PDA

View Full Version : a good Italian restaurant

motherof4
04-14-2009, 09:19 AM
I am Italian and used to good Italian food. I am yet to find a good Italian restaurant in Disney we have tried the one in epcot the new one and then old one didn't care fore either one. I was thinking about Tony's has any ever been there.?

DVC2004
04-14-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm not in love with any of the Italian food at WDW- and I love Italian food. I would say Mama Melrose is my favorite of the choices- but that being said I would say if possible go offsite to Maggianos. I think it's on I drive. We have it here where I live and it's excellent.
I normally wouldn't recommend venturing off property and I usually do't myself but Maggianos is very good. Has a nice balance of pasta and meat dishes.

Tony's I didn't care for at all. It is very "northern"- lots of meat dishes. I prefer "southern" Italian- cheese and more cheese and pasta.

MOJoe
04-14-2009, 10:29 AM
I've never heard Tony's described as a "good Italian restaurant."

For real Italian food at WDW, you can go to Il Mulino at the Swan. It's not on the dining plan, and is priced similar to Disney Signature Dining venues.

SBETigg
04-14-2009, 10:30 AM
Have you tried Il Mulino at the Swan? That one is supposed to be very good. Tony's will definitely not do it for you. I'm not saying it's bad. There are people who have enjoyed it. But if you're Italian and used to good Italian food, Tony's probably is not for you.

MississippiDisneyFreak
04-14-2009, 11:28 AM
Stay away from Tony's, it will disappoint.

Septbride2002
04-14-2009, 11:51 AM
I also advise against Tony's. I'm pretty easy when it comes to Italian food and I didn't like Tony's.

~Amanda

PlutoPlanet
04-14-2009, 12:00 PM
Tony's reminded us of Papa Gino's (you're from MA, so I'll use the local reference.)
There are lots of good restaurants in WDW.
We have not found an Italian one we like at WDW.

#1donaldfan
04-14-2009, 12:08 PM
...come on you guys...Tony's is not THAT bad...I mean, really, how does one mess up a simple pasta dish....it's good food, in a GREAT location, and has atmosphere to spare....two out of three make it a good place to try, right ??:mickey:

marlaine
04-14-2009, 12:10 PM
We're Italian too--I really like the atmosphere of Mama Melrose. The food is pretty good. They make an attempt to be authentic. I've always enjoyed it. (Their Moz and Tomato salad is great and so is their Bread and Spreads appetizer).
Tony's surprised me. It was much better than the reviews I've read. I had a huge steak and my husband had some kind of seafood pasta. It was not on our list of places to eat, but it turned out pretty good.
We're going to both again this Sept.
Neither one of these restaurants are "Olive Garden" Italian. Their not good, homemade Chicago Italian, but they're good!:tasty:

lockedoutlogic
04-14-2009, 12:19 PM
My advice: don't go to WDW for italian.....

not only are the sitdowns mediocre.....whatever they pass off as pizza should have a hazmat label on it....

The only place we frequented for italian (when living there) was Cafe D'Antonio in Celebration....

But still.....northeasterners are far better skipping the Italiano at WDW and eating it at home.....

for those that think Pizza Hut is "good italian".....definitely go to Il Mulino or Tuotto Italia

JRocker
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
for those that think Pizza Hut is "good italian".....definitely go to Il Mulino or Tuotto Italia
Speaking of "poquito manners"...

For myself, Tony's is good food, but it is definately not good italian food. Is there like an American-Italian designation, kinda like Tex-Mex?

Rosanne
04-14-2009, 12:49 PM
Stay away from Tony's or any Disney Italian for that matter!

I remember when we were little my brother ordered spaghetti and meatballs at Tony's and when he took a big bite into his meal he started crying. "This isn't pasta, Mommy! This doesn't taste like Nonna's!"

Haha. If you're used to "real" Italian, wait until you can go home and have Nonna's!

Stu29573
04-14-2009, 01:05 PM
Tony's isn't bad at all. Is it the best, most authentic, Italian ever? No, but it's not nearly as bad as people would have you believe. I look at it the same way that I look at Mexican food. Because I'm from Texas, we have some of the most rockin' Mexican and Tex-Mex in the world. Do I expect to get that at WDW? Nope. Not even close. However, if I want a decent attempt, I can find it.
Anyway, back to Tony's... I like the food and the location can't be beat. Also, the wife is a Lady and the Tramp fan, so we can't go wrong there.

lockedoutlogic
04-14-2009, 01:13 PM
Speaking of "poquito manners"...

For myself, Tony's is good food, but it is definately not good italian food. Is there like an American-Italian designation, kinda like Tex-Mex?

so you disagree?

hey...i like a good pan pizza every now and then myself....but it's not "good italian food" by any stretch.

Because I say it....it doesn't make it any less true:thedolls:

PixieMagic
04-14-2009, 05:40 PM
The Italy pavilion's Italian is far superior to Tony's and that isn't saying much....after our last trip I wont even waste my Free Dining with Tony's! LMAO :secret:

DestinationWDW
04-14-2009, 08:46 PM
:unsure: We keep on trying Tony's, WANTING to like it....the last time we were in Feb. I had the pasta primavera and like most posters keep stating..."it wasn't great"....if you have never been there I would try it once for the experience. But I agree with Pixie Magic....I don't think I'd ever go again , now even with the Free Dining Plan...just mediocre for us.

LandFan
04-14-2009, 09:07 PM
:unsure: But I agree with Pixie Magic....I don't think I'd ever go again , now even with the Free Dining Plan...just mediocre for us.

I totally agree!:sick:

JPL
04-14-2009, 09:55 PM
Italian Food at WDW :sick::ack::sick:

Maggianos as an alternative :sick:

Just stay away from both :ack:

Disney_Barbie
04-15-2009, 12:16 PM
For real Italian food at WDW, you can go to Il Mulino at the Swan. It's not on the dining plan, and is priced similar to Disney Signature Dining venues.

Agreed. Il Mulino would DEF rank as our #1 Italain eatery in WDW.

Tony's had a great atmoshphere (granted we ate outside and it was a PERFECT night) but the food was ... good enough, but nothing to rave about. Tony's is our fav sit-down in the MK, but that doesn't say much. (we're NOT fans of MK resturants)
We would not go back to Mama Melrose on a bet!

jcvalenti
04-15-2009, 01:09 PM
I'm Italian, and also a lover of Italian food.

Alfredo's used to be a decent experience, but Tutto Italia is severely disappointing.

The only Italian restaurant I can recommend at Epcot is Il Mulino, which is very good. It has great food, and an even better wine list. Also, and I think this is a huge plus, it isn't part of the dining plan, so you can actually get reservations there.

Mama Melrose's is good, too, but I wouldn't really call that italian food. It's fast food Italian, at best.

EJS-Houston
04-15-2009, 02:00 PM
Have you tried Il Mulino at the Swan? That one is supposed to be very good. Tony's will definitely not do it for you. I'm not saying it's bad. There are people who have enjoyed it. But if you're Italian and used to good Italian food, Tony's probably is not for you.

I've not been to Il Mulino myself, but two friends that I travelled with two years ago went, and had nothing good to say about it.

EJS-Houston
04-15-2009, 02:01 PM
We're Italian too--I really like the atmosphere of Mama Melrose. The food is pretty good. They make an attempt to be authentic. I've always enjoyed it. (Their Moz and Tomato salad is great and so is their Bread and Spreads appetizer).
Tony's surprised me. It was much better than the reviews I've read. I had a huge steak and my husband had some kind of seafood pasta. It was not on our list of places to eat, but it turned out pretty good.
We're going to both again this Sept.
Neither one of these restaurants are "Olive Garden" Italian. Their not good, homemade Chicago Italian, but they're good!:tasty:

While I wouldn't say that Mama Melrose is the equal of a restaurant in Italy, it's one of our favorites in WDW and probably your best bet for Italian food there.

PETE FROM NYC
04-15-2009, 07:03 PM
What is called Italian food in Florida is an insult to my Italian heritage and upbringing.
Years back ,my late genuine Sicilian Grandmother lived in the area.Her request , for anyone coming for a visit,was for ten pounds of sausage from her butcher on Long island.
Grandma taught me how to cook.

Hull-onian
04-15-2009, 07:25 PM
Being able to go to the North end for a great Italian meal, nothing in Disney comes close.

PETE FROM NYC
04-21-2009, 03:56 PM
I just realized the way for a fellow Italian to seek out decent Italian cuisine.
Write down on a piece of paper the following words.
RICOTTA
MANICOTTI
CALAMARI
Now, if they pronounce these terms incorrectly,do an about face .

buzz49
04-22-2009, 03:34 AM
In the first few years that EPCOT opened, Alfredo's in The World Showcase had the best Italian bar none. The menu items and the service were outstanding. We dined at Alfredo's just about every time we visited. Sadly, over time the food and the service began to decline. Apparently the management and the Chefs were replaced. The result was sub-par food and terrible service and at higher prices. The last time we dined there the best items were no longer on the menu. It's no surprise that they closed and replaced by another restaurant . On occasions we stayed outside the park on the motel strip. After eating at many of the restaurants on the strip we found a small Italian restaurant at 3624 W. Vine St. called Giuseppe's Italian Restaurant. The food, Decor, and Service were excellent. We probably dined there a couple of dozen times with the same good results.Being a native Floridian my family and I frequented Disney World several times a year since it opened in October,1971. We also became Vacation Club members when they were first offered. We would travel outside the park in search of places to dine. Regrettably, I moved out west to Arizona and miss the magic of Disney World. I hope to someday return to Florida, the place that love and to the magic of Walt Disney World.