PDA

View Full Version : So up in the air!!!

KAT1811
04-21-2009, 02:18 PM
For my 2,000th post I figured I would ask for help in deciding the most important portion of our trip. . . where to stay. So I'm asking the experts! :write:

We are planning our annual trip to the World this year and it is a bit confusing :scratch: . Here is the deal. Myself, DH, DD#2 5, DD#3 2 (almost 3), and DS 8 months (all ages are at time of travel) are heading down November 1st on the 6th DD#1 12 (almost 13) will be joining us until we depart on the 15th (she is entering junior high this year and cannot miss the full two weeks :read: so she is meeting up with us and only missing 4 days). For the first part of our trip I thought we would stay either at the Wilderness Lodge, Yacht Club, or Beach Club. Then we will possibly be transfering resorts (our first time moving mid trip so any input here would also be helpful) to most likely POR unless we end up staying at the WL for the whole trip***. Everything is completely up in the air and I am having a really tough time making a decision :goodbad: .

***[My parents may be joining us but have a big chance of not coming so in the event that they do not come we may just stay at the YC, BC, or another deluxe that sleeps 5 for the entire stay or may get two rooms at a moderate. The baby is still in a crib and DD#3 is still so small she would be very comfortable on the day bed (actually this would probably be ideal for her as she is still in her crib and has never slept in a bed before so with a bed rail she would probably be most comfortable here by herself).]

:thanks:

tinksmom02
04-21-2009, 02:24 PM
I really can't offer you any specific advice, because I've never switched resorts mid-trip, but from everything i've read here on INTERCOT, the advice is to start with the lower-priced resort at the beginning of the trip, and then move up. E.g., go from POR to WL.

What a happy dilemma you have! :mickey:

Mousemates
04-21-2009, 02:38 PM
If you choose to resort hop its ever so easy...wdw will even transfer your luggage for you...as for the previous posters comment about going up instead of down in luxury or amenities she is dead on...its very easy to feel good about moving someplace bigger, not so easy to go the other way. We are serial resort hoppers (we do it just about every trip) and greatly enjoythe variation...for us it kind of restarts the fun all over again half way through.

However, with kids as small as yours, where you will have to do all the packing and unpacking, and where your kids will have to readjust to a new bed and new surroundings halfway through (for some kids its an issue, maybe not for yours)...I think, given the choices you mentioned I might just do the whole stay at a day-bed deluxe. And save the two room stay at a mod for when the kids are bit older and the extra space will be much more needed.

diz_girl
04-21-2009, 02:45 PM
I don't think that you can stay at the WL, unless you get a Deluxe room. Standard rooms at the WL sleep a maximum of 4. So unless you get a separate room when your parents and daughter join you, and one of your older children stays with them, the WL is out of the question for your entire stay. So maybe go for a split WL/BC stay when your daughter joins you. Or just stay at BC for the whole trip.

TammiMcMan
04-21-2009, 03:08 PM
I agree that starting at a moderate and then moving up to a deluxe is a good option. Plus, it works with the fact that your room occupancy is going from 4 to 5.

If your parents aren't coming, then staying at WL for the entire time would only be an option if you wanted to get a 2nd room when your daughter arrives. Not knowing discounts or packages, the rack rate difference is about $900 more to stay at the WL for the entire stay and getting a 2nd room for 4 nights as compared to doing POR for a week and YC for a week.

One thing to keep in mind about split stays, is that it's 2 separate reservations. It's usually not a problem if they're room only, but it can be tricky if you're planning on a package. You'd have to price out 2 different packages, which could be more expensive.

You definitely have options and I strongly recommend utilizing Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com). They're Disney experts and they can really take the stress out of planning this type of vacation. Just let them know your concerns and they'll be happy to work out some viable options for you.

KAT1811
04-21-2009, 04:23 PM
Okay I did not explain the situation clearly. Not surprising considering how complex the different scenarios are.

Scenario #1 - DH and I go on the 1st (with 2 children and 1 infant) and ONLY DD#1 joins us on the 6th and we still depart on the 15th.

Scenario #2 - DH and I still go on the 1st with 2 children and 1 infant and BOTH DD#1 and my parents join us.

. . . the advice is to start with the lower-priced resort at the beginning of the trip, and then move up. E.g., go from POR to WL.

What a happy dilemma you have! :mickey:

This would not work for us (unfortunately) since we would need 2 rooms on the second half of the trip either way unless we stayed at the BC/YC or another higher end deluxe and a moderate would be much more price efficient than the WL (unless there are some fabulous deals in November and then the WL may work).

If you choose to resort hop its ever so easy...wdw will even transfer your luggage for you...

GREAT to know considering I promised DH that I would pack up and move us while he took the kids to the pool. He does not want to switch resorts but will because he loves me! LOL! :blush:

. . .your kids will have to readjust to a new bed and new surroundings halfway through (for some kids its an issue, maybe not for yours)...

The kids are seasoned travelers and luckily have no problem adjusting. They will actually consider something like this an adventure. They love hotels! LOL!

If your parents aren't coming, then staying at WL for the entire time would only be an option if you wanted to get a 2nd room when your daughter arrives.

If my parents do not come we are considering the BC/YC or even the Poly or CR not the WL for the entire stay as I am aware we will not fit in one room and to pay for 9 nights of a second room for one child seems a bit much when we could all fit into one room at the BC/YC.

One thing to keep in mind about split stays, is that it's 2 separate reservations. It's usually not a problem if they're room only, but it can be tricky if you're planning on a package. You'd have to price out 2 different packages, which could be more expensive.

You definitely have options and I strongly recommend utilizing Magical Journeys (http://www.yourmagicaljourneys.com). They're Disney experts and they can really take the stress out of planning this type of vacation. Just let them know your concerns and they'll be happy to work out some viable options for you.

I am aware of the two reservation policy and since we tend to go for extended periods of time I have had to book two packages before because we outstayed the package day limit (during the first year of free dining). When that happened I just added a day pass onto the other package and the rest stayed the same. Not a huge deal. My grandparents live in Ft. Myers Beach in the winter and I am planning on taking the children down next spring and since the airport dwon there does not have direct flights from Providence we will fly into Orlando direct and use it as an excuse to spend a few days in Disney before going south.

We are using MJ I would just like to have a grip on the plans before I drive poor Debbie crazy again this year!

dancin Disney style
04-25-2009, 06:49 AM
Have you thought about an off site house or condo that everyone can fit into? or what about renting DVC points and staying in a villa?

KAT1811
04-25-2009, 08:50 AM
We had a friend offer us 2 weeks of his timeshare but when it came time to book we found out that it was only off site (he had said that we could use it onsite too). We have no desire to stay offsite ever. So much so that we lost our $300 deposit on the initial request. I have zero desire to rent a car, fight traffic, parking, car seats, etc. for two weeks! I love the Disney busses and never having to think much on vacation! LOL!

We have other friends that are looking into their points for us. They need to see if friends of their's has some points we can rent too because we are going for so long and require such a large unit they are uncertain as to how many points they can wrangle up. As far as renting from a stranger, I'm very leary. It isn't in my nature to trust total strangers with thousands of dollars. Plus it would cost more for me to rent from a stranger than it would to stay at a deluxe. I really appreciate the thought but I've already thought about that.