PDA

View Full Version : Artyboy's Spring Trip March 21 - 28, 2009 Day #1

artyboy
04-29-2009, 08:02 PM
Hi All!

A word about this trip: my partner's Aunt passed away last November. She was an even bigger Disney freak than I...in fact, she's the reason that we bought DVC,. as she bought into it the very first year it was available, and we had spent several trips hanging out with her and Jack's uncle. She was the kind of lady that kept buying DVC points whenever she had any extra money. They usually spent about 6-8 weeks at WDW each year...usually two 3-4 week stays.

This was the first trip since she passed.

Also, Jack's nephew's wife passed away in the same month as his Aunt. The girls had never been to Disney without their Mother. I was concerned that this trip was going to be depressing, but knew that we had to go as it was important to his family. I'm very glad that we did.

Cast:

Me (artyboy) 40 ish
My Partner (Jack) 40 ish
Uncle (Glenn) late 50's and a big kid at heart
Nephew (Chuckie) 30ish and his 2 daughters, 12 and 10.

Day #1:

We get up very early (like 5:30) finish the last of our packing and hit the road. The drive from Key West to Orlando is uneventful and we get there in about 6 1/2 hours. (We also broke the trip up by meeting Jack's Mom in Ft. Lauderdale for a quick lunch, as she was just getting back from a cruise). We had some Hilton points saved up, so we stayed at the Doubletree across from DTD. The room was free for the entire stay, hence the hotel was even more awesome!! Check in was painless...the rooms are very nice (they're HUGE!!!) and while no, they are not "Disney," we really loved it. We had added a night at the last minute, so the room we had tonight was only for tonight...meaning that I didn't unpack and set up the room, as is how I usually prefer to do things.

We bought Season Passes back in December, so we were set for tickets. Nobody had arrived yet (they come in tomorrow) so we decide to hit Epcot...which I refer to as my Epcot bonus day. We tour slowly, shop and see stuff...not pushing too hard as I wasn't planning on getting this "extra day" at my favorite park. We leave a little early, hit DTD and Basin (gotta have my bath bombs while at WDW) and head back to the room.

Jack had a cheese plate delivered to the room while we were out (which came on a Mickey cutting board that I got to keep!...it retailed for $20 in the parks, so the cheese board was an awesome deal!) We opened some wine that we had brought with us and enjoyed a late-ish and "French-ish" supper. I was in the tub for my first "Disney Bath" after that and we were asleep fairly early (for us).

More to come...thanks for reading.

cinderellagrl
04-30-2009, 01:51 AM
hmmm...Disney, bath bombs, cheese and wine for dinner + a basically free hotel stay!!! Sounds like a good start...

Sorry about your loss, hopefully the trip brought back some memories of a happier time..

princessgirls
04-30-2009, 11:21 AM
Thanks for sharing Arty~

Great great start to your Disney Adventure!

Julie:mickey:

DizNee143
04-30-2009, 12:13 PM
sorry about your losses...

sounds like a wonderful start to the vacation so far!! :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
04-30-2009, 05:41 PM
Good start to the trip!:mickey:

yjgirl32
04-30-2009, 06:55 PM
Good start!

faline
04-30-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm sorry about your losses. Your trip must come with some bittersweet feelings.

You're off to a good start!

pdrlkr
05-01-2009, 07:16 AM
Thanks for the Report! :smickey: