PDA

View Full Version : Phillies Phans

PirateLover
04-21-2009, 11:59 PM
Hey all, I mentioned this in the Harry Kalas thread, and we've decided to give it it's own post. Would any other Phillies Phans be interested in meeting up before the game on Tuesday, April 28th for Charlie Manuel Bobble Head night? Ian and Christine have expressed interest. I just checked and there are still decent seats available. I will be going with my fiancee. This game is not part of our package so I forget where our seats are.

If so, how would you want to do this? Maybe meet at the 3rd base gate, and then pop into McFaddens? Tailgate a bit in one of the lots and then head over to the park? I guess it all depends on how much time everyone has with it being a weekday.

If people are interested in meeting up at a game sometime, but cannot make this one, let me know. There are still at least 5 months of baseball left and plenty of time to plan another meet.

Ian
04-23-2009, 07:44 AM
My only issue with meeting before the game on the 28th is that I'm bringing the wife and kids (makes McFadden's out of the question) and I'm coming from work, which means it's unlikely I'll get there much before the game starts.

I'm thinking we might want to pick another game later in the season and give more folks time to plan accordingly.

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 08:59 AM
That's fine, I had originally thought a saturday or sunday game would be the best choice, but both you and Christine had expressed interest in Bobble head night, so I threw it out there. The only weekend tickets that I already have that I know of are Sat May 2nd. I know Christine has the Sunday plan. There are weekend series the first two weeks and the last weeks of May, 2nd week of June (as well as the 3rd week but I'll be in WDW) and 2nd and 4th weeks of July (Not counting 4th of July weekend when I will be moving into my new digs).
Everyone can take a look at the schedule on Phillies.com and see what works best.

Ian
04-23-2009, 10:08 AM
A Sunday evening game definitely works best for us.

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 10:35 AM
There are no evening Sunday games. They are all 1:35

Ian
04-23-2009, 12:36 PM
1:35 is okay, too!

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 01:12 PM
Anybody else out there getting in on this? I'm not sure how far out we want to push it. May 3rd is a Mets game. The following sunday (10th)is 12:35 vs ATL. Then we have May 31st vs. Wash. I can't make the sunday games in June because I'm dealing with the graduation of my 8th grade class and then headed to WDW.

There are 3 sunday games in July. (Mets, Pirates, Cardinals) but Mets it 4th of July weekend.

Hammer
04-23-2009, 02:13 PM
I'm up for a game. Note on the Sunday games. They tend to sell very well. My seats are second level right field.

May 3- Mets- lots of people come to these games

May 10- Braves 12:35 - this is Mother's day, so not sure how your families would feel about that. Give away is a Jayson Werth fleece blanket to all ladies 15 and over

May 31- Nationals 1:35- Could be our best bet.

Ian
04-23-2009, 04:44 PM
I could do the May 31st game, most likely.

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Should work for me:thumbsup:

Ian
04-23-2009, 06:19 PM
On an unrelated note ... if I grab a couple Charlie bobbleheads on Tuesday night anyone have any idea how I could go about trying to trade one of them for a Harry/Whitey bobblehead?

I missed that one and now (for obvious reasons) I really want it.

PirateLover
04-23-2009, 10:18 PM
On an unrelated note ... if I grab a couple Charlie bobbleheads on Tuesday night anyone have any idea how I could go about trying to trade one of them for a Harry/Whitey bobblehead?

Well, I'm pretty sure they were given out during his HOF celebration which was 2002... I dunno who you would trade with??? I mean Harry and Whitey totally trump Charlie so you will most likely will have to pay for it via ebay or craigslist or something.

Hammer
04-23-2009, 10:33 PM
On an unrelated note ... if I grab a couple Charlie bobble heads on Tuesday night anyone have any idea how I could go about trying to trade one of them for a Harry/Whitey bobblehead?

Yes, they were given out at an August 2002 Sunday game honoring Harry's HOF induction. I was there and the Harry and Whitey bobble head sits proudly on my mantle (only bobble figurine I have out). More than likely, the Phillies don't have them any more so you will have to go the ebay route.

Ian
04-24-2009, 08:15 AM
Yeah, I thought maybe there might be a Phillies fan board around where you could offer up a Charlie in trade for a Harry, but I guess that's unlikely since, as Maryanne pointed out, a Harry/Whitey certainly trumps a Charlie.

I'm not paying eBay prices for them, though. They're going for like $60 - $100 right now.

PirateLover
04-26-2009, 11:33 PM
Well, seems like it's not gonna go down tuesday so maybe one of you mods could remove the 4/28 from the title? Also anyone up for the task of going through posts to find other phils fans and directing them towards this post? If neither of you want to, I will, I just have to stop being lazy and clear out my 98% full box :cool:

Ian
04-27-2009, 09:22 AM
26 runs in 3 games ... the bats appear to have awoken!

Great series. That was huge sweeping the Marlins in their home stadium. Hopefully this shows we're turning the corner and getting back to form.

btw, am I the only one who's got mad love for Ibanez? I loved Burrell, but this guy is making me think, "Pat who??"

PirateLover
04-27-2009, 09:27 AM
Man I was loving this weekend. watched all the games. 2 great edge of your seat come from behind wins and one good old fashioned pummeling. And while I do miss Burrell being around....Ibanez is awesome and really seems to fit right in with these guys. We call him the worm because my fiancee is under the impression that he looks like earthworm jim (video game character) and he dives into the ground to get some of the balls.

Hammer
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
btw, am I the only one who's got mad love for Ibanez? I loved Burrell, but this guy is making me think, "Pat who??"

Yeah, I was a fan of Pat (still am and I will watch his Rays games) but Ibanez is really awesome. Being totally objective it is nice to have a left fielder who is able to be mobile enough to flat out run down some fly balls. After Pat hurt his ankle, he lost a lot of mobility. Pat, at this stage of his career, is better off as a DH.

Ian
04-27-2009, 06:00 PM
I agree completely, Christine. Having Victorino and Ibanez out there now gives us a whole new level of defense that we didn't have last season.

Might have to get an Ibanez jersey at the game tomorrow night. ;)

PirateLover
04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Might have to get an Ibanez jersey at the game tomorrow night. ;)
Ibanez is one of the available t-shirts if you wanna go the cheaper route.

PirateLover
04-27-2009, 10:35 PM
WOW. Another amazing performance from Raul both in the field and at the plate. And 2 grand slams!!! I LOVE THIS TEAM! Hope they bring some of that magic tomorrow, and that we finally get to see a Cole Hamels in true form!

Ian
04-29-2009, 07:27 AM
Well half your wishes came true anyway, Maryanne.

Three dingers ... not bad ... The kids had a blast! DD loved when the bell rang. ;)

PirateLover
04-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Well half your wishes came true anyway, Maryanne.

Three dingers ... not bad ... The kids had a blast! DD loved when the bell rang. ;)

Actually there ended up being 4! 2 Utley, 1 Feliz, 1 IBANEZ! It was a pretty fun game, aside from the "Oh No!" moment with Hamels... this has certainly been an interesting season for him so far. I told my fiancee he's a jinx! He was at both games so far in which Hamels has been injured.

Ian
04-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Yeah, I left out the Ibanez one because we had to leave before that one got hit. Heard it in the car, though.

By the way, can I just say that I'm liking Scott Franzke more and more as an announcer. He's had some great calls on these home runs and grand slams the last couple days.

But as much as I love Larry, I kinda wish he'd stop making goofy noises overtop of Franzke's calls.

PirateLover
05-07-2009, 10:37 PM
Bummed about the Mets losses but what can ya do? They took the season series last year, but we are still World Champions!!! And I kinda like Larry yelling...sometimes. I find it humorous. Whitey would sometimes say "Oh Baby!" and things like that, although not nearly as loudly as L.A. :secret:

Ian
05-08-2009, 09:16 AM
Eh ... circumstances have conspired against us a bit in these last two Mets games.

I mean who thinks that if Chan Ho Park holds the Mets to 1 run the Phils will lose anyway?? Santana was just unhittable that game.

And last night, Moyer didn't get the calls early and whenever that happens he's doomed. I said to DW about 15 pitches into the first, "This game's over. Moyer's rattled."

I don't care about who wins what games in May ... although I will admit I hate to lose to the Mets no matter what ... I care about who wins the very last game of the season!

PirateLover
05-23-2009, 06:39 PM
Hey guys, hope you've all been enjoying this series against the Yankees!

Anyway, unfortunately I'm gonna have to bail from the May 31st game. Since I just found out I don't have a job next year, my fiancee and I have promised to cut all unnecessary spending. Since we already have the 17 game plan, we've decided, among other things, to stop buying additional Phillies tickets until I get a job again :(

Ian
05-24-2009, 07:50 AM
Maryanne, can you give us the remaining dates for your game plan? We can pick from that group of games?

I didn't enjoy last night's Yankees game at all. Lidge is becoming very worrisome. What was that? His 3rd blown save already this season?

Not good, my fellow Phanatics. Not good. This team has no viable replacement for Lidge ... if this keeps up we're in it deep.

Hammer
05-24-2009, 12:37 PM
Maryanne, just let us know your games and I'll buy a ticket to go as our packages do not match up.

Ian, Lidge has come back to earth from last year. This has happened with closers after a long save streak. Unlike Gagne, I think he will bounce back and still be a good closer. People in Philadelphia need to relax a bit and not be so quick to boo or the problem will become worse. He is going to blow saves; all closers will have blown saves (even Rivera, who I will say is the best closer out there, has blown a save and lost another game when he came into a tie game this season).

Great pitching matchup today (1:05) !

PirateLover
05-24-2009, 01:42 PM
Ian, I typed that up right before Lidge blew the save. :(

My remaining games are:
This Friday (5.29) vs Wash
Tue 6/16 vs Toronto
I'm missing the 6/20 game because I'll be in WDW
Tue 7/7 vs. Cincinnati
Sat 7/11 vs. Pitt
Mon 7/20 vs. chicago
Sat 7/25 vs. STL
Then we're into august. If none of these dates work I'll post the august ones too.

Ian
05-24-2009, 02:56 PM
Ian, Lidge has come back to earth from last year. This has happened with closers after a long save streak. Unlike Gagne, I think he will bounce back and still be a good closer. People in Philadelphia need to relax a bit and not be so quick to boo or the problem will become worse. He is going to blow saves; all closers will have blown saves (even Rivera, who I will say is the best closer out there, has blown a save and lost another game when he came into a tie game this season).Well ... I'm not going to agree that booing "makes it worse", but I do agree with you in principle. It's not do or die just yet.

But the rumor is he's hurt ... bad knee ... that's why I'm concerned. If I thought it was just his coming back down to Earth I wouldn't be quite as worried.

Ian, I typed that up right before Lidge blew the save. :(

My remaining games are:
This Friday (5.29) vs Wash
Tue 6/16 vs Toronto
I'm missing the 6/20 game because I'll be in WDW
Tue 7/7 vs. Cincinnati
Sat 7/11 vs. Pitt
Mon 7/20 vs. chicago
Sat 7/25 vs. STL
Then we're into august. If none of these dates work I'll post the august ones too.July 7th would be kinda cool ... that's my birthday!

Hammer
05-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Make it 4 blown saves, though they seem to have bounced back in the 11th. My thought is that Lidge hasn't be put on the DL to have the knee cleaned out (much like he had done in spring training 2008) is because they need to wait for Romero to return. Without Romero, the Phils do not have anyone reliable to set up the 8th inning so that Madson could close. No, Taschner is not a viable option. I say that Lidge goes on the DL in June once Romero is back and settled and he will be out to until after the All-Star break.

I also believe the Phils should not take Moyer out of the rotation. Moyer has had these rough stretches throughout his career and history shows he works out of them. If people were expecting another 16 win season, they are setting themselves up for failure. 16 wins for Moyer was an anomaly. He will give you 10-13 wins in a season at this point in his career and is a 4th starter now and that should not be portrayed as a bad thing.

Hammer
05-24-2009, 05:13 PM
Regarding the games, I would prefer not to go to the games on 5/29, 7/11 or 7/25 as I have another game in these series. 7/7 works for me!

Ian
05-25-2009, 08:06 AM
Make it 4 blown saves, though they seem to have bounced back in the 11th. My thought is that Lidge hasn't be put on the DL to have the knee cleaned out (much like he had done in spring training 2008) is because they need to wait for Romero to return. Without Romero, the Phils do not have anyone reliable to set up the 8th inning so that Madson could close. No, Taschner is not a viable option. I say that Lidge goes on the DL in June once Romero is back and settled and he will be out to until after the All-Star break.

I also believe the Phils should not take Moyer out of the rotation. Moyer has had these rough stretches throughout his career and history shows he works out of them. If people were expecting another 16 win season, they are setting themselves up for failure. 16 wins for Moyer was an anomaly. He will give you 10-13 wins in a season at this point in his career and is a 4th starter now and that should not be portrayed as a bad thing.I think this is a first, Christine, but I do believe I agree with absolutely everything you said here!

You know ... there's something to be said for the fact that even with a closer with a bum knee and our other issues we still went up to New York and took 2 out of 3 from the big, bad Yankees!! :D

Hammer
05-31-2009, 05:36 PM
First, congratulations to Jamie Moyer on his 250th win. Could not happen to a classier,just all around good guy :baseball: :congrats: !

Secondly, I just posted that Harry Kalas is being inducted in the Phillies Wall of Fame before the August 7th game. Maryanne, is that one of your games? If so, I say we all meet for that game. I know i said I did not want to go to 2 games in a series, but for this I'll make an exception.

Ian
06-01-2009, 10:18 AM
I'm up for that.

PirateLover
06-02-2009, 10:31 PM
Hah, my tickets are actually for August 6th! But I'll talk to my fiancee and see what he says. I would be up for the 7th as well, and now they are telling me I might get to keep my job after all but I'm not sure yet so we'll see...

Ian
06-03-2009, 08:40 AM
There's another possible option, Maryanne ... maybe you could sell your 8/6 tickets and use the proceeds to buy 8/7 tickets?

By the way ... I have serious man-love for Raul Ibanez. 2 homers and 5 RBI's last night!!

The man's a beast!! :number1:

Ian
06-12-2009, 08:58 AM
By the way ... I have serious man-love for Raul Ibanez. 2 homers and 5 RBI's last night!!

The man's a beast!! :number1::ditto:

Outstanding plays in the field and a 3 run shot in the 10th to win the game.

Man love, I tell you. Man love.

PirateLover
06-13-2009, 10:37 AM
I just bought a great shirt.
http://www.birdland.bigcartel.com/product/raauuull

Ian
06-14-2009, 08:33 AM
Yeah, I saw those in Dick's Sporting Goods the other day. I'm definitely getting one.

I'm also getting a, "Jack Taschner Must Go" t-shirt to go along with it!

That guy is the anti-Raul Ibanez. He manages to blow it at any key moment.

With Myers gone, the Phils really need to go find a quality second starter. The rotation/bullpen has some issues right now.