PDA

View Full Version : New to the Disney Vacation

Kimmiesue1969
04-27-2009, 10:16 PM
I am new to this Disney vacation thing. :minnie2: We have our vacation booked and paid for when we visit in July for our 21st anniversary.:chipdale: This is mine and my husbands first time ever being at Disney.:mickey: Any suggestions on what we should do to prepare and any suggestions for us once we get there? :confused: We have already made all of our dining reservations (we bought the premier dining plan). :eat: Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :minnie:

Iteachpc
04-27-2009, 10:50 PM
Congrats on your first Disney vacation! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful time!

The best advice I can give is be prepared. Read all you can about WDW. It is a HUGE place with lots to do, but without a plan you may find that your vacation is less than you expected. Read the chatboard here at Intercot. Check out some books from your local library and become familar with the park layouts and how things work (fast passes, transportation, EMH, etc.) If you have questions, post them here and you're sure to get a quick answer.

Planning is half the fun of a Disney vacation!

BMan62
04-27-2009, 10:58 PM
First off...

:welcome: to Intercot!!!

You've come to the right place for information for your Disney vacation.

Best bet is to peruse the threads and find the little things you might not be aware of - like Hidden Mickeys, where to find the best viewing spot for the parades and fireworks/closing shows, which rides and attractions are best to Fast Pass, etc.

I, personally, have not been to WDW in the summer months, but I think I may be in the minority.

When all is said and done, ENJOY!!

Kimmiesue1969
04-27-2009, 11:09 PM
The only reason that the summer month of July was chosen was because our anniversary is the 17th and we NEVER had a honeymoon. I bought the Birmbaum Official Guide and read that. I am sooooo excited about going and I want to make this the BEST vacation we have EVER had. Any certain place we should see (ie. a MUST SEE) while we are there? I am looking forward to seeing as much as we can.

Kimmiesue1969
04-27-2009, 11:11 PM
The only reason that the summer month of July was chosen was because our anniversary is the 17th and we NEVER had a honeymoon. I bought the Birmbaum Official Guide and read that. I am sooooo excited about going and I want to make this the BEST vacation we have EVER had. Any certain place we should see (ie. a MUST SEE) while we are there? I am looking forward to seeing as much as we can.

Also need to know if I should call POP and request a certain room. Please advise. :confused:

deedeebee
04-28-2009, 05:12 AM
Some other books that you might also try are The Passporter and The Complete Walt Disney World 2009. The passporter is an excellent book for Disney beginners. My advice on staying at the POP is to pay attention to the bus routes and allow yourself plenty of time to be where you need to be. Wear comfortable shoes. In July wear as little clothes as possible, wear a comfortable hat, take plenty of sun block and keep a poncho with you because thunderstorms can pop up at any time. :mickey::thumbsup:

PetefromRI
04-28-2009, 06:31 AM
:welcome:to Intercot.I wish that I had found it when I was a Disney puppy.To me,the Passporter is the best guidebook going.It's got great maps and thorough explainations on ticket media,foodplans,etc.etc..Remember that the Disney World property is something like 47 square miles so there is lots to do.How long are you staying and is there anyway that you could upgrade to a moderate?The Pop is fun and pretty inexpensive,my wife and I have stayed there twice but we still prefer the moderates.I think for a late honeymoon that the Port Orleans French Quarter would be perfect.So you got the deluxe food plan?I hope that your big eaters because Disney feeds you pretty good.Your gonna love it and you may possibly book your next trip before you leave Disney!

Dulcee
04-28-2009, 08:15 AM
When you check in mention its your anniversary! You can also mention it for your dinner reservations. Especially this year, Disney is great at helping people celebrate and making trips like yours just a little bit more magical.

I'm not positive, I'm sure someone else here can say for sure, but they may also have anniversary buttons you can pick up and wear. :mickey:

LoriSan
04-28-2009, 10:17 AM
yes, they certainly do have Anniversary buttons! You can get them when you check in at Pop

MOJoe
04-28-2009, 10:40 AM
Some of the best advice you can get is to arrive at the parks early. Right at or before they open, and get as much done as you can. This is especially important in the heat of the summer. Because by mid-afternoon it becomes very, very hot and humid - kinda like Mississippi :blush:.

Take an afternoon break, and relax. Then when it cools down (to around 90) in the evening, go back and take in all the parks at night. Very romantic.

Most importantly, do not try to see everything WDW has to offer. Slow down and savor all the magic. If you do, this will be a fantastic "honeymoon." Enjoy!

It'sWDW4me
04-28-2009, 11:03 AM
POP is a fantastic resort and I'm sure you'll love it - very kitschy (in a good way)! My best advice for POP is, if you haven't already, book a preferred room. The end-of-the-day walk to your room can seem like miles after a long, hot day at the parks! Take advantage of the pool - even a half hour dip is very soothing.

Definitely read up well in advance on the myriad of attractions, tips, and the park layouts but, once you're in the parks - relax, look around (most of our favorite memories are from unplanned diversions), and don't even try to do everything. I have my family each pick out only 2 or 3 things from each park that they would be horribly sad if they didn't get to do and we make sure we get those in. Everything else is gravy!

I hope you have a very lovely & magical "honeymoon". :magic:

MickeyandTink
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
You've come to the right place for info and suggestions :rocks:

You might want to go with your DH to a local Disney Store and see about getting one or two Disney T's to wear in the world. If there is no store nearby, you can go to the online site and shop there.

I would also strongly recommend getting either the photopass CD or making your own Photopass scrapbook for a very memorable souvenier. We have also done the "character drawing" at DHS. You go through a quick "class", where an animator shows you how to draw a Disney character. The best part is you get to keep the drawing as a souvenier. It's a lot of fun and we get a big smile each time we look at them (even if it's very obvious why none of us are WD animators :D )

If you do that, I would strongly suggest throwing a couple of empty cardboard tubes into a bag(shipping tubes are best, but paper towel tubes work as well) to protect your rolled up artwork.

Have Fun!

Figment78
04-28-2009, 08:26 PM
Since this is your first time - you can do anything and you will have a fantastic time! There is so much that will take your breath away.

In particular - some romantic things to do are:

Visit Animal Kingdom Lodge - either for dining or just to explore and have a drink at the bar. The lodge is beautiful, romantic, and so unique to Disney.

Catch the fireworks at MK and Epcot - we've all seen fireworks countless times, but WDW fireworks are supremely unique in that they will move you to tears, to dance, to joy... Fantasmic at DHS is also wonderful.

Hold hands on the haunted mansion, Pirates of the Carribean, heck, even Hall of Presidents and Philharmagic - who says that the Magic Kingdom can't be romantic! :)

Visit the Boardwalk at night. rent a surrey bike.

Definitely hit the parks early and come back for a rest, a swim, or whatever :secret: to refresh. Then head back out for dinner and an evening in the parks.

Nut4DW
04-28-2009, 11:03 PM
Congrats on your 1st trip. Be sure to get your anniversary buttons and wear them often - we got one free dessert and one special dessert with "Happy Anniversary" written in chocolate on the plate. Also, at the American Pavilion at EPCOT we were called to the phone and told we had a very important call - when I answered the phone it was Mickey and Minnie telling us Happy Anniversary - was cute. They also gave us a certificate that makes a beautiful keepsake. I would recommend that you do a lot of walking before you go - even for those who are in good shape, all the walking around Disneyworld in that summer heat can wear you out. I also agree with those that said to read all you can and make some plans. You cannot do it all so pick the things you really want to do ahead of time so you won't find yourself disappointed because you missed them. Have a magical time!!

spoiledraf
04-28-2009, 11:28 PM
I am new to this Disney vacation thing. :minnie2: We have our vacation booked and paid for when we visit in July for our 21st anniversary.:chipdale: This is mine and my husbands first time ever being at Disney.:mickey: Any suggestions on what we should do to prepare and any suggestions for us once we get there? :confused: We have already made all of our dining reservations (we bought the premier dining plan). :eat: Thanks in advance for your suggestions. :minnie:

You mention the premier dining plan. Do you mean Deluxe or Premium plan? There is a huge difference in what you get between the two. The deluxe plan is dining only. The Premium plan includes all the activities to include fishing, my favorite, water sports, boats, Circe de Sole tickets, tours, golf and much more.

