PDA

View Full Version : Swine Flu at Disney {Not Confirmed}

magicofdisney
04-28-2009, 11:59 AM
Swine Flu Case Confirmed In Orlando

Posted: 10:41 am EDT April 28, 2009Updated: 11:33 am EDT April 28, 2009
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned of Orlando's first confirmed case of swine flu. According to the chief medical officer for Adventist Health System, Loran Hauck, the case was diagnosed Tuesday morning."A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit," Hauck wrote in an email obtained by Eyewitness News.No further details have been released, but Eyewitness News is working to learn specifically what days the tourist was at the parks and which park the tourist went to.Details about the tourist, beyond being from Mexico, have not been released.Eyewitness News contacted the Orange County Health Department late Tuesday morning. They said they were unable to confirm the report.Disney told Eyewitness News late Tuesday morning that they have not received any confirmation about a swine flu case involving a guest.I was going to make a day trip on Friday for my kids, but I think we'll hold off now. I wonder how many may change their plans because of this.

Dixie Springs
04-28-2009, 12:11 PM
No problem for us - we're avoiding the Mexico pavillion at Epcot during this crisis. The Three Caballeros flu masks are cute though, we may just get one for a souvenier.

Mickey'sGirl
04-28-2009, 12:24 PM
No problem for us - we're avoiding the Mexico pavillion at Epcot during this crisis. The Three Caballeros flu masks are cute though, we may just get one for a souvenier.
:confused: Why?

GothMickey
04-28-2009, 12:54 PM
Despite the article, there is NOT a confirmed case at this time. The CDD has not confirmed any cases in Florida yet. And until they do, nothing is official.

GothMickey
04-28-2009, 12:55 PM

:confused: Why?

I take this as someone's attemt at humor. It was cute though.

Ian
04-28-2009, 12:56 PM
:confused: Why?I'm fairly sure that was a joke ..........

big blue and hairy
04-28-2009, 01:15 PM
I take this as someone's attemt at humor. It was cute though.

I'm fairly sure that was a joke ..........
Weeeellll....if no one's completely sure, it's kind of a lame joke, isn't it? :D

:sulley:

Mickey'sGirl
04-28-2009, 01:20 PM
Nope...serious question. Why avoid the Mexico pavillion over any other part of Epcot?

FaithTrustPixieDust
04-28-2009, 01:31 PM

Dixie- just so you know, I TOTALLY get you! :mickey:

Stu29573
04-28-2009, 01:32 PM
Weeeellll....if no one's completely sure, it's kind of a lame joke, isn't it? :D

:sulley:

I'm sure...and I thought it was funny...but then again, I have a weird sense of humor...:crazy:

GrumpyFan
04-28-2009, 01:35 PM
The title of this post should be changed, as to not incite fear.

Florida Hospital Denies Swine Flu Case Has Been Confirmed

Posted: 10:41 am EDT April 28, 2009Updated: 1:25 pm EDT April 28, 2009
ORLANDO, Fla. -- Eyewitness News has learned of Orlando's first confirmed case of swine flu, however Florida Hospital is denying the claim, which was made by one of their own officers in an email. According to the chief medical officer for Adventist Health System, which operates Florida Hospital, the case was diagnosed Tuesday morning.

"A case was diagnosed here in Orlando today on a tourist from Mexico who came to Disney attractions two days ago to visit," CMO Loran Hauck wrote in an email obtained by Eyewitness News.

But during an early Tuesday afternoon press conference called by Florida Hospital in regard to Eyewitness News' report, the hospital denies any confirmed cases exist.

"We understand that sometime in the past 24 hours there was an email sent from a Florida Hospital person to another person trying to educate them about how not to get the flu," Dr. Scott Brady of Florida Hospital said during the press conference. "There have been some reports indicating that there was in fact a case of the flu somewhere in the Disney area, but that has not been confirmed at this time."

WFTV reporter Kathi Belich then asked Brady specifically about the email reporting at least one confirmed swine flu case.

"There have been no confirmed cases of swine flu by the CDC in Central Florida," Brady responded.

Belich then pressed Brady on the email from Hauck.

"I have not talked to the chief medical officer about this," Brady said.

Shortly after the hospital's press conference, the Florida's Health Department held their own.

"At this time we have no confirmed cases here in Florida," Florida Surgeon General Ana M. Viamonte Ros said during theTuesday afternoon press conference.

Viamonte Ros said several samples are being sent to state labs where, if they get a positive test, they are then forwarded to the CDC for confirmation.

"Several tests are being conducted at this time, but there are no confirmed cases at this time" Viamonte Ros said.

No further details have been released, but Eyewitness News is working to learn specifically what days the tourist was at the parks and which park the tourist went to. Details about the tourist, beyond being from Mexico, have not been released.

Eyewitness News contacted the Orange County Health Department late Tuesday morning. They said they were unable to confirm the report.

"There are no confirmed cases in Orange County," said Dr. Kevin Sherin, Orange County health officer.

Sherin also told Eyewitness News he does not know whether local hospitals are able to "subtype" the strain of influenza A they are treating. The Health Department said they are more focused on the bigger picture of public safety and are trying to determine whether any cases are genetically traceable back to Mexico.

Disney told Eyewitness News late Tuesday morning that they have not received any confirmation about a swine flu case involving a guest.

Earlier reporting by the news agency of such a case was sloppy and reckless reporting!

Figment!
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
** Moderator Note **

As noted above, the original report from Eyewitness News is inaccurate. The medical case in question has not been confirmed as the Swine Flu.

Unless a confirmed case is cited in the vicinity of the Walt Disney World resort, this topic will be closed to discussion in the News forum.

The News Staff encourages interested INTERCOTee's to view the on-going thread in vacation planning for further discussion on the topic:

Swine Flu - what does that mean for Disney? (http://www.intercot.com/discussion/showthread.php?t=153904)