PDA

View Full Version : a question about shipping cases of water

LoriSan
04-27-2009, 01:15 PM
If I wanted to ship cases of water to myself, do I need to find boxes to put them in? Or can I wrap them in brown paper? or better yet, can I just slap a shipping label on them?

gwfx1031
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
You will need to box them. It would not make the trip without any protection and the shipping companies would not accept alone or in paper. It may be cheaper to get it delivered from a local place than paying for shiping.

KylesMom
04-27-2009, 01:55 PM
Most carriers have specific guidelines when shipping liquids, including the fact that the box must contain some type of liner that will contain all leaks. Here are guidelines from one carrier:

Use double-wall boxes for heavier items.
Position bottles that contain liquids upright. Use an inner seal and perforated breakaway cap. The inner packaging must be able to contain leaks.

As mentioned by gwfx, you won't be able to ship the water in its packaging without protection. With the physical weight of water, I concur that it may be better for you to have it delivered by a local grocery service. Any savings by purchasing in your area and shipping down will most likely be negated once you figure in the shipping costs involved. While I'm a strong advocate of shipping items down, this may not be your best bet for saving money.

LoriSan
04-27-2009, 02:38 PM
thats a bummer. I was checking out Amazon and Garden Grocer, and they charge over $10 for a case of water that I can get on sale for $3.99 :mad:

Leighler
04-27-2009, 02:39 PM
maybe you could even find a website that has "free shipping" sometimes and just buy it from their site and have it shipped to where you're staying. That could be even cheaper than having it delivered...especially if there is sometimes a minimum purchase for delivery plus a delivery fee? Just a thought!

Hull-onian
04-27-2009, 03:48 PM
thats a bummer. I was checking out Amazon and Garden Grocer, and they charge over $10 for a case of water that I can get on sale for $3.99 :mad:

Check out Staples. They deliver.

Wishmaker
04-27-2009, 07:05 PM

But.... a bottle of water is $2.50... You still may save, depending if you are a huge water drinker like myself.

Marilyn Michetti
04-27-2009, 08:58 PM
See, I think this is hilarious. You're spending a fortune on a resort, tickets, and food.
WHY would you go to all the trouble of sending yourself water? :rotfl:

wdwnomad
04-27-2009, 10:21 PM
I've had water delivered from Staples twice. Sign up to be a Staples rewards member prior to doing it. They used to offer free shipping if you order online if you are rewards member but they don't anymore. What you do is go into the store and order it there and have it shipped. I don't know why but when they put in your rewards number there shipping is free. The people that work there look at me strange and tell me they charge for shipping but it always worked. I know people also order water from Costco online and have it shipped. If you aren't a member there is a small upcharge for the water but it is still cheaper than Disney.

The reason I send water to myself is because it is cheaper. If four people drink a bottle of water a day and you are there for 10 days that is $100. Shipping it down to yourself for say $15 saves you $85. To me that is a significant chuck of change. $85 more for water, another $100 for Photopass, bag fees for airlines, etc all start to add up alot of money after paying for your package.

LoriSan
04-28-2009, 10:22 AM
The reason I send water to myself is because it is cheaper. If four people drink a bottle of water a day and you are there for 10 days that is $100. Shipping it down to yourself for say $15 saves you $85. To me that is a significant chuck of change. $85 more for water, another $100 for Photopass, bag fees for airlines, etc all start to add up alot of money after paying for your package.

Absolutely! And since I'm going to be there in the dead of the summer :thedolls:, 6 bottles a person per day is more like it.

I will try the Staples kiosk thing, I already have their rewards card. Thanks!