PDA

View Full Version : Character Meals for Adults?

lspst888
04-29-2009, 04:36 AM
My fiancee and I are headed to Disney at the beginning of Septemeber for our honeymoon, and I was wondering about attending character meals without any kids. Do parties of just adults even go to them? Which ones would you recommend for people into classic Disney characters and Winnie-the-Pooh?

I remember going to a character breakfast as a child over 20 years ago. It was on a boat, and my mom has the best pictures from it. Are character meals any fun without children?

dmosher
04-29-2009, 06:01 AM
You want pooh? Go to Crystal Palace. DW and I do not have kids, are in our 30's and we love it. Pictures with Pooh, Tigger and Eeyore, etc.. awesome! We have also done Breakfast with Stitch at Ohanas, Cinderella's Royal Table, etc. Pick a few characters and do it, you don't need kids around, when your the kid!
:pipes:
D

TiggerD
04-29-2009, 08:10 AM
Oh yes, do character meals. My Dh and I are in our 50's and we do them all the time. When you are in the land of the magic, you become a kid all over again. Enjoy and Happy honeymoon:mickey:

SBETigg
04-29-2009, 08:18 AM
They're not my favorite Disney meals, but there's no reason adults can't attend if they're interested. The characters still visit your table for interaction whether you're seated with children or not. You would probably love the Crystal Palace meal if Pooh characters are your thing. I also like the Donald meal at the Animal Kingdom. The nice thing about character breakfasts is that you can get into the park early if your ADR is pre-park opening. Then you have the advantage of already being in the park when areas open up to guests.

I wouldn't overdo it with the character meals, though. They really aren't as much fun for adults (in my opinion) and if you plan to have kids, you'll start to long for the time when you'll be done with characters and enjoying some of WDW fabulous finer dining options. Mix it up, maybe one or two character meals, a few finer dining nights at Disney's Signature restaurants, and maybe some World Showcase or resort restaurants. Best wishes to you!

Charlee
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
My family are a big fan of character meals and we are all adults. The past 2 trips we have done the Crystal Palace x3, Chef Mickey's, Liberty Tree Tavern, Garden Grill and 1900 Park Fare x2. We always get up and interact with the characters and take pictures, the characters will play with you as much as with children if you react to them. If you just want a picture, take it and they move on!
Our family favorite is Crystal Palace with Pooh and friends. My parents always say they would eat there for all three meals each day of their Disney vacation if they could eat all the food!
This year it is just myself and my cousin (we're both 21) and we are doing Crystal Palace, Chef Mickey's and Ohana's.
Character meals are just as enjoyable if you're an adult! :mickey:

BigRedDad
04-29-2009, 10:16 AM
By all means go. I would skip the Princess meals unless I was trading my wife in. :blush:

MickeyandTink
04-29-2009, 11:19 AM
Having young kids, we've gone to many (but not anywhere near all) of the character meals. However, even if we were going without kids I would still recommend a couple of them.

We went to CP last year and though I didn't have very high expectations, I was pleasantly surprised. We are planning on doing it again this year, if we can get decent ADR's. Also, while many at Intercot might not agree, I would strongly recommend Akershus. Seeing all the princesses doesn't hurt :blush:, but we really enjoy the food and service has always been the best of any of the restaurants we've been to at WDW.

joanna71985
04-29-2009, 12:13 PM
I am an adult, and I love doing character meals. I've always had so much fun there. I highly recommend them.

ThanxForNoticin
04-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Character meals are for kids of all ages!!! By all means, enjoy one or two!

Friend of Figment
04-29-2009, 01:13 PM
I have no children and I go to Crystal Palace and Garden Grill every trip.

I especially like Mickey in his farmer clothes at Garden Grill.

tdk316
04-29-2009, 01:47 PM
I think my DH would leave me if we didn't at least go to Ohana for the Mickey breakfast every year... ;)

I've noticed how differently the adult-only tables get treated than the tables with kids (we haven't taken our kids with us yet). We've had some very funny moments with some of the characters over the years - like Minnie sitting on my DH's lap while showing some leg. I think she was trying to move in on my man... :mickey:

Mousemates
04-29-2009, 02:08 PM
Character Meals are lots of fun, even without kids. For Pooh the crystal palace is the place to go. Our fave for breakfast is 1900 PArk Fare...interaction with the face characters of Mary Poppins and the Mad Hatter are much fun.

Aggie97
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
We don't have kids yet, but we enjoy doing one character meal each trip. It's a great way to get some cute photos with characters without having to stand in a long greeting line! :)

We really enjoy the interaction with Pooh characters at the Crystal Palace. Chef Mickey's is fun for classic characters. I'd recommend going to CM for a very late breakfast, as we have found it to be a little slower paced and less crowded at that time. Garden Grill is another good option.

Often character attendants or guests at nearby tables offer to take our photo so that both of us can be in same picture, which is so nice.

I know this is just our personal experience, but we always feel a little awkward interacting with face characters, so we tend to avoid meals and greetings with them. :mickey:

BluewaterBrad
04-29-2009, 03:40 PM
We dont have children also. We enjoy the character meals. We have been to i think all of them over the years. We dont go to them every trip, but enjoy them everytime we do!@!:mickey:

DANAM
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
We have kids but don't want to waste our money eating not so great food just to see a Character or two. Although, we do eat at least 2per trip. We love 'Ohana's (Breakfast is character dining and Dinner isn't but both are really good) Crystal Palace is the best place to see Pooh and the food's good too. We also really like Hollywood and Vine but I would skip this one if you didn't have kids because kids are all over this place. The foods really good though dinner without the charaters would probally be a better option for you. 1900 Park Fare has really good food and you see Cindy and her friends. We also like Tusher House in AK for breakfast. Again the foods really good and you get the characters.

Hope you have a wonderful trip!!!

PETE FROM NYC
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
DW Elsie and I are in our 50s.We always do several character meals if alone or with nieces and nephews.Heck, I think we enjoy the interaction more than the kids.But, her and me are the worlds biggest kids.
I recommend :
Crystal Palace
Donalds Safari Breakfast
Chef Mickeys
We are not into the princess thing

artyboy
04-29-2009, 07:21 PM
We didn't try Character Dining until about 2-3 years ago, as I didn't think that we'd enjoy it. We actually booked our first 2 because we were taking some friends that had never been to WDW, and honestly, it was meant as a joke.

We loved it!

We now do Crystal Palace for breakfast and Akershus for lunch every other trip...especially if we are travelling with WDW "Rookies."

Try it...they really are fun! And we have been consistantly surprised at the quality of the food!

brownie
04-30-2009, 01:13 PM
We've always made it to at least one character meal on each of our trips. We've only had kids with us on two of our trips to Walt Disney World.

You should try to make it to at least one character meal on your trip. You can still enjoy them as an adult.

DizNee143
04-30-2009, 01:46 PM
you shouldnt even question it..its disney..you dont need kids to go there..so you dont need kids to do things while there.. lol
i love going to chef mickeys..its my personal fav..

Goes4FastPass
04-30-2009, 01:58 PM
My wife and I enjoy character meals when it's "just us" and some other typically family meals also like oHana.

Characters usually stop and gesture and happily pose for pictures the first time by then usually (thankfully) just wave if they pass again later.

Adults traveling without kids should never have any hesitation about such activities at WDW. There's a different theme park for people who don't want to pose for pictures with Pluto or WinnieTP - it's called Las Vegas.

GrmGrninGost
04-30-2009, 06:20 PM
DW and I love the characters as much (probably more) than the DKs! If you like Pooh, try the Crystal Palace. We especially like CP for breakfast! We have enjoyed all the character meals we have tried and look forward to many more! You owe it to yourself to try a few! I can't imagine anyone who loves Disney not loving them! :mickey:

BelleLovesTheBeast
05-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Congratulations! My DH and I honeymooned in WDW too.

We don't have any children and we always do a character breakfast or two. If you like Pooh then like everyone has said - Crystal Palace. We've also been to 1900 Park Fare at Grand Floridian and saw Pooh, Tigger, Mary Poppins, Alice & Mad Hatter. This time we are planning on trying Chef Mickeys.

We have always seen other couples and sometime even someone by themselves. I say go for it and have fun.

P.S. Pick up some bride & groom mouse ears. You'll have so much fun wearing them.

beksy
05-04-2009, 09:23 PM
We never did sit-down meals except one at WS when we visited growing up :mad: so our first experience with character meals was when I took my sister last February (I may need counseling since I now realize all I missed all those years.) Anyway, at 26 and 20 I think we enjoyed the experience just as much, if not more, than all the other people there with kids. We went to Chef Mickey's (my sister's dream--Mickey and Mickey waffles), Garden Grill (love it!), CRT (said we wouldn't go back because of the money but we are :blush:), and Crystal Palace (I love Eeyore!). I don't have a complaint about any of them. The characters signed autographs and posed for pictures with us just like the littler kids! We were also in all of the lines to meet the characters too and my sister still gets autographs. You're never too old, especially at Disney! I think the characters kind of took their cue from us, and when they saw we wanted to interact they did. The interaction and food was the best at Garden Grill (probably our favorite meal of the trip) but I love them all. We are going back to those and adding on 1900 Park Fare for dinner.

badkitty
05-04-2009, 11:45 PM
I did a character meal by myself and had a great time. Garden Grill was a lot of fun. Great interaction with Mickey and Chip and Dale. Mickey actually sat at my table and pointed out his favorite attractions in the park. So fun!

Princess'Mom
05-05-2009, 10:50 AM
By all means go. I would skip the Princess meals unless I was trading my wife in. :blush:

:laughing::funny:
You and I think alike! Although, it would be Prince Charming at 1900 Park Fare for DH! :D

Giselle
05-05-2009, 03:55 PM
I've seen lots of adults without kids at character meals. I think Crystal Palace is a good place for classic characters. Also Mickey Minnie and Goofy are at Liberty Tree. The Castle is a good place to be with princesses. Chef Mickeys at the Contemporary has good characters, but not as good of food if you ask me.