PDA

View Full Version : AKL Question

Pagan
04-30-2009, 05:51 PM
Going down in two weeks...everyone keeps telling me to "explore" the Lodge.

Anyone want to give me hints of what's there to "explore"? :D

caryrae
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
We are staying there this Sept for the 1st time and it looks like a great place to explore.

SBETigg
04-30-2009, 06:37 PM
You can look around at the pool areas. There are firepits outside with rocking chairs gathered around. You can walk around and check out the animal areas off the various wings. There's an animal viewing area. And the lobby, the gift shop area, the bar with South African wines-- all fascinating, fun places to explore. There's a lot to look at, and a lot of fun places to sit, relax, and take it all in.

BugeyedMuggy
05-01-2009, 06:50 AM
Dont forget to walk over to the new villas and check out the new pools and savanas.

like2workout
05-01-2009, 09:08 AM
one of my favorite things to do there is to go to the viewing area at night time where they have night vision goggles to view the animals! any cm can tell you how to walk to it, and it's not far from the main lobby. it's free, and they have cm's there to tell you about the animals that you're watching. don't miss it!

they also have a bulletin board near one of the restaurants that will list all of the activities going on at the lodge. they have a lot going on there!

Pagan
05-01-2009, 09:27 AM
Thanks for the tips! I can't wait!

PlutoPlanet
05-01-2009, 11:56 AM
We "explored" AKL a couple of times. Now we stay there. We're still exploring.

ThanxForNoticin
05-01-2009, 12:28 PM
My wife finds the need to 'explore' the gift shop just about every trip! Actually, it is a great gift shop.

I would recommend - if you get the chance to spend a few minutes with any of the CMs near the animal observation areas. We've had some very interesting conversations hearing about their home countries and their reasons for being at Disney. Sometimes they can offer you other unique 'exploration' choices, too.

dream6
05-01-2009, 10:08 PM
one of my favorite things to do there is to go to the viewing area at night time where they have night vision goggles to view the animals! any cm can tell you how to walk to it, and it's not far from the main lobby. it's free, and they have cm's there to tell you about the animals that you're watching. don't miss it!

they also have a bulletin board near one of the restaurants that will list all of the activities going on at the lodge. they have a lot going on there!

This was so cool when we were there in March!! You HAVE to check this out at least once. And there are CM's there with the night vision goggles and they can tell you what kinds of animals are out there and fun things about them. It's a really neat thing that we just kind of stumbled on.

Zawadi
05-02-2009, 05:08 PM
Be sure to pick up a copy of the "Hidden Mickey Safari" from reception. :mickey:

dmosher
05-02-2009, 05:16 PM
Yes check out the night vision and the hiddeen Mickey hunt and also just open yoru eyes when you look. With the newer resorts, Disney has really gone over the top with hidden details. As a fun exercise, I like to put the MACRO setting on my camera(if you have one) and use it to get some amazing shots of the details they put into everything. When you do this you start to notice some amazing things.
Also, start in the lobby and just walk around the entire room, down the stairs to outside, follow the fence, etc. Just relax and take it in. While AK is not my favorite resort (that honor stays with WL) it is amazingly detailed and worth walking and checking out. Add to that the new areas around the Villas and that should keep you busy for a while. Check out the fireplace story telling too.
:pipes:
D

Pagan
05-02-2009, 05:33 PM
We "explored" AKL a couple of times. Now we stay there. We're still exploring.

My wife finds the need to 'explore' the gift shop just about every trip! Actually, it is a great gift shop.

I would recommend - if you get the chance to spend a few minutes with any of the CMs near the animal observation areas. We've had some very interesting conversations hearing about their home countries and their reasons for being at Disney. Sometimes they can offer you other unique 'exploration' choices, too.

Be sure to pick up a copy of the "Hidden Mickey Safari" from reception. :mickey:

Yes check out the night vision and the hiddeen Mickey hunt and also just open yoru eyes when you look. With the newer resorts, Disney has really gone over the top with hidden details. As a fun exercise, I like to put the MACRO setting on my camera(if you have one) and use it to get some amazing shots of the details they put into everything. When you do this you start to notice some amazing things.
Also, start in the lobby and just walk around the entire room, down the stairs to outside, follow the fence, etc. Just relax and take it in. While AK is not my favorite resort (that honor stays with WL) it is amazingly detailed and worth walking and checking out. Add to that the new areas around the Villas and that should keep you busy for a while. Check out the fireplace story telling too.
D
Awesome! Thank you everyone!

azdisneymom
05-02-2009, 08:38 PM
Plus AKL has a cultural tour in the afternoons. It is free of charge and a wonderful opportunity to talk with cms as they share their stories. A nice perk is you get to stop by each restaurant and sample some of the food. YUM!

As I write this I am hoping it hasn't been discontinued. This tour was offered last year when my family went. Maybe someone who has had a more recent stay can comment.

Enjoy your trip

dmosher
05-02-2009, 10:35 PM
Plus AKL has a cultural tour in the afternoons. It is free of charge and a wonderful opportunity to talk with cms as they share their stories. A nice perk is you get to stop by each restaurant and sample some of the food. YUM!

I had no idea this existed, even when we did stay there a few years ago. Sweet, good to know (in case they still do).
D

mrsgaribaldi
05-03-2009, 09:51 AM

The night vision goggles was my favorite thing in Feb. We did it a few times. Here's a link to some pics we took around the resort if you're interested http://family.webshots.com/album/570867837cqkUbm?vhost=family

Bellerella
05-03-2009, 04:34 PM
There is quite a bit to explore! I have only been there once, but it was amazing. Be sure to check out the artwork- there is a very elaborate African theme, and the art is amazing. Also the architecture in the lobby- it is something to ooh and aww over! There are viewing areas located so you can see the animals in the different savannahs at the lodge. There is also a lodge safarri, but I didn't find out about it until we had left. Enjoy! :mickey:

Pagan
05-03-2009, 09:27 PM
You guys are getting me REALLY excited...LOL.

Been going to WDW for 17 years, this is the first time staying on property.

I'm psyched now!

Pagan
05-05-2009, 02:39 PM
I have ANOTHER question...

What's the customary tip for housekeeping?

SBETigg
05-05-2009, 02:52 PM
I have ANOTHER question...

What's the customary tip for housekeeping?

Oh, that's a whole 'nother thread, and can of worms. ;) You can start at $1 to $2 a night and go up from there. We usually leave $6 a day/night, $4 for housekeeping and $2 for turndown. Sometimes we leave more or less, depending.

Pagan
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Thanx alot...I'm usually a heavy tipper. When I get a few more replies I'll probably round them all off and then add a few.

Watch someone put a ridiculous figure in here to blow my curve up! :razz: