PDA

View Full Version : Car rental

princess0511
04-22-2009, 02:09 PM
We usually rent from Alamo, but it seems a bit expensive this year. We do like the ease of having the rental on site at the airport. What other rental companies our onsite at the airport? We do not want to have to take a shuttle to get our car since we are traveling with a baby. Thanks!!:mickey:

Disney Buff
04-22-2009, 02:17 PM
Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, EZ Rent, National, Budget and Avis. All are in terminal w/no shuttles.

KLud
04-22-2009, 02:22 PM
We're renting from E-Z Rent a Car. They're in the terminal according to their website. The prices were hard to beat comparing them to the big name companies.

This is my first time using them. Anyone else use E-Z?

KylesMom
04-22-2009, 02:38 PM
We always rent from National. They're very convenient & we've never had a problem with their vehicles.

Note that many folks have reported higher rental rates this season. It appears that the rental cars have lowered their inventories and in turn are charging higher rental rates.

Ksmith75
04-22-2009, 02:41 PM
We are renting from National - we have a 9 day rental for $268.00. Last year we had Avis and only paid $147!!! for the same amount of time. $268.00 looks cheap now compared to other companies....but I sure do miss the $147.00 rental....:)

E-OR
04-22-2009, 06:57 PM
We always rent from National. I have found that checking the rates everyday can save you a lot. We started out with a rate of 370.00 for a 6 day rental the first week of May and now we are down to 190.00 for a mid size car. We will be renting two cars in September. I applied for an Emerald club Card from National that gives you a pretty good discount. Anyone can get the card and it stays active as long as you rent from National at least once a year. We like being able to go right to the Emerald Isle and not going to the desk to get our car. I aslo got an Entertainment Book for 15.00 and can use a coupon for 1 day free rental (about 30.00) from it. Just a few ideas to save a little money.

sainter
04-23-2009, 07:16 AM
We're renting from E-Z Rent a Car. They're in the terminal according to their website. The prices were hard to beat comparing them to the big name companies.

EZ used to be called something else, can't remember the name right now--anyhoo, we never had a problem and the price was always right! An added bonus was there was never a line at their counter - though I know you don't need to go to the counter at many companies now-a-days.

DisneyAndRedSox
04-23-2009, 08:14 AM
I keep watching Orbitz everyday just to get an idea if anyone is running any specials.

I hit it big on Monday, it showed National was running SUV's and MiniVans for the same price as a compact, midsize and full size car. I was shocked since I always make out better at their sister company, Alamo. I went to National's website so I could enter the AAA contract ID and an Entertainment book coupon, and got a MiniVan for under $300 with taxes and fees for 9 days. Later that day the price went back up to over $650 for the same rental. Just keep looking and looking, I find the prices change constantly. If you find something book it... you can typically cancel w/o penalty if you fnd a better deal!

Edit- {site removed per Terms of Service} there is the Coscto Contract ID for National. Price is slightly higher than the AAA rate but it gives you a second driver at no extra charge. Also, the entertainment book coupons have an expiration date mid-2010... best I have seen!

DisneyAndRedSox
04-23-2009, 08:19 AM
EZ used to be called something else, can't remember the name right now.

Is that the old L & M car rental?

Beast_fanatic
04-23-2009, 09:33 AM
Is that the old L & M car rental?

Yes

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-24-2009, 11:12 PM
You can also sign up for National's Emerald Aisle for free on occasion. And there's another website that will give you discount codes to try to get the best deal. PM me if you don't know it.

jcvalenti
04-25-2009, 09:48 AM

I've used E-Z twice, once in 2004 and once in 2005. The first time, there were no issues - we rented a full-sized and it was at the airport waiting for us. The car was decent, but not quite as nice or as new as most of rentals I get from the big chains. It was okay, though, and their price was by far the best.

The second time was a disaster. We were going down for a long weekend with some friends, and we each had smaller children ... so we rented a minivan. They were twice as cheap as the next closest rental place, so we went with them ... but when we got there, there were no vans left ! We were irate. They wouldn't give us two full sized cars for the same rental place and we got stuck spending about 2 hours at the terminal arguing about it. They finally located an extra minivan out at their other location (about 15 minutes from the airport) and we had to take a shuttle to go get it. It was a terrible start to the vacation, and as a result, I've never used them again. I usually go with Alamo or National.

TiggeRia
04-27-2009, 09:33 PM
Thrifty, Alamo, Dollar, EZ Rent, National, Budget and Avis. All are in terminal w/no shuttles.

Thrifty is not on site--I thought it was and I rented from them last week because they had the best deal--mid size SUV for 7 days for $275 total. However, we had to take a shuttle to get to the rental center. It was an easy process, but it certainly would have been easier if it was on site.

doodleboy
04-27-2009, 09:58 PM
I originally had a full size SUV booked for 11 days in May for $636 with taxes and fees with National. I am Emerald Isle Club member with them and like the ease of picking up and dropping off. I kept checking rates and they just kept going up instead of down as May got closer. I decided to go to hotwire and was quoted a full size SUV for $431 for 11 days. It stated that the car and counter were in MCO, so I ran with it and it ended up being National after I paid with credit card. I called National to see if they would have given me that rate if I went directly through them and they would only drop the price to $606. Not sure how this all works, but I am happy with the price I got for 11 day rental.