PDA

View Full Version : do you need a credit card?

wendydarling
04-25-2009, 11:25 PM
my fiance and i are going to disney in a fews weeks and we do not have credit card. we do have a debit card, i was just curious as to if you need to provide this at the time of check-in if your package is already fully paid for? we do not want to have the charge feature on our key card. any help would be great! thanks:mickey:

NotaGeek
04-26-2009, 12:15 AM
:welcome: to INTERCOT! :mickey:

No, you do not need a credit card, you can use your debit card readily through out the park. Without attaching your debit card to your room key you won't be able to charge items to your room key or to your room (room service, internet, etc.) but that's the only difference.

Have fun!

beksy
04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
All I used was my debit card. I linked it to the roomcard instead of carrying it but it worked out fine.

#1donaldfan
04-26-2009, 08:56 AM
.....no you don't need any credit / debit card at all....they make some things simpler, maybe, but they are not a necessity....cash still spends in the U.S., at least I think cash is still good, although it's not worth as much as it used to be....have a great trip and WELCOME to intercot....:thumbsup:

disneymom15
04-26-2009, 10:46 AM
The only thing I would add is, with out leaving a credit card or debit card on file at check in, you will have to physically check out at the end of your trip. If you leave a card number there is no need to go to the front desk, any phone charges etc get charged to your credit card (final bill will be hung on your door on the day you check out). Hope this makes sense.

disneymom15
04-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Sorry, I think they call it Express check out. Makes it a little more convienent. Sometimes the check in/check out line can be a bit long.

wendydarling
04-26-2009, 03:33 PM
thanks! i'm glad to know i don't have to worry about some of our money being tied up being "on hold" at the desk. i would much rather phyisically check out than worry with that! thanks for all the info!

NotaGeek
04-26-2009, 09:49 PM
The only thing I would add is, with out leaving a credit card or debit card on file at check in, you will have to physically check out at the end of your trip. If you leave a card number there is no need to go to the front desk, any phone charges etc get charged to your credit card (final bill will be hung on your door on the day you check out). Hope this makes sense.
Well, technically with no card on file there won't be any room charges to take care of as the front desk won't open up your room key to accept any charges, so express check-out will work just fine.

CleveRocks
04-26-2009, 10:49 PM
By leaving your debit card number on file for Express Check-out, there will be NO HOLD placed on your bank account. None.

It works exactly the same with the room charge. IF you choose to set up a room charge using your debit card, Disney places NO HOLD on that account ... none whatsoever. They "ping" your card, meaning they run through a charge of zero dollars and zero cents to make sure it's a valid card on an active account, but your bank account will be charged NOTHING until you reach the pre-set room charge limit OR you reach your check-out day.

PetefromRI
04-27-2009, 06:41 AM
We also never use CC's or Debits at DW and have never gone to the front desk to check out except on our very first trip before we became seasoned travelers to Disney World.We always just pack our stuff and head to the ME.If you owe them money they'll send you a bill to your residence.With todays cell phones,it's very rare that anyone uses the hotel room phones except to call housekeeping or other services,at least that's the case in our family.

SBETigg
04-27-2009, 07:54 AM
thanks! i'm glad to know i don't have to worry about some of our money being tied up being "on hold" at the desk. i would much rather phyisically check out than worry with that! thanks for all the info!

Even if you used a debit card on file for charges, Disney doesn't place a hold. I know a lot of hotels do, but not Disney.

Hull-onian
04-27-2009, 08:27 AM
This is why we all love Disney.:cloud9:

TheRustyScupper
04-27-2009, 12:25 PM
1) If the vacation is pre-paid, no credit card is needed at check-in.
2) If it is not pre-paid, just pay the balance in cash at check-in.
3) The only thing you need at check-in is a government-issued ID.
. . . driver's license
. . . passport
. . . etc

DANAM
04-27-2009, 08:52 PM
We have always used our debit card for payment of our trip and to charge to our room. Disney has never held money from our card and only charges the card every time you hit the limit set by your resort. At POP it was 500 dollars. If you don't hit the limit your card will not be charged until checkout.

We like to just charge to the room because if someone would get a hold of my actual debit card in Disney it could be a disaster. They would have your actual credit card number and could charge anywhere they wanted on or off property. You would have to go to the hassel of calling the bank, ect. If they get a hold of your room key card they can only charge on Disney property and can't exceed the hotel limit. Plus you can go to any guest services to get that key cancelled and pick up another one. Our debit cards stay in the hotel safe the entire trip.

wendydarling
04-30-2009, 10:18 PM
these have been very helpful! only 10 days until we leave very excited! thanks for all the good advice!!! :wave: