PDA

View Full Version : POR vs POP very confused will I enjoy POP?

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-15-2009, 05:07 PM
the last 4 years we have stayed at POR in the mansions with a quiet pool close by. This year we are taking our 2 granddaughters ages just turned 4 and 5.

We decided to go for 14 days (the longest we've ever been) and have park hopper passes for 10 days, therefore will be spending 4 days at our resort.

My question is will I be happy with the POP resort. We love to swim and usually have the quiet pool to ourselves at POR.

I've heard good things about POP but am worried that it will be too crowded for the little ones to play in the pool. Most people on here are saying that they don't stay at the resort much so it doesn't matter, but we will be using our resort alot this trip and I am concerned about being away from our favorite resort. (we are saving $1000 staying at pop)

I requested the preferred room in 6o's first floor overlooking hippy dippy pool. Is this the best location, I have knee problems and first floor and less walking would be preferable.

Please convince me we made the right decision!:confused:

Pop Centurion
04-15-2009, 06:57 PM
The Hippy Dippy Pool does tend to get crowded depending on the time of day/night. Since you said you'll be spending a lot of time at the resort I'm sure you'll find times when it's not so crowded when most others are at the parks. The icons and bright colors everywhere are sure to excite your granddaughters and keep them amazed which a plus as far as Pop goes IMO. Even the food court seems to keep kids from getting bored as they have some TV's throughout that play the Dis channel and they'll love the fact that they can get icee's in their refillable mugs (if you purchase)
All in all I feel Pop is much more kid friendly than POR. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

AuntDJ
04-15-2009, 07:59 PM
I love this topic!! I too am used to the moderate (POFQ), and to save $$ this trip it is going to be Pop!

I can stay at pop with the dining plan for the same price as pofq room only!

I know it is the right thing to do financially, but I am so worried about pop...keep the good stuff coming!

DJ

Pally
04-15-2009, 08:57 PM
This will be our first stay also at a value resort, POP- Aug 26-Sept 2. We just could not pass up on the free DDP. Although, just like some above we were hesitant to try value. Since asking around, we have gotten pretty good reviews. This will also be our first time using Disney transportation. We are definitely going on the skinny this year. Fortunately, I bought US$ when it was less than par and stashed it away for when a good deal came along. :woohoo:

MickeyandTink
04-15-2009, 10:12 PM
This will be our third year in a row to stay at POP. We think it's great! ::number1:

The rooms themselves are a bit small, but fine for sleeping and bathing. The theming is fun, the pools are nothing fancy, but very large and kid-friendly. There is a nice poolside bar, and the food is really good.

The buses aren't too bad. Since it's a value, it's a fair distance from the parks but we usually are able to get to any of them in under 30 minutes from the time we get in line until we hit the front gate. The exception would be either early in the day (around park opening) and returning around park closing. During those times, the total time can stretch to 45 mins or more.

For the several hundred dollars we save by staying at a value compared to a moderate, we can stay a couple of extra days and still have a few more dollars left in our pockets. :thumbsup:

GrmGrninGost
04-15-2009, 10:46 PM
My family loves POP! We have been several times and never had a bad experience. We have also stayed at POR a couple of times and really liked it also! In all honesty, if money is no object ( and for us it always is! ) we would always stay at a deluxe. If we couldn't swing that, then a moderate. But, I would rather stay at POP on WDW property than a 5 star hotel off property!

Belster
04-15-2009, 11:22 PM
First of all you absolutly requested in my opinion the BEST place at Pop to stay!!!!!! We always request 60s outside of the Hippy Dippy Pool.

We LOVE pop. As you can see from my signature I have stayed only delux prior to Pop. We always have a few days to spare on our trip and really enjoy Pop. There are several pools even a kiddie pool. The resort is very whimsicle the children will love to walk around and look at all of the figures and such. The arcade is fun, fun, fun. I love their shop and the food court is great!!!! I even enjoy the lobby, where sometimes they have a little dance party going on for the kids.

Additionally, the bus system is Pop only so you do not have that trip from place to place.

We are staying at CSR for our next trip because we were a bit tight in the room last time...but I have been thinking about moving to Pop, I will miss it.

The only thing that I don't care for is that the beds are small.

Hope this helps!!

dancin Disney style
04-16-2009, 10:39 AM
We have stayed at POFQ and POP. In fact we stayed at POP for 2 weeks this past July. I agree with your room request except I would ask for NON poolside. The pool is noisey until late at night which could be a bother.

The kids will love POP much better than POR. Everything is bright and fun. There is almost a party feel everywhere. We just loved it. Even though we did prefer the room at POFQ the atmosphere at POP is not to be missed. The adults will love the nostalgia.

joonyer
04-16-2009, 06:58 PM
There are too other big pools at POP that are usually not nearly as crowded as the Hippy Dippy Pool.
One shaped like a bowling pin (in the 50's section) and another that is supposed to be a laptop computer screen (down (by the 80's-90's), plus there is a kiddie pool and also a kids splash and play area. And your grandkids will love exploring all the giant icons. Pop is a very colorful, visually stimulating resort. Kids love it.

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-16-2009, 08:20 PM
Thanks for the replies, it is making me feel better.
Just curious, is there rooms that overlook the splash pad? Any room numbers available, and would it still be close to the food court/drink station, bus stops?

LVT
04-18-2009, 06:31 PM
If you get the plus options on the Park Hopper
tickets you could easily fill the other days with
the water parks and Disney Quest.

georger
04-18-2009, 07:55 PM
Just my opinion but for the difference in $$$ I would choose Pop. We are going back this August and staying at Pop for the second time (our 1st trip was in 2006). Last September we stayed at POR and it was nice but I was very disappointed in the bus service...we had lots of LONG waits while I saw numerous Pop buses pass us by as we waited for a POR bus with two grumpy, tired little boys!

dreamfinder55
04-18-2009, 08:33 PM
In February 2008 we stayed at POP and we had a room that overlooked the splash pads in the 60's area. I'm sorry, but I don't remember our room number though.

Georgesgirl1
04-18-2009, 10:21 PM
DH and I have stayed at POP and POR. We liked POP better. The rooms aren't quite as big and the pools got a little more crowded during the day than at POR, but for the price difference it was well worth it for us!

gamblefamily5
04-18-2009, 10:39 PM
We have only stayed at Values before so I can't compare the two but my kids love the playground at PoP and also love the Twister game painted on the ground! Oh, and they:mickey: also love to play on the huge computer keyboard painted on the ground! This place is SO much fun!

hauntedmansiongirl
04-19-2009, 03:02 PM
We have stayed a few times at both POR and POP, and can safely say that you will love POP. The only big difference is the rooms are a bit smaller, you have to pay for a fridge if you want one, and it is noisier in the early morning (esp. 7am to 9am).

The food courts are comparable- both are great. You'll love the "TV dinners" at suppertime!

The splash pad with Goofy and the Corvette are are in between the 60s and 70s building. It is very nice, but pretty small- not really a place that a child would spend hours. However, there is a playground near there as well, so you could hit the 2 spots at one time.

If you're going to be spending a lot of time at the resort, make sure you check out the other pools. The Hippy Dippy pool is always crazy- it's central and has the pool bar, but the other two are much quieter. The computer pool over in the 80s-90s section is usually a ghost town. The bowling pin pool over in the 50s is fun too- they have a massive jukebox playing mostly 50s music all day long (not good when you're in the 50s building trying to sleep in- it plays from 8am to 10pm every day, but charming at all other times).

I promise you that you'll have a great time and won't be disappointed. Like a previous poster, I would ask for another room away from the Hippy Dippy pool, unless noise really doesn't bother you. Have a great trip!! :mickey:

gamblefamily5
04-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Just wondering which one you decided on?:rocks:

LiloLovesTheKing26
04-27-2009, 10:32 PM
I personally did not care for Pop. I also did not care for the All Stars either. They were just too small, too crowded, too loud, too many kids in the pool, everything was too far apart. I prefer POR and POFQ sooooo much more! It's worth the extra $$$$ to me! Especially for POFQ. Everything is close together and sooo much quieter. Plus they have a hot tub which is soooo relaxing at the end of the day.

Mousemates
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
We have stayed at the pop and had a great time...yes, it can be a bit noisy sometimes, but its generally kid noise...which means lots of children having fun...your kids will join in and add to the noise and have a great time in the process.

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-28-2009, 07:13 AM
We decided on POP. Afterall this is a trip for the kids, and we are willing to try something different. Was just concerned that with spending 14 days the resort would be very important to us. Thank you so much for all the imput. i am looking forward to staying at POP. We have requested the ground floor faceing the hippy dippy pool.:number1:

Magic Smiles
04-28-2009, 07:29 AM
If you get the plus options on the Park Hopper
tickets you could easily fill the other days with
the water parks and Disney Quest.
I was just about to suggest the same thing. And if you have a car rental there are lots of things to do. Even without a car rental you can always tour the other resorts - grab a bite to eat at another resort even.

KayDee
04-28-2009, 08:57 AM
I do see that you say you have decided on POP but I feel I must say. Values have smaller rooms no fridge and no double sinks. Also sound travels much better at the values.Considering the length of time you are staying I would recomend a mod but prehaps you could do a split stay.