PDA

View Full Version : Questions on Tickets - non expiring option

FriendsofMickey
04-17-2009, 01:10 PM
I have always gotten the regular ticket without the non-expiring option. I am thinking of buying some extra tickets this year.
I have two questions:

With the tickets they I have always purchased, it says tickets expire 14 days from first use. If I were to buy 10 non expiring tickets, but only used 3, the remaining tickets would not expire correct? (I know this sounds like a stupid question to me, but I don't want to assume that each day is non expiring.)

I have 6 year old twins, so if I buy non-expiring tickets now and never used all the tickets before they turned 9, would I be able to convert their tickets to adults when the time came?

I think this is it for now.

DizneyRox
04-17-2009, 01:46 PM
1. Each ticket expires 14 days after it is first used. If you buy 10 tickets, but only use 3 of them, those other 7 will not expire until 14 days after they are used. Buying them all together doesn't do anything for the expiration dates on them. It's all based on the date that each ticket is first passed through the turnstyle.
2. In order to convert child tickets to adult tickets for free, the child MUST use that ticket as a child. If you buy a child ticket today, but the child does not use that ticket at all until they are 10 you will need to pay to have that ticket upgraded to an adult ticket. If you use it even just once while they are under 10, Disney will upgrade THAT ticket to an adult ticket for free (this is current policy but as all policies, it's subject to change)

You can "upgrade" tickets without a problem usually with Disney.

Upgrades are sometimes good, sometimes bad, depending on when you do it. If you upgrade an unused ticket, you will probably be given ORIGINAL PURCHASE PRICE credit towards a new ticket. So if the ticket you want to upgrade cost $100, you will be given $100 credit towards the new ticket. BUT, if you use the ticket, so, say it's a 7 day ticket for $100. You use one day and want to upgrade it to a 10 day ticket. As long as you use a day, you will probably only have to pay the price difference between a current 7 day ticket price and a current 10 day ticket price.

Also, any new tickets you buy can only be upgraded 14 days from it's first use. So, don't buy 12 four day tickets (no expiration), use one day from each, and then next year hope to upgrade them to 10 day tickets. The 14 days will be past and you won't be able to upgrade them. They will still be good for admission, but no upgrades.

gerald72
04-17-2009, 01:48 PM
As long as at least one of the days is used before the children turn 10, the tickets don't have to be upgraded later.

rubato
04-18-2009, 09:27 AM
I'm sorry to jump on the thread, but I've had many questions about this also. I've always just bought parkhoppers for however many days we were going to be there. Now, I've been doing my research and am debating non-expiring tickets. My question is:
Is there anything wrong with buying a ton of 10day non-expiring tickets at todays prices and using them over the next 10-20 years. Are they truly non-expiring? I'm trying to talk hubby into this. Maybe 5 of these tickets for each family member. That way, we can go to DW whenever we want and only have to worry about the cost of accomodations. Is this correct? Thanks.

wdwfan
04-18-2009, 10:20 AM
Yes they are truly non-expiring. Now if Disney was to build a new park, then they would not be good for the new park, they are only good for current parks at the time you purchase.

onjbj
04-18-2009, 03:15 PM
However, in terms of buying a ton of non-expiring tickets, if you ever wanted to take advantage of any deals like free dining, you'd have to buy at least a 1 day ticket for each member of your party which then makes the non-expiring option a waste, right?

DizneyRox
04-18-2009, 03:46 PM
However, in terms of buying a ton of non-expiring tickets, if you ever wanted to take advantage of any deals like free dining, you'd have to buy at least a 1 day ticket for each member of your party which then makes the non-expiring option a waste, right?
There have been rumors of them changing the 1 day ticket loophole as well. So, currently, yes, you would need to get a 1 day ticket for a package. In the future this may change and you may need to not get tickets or you may need to get tickets = the length of your stay. It's a roll of the dice...

Polynesian Dweller
04-18-2009, 04:45 PM
Disney has a couple of legal riders you have to be careful with. First, the no-expiry is only for the services that they promised at the time you bought it. So, a new park is added you have to get a new ticket.

Second, it does not mean they cannot change other things, such as can you get DDP without buying a package. They can make that a condition.

Three, as with most companies they always say, that conditons can be change without notice.

But on top of that, the initial cost of the ticket gose up fast. For example, the cost of a 7 day ticket goes up by $110 for the no expiry option.

That can mean around 5 years to get any pay back presuming ticket prices go up at 10% a year on average. Use any part of the unused days within that 5 year period of time and you are lowering your savings.

rubato
04-18-2009, 10:27 PM
I wouldn't be doing the dining plan anyway, but do have to take the extra price vs. price increase into account. Still don't know what to do, but I'm sure we'll figure it out.

sainter
04-19-2009, 06:33 AM
I'm sorry to jump on the thread, but I've had many questions about this also. I've always just bought parkhoppers for however many days we were going to be there. Now, I've been doing my research and am debating non-expiring tickets. My question is:
Is there anything wrong with buying a ton of 10day non-expiring tickets at todays prices and using them over the next 10-20 years. Are they truly non-expiring? I'm trying to talk hubby into this. Maybe 5 of these tickets for each family member. That way, we can go to DW whenever we want and only have to worry about the cost of accomodations. Is this correct? Thanks.

The tickets do not expire if they haven't been used anyway. So if you think you would ever use all 10 days or even close to 10 in one trip, it would not be to your advantage to purchase the non-expiration option because it is so expensive and adding a day after 6 is so cheap. Does that make sense?

DizneyRox
04-19-2009, 07:09 AM
If you take many small trips as opposed to longer ones, then you might want to look at the no-expiration. If you take long trips (like >7 days) then it may not be a good choice to get the no-expiration. You'll be using a chunk of each ticket without needing the expiration coverage for those days.

What might work out better is to get just a few no expiration tickets (10 day) and use those to cover extra days each year, and get a ton of lower day (your typical vacation length) to use normally. Whenever you stay a day or two extra, whip out the no-expiration ticket to cover those.

But, it might still be cheaper to just add-on days to those tickets as you need them (if they are less than 10 day tickets). Disney policy is [currently] only to charge the difference in price between the two ticket options ONCE the ticket is used at least one day. This upgrade must be done 14 days from the first use of the ticket.

rubato
04-19-2009, 10:12 AM
The tickets do not expire if they haven't been used anyway. So if you think you would ever use all 10 days or even close to 10 in one trip, it would not be to your advantage to purchase the non-expiration option because it is so expensive and adding a day after 6 is so cheap. Does that make sense?

Makes perfect sense, or is starting to. Thanks.

rubato
04-19-2009, 10:16 AM
If you take many small trips as opposed to longer ones, then you might want to look at the no-expiration. If you take long trips (like >7 days) then it may not be a good choice to get the no-expiration. You'll be using a chunk of each ticket without needing the expiration coverage for those days.

What might work out better is to get just a few no expiration tickets (10 day) and use those to cover extra days each year, and get a ton of lower day (your typical vacation length) to use normally. Whenever you stay a day or two extra, whip out the no-expiration ticket to cover those.

But, it might still be cheaper to just add-on days to those tickets as you need them (if they are less than 10 day tickets). Disney policy is [currently] only to charge the difference in price between the two ticket options ONCE the ticket is used at least one day. This upgrade must be done 14 days from the first use of the ticket.

I didn't realize this policy. That's good to know. If my average trip is 7 days, just buy the parkhopper 7 day expiring. As long as I don't use any days, I can save this ticket for years. Then, if we want to stay 8 or 9 days, once I use the first day of my 7 day ticket, just get it upgraded a day or two? This is probably the cheapest way to go. Now, I just have to talk hubby into buying many of them. He's cheap and will see the logic, but won't want to commit to going to DW all the time (even though he loves it). Now I just need one of those amazing 40% PINs and I'll be set!!:mickey: