PDA

View Full Version : where to watch WISHES outside of MK?

tinkerddeedee
04-29-2009, 07:34 AM
I'm not sure yet how many days we will visit MK and we really don't want to fight the crowds at the end of the night. I was wondering if there are other places we could go to watch wishes. I'm sure we would still fight traffic, but I'm hoping it wouldn't be as bad as park closing! :mickey:

olivegirl
04-29-2009, 08:08 AM
We LOVE watching Wishes from the beach at the Polynesian. We are not fans of fireworks up close so this is a perfect spot for us!!:thumbsup:

Kerry823
04-29-2009, 08:20 AM
Sit on the dock at the Grand Floridian.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
We watched from the Poly beach last year. We got Dole Whips and then walked out for the fireworks.

We took a taxi back to our resort, so there was no fighting crowds...it was awesome! :fworks:

pluto 77
04-29-2009, 09:17 AM
You can definatly get a good view from either the Poly of GF, but if you want to have a nice relaxing meal too I suggest watching from CA Grill! :cloud9:

Mousemates
04-29-2009, 11:11 AM
From the beach at the poly, the dock at GF, or if you can time it right on the shuttle boat to the GF.

badkitty
04-29-2009, 11:36 AM
The boat launch at TTC is a nice spot. They even pipe in the music.

slegrant
04-29-2009, 11:41 AM
The beach at Fort Wilderness, it's a spectacular view over the contemporary. They also pipe in the music:mickey:

Polynesian Dweller
04-29-2009, 11:56 AM
As much as I agree about the views from the Poly and GF if you are only coming there to watch the fireworks please don't. The guests who pay to stay at those resorts have the right to not have to fight the crowds in those areas. If you are coming because you have dinner at one of the restaurants then watching the fireworks afterwards is fine, you have also paid for the access.

The issue is the same as that for parking and pool hopping. Resorts guests have paid extra for the access to these areas and should not have to fight others for that.

That said, you can get a good view of Wishes from the ferry dock at the TTC if you are going back to your car.

ThanxForNoticin
04-29-2009, 12:18 PM
As much as I agree about the views from the Poly and GF if you are only coming there to watch the fireworks please don't. The guests who pay to stay at those resorts have the right to not have to fight the crowds in those areas. If you are coming because you have dinner at one of the restaurants then watching the fireworks afterwards is fine, you have also paid for the access.

The issue is the same as that for parking and pool hopping. Resorts guests have paid extra for the access to these areas and should not have to fight others for that.

I understand what your saying, but unlike pool hopping, there are no restrictions saying people cannot share those resorts to enjoy the fireworks. We have gone to the Poly beach just for the fireworks 2 or 3 times. We told the security guard why we were there, he gave us a guest parking pass, and told us to have a nice evening. At least from the perspective of the Poly Beach, there's plenty of room for guests to spread out.

Getting back to the original question by tinkerddeedee, I would highly recommend the Poly Beach - maybe even find out the schedule for the water pagent, too. That's another really fun thing to see from the shore.

Pally
04-29-2009, 04:42 PM
P. Dweller, I see that you have stayed at the Poly many times and feel a certain entitlement. But, your feeling of entitlement is very unDisneylike. Disney welcomes everyone. Don't discriminate. People visiting the GF and Poly might even one day decide to stay there because of that visit. Let people have there magical dreams. We are not party crashers just dreamers. :party:

PS-I loved seeing the fireworks from our top floor room at Wilderness Lodge.:thumbsup:

PixieMagic
04-29-2009, 05:48 PM
Definitely the beach @ Poly! It's especially great if you grab a hammock and a Lapu Lapu...so relaxing and beautiful! Plus you can catch the EWP!!!

jillluvsdisney
04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
The dock at the GF outside of Narcooses is very nice. The music is piped in over speakers.

realtreebar
04-30-2009, 12:58 AM

That said, you can get a good view of Wishes from the ferry dock at the TTC if you are going back to your car.

so that being said I guess at christmas i can not go to GF to see the decorations? its there for everone sorry you feel that its all for you because you paid the price to be there. but so did others as they bought a park ticket! and disney lets you visit there sorry you feel the way you do but I for one could care less the more people the merrier as i am at WDW!!!:mickey:

Tigger&Stitch
04-30-2009, 01:05 AM

Wow. Yikes. Definitely NOT the Disney spirit. Take your 'entitlement' elsewhere please. Rooms cost more at those resorts for many reasons (primarily room and convenient transport to MK), but the beaches are for everyone.

deedeebee
04-30-2009, 03:18 AM
I can see both sides of this issue and I have never personally done this and I wouldn't even think about doing it but everything is good in Disney. The Poly beach is a great place to see fireworks.

tjstrike
04-30-2009, 04:24 AM
We were lucky enough to catch a boat to Ft.Wilderness right as the fireworks were starting, our very kind captain stopped the boat and let us watch them from the middle of the lake, it was awesome. Never watched them from the Poly but I might just have to now !! :thedolls:

dmosher
04-30-2009, 05:22 AM
I think it should be said that even the "Official" Disney Guidebooks say that the beach at the Polynesian is a great place to see the firworks. If you ask a castmember or virtually anyone on staff they will say the same, regardless of wher eyou are staying. Also, this can not be compared to pool hopping without taking into account that as DVC members, DW and I are allowed to poolhop. In fact it is in the Member Benefits guide. So... only guest and DVC members are allowed to watch from a beach now?
Disney is not really big on exclusions and while I agree with certain stated rules (i.e. if you did nto pay for a hard ticketed event, you shoudl not bethere), this whole "where to watch fireworks from "is not a ruled statement, nor should it be. You can go up to the contemporary and out on the balcony at the Californian Restaurant without eating at the restaurant and no one bats an eye, so I seriously doubt it is against any rules to watch from a beach or any other place.
I have watched the fireworks from the Poly Beach during some of the most busy times of the season and let me assure you that there is never such a crowds that I have had to "fight for a spot" or anything of that nature. If Disney thought this was an issue, they would do what they normally do and that is to rope off an area strictly for Poly guests. Relax, get there early and grab a hammock and enjoy it.
:pipes:
D

tinkerddeedee
04-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Thank you everyone! I think my family will have a MAGICAL time watching Wishes from the beach at the POLY!!!!
Hey, we have ressies at O'hana for breakfast, does that count?:drama::funny::high5:

Grim Grinning Marathon Runner
04-30-2009, 11:47 AM
If you want to stay in the MK without having to feel like a salmon exiting the park, stake out a spot on or near the landing at the train station. The castmembers do an excellent job of keeping guests entertained while waiting, you have a great unobstructed view of the castle, and you have quick and easy access to exit.

The Poly and the GF are great places too, though. Any way you slice it, you'll be able to enjoy a fantastic show!!

Polynesian Dweller
04-30-2009, 04:49 PM
Wow. Yikes. Definitely NOT the Disney spirit. Take your 'entitlement' elsewhere please. Rooms cost more at those resorts for many reasons (primarily room and convenient transport to MK), but the beaches are for everyone.

Easy, now, you don't need to tell me what the reasons are, I've been there a lot after all and know the situation there.

But I can tell you, before they put controls on the parking a few years ago it could be extremly difficult to get parking because of all the people who would park there and go to the parks. It is not 'entitlement' but about the fact I should be able to park at my resort. It has also helped with the beach which also used to be difficult at times. Don't want to go through that again.

I don't think it matters what resort you are staying in, you expect to have access to the things in your resort.

Tigger&Stitch
04-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Easy, now, you don't need to tell me what the reasons are, I've been there a lot after all and know the situation there.

But I can tell you, before they put controls on the parking a few years ago it could be extremly difficult to get parking because of all the people who would park there and go to the parks. It is not 'entitlement' but about the fact I should be able to park at my resort. It has also helped with the beach which also used to be difficult at times. Don't want to go through that again.

I don't think it matters what resort you are staying in, you expect to have access to the things in your resort.

Any reason you chose to single me out even though several of us took exception with your arrogance?

You are now complaining about something that happened years ago?

I think it's very clear you were not talking about parking - you said it's ok if someone were to PAY for access to the beach (i.e. dinner), which is abhorrent. Are you assuming that all guests will be driving to the resort to watch fireworks? Chances are, if they are a guest at another resort, they will most likely be taking Disney transportation or a taxi.

And honestly, the beach isn't so small to warrant your rudeness.

Mickey91
04-30-2009, 11:04 PM
We like the Poly beach area. You still see the fireworks pretty much over the castle.

The California Grill is nice also but the fireworks are way to the right of the Magic Kingdom.

Polynesian Dweller
05-01-2009, 12:15 AM
Any reason you chose to single me out even though several of us took exception with your arrogance?

You are now complaining about something that happened years ago?

I think it's very clear you were not talking about parking - you said it's ok if someone were to PAY for access to the beach (i.e. dinner), which is abhorrent. Are you assuming that all guests will be driving to the resort to watch fireworks? Chances are, if they are a guest at another resort, they will most likely be taking Disney transportation or a taxi.

And honestly, the beach isn't so small to warrant your rudeness.

Words like arrogance, and rudeness do not belong on this board. I'm sorry you read them as that but I am neither.

What I am referring to is the kind of situations that led the Poly and other hotels to have to tighten rules. People parked at the hotel and made parking impossible at one point so they had to take action and limit the parking. They also limit pool hopping everywhere. Why, because people at resorts with popular pools were finding that they couldn't use them. So, make only for people at that resort.

SO MY POINT IS, if everybody starts to do the same thing with the Poly beach guess what, they will have to limit access there too. If people want that too happen, then by all means, come to the beach, but, don't be surprised when they start policing that too.

And please, refrain from words like arrogant, abhorrent and rude to describe me when you have no idea who I am and what I'm like. If you did know me that personally you would realize that my main concern is about others such as those who go to O'hana etc. who might lose the access. Me, I won't, I don't use the beach because I don't have to. Bet you didn't know that. So its not personal for me at all.

But I do know that they have looked at this and have had lots of complaints (none from me before you accuse me of something else) and may have to react to these like they did with the complaints about the parking and the pools. Me I hate seeing people ruin a good thing by overusing it and THAT IS MY POINT. DON"T OVER USE IT or a good thing could be lost. And if everybody read what I said more carefully they would have seen that!

In the meantime, lets all stop throwing insults, that's definitely not part of this board.

Tigger&Stitch
05-01-2009, 01:30 AM
Words like arrogance, and rudeness do not belong on this board. I'm sorry you read them as that but I am neither.

I agree, but you must understand that your first messages (and frankly the two after that) come off as all those things. Not only did you NOT try to explain that if 'everyone' suddenly rushes to the Poly beach to watch Wishes (incredibly unlikely), that access may be restricted.

No, instead you focused on the fact that people pay more to stay in the Poly and therefore shouldn't have to fight for space from others who haven't paid.

SO MY POINT IS, if everybody starts to do the same thing with the Poly beach guess what, they will have to limit access there too. If people want that too happen, then by all means, come to the beach, but, don't be surprised when they start policing that too.

Hmm...if that was your point, why didn't you make it two posts back? That's all you might have said. It surely would have sounded much less arrogant.

And please, refrain from words like arrogant, abhorrent and rude to describe me when you have no idea who I am and what I'm like. If you did know me that personally you would realize that my main concern is about others such as those who go to O'hana etc. who might lose the access. Me, I won't, I don't use the beach because I don't have to. Bet you didn't know that. So its not personal for me at all.

Errmmm...do you not understand the definition of arrogant? The sentences "I don't use the beach because I don't have to." and "Bet you didn't know that." are good examples. Perhaps you aren't as self-aware as you thought. Hysterical that you insist you are not arrogant and rude, and follow it up with those two sentences.

But I do know that they have looked at this and have had lots of complaints (none from me before you accuse me of something else) and may have to react to these like they did with the complaints about the parking and the pools. Me I hate seeing people ruin a good thing by overusing it and THAT IS MY POINT. DON"T OVER USE IT or a good thing could be lost. And if everybody read what I said more carefully they would have seen that!

Perhaps you should have just written that? Then I'm sure everyone could have understood your POINT.

In the meantime, lets all stop throwing insults, that's definitely not part of this board.

Listen, I'm just calling it as I see(read) it. And to be fair, I didn't insult you a person, only called attention to how your words are perceived.

tinkerddeedee
05-01-2009, 07:15 AM
WOW! ok simmer down! Take a breath and retreat to your own corners :) Lets not get this thread shut down.
Regardless of anyones post, we will still visit the Poly beach for Wishes. Thank you for your opinion.
What a great idea to watch from the train station.

garthbarth1
05-03-2009, 05:19 PM
I see WDW resort hotels very much like Las Vegas hotels. You may stay at one hotel, but each hotel has its own unique quality that makes you want to visit it: Restaurants, exhibits, shopping, themeing, etc. These hotels rely on the business of both guests staying at their resort, as well as others that are not, for busniess. ( Unless, of course, you are Steve Wynn and own half the hotels in Vegas, therefore it does not matter where you sleep, shop, or eat! It all goes to the same place:D) Unfortunately, we are never at WDW long enough to explore any resorts other than the one we are staying in...we tend to focus on the parks. However, I feel that Disney welcomes, and even encourages guests to visit different resorts as part of their vacation experience:cloud9: Either way, enjoy watching thefireworks from wherever you choose!:mickey:

maxrebo77
05-03-2009, 05:55 PM
The deck at Narcooses is my favorite and has become my traditional first night Do. Some of the employees even say hi and welcome back. A good feeling. Kids might like the beach at Poly better. Earlier in the evening some nights there is the torch lighting also, and maybe hula lessons? I think someone asked about this before, I'm not sure if they still have them. A window seat in the lounge at the Cal Grill is perfect, but hard to snag. Never watched by the TTC that I can remember.