, have a pendant made or have a pair of earrings made, that is an additional cost.

Ropachs
05-01-2009, 01:25 PM
All the countries in Epcot have wonderful unique things. We generally pick things from Germany, since, well, we're German. We also enjoy the shopping in Mexico, Norway and Canada.
Animal Kingdom seems to have lots of things without your typical Mickey on them as well.

mouseketeer mom
05-01-2009, 03:58 PM
My son gets a musical instrument each time we go. He's gotten them from Mexico, the Poly, that little Africa place, AK..I get earrings each time we go. Coffee cups too, but thats a more common sovenier.

poohspal
05-01-2009, 04:12 PM
Mickey and Minnie salt and pepper shakers.

hlkeck
05-01-2009, 05:18 PM
I bought a Mickey Ears cookie cutter! I LOVE IT!

deedeebee
05-01-2009, 06:25 PM
A couple of ears (he he) ago we bought Helly Hansen toboggan hats at the Norway store , the kids loved them and they are the warmest of any toboggan we have ever had.

dream6
05-01-2009, 10:02 PM
I wore my "pick a pearl" necklace today!! :mickey: Like a few others have said, I like finding things in the shops at World Showcase. They have very unique items. One of my favorites is the cooking store (I can't think of the name...) in France. Even though I'm not much of a cook, it makes me want to be!

Suz36
05-02-2009, 12:26 AM
One of my favorite souveniers are my Disney music CDs, either from the park attractions or shows. I pop one of those in my player, close my eyes, and I'm instantly transported to my happy place!

tinksmom02
05-02-2009, 10:37 PM
I want one of those hand-carved family statues from the African Outpost in World Showcase, and my daughter wants a hand-carved giraffe. Or alligator.

We got bamboo placemats from the Japan store on our trip in Sept. 2007. They look really nice in our kitchen, and they were only about $4 a piece.

My daughter and I have done the pearl thing, I think it's awesome. Hers was $40 all together (pearl, silver pendant setting, and necklace), mine was cheaper because I had it set into a charm setting, later removed the charm clasp and added my own necklace.

In Mexico I've purchased a painted terra cotta (I think) sun for our bathroom, and last year I bought a painted skull, too...not because it goes with the decor of my home but because I thought it was cool. DH bought a poncho.

DD likes to get instruments from various countries/places, too.

dmosher
05-02-2009, 10:46 PM
We picked up one of the wooden wind chimes in Animal Kingdom. Whenever the wind blows we hear them and remember our times in Disney.
:pipes
D

DANAM
05-03-2009, 11:05 AM
We picked up one of the wooden wind chimes in Animal Kingdom. Whenever the wind blows we hear them and remember our times in Disney.
:pipes
D

Me too!!! They make a wonderful reminder of our trip.

beksy
05-03-2009, 04:25 PM
The pick a pearl is on my must-buy list (I need some kind of Disney shopping 12-step program--I have a to-buy list from our last trip!). Mom has always wanted a pearl ring but hasn't bought one yet. Since we're going right after Christmas, this is going to be her Christmas present! I'm going to let her pick a pearl and then have it set into a ring. Ok, who am I kidding? I'm sure I'll end up doing it too!

pink
05-04-2009, 08:14 PM
DH always takes home snacks from Japan for souvenirs. I haven't done that pick a pearl either, I wonder how much it is?

I did the pick a pearl in September and I remember it being more expensive than $40. The pearl itself was about $15, then they charge you to set the pearl in a setting which was about $50 and one of the cheaper one's. I forgot the total cost but it wasn't cheap. We didn't even buy a chain because they were exspensive. It is a beautiful necklace though and I wear it all the time. :mickey:

dteed
05-04-2009, 10:12 PM
Last trip my DW bought me a new wedding band. Little mickey heads all over it and i love it.

where_else
05-05-2009, 06:51 AM
Last trip my DW bought me a new wedding band. Little mickey heads all over it and i love it.

Where did you purchase the wedding band? I would love to have one of those :cloud9:!

hokies4life
05-05-2009, 07:37 AM

Yea, this past April I think mine ended up totaling about $50. That was the ~$15 for the pearl ticket and then ~$30ish for the pendant setting I chose (I went with a more decorative flower setting than just a straight up pearl pendant). I didn't buy a chain but I think they were another ~$20.

:chipdale:

sweetsavannah
05-05-2009, 09:41 AM
You know, my daughter wanted one of those pearls and I just couldn't bring myself to get one because I remember they had them on QVC (and still might) where you would get the clam/oyster thing and a tool to open it plus a sterling silver necklace with a chain and little cage-type holder for like $35. So it seemed overpriced and not really terribly unique if you could get it from QVC. I guess I'm just a mean mom!:mad:Dont' worry, though, she got PLENTY!:blush:

tinksmom02
05-05-2009, 09:00 PM
You know, my daughter wanted one of those pearls and I just couldn't bring myself to get one because I remember they had them on QVC (and still might) where you would get the clam/oyster thing and a tool to open it plus a sterling silver necklace with a chain and little cage-type holder for like $35. So it seemed overpriced and not really terribly unique if you could get it from QVC. I guess I'm just a mean mom!:mad:Dont' worry, though, she got PLENTY!:blush:

I've seen that little kit for WAAAYYY cheaper than the price you saw on QVC. I think the 'show' that goes along with it in the Japan store is way cool, though, and you get to 'pick' your own oyster.

Oh well, to each his own, I guess!

DVC2004
05-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I did the pick a pearl and it's lovely!:thumbsup: I will always remember it.

pink
05-06-2009, 07:59 PM
You know, my daughter wanted one of those pearls and I just couldn't bring myself to get one because I remember they had them on QVC (and still might) where you would get the clam/oyster thing and a tool to open it plus a sterling silver necklace with a chain and little cage-type holder for like $35. So it seemed overpriced and not really terribly unique if you could get it from QVC. I guess I'm just a mean mom!Dont' worry, though, she got PLENTY!

I've also seen it for a cheaper price. Online, we found the oyster, with the tools, a cheap but still nice necklace and "cage" for the pearl it was only $9.95. :mickey:

*goofy'sgirls*
05-06-2009, 09:05 PM
Can u let me know where u bought the band too? We're heading to the "World" in 24 days would love to buy one for my DH.

handmaidenofprincesses
05-08-2009, 07:40 PM
Uh... this might be a dumb question, but what happens if you open the oyster and there's no pearl inside? Do you get to pick another one? Or is it more "luck of the draw" and would cost you another $15? B/c (unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) there's no way for them to guarantee the oyster you choose has a pearl in it... :confused:

tinksmom02
05-08-2009, 09:49 PM
Uh... this might be a dumb question, but what happens if you open the oyster and there's no pearl inside? Do you get to pick another one? Or is it more "luck of the draw" and would cost you another $15? B/c (unless I'm mistaken, which is entirely possible) there's no way for them to guarantee the oyster you choose has a pearl in it... :confused:

They're cultured pearls, so there's a pretty good chance you'll get one (some people have even gotten "twins"), but I would guess they'd just let you pick another oyster if the first one was a dud.

Tinkpink
05-09-2009, 09:21 AM
We did "pick a pearl" and it was $15. We actually did several because my dd wanted one, too. We had them set for a necklace for about $30ish. THey were very pretty. Ours were actually similar in shape and color and could have been set as a pair of earrings. Maybe this year! Just FYI, there was a pearl station in Typhoon Lagoona and DTD as well.

We bought several fun Mickey items for the kitchen. These were actually a surprise for the family - to add some Disney magic once we got back home. I bought Mickey salad tongs (shaped like his hands), a Mickey shaped chip and dip bowl...etc. It has turned out to be very fun to see where Mickey would show up! Everyone was surprised to reach in and get salad and find MIckey hands.

Just an idea! Enjoy!

forever a child
05-09-2009, 10:32 AM
My DD purchased a silver ring that had her name carved into it. She has sort of an uncommon name so it is always nice to get something personalized. It was in Epcot too but I dont remember what country it was in. I think it was about $25.:girl:

cindchan
05-10-2009, 12:00 AM
I usually get a dragon from China every time.

PixieMagic
05-11-2009, 01:32 PM
My sister got my an awesome tinkerbell apron and oven mits last trip and saved them (almost 5 years!) until I got married! They were amazing and what a surprise!!!:cloud9:

biodtl
05-17-2009, 11:22 PM
We don't buy a lot of souvenirs (the kids would like to buy everything, though), but I usually get one thing for myself each trip. Last time, i decided to try the pick a pearl, and I got lucky and got twins. They were big for twins, so i paid an extra $18 for some cute dangly earring settings. All in all, $33 wasn't bad for a nice pair of earrings.

DisneyDog
05-21-2009, 11:14 AM
I've never picked a pearl, but I did get a pendant already set. It was from the pearl kiosk in DTD. It's set in a gold eternity (''8") shape and I love it. My DH bought it for me for our 10th anniversary and it will always be special to me.

Other special souvineers...we did one of those hologram picture engravings in a block of glass. I have these really cool wooden salad spoons from the Outpost. I only bring them out for company. And a photo frame with Mickey head cutout shapes for the photos to fit inside. I'm sure there's more, but those are my favorites.

HereWeGO
05-25-2009, 08:51 PM
While you're in Epcot, do the masks! Not just for kids you know :mickey:
You get a reason to stop in each country and talk to the cast members who will stamp your mask's handle, and write something native on the back of your mask if you want. Me and DW do it every time, drawing a bit on the mask in each country.
Great memories, and a totally unique and FREE souvenir!!! :thumbsup: :party:

jwildflower1981
07-05-2009, 11:09 PM
I did the pick a pearl in DTD in '07 and I loved it. It was the highlight of my trip. I have always loved pearls, and was just telling my DH I would love to get a black pearl ring one day. Well lo and behold I picked a HUGE black pearl! They made a big deal about it, gonged the bell and did a small ceremony saying how special and rare it was. They Elga ( I still remember her name:mickey:) said it was worth $135.00. So I had it set in a white gold ring setting. It cost $125.00 for the pearl and the setting. I wear it evry day and am commemted on it all the time.

hokies4life
07-06-2009, 01:16 PM
I know I had posted earlier that I have done the pick a pearl before but I was wondering if anyone had ever brought a pearl from somewhere else and got it set there in WDW. The reason I ask was because I picked one in Hawaii (they gave me 50% off so it only cost me $8 to do it) and I picked a large black pearl. They told me it was of a high quality because of the greenish colors as well. But the settings they showed me were around $250 and I wasn't willing or able to spend that much at the time. So I was hoping to bring it to Japan or DTD and get it set. Any ideas or comments on whether I would be able to do that?

barbiegirl314
07-09-2009, 02:46 PM
I like the masks that you can buy in Italy. They have some are porcelian and others that feel like a sturdy paper mache. Very pretty.

sara114
07-15-2009, 09:12 AM
My favorite souvenier is taking a picture at the Walt and Mickey statue in MK...with my grandson. I started this when he was just 11 months old (his first visit). It is fun to see how much he has changed and the area around the statue has changed. We will continue this until ....Nope ! He will always have to do this, I am the grandma !

DeniseMB
07-15-2009, 10:50 AM
I usually pick up a piece of pewter in the MK :mickey:

azcavalier
07-19-2009, 12:17 PM
My DW gets to buy one or two Jim Shore figurines from the Art of Disney stores (or the Marketplace on Main Street USA). They are usually holiday themed, so when those holidays roll around, she breaks them out and puts them on display for a month. She also has some non-holiday ones, such as the various castles or princesses.

As for myself, I needed a new watch, and so I held out for our next trip and got a *nice*, classy Disney watch from the World of Disney store at Downtown Disney.

Once we bought one of the musical wall clocks from the Japanese pavillion, but it doesn't really have anything to do with Disney.

We've also bought stuff for the kitchen. Collanders, trivets, Salt and Pepper shakers, etc.

q105birdman
07-20-2009, 12:30 AM
For a great keepsake, stop in to see Miyuki, the candy artist in Japan. If you are patient, she will create a very unique representation of your favorite animal in whatever color you like. It's awesome, and it's free!!! She only makes four or five per show so make sure that you get there early to get a good spot. Good luck!!!