PDA

View Full Version : Do you still use the park maps?

luvDaMouse
04-25-2009, 10:10 AM
I was just sitting here thinking, I got my custom park maps in the mail (they are great) but I am not taking them with me. How many of you need a park map? I could walk through the Magic kindom with my eyes closed. My next park that I can do in my sleep is Epcot, then DHS. AK I still need a map as I get turned around a bit ( it is so big and spread out) I am getting better each year that I go and I don't always pull my map out but I still take one just in case.
just wondering, do you still take the maps even if you don't use them?:mickey:
17 days till I am back to my "happy place":yay:

Cinderella's Lady in Waiting
04-25-2009, 10:20 AM
Magic Kingdom and EPCOT are no map parks:). However, Animal Kingdom and MGM always get us turned around...maps are a necessity:blush:

E-Ticket4
04-25-2009, 10:23 AM
No maps for us. Even my 14 and 11 yr old didnt when they went off on their own. We do use the schedule so we know when shows and parades are.

buzznwoodysmom
04-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Nope, no maps for us either. Its been a few years since we've needed a map. Its so nice to know the parks well enough not to need the maps.

DNS
04-25-2009, 10:30 AM
No maps for us either. I can't remember the last time we used them.

disneymom15
04-25-2009, 10:50 AM
We don't use the maps either.

Daisy'sMom
04-25-2009, 10:52 AM
We haven't used maps for years, but we always get a guide. :mickey:

deedeebee
04-25-2009, 11:45 AM
Magic Kingdom and EPCOT are no map parks:). However, Animal Kingdom and MGM always get us turned around...maps are a necessity:blush:

Us also.

Pop Centurion
04-25-2009, 11:57 AM
We don't use them either unless we're in a certain part of the parks where we're unsure where the restrooms are and need to go.

iheartdisney
04-25-2009, 12:11 PM
The only time we "use" maps is when we need to distract the boys into thinking they're helping us find things. It's the best way to stave off the "I'm hot" and "I'm hungry" whines.

EpcotFan182
04-25-2009, 12:30 PM
I don't use maps for MK and Epcot. For MGM and AK, I can make it through for the most part w/o a map, but sometimes I get stuck and need to use one.

PixieMagic
04-25-2009, 12:36 PM
No maps here! Although we did have to look at the huge map at TL when we went there....

dream6
04-25-2009, 12:44 PM
Nope, no more park maps. I do bring them back home with me though :blush: I'm not really sure why because I never use them for anything. We do grab schedules though for shows and parades.

marylynne95
04-25-2009, 01:43 PM
No maps, just schedules! :mickey:

DawsonAR
04-25-2009, 02:01 PM
No maps here.

rubato
04-25-2009, 02:12 PM
I still need them. We've only been twice and only once to AK. However, once we're there for awhile, we stop using them.

joanna71985
04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
Nope. I pretty much know the parks like the back of my hand. However, I do still use the Times Guides for the show/parade times.

Zawadi
04-25-2009, 02:21 PM
No maps, just show / parade schedules.
I wish they would replicate the wait time boards in other corners of the parks.

sleepingbooty
04-25-2009, 02:28 PM
I don't use maps for MK and Epcot. For MGM and AK, I can make it through for the most part w/o a map, but sometimes I get stuck and need to use one.

Same here:thumbsup:

TheDuckRocks
04-25-2009, 03:01 PM
I just realized that the last trip down we didn't use our maps at all! But I will still be carrying one with me.:blush: I would hate to take a wrong turn and end up in Universal!

Dopey's Girl
04-25-2009, 03:24 PM
I usually get a times guide for shows and parades, but no maps needed for me.

I do usually pick up one from each park on the way out for the scrapbook though!

Figment78
04-25-2009, 04:24 PM
I still use one in Animal Kingdom for bathrooms mainly, as I've been there far less than the other three parks. However, I always take them.I like to look at them back in the hotel room (did this, didn't do that yet, etc) plus to show to others who are not as familiar. Then I always take them home and put them in my memorabilia box (my equivalent of a scrapbook). It's cool to see how the parks have changed over the years.

This year, we needed them, since we had a little one with us for the first time and needed to know where the baby centers were and some rides that we were never on (like the entire Toon Town part of MK).

My favorite "map" thing is when I will pull out a jacket that I wore last trip and there is still a park map in a pocket. Or in the camera bag. Or the suitcase. A little magical surprise!

iheartdisney
04-25-2009, 04:34 PM
My favorite "map" thing is when I will pull out a jacket that I wore last trip and there is still a park map in a pocket. Or in the camera bag. Or the suitcase. A little magical surprise!

This just happened to me the other day when I cleaning out our video camera case. I pulled out a map from Animal Kingdom the year it opened in 1998, I believe. It was so cool to see how things have evolved!

Captain_Nemo
04-25-2009, 05:21 PM
I got it all in my head :) Mouse GPS

DisneyAggies
04-25-2009, 05:53 PM
Nope, no maps. We usually pick up a times guide on the way in and I take home the maps from check in home--never even cracked open.

AdventurerKim
04-25-2009, 06:16 PM
No maps necessary here, except for AK since we rarely go there. We only get the times guides for parades and other shows and events.

beksy
04-26-2009, 12:03 AM
We always get them and carry them around but don't use them unless my "wonderful" sense of direction gets us turned around (I could get lost in my house!).

Crow
04-26-2009, 02:25 AM
nope i didnt use them last wk...nephews first trip but i knew my way around

katzctkpt
04-26-2009, 08:30 AM
......we don't really need them, but I usually carry them around and check off what we've done.....I've done this since day one, and continue to do so...it just feels natural to do this....oh, yeah I forgot, sometimes I may peek at it for bathroom locations...just last NYE we found one that we had no idea was there, using the park map....:mickey:

Yvette
04-26-2009, 08:33 AM
So funny you ask this!!

Our customized maps just came yesterday and we oohhd and ahhhd over them...counting the days till we're there. 28!!!! :party:

Then we put them away. We really don't use them: just drool on them, dream about them.....

We only need the show schedule first thing and then we're off. :mickey:

hokies4life
04-26-2009, 08:39 AM
I don't usually need to use them, but this last trip we at least had them with us since I hadn't been in 2 years and my bf hadn't been since 2000 i think. Mostly to make sure we got to every ride since there were some new things we wanted to make sure we didn't forget about. That, and they were helpful for bathroom locations in the parks. I know where most of them are but sometimes there's a closer one that you don't know about.

:chipdale:

#1donaldfan
04-26-2009, 08:42 AM
Our custom maps, well one of 'em anyway, is in a frame on display....I made the frame out of real, real old worn wood, it turned out great....I got my inspiration from the frames at Splash Mountain....thats exactly what it looks like...

.....we don't use park maps anymore, but we pick them up and sometimes refer to them for restrooms....:mickey:

handmaidenofprincesses
04-26-2009, 09:31 AM
I don't need them (I know WDW better than my own neighborhood, and the sad thing is, I'm not kidding...) but I always bring one home with me. I have a catalogue of them, at least one from each year that I've been, just because they're fun to look at. That being said, I do occasionally need one for DAK; but when I do use it, it's in French. That way it feels like at least a little bit more of a challenge. Of course, I suppose getting a map in Japanese or something would be the true test, but I would end up confused :blush:

WDW_Obsessed
04-26-2009, 09:35 AM
It's been a few years since we've used a map at the parks, but we do grab a time schedule. However, our next trip will be with a baby :cloud9:, so I suppose we will use one or a while to find the baby centers :thumbsup:

IamBelle
04-26-2009, 09:58 AM
For us, MK and EPCOT need no maps, but DHS and AK we do.

PirateLover
04-26-2009, 10:52 AM
We got the custom maps, but didn't actually bring them. My fiancee always grabs maps and show time pamphlets. Even though we don't necessarily NEED the maps to navigate, sometimes it's just nice to sit down, open up the map, and get your bearings and plan the rest of your day.

CuteAsMinnie
04-26-2009, 12:19 PM
No maps for us!!!!! We're experts (self-proclaimed of course):blush:

Curious tho...wat is a "custom map" that you can get in the mail????

:mickey:

kakn7294
04-26-2009, 12:47 PM
Out of habit, I always pick up a new map when I get a times guide. In the past, when my bag has been big enough, I've carried a map although we never use it. This year, I gave them to a friend at work to give to his son. They are planning a trip in early June and his son was so excited to get them. I think I'm going to continue to bring them home so I have some to pass out to friends when they are going.

Polynesian Dweller
04-26-2009, 04:42 PM
Haven't used maps in years. Once you've learned the general lay out of the parks you can find anything that's new easily enough.

forever a child
04-26-2009, 04:48 PM
It's been 3 years, so we are taking the maps. Guess we will see if we need them. DD is a map addict, she loves them where ever she goes so the personalized maps will be her thing!:D

zebradome17
04-26-2009, 04:51 PM
We don't need the maps but I like to have one just in case. However, at the end of my stay I will always get a map for each attraction and take them home just to remind me what they were like that year.

DANAM
04-26-2009, 05:59 PM
We use them but don't really need them. The kids like to have them and I will also number what where doing for the day based on our excel itenerary. Plus it gives me a good idea how much walking we will be doing for the day. Although, I must admit that I put so much work into the itenerary that I really don't have to look at it.

Giggy
04-26-2009, 07:06 PM
I'll admit that we use the maps for all of the parks. In our defence though we have done 3 trips to WDW so haven't had a chance to learn the layout of the parks. Admittedly for a trip to Orlando we spend a full 2 weeks so do go to each park several times in that time. I think the maps are kept as souveneirs in the same place we keep the ride photos. I must find out where that is. :mickey:

Mousemates
04-27-2009, 08:44 AM
by force of habit we pick up a park map each morning, fold it in half put it in my pocket and then (generally speaking) leave it there until we return to our room late that night.

Mickey91
04-27-2009, 08:47 AM
We use them as a guide to what we haven't ridden yet today. Plus we just love to look at them!:mickey:

TikiLounger
04-27-2009, 08:55 AM
We still need to use the map at DHS. We were fine until Toy Story Mania was added. Now? We're always a bit confused trying to get to TSM from the Pizza Planet area. :shrug:

Charlee
04-27-2009, 09:19 AM
I still always pick up a map and use them - I know the general layout of each park and know which way we're heading but my sense of direction can be a little off so a map is needed! :blush:
Plus you can sit down and check which attractions you've done and discuss over lunch where you're going next!

Daddy Mouse
04-27-2009, 09:28 AM
I still use a map for AK. The other information is also handy like show times etc...

I'm waiting for the Disney to come out with a DGPS (Disney Global Park Satellite) like Tom Tom or Garmen. I would bet some people would still get turned around.

JPL
04-27-2009, 10:12 AM
They still make park Maps:confused:

MMFreak
04-27-2009, 11:21 AM
We don't use the maps anymore either but my husband out of habit I guess always grabs one when we enter the park. He then looks at it for a few minutes folds it and puts it in his pocket (shrug). he of course ends up packing it in his luggage and I end up throwing it away once we get home. We have the customized maps as well, but we never used them never even brought them with us. They are just very nice maps to look at.

Diz-Knee
04-27-2009, 11:43 AM
Though we know how to get around the parks, we still pick up a map at each location for show-times and also to know about counter-service and snack locations. I also don't know all the restroom locations at AK and DHS.

Suz36
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
We took our 3rd trip in February, and this was one fact that I was very proud of - we no longer needed maps! We still had them to entertain the kids, but didn't need them! I feel like I'm party of the Disney family now - it's my second home!

cinderella crazy
04-27-2009, 12:26 PM
We don't use maps either. We did have to break down the last time we went and look at an Epcot one. We had no idea where the Baby Station was. DH always gets one from each park just as a souvenir.

brownie
04-27-2009, 08:45 PM
Not really. They've helped to find nearby bathrooms on the last couple trips we took. It's been a few years, though, so I might need to use maps more on our next trip.

Iteachpc
04-27-2009, 11:14 PM
We always pick them up (one for everyone because NOBODY likes to share...LOL). We don't need them for any park but AK since we haven't been there as much. I guess I'll need one to find TSM this time though since it's a new ride!

MaxPower
04-29-2009, 07:14 PM
I wish they would put two things on the park maps:

The current menu and prices for each restaurant on the map.

Locations of food carts and what each sells.

Soul_Power
04-29-2009, 10:32 PM
I definitely need park maps for all of the parks! Hopefully I could get to the point (like many of you) where I don't need them, but after having only one trip to WDW under my belt, you'll see me with my nose in the maps! :mickey:

thejens
04-29-2009, 11:32 PM
I still like the security of the maps now and then, but in DHS I need a GPS. Does anyone else find that layout counter-intuitive?! Not to mention the desperate need for schedules there! I do find that I know how to find my favorite spots in all the parks!

ASweetLov
04-30-2009, 12:39 AM
I have only been twice so I still need the maps on most ocassions, they are nice to bring home too :)

Earnhardt321
04-30-2009, 06:03 AM
You got me thinking. No we don't use maps but I do grab one when I get to every park and end up putting it in my bag. They are great for scrapbooking when I get home!

joonyer
04-30-2009, 11:44 AM
We pretty much have the parks memorized as far as paths and attraction locations, but I usually carry one and consult it to find the nearest restroom on occasion.

Hull-onian
04-30-2009, 12:41 PM
No maps here. Just show schedules.:mickey:

CU Tiger
04-30-2009, 01:55 PM
I can draw the park maps in my mind. I cannot tell you the last time I even looked at one of those maps.:mickey:

homeschool mom
04-30-2009, 04:35 PM
We get maps on every trip, BUT it's not because we need to know locations of anything (except maybe bathrooms at AK and DHS). We use our maps to keep track of what we have done each day. They become our journal. Myself or oldest DD always gets a map, writes the date and time we arrive at a specific park on the front of the map and then write numbers beside the attractions in the order we go to them. For example, from the trip DH and I took last week, I have a map of MK and on the front is written 4/18, 10:30 (our arrival time at MK) and there is a number 1 beside Space Mtn. along with a note that we got our FP for SM the first thing on 4/18. We rode it much later in the day so it has another circled number and the time we wrode it. When we leave the park, I put the time of our departure on the front of the map.
This may seem like a lot to some people, but when it comes time to journal about our trip or scrapbook it, my older brain can't remember details. I just pull out the trip maps and everything is there. We have done this for several trips now and it works great for us. :number1:

AllyMonkey
05-04-2009, 07:08 PM
I don't actually need the maps any longer to find my way around, but now I pick up the maps in a foreign language. My niece and nephew were amazed that I could still point to the right place on the map (and find my way there) when it wasn't in English.

LudwigVonDrake
05-04-2009, 07:58 PM
No maps for a loooooooong time now :mickey:

dteed
05-04-2009, 09:53 PM
We go 2 to 4 times a year and know the parks very well but I always grab a map and times guide. I take themfrom the lobby upon arrival to glance over in the room.

DizNee143
05-05-2009, 09:24 AM
i always take a map each visit we are there..but i never use them...expect in AK..we rarely go to that park..so when we do go i have no idea where anything is..:mickey:

yjgirl32
05-05-2009, 10:16 AM
I am still new to Disney and still need to use the maps. Plus I also scrapbook and add them to my books when I get home. It's nice to look back and see how the parks have changed. I order the custom maps once I get home and my son & I sit down and he tells me all the places/rides he liked best.

syndrome
05-05-2009, 11:36 AM
We always get a map b/c my DS7 loves to look at it when we are in line, taking a break, or eating. He likes to look at everything that we have done and everything that we are going to do. We don't need them to find our way around but it just adds to the experience.

g8rgirl29
05-05-2009, 11:54 AM
Ok, I now feel like a total Disney Nerd!! I laminated park maps that I found online before we left 2 years ago (they can be used for a couple of years, saving a tree and all) and put them on a clip to hang off the stroller!! Buzz Lightyear loved them and couldn't stop playing with them last year. He gave us a 2 thumbs up!! My young child can play with the map all she wants without tearing it up. We don't really need the maps except for where is the closest bathroom or nearest quick serve restaurant. They are like a security blanket to me.

Mushu11756
05-05-2009, 12:04 PM
I don't need a map either for MK or Epcot but I always seem to grab one anyway out of habit! The other parks I still use them from time to time especially for potty breaks! :secret:

grumpyguy
05-05-2009, 12:11 PM
we still use the maps,mainly as a check list,making sure we've done everything we want.
i usally get one to fold and keep in my velcro pocket and then one to keep.:thumbsup:

CanadianWDWFan
05-05-2009, 12:25 PM
Our DS5 tells us where EVERYTHING is!:D No need for a map with him on tow.

4ubie1
05-05-2009, 01:02 PM
I honestly don't use the maps very often in WDW. I love to just roam around and see what there is. If there is a certain place I need to be or a certain ride I want to check out, then I locate it on the maps. Otherwise, I like to be able to just wander around...enjoying my time there :cloud9:

Lisaj13
05-05-2009, 01:46 PM
Last time we were at WDW we got into the habit of my youngest being "mapped". Whenever she was being silly she got whacked with a map over the head, which she found hilarious. Think Gilligan and Skipper.

And I can't go to the parks often enough to memorize anything. I have a terrible memory (or forgettery as my kids say), so memorizing locations is impossible.

Even with a map I can get lost. Trying to function without it is unthinkable!

BluewaterBrad
05-05-2009, 03:46 PM
We always get one,but we dont always use it!! Need a times guide though!!:mickey:

handmaidenofprincesses
05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I still like the security of the maps now and then, but in DHS I need a GPS. Does anyone else find that layout counter-intuitive?! Not to mention the desperate need for schedules there! I do find that I know how to find my favorite spots in all the parks!

I believe I read somewhere that the setup of DHS is because, when it was opened, it was a functioning film studio. The layout which tourists find so irritating was designed specifically to make it easy for CMs to block off sections of the park at a time, in case of filming.

PrettyMinnie
05-06-2009, 04:56 PM
I believe I read somewhere that the setup of DHS is because, when it was opened, it was a functioning film studio. The layout which tourists find so irritating was designed specifically to make it easy for CMs to block off sections of the park at a time, in case of filming.

That's really interesting and it does make sense.

merlinmagic4
05-06-2009, 05:02 PM
Ok, I now feel like a total Disney Nerd!! I laminated park maps that I found online before we left 2 years ago (they can be used for a couple of years, saving a tree and all) and put them on a clip to hang off the stroller!! Buzz Lightyear loved them and couldn't stop playing with them last year. He gave us a 2 thumbs up!! My young child can play with the map all she wants without tearing it up. We don't really need the maps except for where is the closest bathroom or nearest quick serve restaurant. They are like a security blanket to me.

That's actually a really great tip/idea, especially for new people. Will Disney send maps to people ahead of time if they call and request them?

g8rgirl29
05-06-2009, 06:10 PM
That's actually a really great tip/idea, especially for new people. Will Disney send maps to people ahead of time if they call and request them?

I am not sure if they will send them or not but if you do a google search for WDW maps you will find a few links so that you can print up and laminate.