PDA

View Full Version : Best Park in the Rain?

merlinmagic4
04-15-2009, 04:00 PM
Okay, it looks like it might be raining on my daughter's birthday (Monday). We've never really been there for a rainy day.........ever. So, which park is best in the rain?

MidnTPK
04-15-2009, 04:13 PM
Future World at Epcot: longer duration attractions keep you indoors and out of the rain.

You can spend hours, if necessary, in Innoventions.

SSE takes 15 minutes and has the post show area where you can kill another 30.

The Seas: short ride, but another easy place to spend an hour exploring the exhibits and sea life, plus TT with Crush.

The Land: Soarin, Living with the Land, Circle of Life...all under one roof.

JIYI has HISTA and a post show.

Test Track has another linger-able post show, as does MS.

And UofE is another 45 minutes out of the rain and on an attraction.

deedeenmickey
04-15-2009, 05:04 PM
I think Studios is a good park in the rain. You can see the shows in the rain and ride RNR, TSM, TOT, The great movie ride, Star Tours, everything except LMA Stunt Show and Fantasmic, I don't think Indiana Jones operates in the rain and maybe not BatB.

badkitty
04-15-2009, 05:37 PM
Future World at Epcot: longer duration attractions keep you indoors and out of the rain.

You can spend hours, if necessary, in Innoventions.

SSE takes 15 minutes and has the post show area where you can kill another 30.

The Seas: short ride, but another easy place to spend an hour exploring the exhibits and sea life, plus TT with Crush.

The Land: Soarin, Living with the Land, Circle of Life...all under one roof.

JIYI has HISTA and a post show.

Test Track has another linger-able post show, as does MS.

And UofE is another 45 minutes out of the rain and on an attraction.

Agree with Midn TPK. EPCOT is easy to do in the rain. I would also say MK since Fantasyland queues are covered and close together. Plus there is POTC, HM, CoP, TTA (unless it is down for SpM rehab when you go). The crowds are thinner in the rain.

GoofyMom09
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
I have experienced every park in the rain. It rained every day of my honeymoon!:D I picked MK because at Epcot everything seems more spaced out and you can get really drenched walking from place to place. At MK you could focus your group to a certain area and just jump from one ride to another. Plus, the rain should thin out the crowds. Splash Mountain is really fun in the rain.

marylynne95
04-15-2009, 07:27 PM
I voted epcot but agree that MK would also be a good choice.

illini
04-15-2009, 08:07 PM
Another vote for Epcot because of the longer queues/rides.

MK works well, too, though.

Love of Disney
04-15-2009, 08:22 PM
I would have to agree with Epcot. Although, last July we spent part of the day there in the pouring rain and it wasn't much fun at all :( We ended up leaving early. Good luck and hopefully the sun will shine for you!!
:cool:

Marilyn Michetti
04-15-2009, 09:01 PM
I just think the dense foliage in AK keeps the severe rain off you more than being out in the open.

It really doesn't matter all that much - just have a poncho on board and have fun.:)

iluvdumbo
04-15-2009, 09:48 PM
For my mom and I, we always attract rain when we go to WDW!! Out of all of the parks, I would probably say that MK is the best park:

1. When you are in EPCOT, things are so spaced out that you will get drenched walking from place to place.

2. AK, the animals might not even be out because of the rain and everything is outside

3. MGM (Or Hollywood Studios, we call it MGM still), there is a lot of outside time, but if you want to go there, you might not get as wet!

Just felt like putting in my opinion! :minnie:

DANAM
04-15-2009, 10:11 PM
Unfortunatly, we have done all parks in the rain. Our last two trips have been very rainny. Animal Kingdom is the one we go to in the rain. Almost every path is tree covered so it keeps the poaring rain from a direct hit to your body or poncho plus no one seems to come here in the rain. We did ALL of AK by 5pm twice due to the rain. We wear poncho's and carry an umbrella. We take the poncho's off so we can breath during shows and if it storming when we come out we have out umbrella. Beiside all that AK is so nice in the rain the whole park takes on a different feel plus with no one there it's like your at the park by yourself.

kemps@wdw
04-15-2009, 10:20 PM
All of them!! :thumbsup: We never let the rain deter us in our quest for WDW fun. (unless there's lightning). Grab the ponchos and go take advantage of shorter lines. Everyone should play out in the rain every now and then!

MickeyandTink
04-15-2009, 11:03 PM
I voted MK, but Epcot also can be a good place (depending where you are) It rained while we were in Tomorrowland last year and we were able to ride Buzz 3 times and catch the Monsters, Inc. Laugh Factory, all in less than an hour. By the time, the sun was coming back out.

As for the worst place, I would say AK. There are really no inside places hide out (except for Nemo and Lion King), and even then it's only for the show.

GrmGrninGost
04-15-2009, 11:18 PM
Rain, shine, sleet or snow, it's MK for me! :mickey:

dmosher
04-16-2009, 05:26 AM
EPCOT all the way. I talked to a guy who worked on the paving crew and design team for this park (years ago) and he confirmed that there are areas in the concrete that collect small puddles of water. These were placed there on purpose and designed for "splash puddles". I didn't believe it either, but try it when you see them. They are designed perfectly to splash at the perfect angle for a splash fight if you know what to do. Sweet!
:pipes:
D

yjgirl32
04-16-2009, 08:30 AM
I would have to say any of the parks would be manageable in the rain. Epcot's world showcase would be a good choice- Mk would be good to go from ride to ride- them being close together. DHS most of the rides are indoors and the shows- and Ak because the animils will be out and moving around. Plus the crowds might be lower. Good luck with your decision.

SBETigg
04-16-2009, 09:17 AM
We actually liked AK best in the rain. There were no lines anywhere. The heat and sun were not a problem. The animals were all out and very active. We had our best visit to the AK on a rainy day.

thejens
04-17-2009, 11:28 PM
We went to Typhoon Lagoon on a cloudy morning and it soon began to rain. We were already wet and the kids were having a ball. Most people left the park. The rain subsided and eventually the sun came out. It was most tranquil and there were no lines! This is a risky strategy since I imagine they would close the park if there were thunder and lightening, but it worked out beautifully for us!

mymickeymouse
04-18-2009, 02:19 AM
not just because MGM is my favorite park, but there is a certain air about the park when it rains, sort of like Gene Kelly in Dancing in the Rain; I love it when it rains and everybody leaves, i get to ride all the rides i want; is:blush: that selfish?

SBETigg
04-18-2009, 09:12 AM
We went to Typhoon Lagoon on a cloudy morning and it soon began to rain. We were already wet and the kids were having a ball. Most people left the park. The rain subsided and eventually the sun came out. It was most tranquil and there were no lines! This is a risky strategy since I imagine they would close the park if there were thunder and lightening, but it worked out beautifully for us!

We were just leaving TL on a rainy day when the first rumbles of thunder started. As we were headed to the bus, an alarm sounded. I guess it is a sound to indicate the park is closing due to weather, or maybe guests just have to leave the water? Not sure. But they are very careful with it. As we were boarding our bus, a tremendous rush of people was leaving the park, headed for the buses. We were so glad we finished our time there and got the jump on them or it might have been a long wait.