Kimmiesue1969
04-29-2009, 12:03 AM
You mention the premier dining plan. Do you mean Deluxe or Premium plan? There is a huge difference in what you get between the two. The deluxe plan is dining only. The Premium plan includes all the activities to include fishing, my favorite, water sports, boats, Circe de Sole tickets, tours, golf and much more.

We have the Premium plan. I should have checked my spelling. lol Sorry. I just wanted to make this first trip a vacation of a lifetime.

Kimmiesue1969
04-29-2009, 12:08 AM
POP is a fantastic resort and I'm sure you'll love it - very kitschy (in a good way)! My best advice for POP is, if you haven't already, book a preferred room. The end-of-the-day walk to your room can seem like miles after a long, hot day at the parks! Take advantage of the pool - even a half hour dip is very soothing.

Definitely read up well in advance on the myriad of attractions, tips, and the park layouts but, once you're in the parks - relax, look around (most of our favorite memories are from unplanned diversions), and don't even try to do everything. I have my family each pick out only 2 or 3 things from each park that they would be horribly sad if they didn't get to do and we make sure we get those in. Everything else is gravy!

I hope you have a very lovely & magical "honeymoon". :magic:

I requested a preferred room. I also requested a fridge. With the dining plan I am not so sure we could eat everything so I figured what I don't eat I can take to my room. ;) I am trying to get input on what to do, not to miss. Any suggestions would be great!! I am soooo excited about this pending adventure!!:cloud9:

Kimmiesue1969
04-29-2009, 12:13 AM
You've come to the right place for info and suggestions :rocks:

You might want to go with your DH to a local Disney Store and see about getting one or two Disney T's to wear in the world. If there is no store nearby, you can go to the online site and shop there.

I would also strongly recommend getting either the photopass CD or making your own Photopass scrapbook for a very memorable souvenier. We have also done the "character drawing" at DHS. You go through a quick "class", where an animator shows you how to draw a Disney character. The best part is you get to keep the drawing as a souvenier. It's a lot of fun and we get a big smile each time we look at them (even if it's very obvious why none of us are WD animators :D )

If you do that, I would strongly suggest throwing a couple of empty cardboard tubes into a bag(shipping tubes are best, but paper towel tubes work as well) to protect your rolled up artwork.

Have Fun!

What does DH stand for and what does DHS stand for? I would like to get the photopass cd. How much are they and when and where do we get them? I plan on getting the Tshirts for sure. I am thinking we would design a couple in Downtown Disney. Good idea??

thejens
04-29-2009, 01:04 AM
DH = dear husband, DHS = Disney Hollywood Studios. It is even trickier when people refer to attractions (rides) with initials. :mickey: In my opinion the best book is the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I agree to get to the parks when they open. Especially since you are going in the summer you may want to relax and swim in the afternoon. You'll have a wonderful time. Congratulations!

PixieMagic
04-29-2009, 02:39 AM
Ha ha! I always thought DH = Disney Husband!

Anyway, my tips would be: (and some of these may be repeated...I opened this thread yesterday morning):

-Get a preferred room and research which building/floor/etc - it's worth it

-Call Disney again and make sure they note on your reservation that it's your anniversary/honeymoon...they will be more than accommodating and may even upgrade your room...don't expect anything, but if nothing else they may leave a "fun surprise" in your room for you! :dance:

- Get your anniversary buttons...sometimes they give you a better table @ a TS restaurant, or decorate it, or put you on a ride all by yourselves (Mexico, POTC, Norway)

-Get your photo pass CD - such amazing photos that the two of you wouldn't get on your own and it's only a little over $100 - so take advantage of it...ours has over 150 photos from a 5night/6day trip!

-Try to get a table by the water @ Rose & Crown for illuminations...it's amazing

-Ahead of time, go online and buy the mickey/minnie bride and groom ears! You will feel super special and be happy all day long :minnie:

-Decide on a couple "don't miss" items throughout the park then relax and enjoy what you can of the rest of it...it's impossible to do in just one trip without stressing and not eating!!

-Take a mid-day break to get out of the heat

-Plan park days around late EMH

-Bring Ponchos! It will most likely rain every day...but only for an hour or so...you can always research rides to duck into - but the memories of the two of you in Mickey "duck" ponchos is priceless...it's an ongoing joke for our family!

-Research intercot boards and/or contact us veterans! We are more than happy to help!!!

