PDA

View Full Version : Old Key West

Mickey052501
04-21-2009, 05:59 PM
Hey everyone,

How is Old Key West? My husband and I are staying in a studio in July.

Jen:mickey:

deedeenmickey
04-21-2009, 06:51 PM
We stayed there in February. It is nice but it is huge! Very laid back and relaxing. I think it is nice to be able to park near your door (if you will have a car). Having the kitchen allows you to bring breakfast fixings if you like. The bathrooms are huge. Having a balcony or patio is nice as well. We didn't use the pool but it looked nice. Not your typical food court but we liked it.

Maleficent's Dad
04-21-2009, 08:53 PM
While OKW is known primarily for their large accomodations, a studio is not much more than a typical hotel room. You will, however, have a microwave, toaster, small refrigerator, and walk out patio/balcony.

The resort is laid back - a huge part of its theme. And no one seems to be in a hurry, so it's pretty relaxing. And it's very spread out - so you could be quite a haul from the HH.

Since it's primarily a DVC resort, food options are limited. There are two *small* CS options (one is seasonal), and there is a sit-down at Olivia's.

There's plenty to do - like most good resorts. If you have any specific questions, let me know! :mickey:

Pooh Fan
04-21-2009, 09:25 PM
We have stayed twice and love it there. I really enjoy taking a boat ride down to DTD for dinner and an evening of fun. As others mentioned it is relaxing and a beautiful property. There is a nice balance of fun kid type pools and quieter, more relaxing pools The water slide at the main pool is really fun. It kept my 4 year old occupied for hours. Hope you enjoy it as much as we do.:thumbsup:

g8rgirl29
04-21-2009, 10:28 PM
We Love OKW!! It is a little bit older than the rest but the size of the rooms and the laid back atmosphere more than make up for the age!! It really is a beautiful resort!!

dlpmikki
04-22-2009, 03:07 AM
OKW is my favourite resort but for couples I prefer the studios at other DVC resorts where you get a bed and a sofa rather than the 2 beds you get at OKW.

DVC2004
04-22-2009, 08:42 AM
Well manicured outside but starting to show it's age a little inside. Large rooms and a nice boat that takes you to DTD. On a golf course too so some rooms back to that. Large and spread out. The feature pool was redone a few years ago.

Momof2boys
04-27-2009, 10:58 AM
We love the theming of OKW - coming from Wisconsin it's great to have that tropical feel while on vacation.

Mushu11756
04-27-2009, 01:26 PM
We stayed there as well last April 08. Studio was nice and the resort does have a very comfortable feel to it as others have said. We were going to stay there again this September but decided to try something different. I liked it better than SSR myself also we noticed that they were renovating units while we were there so you might luck out and get one of the updated rooms.

IDreamofEeyore
05-15-2009, 12:01 PM
Hi everyone. Thanks for your posts about OKW. We're staying there in July for the 1st time and are really looking forward to the trip. We've stayed at WL (our home) & BW villas in the past and really love both of those resorts.

My question is, I know that you access all of the parks by bus from OKW. In your experience, how long should we allow on average to get to the parks from OKW in the last week of July? Does OKW share bus service with another resort during the summer?

Also, I've read that OKW offers onsite recreation like ping-pong and shuffleboard. What are some other onsite activities that you have enjoyed there? Our group includes me and DH (both 40-something), our DS (9) and my DM (60 something). Thanks!

Maleficent's Dad
05-17-2009, 08:41 AM
In your experience, how long should we allow on average to get to the parks from OKW in the last week of July? Does OKW share bus service with another resort during the summer?
The bus service at OKW has been pretty good as of late. We were there for a week last month, and never waited long for a bus. There are five stops in the resort, so depending on your location, it may take you ten minutes (or more) just to exit the resort itself. Give yourself some extra time to get around. But we never waited more than 10 minutes for a bus in April (busy week of Easter).

OKW does not share buses with other resorts. There had been, however, some speculation that the THV would potentially share buses with OKW, but that is not going to be the case! :mickey:

Also, I've read that OKW offers onsite recreation like ping-pong and shuffleboard. What are some other onsite activities that you have enjoyed there? Our group includes me and DH (both 40-something), our DS (9) and my DM (60 something). Thanks!
If anyone in your family golfs, LBV Golf meanders through the resort (although the proshop is at SSR).
We've made use of Community Hall time and again, and I think it's really a great asset to DVC. For free, you can play air-hockey, some video games (computer), ping-pong, foosball, draw & color, rent DVD's, play board games, use tennis rackets/courts, play basketball, play shuffleboard, and much more. They also have some crafts for kids for a small fee.
During the day, there are activities around the pool where you can win prizes - name that tune, bingo, etc...
We enjoy the main pool area as there are loads of options to keep our family happy!

Mickey052501
05-17-2009, 01:16 PM
Thanks everyone for your comments we will only be there for two days but want to make sure that we are staying in a nice place. Now even more excited thanks all!!!

Jen :mickey:

DizneyFreak2002
05-17-2009, 07:46 PM
While not my favorite resort, I still enjoyed it immensly... The resort is huge, like others have said... But, the parking lot is pretty close to your room, which is nice.. My room was kind of close to the bus stop, so I didn't have a bad walk.. But, after a day in the parks, the walk was far enough LOL... I think you'll enjoy it there...

Simba's Mom
05-17-2009, 09:38 PM
One really cool recreation activities is that they show movies up by the main pool, outside, on several nights a week. We just got back and for May, I remember that they're showing "Monsters Inc." every Thursday and "Mary Poppins" every Wednesday. If you like thick, whole grain bread, I love Good's to Go's tuna sandwich. And if you like "adult beverages" be sure to go to Gurgling Suitcase and ask Robert (I think that's the bartender's name) for one of his awesome Mud Slides made with ice cream.

rsumrall
05-18-2009, 10:20 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with the positive comments about OKW. We've only stayed once, but it was perhaps our favorite stay of all the DVC resorts we've experienced. Very relaxing!

The only negative I can think of is Olivia's (the TS restaurant). While the service was fine, we found the food to be poor by Disney standards. That said, you are only a 20 min. boat ride from DTD.

IDreamofEeyore
05-21-2009, 10:00 AM
Thanks for the replies everyone! We are really looking forward to our trip in July. We will definitely make use of the free activities at the community hall and the activities/movies at the pool. Sounds like a really neat place...I can't wait!

True Disney Fan
05-22-2009, 06:42 PM
:cool:Glad to hear that the transportation time has improved. We were there several years ago, very last place at very last stop. Took forever to get anywhere:confused::Have to admit, they were nice and big. I enjoyed the stay,although spoiled to the Wilderness Villas,(my home).:cloud9:
Coming to OKW in July.Looking forward to all of the newer updates. Thanks for your postings. Have been off for a while,just got back on.:mickey: