View Full Version : NFL Draft - what suprised you most

gueli
04-25-2009, 09:02 PM
Ok - so which pick suprised you most.

How did your team do ?

What was your favorite draft pick ?

Who do you think did the worst ?

Only time will tell....

But the jets surprised me by moving up to get sanchez.

:mickey:

Ian
04-25-2009, 10:02 PM
I'm excited by our picks. NFL Network said the Eagles got the best value of any team in the first round by taking Maclin at 19. Then we got the running back we were targeting the entire time in the 2nd round in McCoy.

Worst draft by far so far is Denver. Josh McDaniels is clearly a moron.

Spartan_Jeff
04-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Larry English surprised me a little. I thought Maualuga would be taken earlier. I would love to know why he slipped so far.

As a Lions fan, I am very excited about Pettigrew. I can say I called that pick weeks ago, just didn't think they would go offense with the 20 pick.

Jeff G
04-25-2009, 10:40 PM
AS a Packer fan I am pleased with the first day of the draft. In the past few drafts Thompson has traded down. This year the move up to get Mathews at #26 seems to be a smart move. Just a few weeks ago many experts predicted that he would be int the 15-20 range. Combining that pick with Raji at the #9 pick should bolster a reeling defense.

The Pack scored more and had a better offense last year over the year prior but couldn't stop anyone and in many of their losses lost the game in the final quarter when they had the lead.

I would give the Packers first day a solid B+.

kakn7294
04-26-2009, 12:33 AM
I'm excited by our picks. NFL Network said the Eagles got the best value of any team in the first round by taking Maclin at 19. Then we got the running back we were targeting the entire time in the 2nd round in McCoy.

Worst draft by far so far is Denver. Josh McDaniels is clearly a moron.Shady was awesome here at Pitt. I wish him well and hope his career pans out. I do wish (selfishly) that he would have stayed in school longer - we weren't done with him yet!

Ian
04-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Yeah Kathy, if he pans out for us who knows? Maybe I'll become a Pittsburgh guy!

I think the Lions had an outstanding draft so far. They didn't make any goofy picks and have brought in some ballers that should help them immediately. They'll be a much better team next year and two seasons from now, assuming all these guys pan out, they'll compete.

I also agree that the Pack seems to have done well for themselves. Again, no reaches, they took guys at positions of need that were appropriate for where they were selected.

Again, though, the Broncos??? WHAT is Josh McDaniels doing out there?? The guy's clueless!! He alienates his Pro Bowl quarterback, signs three free agent running backs, and then uses the 12th overall pick to draft another one?? Then he trades away next year's #1 pick to move up a couple slots in the 2nd round when other teams were trading 6th round picks to move up a couple slots in the 1st???

Totally inexplicable. If I was Pat Bowlen, I'd be losing sleep thinking, "What is with this madman???"

tjstrike
04-27-2009, 02:09 AM
I was really happy with the Packers draft, of course I was saying "Crabtree, Crabtree, Crabtree" when he was still there at the 9th pick but I know we need a better defense to win.

alphamommy
04-27-2009, 09:58 AM
Nothing the Lions did surprised me, which is sort of sad.

I'm not saying that Stafford is a bad pick, but we've had such bad luck drafting QBs that I wish they would have picked up what we really need, which is defense and o-line. ESPN was running a poll at one point asking who would pass for more TDs next season, Stafford or Sanchez. I told DH it would be Sanchez because Stafford will spend most of his time on his back after being sacked.

I feel like we drafted Joey Harrington all over again. :rolleyes:

Toughbug
04-27-2009, 10:26 PM
I have to admit that the Packers did the best job in the first round getting help for their 3-4 conversion. Philly did pretty good too, I liked Maclin over the Raiders pick, they did the worst job.

But the best is the new MJ, Malcolm Jenkins going to my Saints. Upgraded the secondary, plus with Sharper and Greer and Porter and Gay and the Gregg Williams coordinating things, the Super Bowl can't be far off.

We can dream can't we.

:thumbsup:

Pagan
04-28-2009, 09:33 AM
Happy that Tuna went for DB help. We sorely needed that.

Most surprised at the Jets trading away half their picks for a QB that has only started 16 games, and a RB when they already have two good ones and are in dire need of WRs.

Then again, it's the Jets. :razz:

Ian
04-28-2009, 10:10 AM
Yeah ... with an average 50% bust rate in 1st round quarterbacks, I think I'd have a tough time parting with all that to move up and take a quarterback.

But I guess they were desperate. I dunno.

What I find more mystifying is that Denver didn't move up to take him and instead drafted a running back when they just signed three as free agents. :confused:

Pagan
04-28-2009, 11:24 AM
Not as bad, but it reminded me of Ditka trading away the entire draft to pick Ricky Williams.

barnaby
04-28-2009, 12:25 PM
That the Eagles didn't take a lineman in the first or second round.
That the Eagles didn't trade out of the 1st or 2nd round.
That the Eagles actually drafted needs like WR Maclin and RB McCoy.

gueli
04-29-2009, 01:42 AM
3 picks for the jets.
that is it.

1 QB, wom everyone is enamored with, a RB and on o lineman...

Even if one gets cut, does that make it a bad draft for tannenbaum?
Of course, now that the draft is over it is reported that we talked with plaxico burres' agent about availability.
sigh.

Personally, I was hopeing that we would leave the qb situation alone, concentrate on D, and have a limited, but hopefully effective offense...Nah why would we do that...
:mickey:

gueli
04-29-2009, 01:45 AM
Yeah ... with an average 50% bust rate in 1st round quarterbacks, I think I'd have a tough time parting with all that to move up and take a quarterback.

But I guess they were desperate. I dunno.

Yeah, Just wondering what the record (recently) on QB's in the 1st from USC ?
And as far as desperate- they still have a lot of PSL's to sell

Ian
04-29-2009, 07:26 AM
Well I more meant desperate for a starting QB, but ... PSL's count, too.

In regards to QB's from USC, as far as I can tell in the decade prior to this draft only two QB's from USC were selected in the 1st round.

Matt Leinart and Carson Palmer. So again ... 50/50 ...

Missy_Mouses_Dad
05-06-2009, 01:13 PM
I am very pleased with the Packs first round picks. Thompson surprised me by trading up for Matthews. For some reason he has always liked multiple picks in later rounds.

The defense could be exciting. I am very upset that Favre is talking with the Vikings this week. I heard on Sports radio that he wants to come back to break Jim Marshall's consecutive game streak.