PDA

View Full Version : Best Delux?

bostomco
04-21-2009, 01:22 PM
DW and me are heading down for the last week of October to celebrate our Anniversary. This time we want to upgrade to either the Poly of AKL. The last time we were there we stayed at POR and loved it! Is the difference between the moderates and a resort like the Poly that great? Also, how do people feel about a collateral move from POR to CBR? Thanks.

PixieMagic
04-21-2009, 01:38 PM
I sound like a broken record, but.....POLY POLY POLY - you have the awesome theming, the lagoon, MK Castle in view, and the monorail transportation makes everything so much more convenient!!!:cloud9:

deedeenmickey
04-21-2009, 01:49 PM
The only deluxe I've have ever stayed in was the contemporary but I would love to stay at the AKL! The Poly has the themeing and the castle view but the AKL has themeing and the animal views. I would have to have a savannah view though.

diz_girl
04-21-2009, 02:30 PM
The Poly is probably my favorite resort. You just can't beat watching Wishes from a swing or hammock on the beach. Plus, there's the Electric Water Pageant. And with the Monorail, you can easily get to the MK or EPCOT or just quickly resort hop to the GR and GF.

The CS restaurant at the Poly is Captain Cook's, which has good food. What I love about it is that you order your food from the grille on a touch screen, get your beverages and side dishes and then pay and find a seat. When you pay you get a pager to notify you when your food is ready. I definitely missed that service when I was standing in a 15-deep line to order at the Roaring Fork at WL in December.

The main difference is location and then the next largest difference is amenities, which differ from the Mods to the Deluxes. Most Deluxes have at least two TS restaurants (I think that the Boarkwalk Inn is an exception since the restaurants are on the boardwalk), and the GF actually has five TS restaurants. Some of the Deluxes also have more than one store. Plus, the Deluxes have queen beds, rather than full beds at the Mods (except CSR because of the convention center). Many Deluxes also have child care centers.

iadarolas
04-21-2009, 03:15 PM
My favorite deluxe is Yacht and Beach Club. You can walk to two parks, EPCOT and HS. Boardwalk is just across the lake, a stroll away, with all of it's eateries and entertainment, as well as Swan and Dolphin. I think it is the best location in all of WDW, IMHO. Let's not forget the pool, Stormalong Bay. Check it out, you may fall in love!:mickey:

KatMark
04-21-2009, 04:12 PM
The Poly was always our favorite resort until we moved to the Coronado (which is now our "home" resort). That being said, our dream is to stay at the AKL with a savannah view.

I guess I wasn't much help now, was I? I say you can't go wrong with either one.

bostomco
04-21-2009, 08:43 PM
Hmmmm... Lots of food for thought. But everyone seems really pro-Poly. Thanks for all the great comments!

thejens
04-21-2009, 11:43 PM
The only solution is to (eventually) try them both!!! I love them both for different reasons. I am in love with AKL partly because it was my first resort at WDW, but also because it is SO immersive and beautiful. But you cannot beat the location and views from the Poly, so it is very very hard to decide! You can't go wrong though.:thumbsup:

Mousemates
04-22-2009, 12:35 AM
Favorite Deluxes

CR - sentimental reasons (its where I stayed on my first visit in the 70s), I like interior corridors and not having to go outside at night if I want something to eat or drink (which knocks out the poly), convenience to parks (monorail), lots of eats.

AKL - super cool lobby, super cool views (savannah a must here or you kind of miss the point), great pool, two good restaurants.

WL...AKL without animals...but added convenience being just a short boat ride from the MK and the monorail at CR.

tjstrike
04-22-2009, 04:15 AM
I think any of the monorail resorts would be an excellent choice for an anniversary.

Nicki'sMom
04-22-2009, 07:47 AM
Having not stayed at either resort, and just going by my own research...I pick Poly. I have read some not so stellar reviews about AKL service lately and the fact that it is so far away from everything. Unless you guys are really into animals and African theming, I bet you would like the Polynesian. All the above posts I agree with. Being on the monorail is so nice. I always enjoy going to Ohana for dinner and I can't wait to stay at the reort someday. Good luck with the planning. Let us know what you decide.

scootch713
04-22-2009, 08:38 AM
I can't imagine anywhere better than the Poly for an anniversary. You will feel like you are in Hawaii. :)

DVC2004
04-22-2009, 08:39 AM
I have stayed at all the Deluxes but Yacht Club (did stay at the Beach Club though)- I have to go with the Poly. It can't be beat for ambiance and beauty, location, dining, theme and overall general welcoming feel. Just a great place. Having been to real Hawaii I really appreciate how authentic it is. Totally worth the extra cost.

LarryBoy
04-22-2009, 08:52 AM
I think the biggest advantage of the Deluxe resorts is location, location, location. At all, except the AKL, you have either a short walk, boat, or monorail ride to either MK or Epcot. The at the AKL you can look out your balcony and see live African animals.
I have only stayed at the CR, and we absolutely loved being on the monorail. We can't wait for July to get here, when we will be staying at the WL. If money were no object my top two choices would be the Poly and the BC.

Figment78
04-22-2009, 10:40 AM
Well I'm not going to be of much help b/c I really think you can't go wrong with either. Both have very romantic theming. I do feel that Jiko is one of the most romantic (and delicious) restaurants on property. I have not stayed at AKL b/c animals are just not my thing, so the savannah view doesn't persuade me to give up the proximity to MK (when we stay at the Poly or WL) or Epcot/DHS (when we stay at BW or BC). But if you think that the animals are cool - AKL is very romantic. If you are considering the Poly - you can easily hop over to GF or CR for special dinners - California Grill is our second favorite special dining in WDW except we like to go at sunset, not for fireworks. Walking along the pathways at the Poly with the tiki torches lighting the way, or swaying in a hammock on the beach with the castle in the distance - that's my kind of "anniversary trip"! However, our finances don't allow us to stay at the Poly every time, and we find the WL and Boardwalk just as romantic. If money is a factor, AKL is a bit less expensive than the Poly.

As for CBR or POR, I haven't stayed at either. I've heard good things about both and will proabably try CBR sometime. I have a hard time giving up my balcony, queen beds, and the extra square footage though, which is why we rarely stay at moderates. I also am not a fan of the internal resort bus stops. With the Poly you sometimes have to share a bus with GF or Ft. Wilderness, but it's only 1 stop.

wdwfansince75
04-22-2009, 11:53 AM
The Poly....In October, evening comes early....long, dark ride on the bus after sunset, or a short monorail ride from MK or EPCOT...Plus, closer to MNSSHP...Wishes from the dock, beach, or even your room....O'hana and Kona Cafe...and Captain Cook...self serve Dole Whip....Monorail ride to GF or CR for outstanding dining....or to EPCOT, for the same purpose....Oh, and congrats on anniversary...know there's one every year, but each is worthy of celebrating....DW and I will celebrate 45 this year! Already planning to celebrate out 50th at WDW....June 13, 2014. Will do it at either the Poly or CR!

Belster
04-22-2009, 04:32 PM
I would always chose POLY!!! If my budget were not of any concern I would never stay anywhere else. Ploy has great theme, great room size and you do truly feel like you are on a vacation there.

TikiLounger
04-22-2009, 06:03 PM
For me, it's the Poly. Always. My husband used to agree but we stayed at The Beach Club on our last visit and now, he's been converted. He loves the proximity to Epcot. I'll never change my mind about the Poly, though. I'm a bit obsessed with Polynesian culture.:papple::lei::tikki:

Jeff
04-22-2009, 07:00 PM
Of the Deluxe resorts we have stayed at my family ranks them like this:
1. Poly
2. Boardwalk Inn
3. Animal Kingdom Lodge
4. Contemporary
5. Beach Club (pool is great though)

I would rank the Swan at number 2 but know some do not consider it "real Disney" so not a deluxe. It has the best beds though and that makes it deluxe in my book.

beksy
04-22-2009, 07:30 PM
I haven't stayed at either but hope to try both eventually. We were actually going to stay at the Poly on our next trip but it's Mom's dream to stay at the CR so we surprised her with that. My sister is a huge fan of Hawaii-theming and we love the Poly restaurants and being on the monorail so for us this was our number one choice. I think between the two the Poly would win out simply because I can see the MK and for the monorail (we spend most of our time at the MK--we're just big kids!) :cloud9:. I think it would be neat to spend a couple of nights at the AKL and see all the animals (and since you may be spending a little more time in the room this trip ;) with a Savannah view this could be a good opportunity!). For us the Poly is just a better fit.

gaffz70
04-24-2009, 07:04 AM
As others have said, I am sure you would not be disappointed w/ either.

For me, my least fav thing about Disney if I really had to pick something is the buses. So for me, I'd rather stay at Poly where I can take advantage of the monorail.

MNNHFLTX
04-24-2009, 08:29 AM
Although I would stay at any of the deluxe resorts, I would have to say that the Polynesian is my favorite. I just love the spacious rooms and the Kona Cafe! That said I still want to stay at the Contemporary someday and see how I like it. :)