PDA

View Full Version : 1st day plan dumped :( - :)

spoiledraf
04-22-2009, 07:55 PM
Well, due to Airtran changeing our flight time, Day number one will have to be a relaxation event. We weren't going to get there too early as it was, but a two hour plus change in departure time pretty much makes hitting the parks a bad idea.

We now don't get to Orlando until 2:30. By the time we catch ME and get checked in, I'm guessing it will be 4:30. With three little ones under four, in a group of nine, I'm thinking it will be too hard without good naps to do anything day one.

New plan, check in at the BC, wander on over to ESPN, (We're kind of a bar crowd, since DDinlaws dad owns one) get some eats where likely whiney, noisy, tired kids won't be a big deal. If anyone is up to it, hit the pool for a while, Beaches and Cream for a little nightcap dessert and try to get all the little ones in bed early so we can hi MK for EMH on Tuesday.
That will be a long day anyway as we plan on a mid day break, then back to Narcooses for an anniversary dinner for all, our 35th, and both our kids are in June. Then off to MK for the light parade and fireworks. :mickey:

Opinions??

Beast_fanatic
04-22-2009, 09:14 PM
Sounds like a good plan to me. I rarely plan too much on the first day as you never know when you'll have an airline delay, etc.

PixieMagic
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
Sounds like a good plan - although have you tried calling airtran?? Last time we used them (2006) they changed are flight time three times before our date - I called about three times and eventually got someone who cared and changed our flights at no cost so we ended up getting there 1/2 hour after our original arrival time....just a thought.....and on a side note - I will NEVER use air tran again

tinksmom02
04-22-2009, 10:39 PM
Sounds like a good plan - although have you tried calling airtran?? Last time we used them (2006) they changed are flight time three times before our date - I called about three times and eventually got someone who cared and changed our flights at no cost so we ended up getting there 1/2 hour after our original arrival time....just a thought.....and on a side note - I will NEVER use air tran again

Argh, I don't want to hear that, we just booked them for Sept. :( Hopefully we won't have scheduling problems. :fingers:

marlaine
04-23-2009, 01:02 AM
This will be the third year we're using AirTran. The first year was fine, but last year they changed our flight 3 times. Once they changed us from a non-stop to 2 stops. I cried. I did the same thing and kept calling, and finally got a flight straight through with only a slight time change. I was seriously on pins and needles for 3 months, until we were in the airport and I saw our flight listed on the departure board. I had honestly forgotten about that terrible feeling until this was brought up on this board. We're using them again in Sept. I hope-hope-hope things will be okay this year.
Just keep trying to call until you get something acceptable.
Does anyone know why they change their flights all the time?

playdead88
04-23-2009, 05:56 AM
this is why we are driving for the 1st time ever - the last two years we have had a day shaved off our vacation due to the airlines - we lost the 1st day one year due to a schedule change and last year we lost the last day due to a schedule change - so in 30 days we are packing up the family truckster and the griswolds are headin' to disney world :mickey:

spoiledraf
04-23-2009, 06:28 AM
None of the other flights available will get us there much earlier and they involve stops and very early departures, before 6 am, something we are trying to avoid with little ones. Looking for a silver lining, I guess it may be easier on all of us not having to get up early, after what is almost always a late night doing final packing. Plus with the 7 for 4 deal, we'll be there longer than our usual four days so we can make up a little time we lost.

Wishmaker
04-23-2009, 06:55 AM

Just a thought... I think it is all airlines in general. A friend of mine isn't going until the fall. He is flying American, his flight has changed three times already. We are going Airtran in May. This paticular flight was the only direct. We booked it months ago and it has only changed once. The change is a bit of a pain, but nothing I would throw out the whole airline for. Just a thought :mickey:

Happy vacation

sainter
04-23-2009, 06:57 AM
New plan, check in at the BC, wander on over to ESPN, (We're kind of a bar crowd, since DDinlaws dad owns one) get some eats where likely whiney, noisy, tired kids won't be a big deal. If anyone is up to it, hit the pool for a while, Beaches and Cream for a little nightcap dessert and try to get all the little ones in bed early so we can hi MK for EMH on Tuesday.
That will be a long day anyway as we plan on a mid day break, then back to Narcooses for an anniversary dinner for all, our 35th, and both our kids are in June. Then off to MK for the light parade and fireworks. :mickey:
Opinions??
This actually sounds IDEAL to me! I love the idea of settling in and doing some easy, casual things the first day, then an early start the next day. Probably because I never get any sleep the night befoe we leave no matter what time the flight!

scootch713
04-23-2009, 08:34 AM
If they change your time, they willl also let you change for free to the previous evening??? any chance it is worth it to add another night to your trip?

gaffz70
04-23-2009, 08:35 AM
We had our flight changed before as well, but I told the airline that the later time they were giving us would not work as we had a reception to get to...they were very accommodating and put us on an earlier flight...I'm hoping for the same this year so we can leave the night before!!!

MOJoe
04-23-2009, 12:38 PM
Spoiledraf,

Our June Airtran flights were also changed. To a much later arrival. I called WDW Travel and got them changed, but then Airtran changed them again. We now have a lengthy layover at ATL. Oh well.....what can ya do?

By the way, we will be at the BC June 6th - 13th. Not for the pool really, but because it is the closest resort to the Rose & Crown and ESPN Club. :blush: When is your group of bar lovers going to be there?

WIMickeymommy
04-23-2009, 01:40 PM
As posted above, I would call Airtran and talk to someone. We had booked a nonstop flight in the beginning and they added a layover to our flight for May. After calling them, they put us on a different flight for no additional charge. The flight was actually better than the origional.

Gregandmel
04-23-2009, 03:20 PM
I think your plan sounds just fine! I know a lot of people LOVE hitting the parks as soon as they arrive, but I know that for US, we make our arrival day JUST THAT - we arrive, swim, take in the resort sights & sounds, plan a nice early dinner, then hit the beds around 8:30pm. It's a long day anyways with getting up early to get the flights, then doing ME, etc.... It's just better for us to let the day unfold. You'll have a great time, and you'll be ready to hit the parks in the morning!! :mickey:

spoiledraf
04-23-2009, 09:59 PM
If they change your time, they willl also let you change for free to the previous evening??? any chance it is worth it to add another night to your trip?

No, unfortunately we can't leave until Monday due to a grad party for our niece Sunday afternoon. She's a special needs young lady and this is a big deal.
I checked all the other available frights and nothing else is direct unless you leave at 5 AM. I think not. ;)

Spoiledraf,

Our June Airtran flights were also changed. To a much later arrival. I called WDW Travel and got them changed, but then Airtran changed them again. We now have a lengthy layover at ATL. Oh well.....what can ya do?

By the way, we will be at the BC June 6th - 13th. Not for the pool really, but because it is the closest resort to the Rose & Crown and ESPN Club. :blush: When is your group of bar lovers going to be there?

We'll be there the 8th through the 14th. I'll be the one pulling my hair out trying to get 9 people moving to make ADRs! :marg: I think the younger ones would be happy eating at bars all week! :D But Nana plans on some real nice dinners to celbrate our 35th anniversary.

By the way, they also have changed our return flight, which connects through Atlanta and our lay over was cut to 32 minutes. We could have taken a direct flight but it left at like 11 am. This one doesn't leave until 6:30 so we get like an extra half a day to hit DTD. Plus my DD lives in Atl. so we are going half way home with them. A couple more hours before I have to give up my grandson for a few more months.

MOJoe
04-24-2009, 09:30 AM
I checked all the other available frights ....

Is this a deliberate misspelling? Or just a knock against Airtran?

We'll be there the 8th through the 14th. I'll be the one pulling my hair out trying to get 9 people moving to make ADRs! :marg:

I'll be the one with a black Star Wars Weekends or white Intercot baseball cap, and a :beer: look on my face. See ya there!
:beer: = happy

Nini5055
04-24-2009, 10:47 AM
I'm sorry to hear about your flight change. But I hear often that AirTran does this. To me, they just seem to do a LOT of the old bait and switch on people with flights.:confused:

I much prefer Southwest and have never had an issue with boarding or flights being changed. They are always on time too! But that is just my experience. :thumbsup:

To me, AirTran is not worth the few extra dollars saved...it is made up in aggravation, worry and time needed to call the airline and get the flight changed to something more acceptable.:(

Good Luck...I hope you get the flight times you want. :mickey:

i'm grumpy
04-27-2009, 09:07 PM
How annoying!! We usually fly SW, but that airport is 6 hours round trip. So I searched and searched for other airports. The prices were up and down constantly. They leave at the crack of dawn and take all day to get there. Nothing non-stop. Then they want you to return at 6am! :(

sainter
04-28-2009, 07:58 AM
Tinksmom02, I really wouldn't worry too much about flights. If you would do a search on the Intercot threads you will find complaints about flight changes on almost every airline! (Except SW). Anyway, there isn't much that can be done but check your flight schedule now and then. Concentrate on planning the rest of your wonderful trip! :mickey:

SBETigg
04-28-2009, 08:03 AM
Sounds like a nice first day! I like that plan. Enjoy!