PDA

View Full Version : what about bringing food?

Paiges
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I am starting to plan our trip, and am wondering if anyone brings their own food? We are planning on eating breakfast in our room, and it should be fairly easy to pack pop tarts and granola bars where the souvenirs will go on the way home. Am I missing anything? Thanks!

Iteachpc
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
I usually pack some breakfast type snacks as well. It saves time in the morning and also money!

We drive to WDW so I also bring a case of water and some individual juices we can drink in the room. Once I even brought some canned drinks along. This time we're doing the Quick Service dining plan so I probably won't bring as much breakfast food and will not bring soft drinks at all since we will be getting refillable mugs.

A few small snacks that can be carried in backpacks without much mess are always a great idea. Hungry kids get grumpy fast and a snack and save a bad mood in a hurry!

ASweetLov
04-28-2009, 12:13 AM
I bring a cereal box for my fiance since he likes his cereal in the morning and we buy the milk the night before when we get to the resort from the park and then keep in in the ice bucket covered with ice the whole night. Works really well!

ASweetLov
04-28-2009, 12:16 AM
Oh yeah I bring a bowl from home for him to eat his cereal too.

playdead88
04-28-2009, 06:13 AM
absolutely! not only is it a $ saver its a time saver - although we order groceries from gardengrocer.com and have that stuff delivered - either way having bfast items and late night snacks in the room is nice :mickey:

gaffz70
04-28-2009, 07:26 AM
I usually pack snacks, cereal, bowls, and nesquick drink boxes(my kids drink choc milk every morning). I also add empty sports bottles, spray fans and some sunscreen and ship it all the week before so I'm not trying to cram everything into suitcases.

elmjimmlm
04-28-2009, 08:21 AM
We bring breakfast items along with bowls and spoons...We also bring snacks to take with us to the parks and water so we are not buying as much when we get there...

LauraF
04-28-2009, 09:23 AM
I bring the little travel cups of applesauce and cut fruit, as very often in the Florida heat I'm not interested in eating a heavy breakfast. I'll pack a spoon and bowl for each of us to wash out every morning too.

I also bring tea bags to brew in the hotel coffeemaker (mods and up include one) as my other half is a pain in the morning without something caffinated to drink.

Last time on the DDP we also took our desserts (which we couldn't finish) to go, stuck them in the fridge and those were breakfast the next morning.

MomTo3Tiggers
04-28-2009, 10:13 AM
We ship it down in advance in a box - but we stay at Ft. Wilderness with a kitchen and need some special foods for dietary reasons. They hold the box for us at the Resort.

RedSoxFan
04-28-2009, 12:28 PM
I usually pack granola bars and a couple of boxes of gold fish, etc.

TheVBs
04-28-2009, 01:22 PM
We drive so we pack stuff for sandwiches and snacks on the road. We also bring some snacks to take into the parks. And, this time we're going to bring some breakfast items and pick up milk just before heading into the World. :mickey:

Paiges
04-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Thanks for all the great ideas! :mickey: I hadn't thought about snacks for the parks, but we will do that, too. We won't have a car - will I be able to buy milk by the gallon at Disney? I expect it will be expensive, but cheaper than buying breakfast every day!

MickeyandTink
04-29-2009, 06:30 PM
We are not big breakfast eaters early in the morning (I can't even bear the thought of going to a breakfast buffet at 7 or 8 in the morning) :ack:, plus we don't want to spend the time every day eating at the hotel.

We've always packed several boxes of the individual cereal packs, some granola bars, instant oatmeal and maybe a few muffins (for the first day or two) to eat in the room while we are getting ready for the parks. And the space left over in the suitcase from the now consumed breakfast items is used to carry back souveniers.

We'll still eat a Mickey waffle once or twice as a special treat for the kids, though. :blush:

LVT
04-29-2009, 07:26 PM
Yes, pack snacks and some disposable table ware.
Dry the handwashing dish soap onto paper towels
or face wipes for washing out the refillable mugs, etc. These pack flat in a baggie.
We also take disposable cups with covers. We
get our refillable mugs early, then transfer coffee into the cups for waiting for buses (can't get too much caffeine at 0700)

sweetsavannah
04-30-2009, 07:09 AM
We just got back from our first trip yesterday and we brought some of our own food for breakfast. It worked out great.:mickey:

joonyer
04-30-2009, 12:03 PM
We drive, so we pack all kinds of food for breakfasts and snacks in the room. We take a big cooler in the car with us so we can bring milk, etc. from home, and don't have to grocery shop after we get there. Mods & Deluxes have fridges in the rooms and you can get one at the values for $10 per day.

We bring cereal muffins, granola bars etc. for breakfasts, crackers, cheese, chips etc. for late night snacks.

teambricker04
05-01-2009, 12:13 PM
I am a fan of bringing food! We were down last year (A year a go this week!) for two weeks. I sent down a box fedex ahead of us with snacks, stuff for breakfast, and diapers. Because we have small children, it is easiest to get going in the morning by having breakfast in the room. We were at the BC so there was a fridge in the room and down in the shop they sold half gallons of milk. It was also nice to have snacks to bring with us... you never know when people are going to get hungry!

Disney Doll
05-01-2009, 02:45 PM
We always do breakfast in the room. It helps us get going a little quicker and it saves money. We've done it all ways. Sometimes I just pack cereal bars, dry cereal, or instant oatmeal and then buy drinks at the resort (refillable mugs). Now that we have a baby we usually do a grocery delivery so I can get fresh fruits and milk. I did ship a box once with diapers, baby food, and snacks, but I think the grocery delivery is more convenient and just about as cheap.

tcswife
05-02-2009, 04:22 PM
How much does it cost on average to ship a box FedEx before we leave?? One with diapers and snacks and such!!:mickey:

dmosher
05-02-2009, 04:37 PM
Just be sure there is no "glass" or alcohol in the bag you bring in to the parks.
:pipes:
D

dream6
05-02-2009, 05:30 PM
We also like to have breakfast things in the room like granola bars or cereal bars, but we really like to have fresh fruit. We always grab apples, oranges, and grapes so that we have something healthy to snack on. There is a stand in DHS over by ToT that sells fresh fruit although I have never bought anything from there.