PDA

View Full Version : Haven't been to Disney World since 2005, so what's new?

forever a child
04-12-2009, 04:06 PM
My Daughter and I have not been to Disney World (Orlando) since April of 2005. Well, I am hoping to be able to make another trip in December of 2009. So what's new?
We have never been during the month of December, usually just during Spring or Summer Break. What is the weather like and what should we expect for lines? Any suggestions/help is appreciated. We will probably stay at POR unless for some crazy reason I think I can swing Animal Kingdom (but probably not). Thank you everyone!:mickey:

Beast_fanatic
04-12-2009, 06:07 PM
What's new? Quite a bit. I'm sure someone else can cover that in good detail.

As far as crowds in December, it depends on when exactly you go. Up until about the 20th or so of December, the crowds are probably classified as moderate most days although they have definitely grown over the last few years. The closer you get to Christmas, the larger the crowds grow, and the week between Christmas and New Year's is typically the most crowded week of the year.

Weather in December is variable. It can be 80 degrees one day and 40 the next, so you have to plan for all possibilities and pack accordingly. My first trip in December, we wore shorts and tees all week. My next trip, I wore jeans all week except one day, and most days I needed a sweatshirt and/or jacket. And, on my most recent trip, it was a combination of the two.

There are a lot of special Christmas activities that go on that month that are a lot of fun and make it a very festive time to be at the world.

dmosher
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
If you can swing a deluxe for the Christmas season, I recommend Wilderness Lodge. I have seen most of the resorts during this time and it is the most spectacular and warmly festive place.

As far as what has changed, the list is huge. Many things have opened, reopened, closed and been refurbished. It will sound like cheating but I would say pick up a Guide book now (I can recommend the perfect one if you msg me... really!) order the vacation DVD and check out the new stuff!
Drop me a line if you want specifics on parks, activities, etc.
:pipes:
D

forever a child
04-13-2009, 09:39 AM
Thanks for the replies. During the holiday season sounds like an interesting time to go to WDW. It probably wouldnt be my first choice by my DD is in competitive swimming and she only gets a few weeks off a year with no practice. August might be another choice...but so far I'm leaning toward Dec. I'll keep reading the boards to learn and I did just order and receive the dvd. thanks again for responding:mickey: