PDA

View Full Version : Packing tip for kids but you'll probably think I'm crazy

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-22-2009, 10:16 AM
Just wanted to share this tip for people with small children. We went last year and it worked great.
When I packed their cloths ages 2,3, and 4 I put matching shorts and tops together on one childrens hanger (the ones with the clips on them) that way when I got to the resort I just had to hang them up and anyone could grab a hanger and the kids were ready to go! It also saved unpacking because I just had to hang them up and not fold in drawers.
Just thought I'd share:thumbsup:

goofysbabe
04-22-2009, 10:33 AM
I use gallon baggies and put top, shorts, undies, socks all in one, that way we just grab a baggie and we are ready to be out the door in no time! And if your kids are at the age where they might require a change of clothing at some point in the day - it's easy with your gallon baggie clothes, everythings right there and you can put the soiled ones in the baggie!

DakandZakMom
04-22-2009, 10:54 AM
I use gallon baggies and put top, shorts, undies, socks all in one, that way we just grab a baggie and we are ready to be out the door in no time! And if your kids are at the age where they might require a change of clothing at some point in the day - it's easy with your gallon baggie clothes, everythings right there and you can put the soiled ones in the baggie!

I do the same thing. That way they always match!!:thumbsup:

cmsizzlin
04-22-2009, 01:07 PM
Love the gallon bag idea. Think I will do this for our trip in August

Thanks

jrkcr
04-22-2009, 01:27 PM
I've always done the gallon baggie too, and still do it for DD9.

I bet my teens would go for the hangers idea! My days of packing for my teens are over, but this "outfit on a hanger" would make it easy for them to see exactly what they have for each day. I'll have to tell them about it! :thumbsup:

buzznwoodysmom
04-22-2009, 01:46 PM
I've done both the baggies and the hangers and both were great. At home I wash my kids school uniforms and hang them on Saturday or Sunday for the entire week. I clip the pants, hang the shirt, put thier socks in their pants pocket, and hang the undies around the hanger. On crazy, busy mornings we don't have to go looking for undies and socks. Its such a lifesaver sometimes.

g8rgirl29
04-22-2009, 01:58 PM
Great Tips!! Thanks for sharing!!

Tink1
04-22-2009, 03:17 PM

Exactly what we did when the kids were small!

Nanc

mudpuppysmom
04-22-2009, 03:23 PM
I think both the hanger and baggie idea are great! Somehow though, I always forget this when I'm packing away the day before we leave!! This time I'll try to remember b/c it would make things SO easy in the morning trying to get two little guys ready and one big guy (maybe DH would appreciate this too!!!).:D

peemagg
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
With the baggies, if you seal them almost totally shut. then roll the bags from the bottom to get the air out and seal it quickly it takes up less space in the suitcase or backpack. Ziplock bags will work like those travel Space Bags if done right.

tinksmom02
04-22-2009, 10:33 PM

That's exactly what I do for my daughter! I make up individual baggies of clothes (I add coordinating hair ties, too :blush:), and we keep a set of clothing in the backpack when we head to the parks. Makes it easy for her to pick out clothes in the AM, too.

Dsnygirl
04-23-2009, 04:36 AM
I love the hangar idea! My girls are now old enough to be past the baggie thing, although that would've worked great in the past. Wish I'd known about it!

One thought to add... on our last trip, we were going to be there in the cooler weather and so had a lot more bulky stuff, and wouldn't have been able to do the hangar idea b/c it wouldn't have left enough room to pack everything.

Instead, I layed out the girls outfits on the bed, wrote down each one (after they were blessed my my fashionistas, of course... ;)) on a piece of paper, tucked that piece of paper in the appropriate suitcase and then just used it day to day when we were there so the girls knew what they were supposed to put on each morning. It helped with unpacking, too, b/c anything could go anywhere -- the girls just had to match up what was on the list from the drawer of tee-shirts and the hanging capris.

One last thing it helped with was planning for certain events... seeing the outfits written down next to the plan for the day really helped us be able to pick the right thing -- Christmas party stuff, water park outfit, nicer dinner that evening, going to see the fairies (must wear fairy clothes for that, you know... :D) and made the packing a lot less stressful!

yjgirl32
04-23-2009, 08:23 AM
Great ideas. I think I will try the baggie idea for all of us.

PrettyMinnie
04-23-2009, 08:54 AM
I still use the baggie method. Works perfect. I like the hanger method as well but we are carry-on people and I'm not sure how well that would go over in that small of a bag...But thanks for the tip! Maybe I will try it out in May! :minnie:

iheartdisney
04-23-2009, 03:34 PM

I learned this trick right here on Intercot and it's an amazing time saver and was sooooo convenient when the boys were in diapers/pull ups. I always had plenty of used ziplocs to re-use for soiled diapers/pullups.

Sam&Alex&Josh'sMOM
04-23-2009, 10:57 PM
We have done the same thing with the baggies. I can actually get the outfits for our 4 year old in to a quart sized bag, and the baby's clothes into a sandwich bag... IT is so easy to just throw the bags into the drawers when we unpack... and the smaller bags take less room in our carry pack in the park. This way when I am taking my shower in the morning I can tell my husband to get the girls changed,,, and he can't use the excuse "I didnt know what went with what..." I just say... Grab a bag.

javamama
04-23-2009, 11:56 PM
You guys are awsome I just started to lay out my kiddos clothes for our trip Monday, and this is a great idea w/the baggies:thumbsup: I have a million that I recycle from old trips, and other things. OMG I'm excited, I've been dreading packing for them:( This way I know what I have outfit wise to a "T" since my 2.5 year will need sometimes 3 outfits a day:eek:
thanks!!

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2009, 08:19 AM
Nope, I don't think you're crazy, I think you're smart! :thumbsup: Wish I had thought of that back when my son was little.

2lilboys
04-24-2009, 08:51 AM
I love the hanger idea...I might try that for my clothes when we go in 2 weeks.:thumbsup:

I used the gallon baggies to pack for my sons when we went last August. It worked great! We knew exactly what the boys would wear each day, right down to their socks (they usually wear matching outfits). We were there during T.S. Faye last August so the baggies also kept their clothes dry even if everything else was getting wet.

Each day, I also put an extra t-shirt in the baggie for me and DH to bring into the parks...I can't tell you how many times I had to change my shirt because of the boys' sticky hands. (Or the time my son got hold of an orange juice cap and it got lodged in his throat:ack:....he was fine, but we both needed to get changed after that!!)

IamBelle
04-24-2009, 09:09 AM
We do the baggie thing on the way to Florida, but I have an idea how to pack going back home.
So, going home, you might have several souvenirs that you need to pack in your suitcase. If you have no room, you can make a little more space by laying the clothes flat instead of folding them. It takes up less space so you can pack your souvenirs.

kwhitt3202
04-24-2009, 09:12 AM
I put my sons clothes in the baggies with a dryer sheet that way they smell fresh from the dryer and put a baggie of clothes in a backpack for the incase and if i need to change his clothes the I put the dirty ones in the baggie. Also I pack my husband with his shirt and underware folded in his shorts so all he has to do is grab and go.

DANAM
04-24-2009, 01:12 PM
Love the hanger and baggie ideas. I am a baggie freak. Everything goes in a baggie. But the hanger thing may prevent me from ironning in the morning. Love the idea's keep them coming. Now if I could just bring the washer and dryer with me I would be set.

Alligirl
04-26-2009, 11:00 AM
Love the hanger and baggie ideas. I am a baggie freak. Everything goes in a baggie. But the hanger thing may prevent me from ironning in the morning. Love the idea's keep them coming. Now if I could just bring the washer and dryer with me I would be set.

I always used the baggies when my girls were little, yes even the ponytail holders were in the bag! Makes it so much easier when they are "independent" and want to get ready by themselves.
Ironing on Vacation?!? Pack another baggie with Downy wrinkle remover spray. Spray everyone on the way out the door and enjoy your mornings more!!! :D

TheVBs
04-26-2009, 05:51 PM
Awesome ideas! I'm definitely going to give either the hanger or baggie tip a try this trip. :thumbsup:

BrownEyedGrrl
04-26-2009, 06:57 PM
AWESOME! I going to use both of those ideas when I pack for our trip in September. We'll be traveling with two six year olds, a 21 month old, and a seven month old. The gallon baggie idea is pure gold for our crew. For the babies, I'll toss a diaper/pull-up in the bag, too.

And I'm going to use the hanger idea for DH and me, and mention it to my mom as well. :D Although, I may leave my undies off the hangers. :lol:

BrownEyedGrrl
04-26-2009, 07:00 PM
I LOVE you guys! From reading a couple posts up, I'm also going to grab Downy wrinkle spray for the trip too. I can't imagine how lost I'd be if I hadn't found Intercot three trips ago. :) You guys rock! :number1:

ChewyStriker
04-27-2009, 10:18 AM
Another baggie user here!:thumbsup: