PDA

View Full Version : Towel Animals at Resort Hotels

missymouseworld
04-14-2009, 05:16 PM
A quick question to anyone out there who might know....are you suppose to leave the towel animals for the next guests when you checkout or are they for you to take?

DANAM
04-14-2009, 05:30 PM
We have always taken ours. But I do wonder if we should have since they were made of wash cloths. I wonder what other people do?

RedSoxFan
04-14-2009, 06:06 PM
We left ours in the room.

Zippy 1
04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
We also left ours much to DD dismay!

Darbylew
04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
We leave them most of the time. A few times
we have brought the ones home that are made
out of wash cloths. I am not sure if it is ok or
not to take them. :confused:
BEEN THERE, DONE THAT AND GOING BACK IN
NOVEMBER!!!!!!!:D

IamBelle
04-14-2009, 06:27 PM
We have always left them, but we took pictures of them before we left!! (BTW, I love how they sometimes display them in the windows!)

junedis
04-14-2009, 06:32 PM
:mickey:We actually kept ours as I don't think they could have been disassembled. Our mousekeeper made the most beautiful doll and butterfly. Both had embellishments glued on to add to the decoration. It was a real treat for our kids!

SBETigg
04-14-2009, 07:13 PM
If they're just folded towels, we don't take. If they have embellishments hot-glued on, I consider that they may not be good as towels any longer and we think about taking them home. The only time we did actually take them, they were two wash cloths glued into bunny shapes with eyes and ribbons and we couldn't resist.

Followthatmouse
04-14-2009, 07:21 PM
We received a beautiful swan last year. As it was two hotel hand towels rolled together, we left it. We felt that taking the swan would be stealing hotel property. At any rate, the swan was fragile and would not have survived the long trip home.

elmjimmlm
04-14-2009, 07:25 PM
We have always left them, but we took pictures of them before we left!!

Same with us but when we were there in Dec. they put eye and mouth stickers on them but I still couldn't take them...I think this year I will have to reconsider leaving them there...;)

aurora, ariel, and bell
04-14-2009, 07:28 PM
Do only certain hotel do this? We have been many times to POR and never received any, we are taking our granddaughters in September to POP so maybe we will see some then?

Mousemates
04-14-2009, 07:38 PM
We've had towel animals at all levels of accomodations...deluxes, mods, and values...but we've also lacked towel animals at all levels...i think it just kind of depends on your mousekeepers.

GINNY69
04-14-2009, 07:42 PM
I took my towel animals home last year. I thought they were for us to keep as a momento of our vacation. I also left a extra tip for Mousekeeping and asked for some towel animals because it was my sons birthday and I thought he would love have them in the room when we came back from the parks. To my surprise when we came back that evening we had 5 towel animals and with a birthday wish from our mousekeeper. Some of the animals did have hot glue on them.

Buddy08
04-14-2009, 07:44 PM
We had a beautiful swan in our room last time. It never occurred to me to take it. I kind of wish I had.:vacation::noevil:

TheVBs
04-14-2009, 08:25 PM
The first couple times we found them in the room, we left them, because we just weren't sure. Then I asked Mousekeeping on our last trip and they told me we were welcome to take them or leave them, whatever we wanted. So I took those. :cloud9:

rkwctw
04-14-2009, 08:35 PM
We have always taken pictures and left them. But if Mousekeeping says they are ok to take we might think about it.

cindchan
04-14-2009, 08:44 PM
The only thing I take is a picture of it. ^_^

I've never seen one glued. The ones I've seen were rubber-banded into shape and had eye stickers on them.

Leighler
04-14-2009, 08:47 PM
has anyone received these without tipping mousekeeping or is it generally done after you tip them?

DisneyPrincess21
04-14-2009, 08:48 PM
A quick question to anyone out there who might know....are you suppose to leave the towel animals for the next guests when you checkout or are they for you to take?

Good luck with getting a good answer on this one. This is a very hot debate topic on intercot, So be prepared for plenty of conflicting answer's. First to answer your question on if you are suppose to leave them for next guest, There wasn't any towel creatures in my room when I checked in.
And secondly, I personally have taken the two that were in my room, Because I have talked to alot of people that said they have personally spoken with management at the hotel and they have been told they are meant to be gifts. I have even heard a story of when a person left their towel creatures in their room and their maid actually ran after them and told them they forgot their gift. So it's basically whatever you feel. I have heard they are made out of old towels and wash clothes, And I would assume that if they didn't want anyone to take them, Then they would let that rule be known or just simply not make them at all. So it's up to you. Good luck with the other posters. :balloon:

TikiLounger
04-14-2009, 09:21 PM
Well, we've only gotten them once...at CBR. We just assumed they were meant to be gifts and we took them home. My daughter still has hers in her bedroom. :tikki:

kemps@wdw
04-14-2009, 09:26 PM
We have taken a couple of the smaller ones home w/us. They had glued-on embellishments and we just couldn't resist! :D The larger ones we just photographed w/our DD and left them there. I think they figure guests will usually take some home..don't you?

pixiesmimi
04-14-2009, 11:17 PM
The first on site resort we stayed in we had connected rooms with our DD and her family. They had towel animals in their room all week but we never had any in our room and we had the same mousekeeper. When we stayed at CBR, we only had one small rabbit left on our bedside table that stayed all week. But we didn't take any because we didn't think we were supposed to. We may take one the next time if others here say they were told to. I think it is the luck of the draw if you get any.

DizneyRox
04-15-2009, 06:05 AM
I think it is the luck of the draw if you get any.I must have bad luck. Been going since '94 and have yet to see even one towel animal. I don't bother with the wash cloths though, the bigger towels are more useful for washing cars, cleaning up around the house, etc.

Got them every day on DCL and we didn't take them.

FenwayGirl
04-15-2009, 10:17 AM
We had a few last year...took them all home as they had been glued together and had drawings on them. The kids still have them on display in their rooms.

#1donaldfan
04-15-2009, 12:58 PM
...we take 'em .... they are made for our pleasure and hit or miss, if they're in our room, left by our mousekeeper, then I think of it as going over and above work in the room and I'm more inclined to tip a little more...right or wrong, I'm not debating that.....

missymouseworld
04-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Thanks for the replies. I really wasn't sure what to do.

One of the posters asked if the animals were there after we left a tip....we
had them beforehand because we left a tip at the end of the week.

My DD and DS insisted we take the easter basket with the bunny and the teddy bear, which both had glued on flowers and glitter glue on them. We left the other 2 animals for her to give to other guests.

I hope everyone else gets to enjoy their animals.

EeyoresBestFriend
04-15-2009, 03:27 PM
We have been really lucky and got them most times we have stayed on site. :cloud9: I asked our Mousekeeper if we could buy one and she laughed and said we were welcome to keep them as remembrances of our trip. DH and I each picked one and left the rest ( we had over 9 of them from swans to dolls) They were beautiful!! When we took my parents down for their 50th anniversary, they had a beautiful set of swans that beak to beak formed a heart. After a chat with the mousekeeper, they now reside on the headboard of my parents bed at home! :mickey:
I would always ask first if I really am taken with one, but we have left most of ours for others to enjoy like the works of art that they are. :)

MickeyandTink
04-15-2009, 10:14 PM
It's been hit or miss for us. The first year, we never had any in our room. However, when we were at the Poly for dinner one night, one of the ladies there made a towel bunny for our DD as a gift. It was one of DD's favorit memories.

Last year, we ended up with 5 or 6 in our room by the time we left. We let the kids each take one, and left the rest for future guests.

Our feeling is they are part of the magic and are meant to be special souveniers for the guests. It's one of the reasons we prefer to stay on property.

Maryutigger1
04-15-2009, 10:33 PM
:( I have to say in all the years we've gone to WDW we've NEVER gotten ANY towel animals:confused:...We've been going since 1996-2004 staying @ ASS. Even since we joined DVC in 2005 (home resort SSR&S) we STILL never had any towel animals....Needless to say, I'm really feeling cheated (and sad). We're going down on 4/28 for DH 54th B-Day
Celebration~~should we ASK for some (I thought I saw that on an earlier post?)

Just Wondering~
Thanks in Advance,
Maryutigger

missymouseworld
04-16-2009, 06:56 AM
Don't feel bad, after going to WDW and staying on site almost everytime, this is the first time we received any towel animals. I guess it depends on the mousekeeper. I think you will have a nice vacation regardless.

MickeyMousse
04-16-2009, 10:14 AM
This past trip we received one during our entire stay, and it was on our bed when we checked in. Not much of a "towel animal"...just 3 rolled handtowels arranged as a Mickey icon.

We left it on the bed until it was bedtime....then just added them to the towels in the bathroom.

dancin Disney style
04-16-2009, 10:24 AM
We have had a few towel critters and as others have said it's hit or miss. The best one we had was in our room, at POFQ, upon arrival. It sort of looked like Minnie and it was the size of a build-a-bear. We just took pictures of it. My DD wanted to take it but I said no....really what would she do with it anyway???? Later that week the mousekeeper left a little critter party set up in the window. That was a really great surprise. She had the towel Minnie plus my DDs animals all arranged.

At ASMu we had a Mickey head on our bed when we arrived at the resort. Also, took pictures of that one. It was just loose towels twisted into the 3 circles. Still a nice surprise.

At POP we seemed to be the only room around us that had no towel critters in the window. My DD had some princess window clings to decorate with and after she displayed them we got a tiny washcloth bunny left on the night stand.

We have also stayed at other places that left no critters for us or any other guests.

Normally, we don't leave tips but we have tipped to try and get critters when we had none. Which, BTW, didn't work.