:congrats: and have an amazing anniversary/honeymoon!!!!:cloud9:

dmosher
04-29-2009, 06:13 AM
Be prepared but flexible. The ride you want to do is closed, the show was cancelled, Mickey fainted from over heating, whatever, just be flexible. Usually people decide to go to WDW and go insane in the belief that they HAVE TO SEE IT ALL. You don't, and you probably won't, so don't try. You will make yourself tired, sick and really annoyed that after all your hard work, you got home and still missed SOMETHING.
Make you plane, pick what park you want to do, pick the key rides, shows, attractions you want to visit, etc. Plan a day out of the parks for shopping, hotel hopping, etc (if you have the time). Plan to go back to your room mid-day for a nap, whatever, just take it easy and relax. No matter what you paid for the trip, you are still on vacation. Take your time, stroll around EPCOT after the crowd leaves, they will be open for at least another hour, etc. The best advice i can give you is to give into the Magic of Disney and enjoy your trip.
:pipes:
D

spoiledraf
04-29-2009, 08:23 AM
If you are on the premium plan, you have a lot more planning if you plan to take advantage of all the other activities. If you don't expect to have the time for those, you may want to change to the Deluxe Dining Plan. You will get nearly the same dining experience for a lot less $$$.

How many days are you staying? For a first visit, a short stay doesn't give you much time to enjoy and explore the parks and use all the exra activities. A longer stay, 7-8 days, should allow time for some relaxing boat rides or maybe a little parasailing, all included free in your package. I personally am a fan of the premium Package as it includes the bass fishing. I go several times a trip and am done by a little after 9 and we go off to the parks. We've left the MK and walked over to the Contemporary and took out the jet skis just to cool off. Or you can take a couple water sprite, a mini boat, or a pontoon boat and take a personal tour of the Seven Seas Lagoon or Bay Lake. Perhaps a Keys to the Kingdom Tour to see behind the scenes at the Magic Kingdom. It's a great tour.

At any rate, make sure you print out a copy of all that is included in the Premium Plan off the Disney reservations web site. Where you choose your Magic Your Way package, when you choose Premium Plan, there is a link to the plan. Look it over to see what all is included. And by the way, with most dining plans, it takes two credits to get a signature meal. With the Premium plan you only need one credit for any restaurant except Victoria and Alberts, which is not include at all.

Good Luck planning and have a great time!

cmsizzlin
04-29-2009, 08:34 AM
Congrats on your first trip. It can be very overwhelming to say the least but you have come to the right place here on INTERCOT - Everyone is so helpful and they speak from experience.

Have a wonderful vacation and enjoy your anniversary

caryrae
04-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Did you get the free Disney Vacation Planning DVD. It's a fun little DVD that tells you about WDW. https://www.disneyvacations.com/dv/en_US/VacationPlanningDVD/index?sourcecode=11834&referrer=dp&hdrType=default&vcnType=genv&bhcp=1

Also if you haven't already read up about the Fast Pass, it can save you so time on some Attractions. http://www.intercot.com/themeparks/tickets/fastpass/default.asp

PixieMagic
04-29-2009, 05:08 PM
Another thought! If it's included in your package (or not) DO THE SEGWAY TOUR! Book the early morning around the world tour! It's amazing, and oh so fun to be in the parks early and riding a segway while finding out interesting tid bits about all the countries! FUN FUN FUN!! YOU ARE GOING TO HAVE SO MUCH FUN!!!!! :cloud9:

Kimmiesue1969
04-29-2009, 05:34 PM
I just called the reservation line (I think the operator thought I was crazy). I just wanted to confirm my preferred room and remind them of my early arrival. The last reservation lady I spoke with said that I will be able to check-in early and this guy that I just spoke to said that I had to wait until 3pm. What am I to do???? I have lunch and dinner reservations that day. Oh my gosh!!! Now I am stressing. I don't know if I need to cancel those reservations or not. HELP!!!! :bang::help:

MickeyandTink
04-29-2009, 06:19 PM
Checking in early is not a problem. HOWEVER, you may not actually be able to get into your room until later in the afternoon (i.e. 3:00). We've always been able to check into POP when we arrived (usually around noon), but it was a few hours until we could get into our room.

No problem. We would just go out to the parks for the day, and then come back either to get ready for dinner or when we were done for the day. The hotel had our luggage waiting in the room when we got back.

Magic Smiles
04-29-2009, 06:59 PM
Out of the 5 trips we have had I have to say that I think that our 1st trip was our best. We took our time, went with the flow and just took in all of our surroundings. The details are amazing. We didn't get to do everything, but we didn't even know what we missed and absolutely enjoyed every moment of our vacation. For our 2nd trip we purchased the Unofficial Guide to WDW. I highly recommend that book.
So my advice would be, take you time and just enjoy every minute of your vacation. Disney World is not going anywhere so when you return home you can hopefully start to plan your 2nd vacation to the world for the future.
Happy Anniversary in advance:mickey:

PETE FROM NYC
04-29-2009, 07:01 PM
I also recommend the Unofficial Guide.
I feel the Birnbaum Official Guide reads more like a WDW ad, no objectivity.
Enjoy yourself and try not to be too overwhelmed.

Kimmiesue1969
04-29-2009, 10:23 PM
Checking in early is not a problem. HOWEVER, you may not actually be able to get into your room until later in the afternoon (i.e. 3:00). We've always been able to check into POP when we arrived (usually around noon), but it was a few hours until we could get into our room.

No problem. We would just go out to the parks for the day, and then come back either to get ready for dinner or when we were done for the day. The hotel had our luggage waiting in the room when we got back.

Whew!!!! Thank goodness. I was thinking that I would end up spending the majority of my day in the lobby!!! Thank you so very much for the input. Now I can relax!! I can't wait!!! I am soooo excited!!! Got the count down going full speed ahead!!! Wooo hooo. I feel just like a kid again.:tink: I just love this Disney Magic.:magic::tink:

DANAM
04-30-2009, 12:06 PM
Everyone has given you some great suggestions. I would add one thing, a horse and carrige ride at Port Orleans. I have never done this myself but I heard so many people discuss how romantic it is. We are trying the sleigh ride at WL for Christmas otherwise we would have done the carrige ride.

Kimmiesue1969
04-30-2009, 01:34 PM
Everyone has given you some great suggestions. I would add one thing, a horse and carrige ride at Port Orleans. I have never done this myself but I heard so many people discuss how romantic it is. We are trying the sleigh ride at WL for Christmas otherwise we would have done the carrige ride.

Nice suggestion.:mickey: We might give it a whirl. :cloud9:

Kimmiesue1969
05-10-2009, 12:34 AM
63 days till Disney!!! I am getting more and more excited each day that passes. I purchased Disney personalized luggage for me and my DH. He is getting just as excited as I am now. We are celebrating our 21st anniversary this year at Disney and I am wanting to make this vacation memorable. I just can't wait. WOOO HOO!!!

Daddy Mouse
05-10-2009, 07:52 PM
Congratulations on 21 years of marriage. Listen to what other posters have said about fastpass etc.. I also recommend Unofficial Guide. DW and have used their advice and even touring plans and have found them to be a good resource.

Lastly, remeber Less is More! Take your time enjoy the magic but enjoy each other as well. Meet and greet the characters and become kids again.:pixie:

Kimmiesue1969
05-13-2009, 12:17 AM
I have every plan to attack every character I can find!!! I feel like a kid again just thinking about being there!!! I am such a goofball!!! My hubby says he is enjoying my excitement more than anything!! LoL 60 days to go!!! Wow time flies when you are having fun. Come on July 12th!!!:smickey:

Sylvia
05-13-2009, 01:29 AM
Congratulations on your first Disney vacation. Don't be surprised if you find yourself planning your next one even before the first one is over.

My recommendations are:

The minute you leave for the airport, be an adult only as long as necessary. By the time you arrive in Orlando, you should be well on your way to "kid mode". After all, we'll all just big kids in WDW. Have fun!!! Meet all of your favorite characters. Take photos and get their autographs. Always take your camera with you. You never know when the perfect photo op will happen.

Order the WDW DVD.

Read the guide books.

Keep checking Intercot for the latest news, as well as hours of operation, extra magic hours (morning and evening) during your stay, etc.

Check the official WDW webpage too.

Make lists. On the first one, list all of the must-do attractions. On the second one, list all of the "would be nice to do if we have time" attractions.

Using your lists and the guide books, prepare a tentative schedule for each day. Don't forget to include your meal reservations. I used the word "tentative" for one simple reason. Nothing, other than table service meals, should be etched in stone. Each park has a lot of entertainment ranging from the Jammitors in EPCOT to DeVine in Animal Kingdom (and everything in between). You never know what you're going to see or hear.

Take advantage of extra magic hours when possible. Don't forget to list this information in your tentative schedule.

Allow some "down time" during the day. Do a little resort-hopping to check out some of the Disney resorts. Go back to your room for a swim or an afternoon nap. Or, if you'd rather stay in the park, get a treat and find a nice bench or table; one of my favorite "break" spots is at the Electric Umbrella in EPCOT - get something to drink or a snack, grab a table outside and enjoy the fountain shows (water timed to music - great!).

Another favorite "break" spot is at the end of Main Street in the Magic Kingdom; as you're facing the Castle, there is a large seating area on the right side, down by the water. This has now been designated as a smoking spot, but if it's not crowded and you're not a smoker, you can always find a table away from any smokers who may be there. The treat comes from one of two places - the Main Street Bakery or the Ice Cream Parlor.

You're planning to stay at my favorite value resort. Take some time to explore POP century. The resort is loaded with memorabilia from the 50s through the 90s. Take a walk by the lake.

:mickey: Don't feel overwhelmed by all of the information and helpful hints you're receiving. Remember - you can always plan another WDW vacation to see/do all that you miss on your first trip.:goofy:

No matter what you do, have a wonderful time!!!

pandkx3
05-13-2009, 08:52 AM
From a fellow Mississippian, You're going to have a great time! Our own disney vacation is in 30 days and my dining room is turning into the "things to take to disney" room. Do you guys drive or fly?:mickey:

Tygger7
05-13-2009, 09:49 AM
Congrats on your anniversary & first trip to Disney World! You've received some great tips, and there is a TON of info here on Intercot, so you can learn things that normally take multiple trips to discover.

I definitely recommend pre-purchasing the Photopass CD. I don't have the link handy, but feel free to "private message" me and I can send that to you. It's $99.95 and worth every penny.

Also, with the Premium Plan, you will be stuffed to the gills all the time. Something to consider for your next trip would be to stay at a moderate or deluxe resort with the Basic Dining Plan. I'm stuffed all the time with the Basic Dining, and the moderate & deluxe resorts are fantastic. (I can't remember about the moderate resorts, but there's no charge for a fridge at the deluxe resorts.) Don't get me wrong...Pop Century is awesome. I've stayed there before and plan to again...but there's no way we would ever use all the "add-ons", or be able to eat all the food, with the Premium Plan, there's just not enough time or stomach space. To me, the Wilderness Lodge & Poly are the most romantic places to stay, with Port Orleans Riverside a close third.

Definitely take time to "resort hop". From Magic Kingdom, get on the resort monorail loop and visit the Contemporary, Polynesian, and Grand Floridian. When you get back to Magic Kingdom, take the boat to the Wilderness Lodge. :cloud9:

And, if you'd like to chat 1:1 about any questions or specifics, please feel free to private message me. Nothing I like to do more than talk about my favorite place in the world!! :D

GrumpyFan
05-13-2009, 10:22 AM
Congratulations on your anniversary and your first trip to WDW! You're going to have a great time.

The best thing I can offer is to take it easy, and don't try to do "everything", because you can't, it's impossible. There is soooo much to do at WDW. Pick a few rides/attractions that look fun to you, and set your course on doing them. Be flexible. If the line seems too long and you don't really want to wait in it, then go find something else, or get a fastpass and go shop or eat or just sit for a while and enjoy the parks, the atmosphere and the people. There's lots to see, so don't rush yourself and miss seing it.

Also, since your on the dining plane, if you haven't done so already make your ADRs (Advanced Dining Reservations (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/pss.asp)) so you don't waste a lot of time waiting to eat. You can find opinions and some reviews in the Dining forum. Just post a question asking for faves. You'll get lots of differing opinions, but in my opinion, there's really nothing bad at Disney.

We've stayed at POP many times and really enjoyed it. But, while you're at WDW, don't hesitate to take some time and go see some of the other resorts. The Boardwalk (http://intercot.com/themeparks/boardwalk/default.asp) area is one of our favorites, and there are some great restaurants there and over at Yacht and Beach Club. You can get there easily by taking a bus to DHS (Disney Hollywood Studios), then catch a ferry boat at the front gates to The Boardwalk. Also, Wilderness Lodge is a great resort to visit, and we love to eat at Whispering Canyon (http://intercot.com/infocentral/dining/menus/resorts/whispering_dinner.asp), which is anything but quiet. ;)

Have fun, enjoy, keep reading and asking questions. People here on Intercot are the friendliest and love to help first-timers.

GAN
05-13-2009, 10:38 AM
I'm not sure if anyone has mentioned this yet, but read up on how the Disney Transportation system works -I believe either the "Unofficial Guide to Disney" or "Passporter" should provide some understanding. It's important because in order to enjoy many of the suggested ideas provided here -you've got to understand how to get to these places. It may be a little overwhelming to the first-timer(and even some of us experienced folks). If you have questions, please ask here ahead of time -this is the place to get the answers.

I believe a few people have mentioned learning how the "Fastpass" system works -this is very important to getting the most out of your vacation. Also, get to the parks at opening on as many days as possible -this will allow you to ride the most popular attractions earlier and have the rest of the day(when it 's hot and crowded) to take your time and enjoy the little things that the parks offer.

Have a great vacation!

Kimmiesue1969
05-15-2009, 01:22 AM
From a fellow Mississippian, You're going to have a great time! Our own disney vacation is in 30 days and my dining room is turning into the "things to take to disney" room. Do you guys drive or fly?:mickey:

We are driving (believe it or not). LoL We plan on stopping at Lambert's restaurant in Alabama (yum yum), then staying overnight in Tallahassee, then hitting the road at 5 am to be at Disney by 10am. We have a plan. HEHE

pandkx3
05-15-2009, 08:47 AM
We are driving (believe it or not). LoL We plan on stopping at Lambert's restaurant in Alabama (yum yum), then staying overnight in Tallahassee, then hitting the road at 5 am to be at Disney by 10am. We have a plan. HEHE

We love Lambert's! We drive as well:eek: There's five of us....it's so much cheaper to drive. Plus, you can bring your "provisions" along for the ride. Last time, we split our trip between 2 days. This time we're going commando style and driving straight thru....:medic:

irish1967
05-18-2009, 07:50 PM
Great suggestions so far! I have a couple more...

1) go through one of the books and make a list of all the attractions that you think would be your top priority for each park and have your DH do the same. Then compare your lists and make any attraction that is on both of your lists a top priority. That way you know what you should plan for/try to do first and won't waste your time on attractions that you both aren't really interested in.

Along the same line of thought - remember that even though it is your "honeymoon" if you each have something on your respective lists that you REALLY want to do that the other doesn't - it is ok to go separate ways for awhile (for example, I don't love Rock N Roller Coaster and my DH doesn't like Tower of Terror. When we went for our anniversary, I rode Tower of Terror while he rode Rock N Roller Coaster.)

2) Make sure to look up and down, not just in front and side to side. Disney is so great on the details that even the ceilings and floors are done right!

3) Try to ride up front in the monorail - it is definitely a view you don't want to miss (just ask a monorail CM at the station if it is possible. Offer to wait if you have the time)

Have a great trip!

Kimmiesue1969
05-19-2009, 12:06 AM
Thanks Irish for the suggestions. I have watched the Disney Planning DVD and been on the disney.com web site and I have every intention of getting DH on every "fun" ride possible. :minnie: If I left the choice of what rides to ride to DH he would choose the Carosel and the Flying Dumbos, and the Magic Carpet ride.:sick: No excitement whatsoever. No offense I am sure they are fun. But I want the scariest rides ever.:coaster: LOL We will see. I am sooo totally excited. Just 54 days to go and we will be at Disney!!!:cloud9: Watch out Mickey here we come!!!!:smickey:

Kimmiesue1969
05-27-2009, 02:29 AM
45 days till disney!!! Woo Hoo!!! Got my bride and groom ears in today, tried them on (laughed our butts off), packed them away for our anniversary trip. I am already packed and ready to go. LoL Nothing like being prepared ya know. I feel like a kid again. This is soooo exciting. I am on cloud nine :cloud9:!!