PDA

View Full Version : What's "real" and what isn't real....

TheVBs
04-26-2009, 06:02 PM
With our trip just a few days away :mickey: , we've been talking a lot about what there is to do and see in WDW. I've found myself in this thorny area with my DD4. She needs to be assured that the ghosts from Haunted Mansion and the pirates from POTC aren't real. But, that led her to ask about whether other things are real, like the princesses. She seemed satisfied with my answers, but I'm worried about it coming up again. I don't want her to think of the characters as just people in costumes and ruin the magic for her, but I also don't want her to be afraid on a ride because she thinks something is real. Have any other parents run into this problem, and how have you handled it?

Madame Leona
04-26-2009, 07:12 PM
Instead of saying "not real" for the ghosts and pirates, I told ds (3) that they are friendly. That helped quite a bit. He even pretends there are ghosts in his room playing with him. He has a very acctive imagination.

Strmchsr
04-26-2009, 07:14 PM
I just tell the truth. It's all pretend. It doesn't ruin the magic for my kids. They get caught up in the pretending and have fun pretending but they know that it is all pretend.

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-26-2009, 09:16 PM
When my nephew was 2.5 and again at 4 we just told him the scary things/people weren't real. He never even questioned the non-scary things/people. I'd just take it as it comes up and gauge what you think will work at that time.

kakn7294
04-26-2009, 10:37 PM
I have to argue with my kids over what's real and what's not. They keep trying to ruin the magic for me by telling me stuff isn't real. I know they are lying...

TheVBs
04-27-2009, 02:21 PM
Thanks for the input! There are some great suggestions here. I'm just hoping it doesn't come up again.

drummerboy
04-27-2009, 05:51 PM
I have to argue with my kids over what's real and what's not. They keep trying to ruin the magic for me by telling me stuff isn't real. I know they are lying...
Kids are the worst spoilers, aren't they? :D

I like the "they're friendly" approach. That way you don't have to deal with the 'real' issue.

marylynne95
04-28-2009, 11:04 AM

I don't have kids, but I argue with other "grown ups" who keep telling me it isn't real. ;)