PDA

View Full Version : No desert

ransam
04-12-2009, 04:24 AM
i was wondering. I'm going to DIsney in december and trying hard to lose weight.. instead of a desert, will resturants allow us to substitute an appetizer instead? a salad or something?

gerald72
04-12-2009, 05:28 AM
There are no deserts in Florida.

Seasonscraps
04-12-2009, 06:56 AM
You can order a salad or appetizer but it will have to be an out of pocket expense since it is not included nor can it be substituted on the dining plan.

DizneyRox
04-12-2009, 07:16 AM
The above is correct. The DDP includes dessert, not appetizers. THey are VERY strict about substitutions and the policy is NO SUBSTITUTIONS.

But, there's nothing stopping you from ordering an app if you are on the DDP. You'll get it included with the bill for the tip at the end of your meal.

TheRustyScupper
04-12-2009, 07:48 AM
1) DDP does not allow appetizers in lieu of dessert.
2) Appetizers cost more than desserts
. . . more labor to create the appy
. . . made in-house instead of frequently purchased in bulk
. . . more customization requested by guests
. . . slows table turnover as checks can be prepared during dessert
3) If you are on a diet, just give the dessert to a neighboring table.

Madame Leona
04-12-2009, 08:33 AM
I thought I saw on a few of the menus that fresh fruit is offered as a dessert. Or, you could order the dessert, take a couple of bites then pour salt over the rest. You've already paid for it so you aren't wasting money.

Dulcee
04-12-2009, 08:40 AM
Many restaurants offer some sort of fruit or sorbet as desserts which can be low fat options. Most will also offer a sugar free choice that can be a lower cal option. If you still want to get your money's worth on the dining plan those options may be your best bet. We often get our desserts to go and have them for breafast the next day. May not be the best weight loss strategy but it helps break it up a bit.

Simba's Mom
04-12-2009, 10:57 AM
This is an example of what I dislike about the DDP-it's VERY inflexible! Several years ago, when appetizers were included, a woman at the next table to me wanted to order 2 appetizers instead of an appetizer and an entree. She said that she just wasn't that hungry. The server checked with his manager, who stated that the DDP policy is absolutely no substitutions. This also happened at another resturant that week, but by then I knew the answer! Sure enough, it's a waste of money and food, sometimes, but NO substitutions!

dancin Disney style
04-12-2009, 11:48 AM
All the restaurants will make special items when people have dietary issues. You must inform them at least 24 hours ahead. They do have sugar free options and many resturants offer fruit plates.

Polynesian Dweller
04-12-2009, 05:11 PM
Although people are correct about it seeming to be very inflexible there is a reason for the no subsitutions. Appetizers are much more expensive for restaurants to handle. They can't be stored, have to be made same day or at the time of serving and are more labour intensive to make. There is usually more wastage with appetizers as well. So it IS a cost issue.

dmosher
04-12-2009, 06:12 PM
This is actually the reason DW and I chose not to do the dining plan. If it is free for you then, that is fine, but if not... it may not be worth the $$.

If you are getting it anyway (free or otherwise) and you DO NOT want to eat the dessert, just decline it. Sure you can waste a lot of food by ordering it, eating two bites and throwing it away. Personally I would feel guilty doing this, but that's me. We just skip desserts most nights and save them as treats for special occasions anyway. it makes them taste even better as well as making it just a little more magical. The other option would be to order just one and share it. Then you get your $$'s worth, but not waste anything.
:pipes:
D

Mousemates
04-12-2009, 11:23 PM
3) If you are on a diet, just give the dessert to a neighboring table.

And we'll be more than happy to sit at that neighboring table.:party:

Mousemates
04-12-2009, 11:32 PM
There are no deserts in Florida.

Well, that's not necessarily true according to the national oceanographic and atmospheric association (NOAA)...google "Study Shows Ocean “Deserts” are Expanding" for more info and check out the region just off Florida's Atlantic coast. So, it is possible to have dessert in a florida desert. :mickey:

lockedoutlogic
04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Although people are correct about it seeming to be very inflexible there is a reason for the no subsitutions. Appetizers are much more expensive for restaurants to handle. They can't be stored, have to be made same day or at the time of serving and are more labour intensive to make. There is usually more wastage with appetizers as well. So it IS a cost issue.

This is one of the exact reasons why I severely dislike the dining plan....

They streamline it into oblivion....which of course is logical by their standpoint.....but everybody just kinda accepts it as "oh well"....and will undoubtedly lead to further corner cutting in the name of profit on the dining plan.....

Extremely aggrivating....and proof that things rarely change for the better

Polynesian Dweller
04-13-2009, 12:29 PM
This is one of the exact reasons why I severely dislike the dining plan....

They streamline it into oblivion....which of course is logical by their standpoint.....but everybody just kinda accepts it as "oh well"....and will undoubtedly lead to further corner cutting in the name of profit on the dining plan.....

I'd like to disagree with you out of principle ;) but in this case I have to agree. At some point they have to make a profit out it, either on the DDP itself or by selling rooms or other things because of it.

Its almost inevitable with any promotional program that as it gets bigger and more popular it actually becomes more costly and less advantageous to the company. In this case, it was likely a lot more people having appetizers than would have otherwise and thus it would start costing money (believe me, at our hotel if we could have gotten rid of appetizers altogether we would have, just a money drain for restaurants). And yes, I also agree, that Disney will ultimately whittle the DDP down even more. Its one way you can 'phase out' programs that aren't giving you what you want. The QS DDP maybe the start of that.

lockedoutlogic
04-13-2009, 12:49 PM
I'd like to disagree with you out of principle ;) but in this case I have to agree. At some point they have to make a profit out it, either on the DDP itself or by selling rooms or other things because of it.

Its almost inevitable with any promotional program that as it gets bigger and more popular it actually becomes more costly and less advantageous to the company. In this case, it was likely a lot more people having appetizers than would have otherwise and thus it would start costing money (believe me, at our hotel if we could have gotten rid of appetizers altogether we would have, just a money drain for restaurants). And yes, I also agree, that Disney will ultimately whittle the DDP down even more. Its one way you can 'phase out' programs that aren't giving you what you want. The QS DDP maybe the start of that.

I don't think they are trying to kill the dining plan....i would think they would like to make it permanent....

The whole goal from the start was very clear:
to eliminate the out of pocket food expense (or severely limit it) by having people pay for it in advance....months or years out.
then when mom and dad and their 2.4 kids show up in the house of mouse....they have cash in their pockets and can buy what they reality want you to: moichendising!!!! we're the real money is made...

I think eveyone on some levels can realize this.....it bears out in their financials as well...if you look for it.

I was more afraid of them cutting out the menus and selections of the restaurants (which they have been doing in one way or another long before the DDP came about) even more to suit the financials....

Particularly in the entree and dessert courses (hmmm:confused:) you see the same selections being offered in more and more restaurants.....

The only think i can figure is this: Steak is cheaper in bulk, as are chickens and salmon.....and cheesecake and creme brulee can be mass produced effectively

(as far as the "in prinicple" comment.....say what you want - but i enjoy my vacations just fine. One need not blindly follow and not highlight shortcomings to enjoy WDW. In fact, it makes me a better consumer - Disney's worst nightmare:thedolls::mickey::thedolls:)

TheVBs
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
If you don't want the dessert and they can't substitute anything for it, I think it makes sense to pass on it.

We pass on the DDP as well. We almost got it this time, but it just doesn't make sense for us unless it's free. We wouldn't normally order appetizers or desserts, and sometimes we don't even want a full meal, we just want to share or our girls will share.

I think if Disney wants to make this a permanent option that works for everyone, it would work better as a points system. You pay in advance for a certain number of meal points and you can use them on whatever you want, with different meals, locations, and items costing different points. When they're gone, they're gone, and you're not left feeling like you had to order more than you wanted to eat. You also wouldn't be left feeling like you paid for something you didn't use. Because the bottom line is, if you paid for it and you don't use it, you most definitely ARE losing money. ;)

TheRustyScupper
04-14-2009, 10:27 AM
. . . I think if Disney wants to make this a permanent option that works for everyone, it would work better as a points system. You pay in advance for a certain number of meal points and you can use them on whatever you want, with different meals, locations, and items costing different points. When they're gone, they're gone, and you're not left feeling like you had to order more than you wanted to eat. You also wouldn't be left feeling like you paid for something you didn't use. Because the bottom line is, if you paid for it and you don't use it, you most definitely ARE losing money. ;)

1) This has been discussed.
2) But, it works against Disney.
3) If you can use points anywhere, they can't plan well.
4) Now, they can plan "x" amount of meals and fast food servings.
5) All of there statistics go out the window with guests having free reign.
6) And, if anything, WDW is all about statistics and planning.
7) And, profits.

lockedoutlogic
04-14-2009, 12:24 PM
1) This has been discussed.
2) But, it works against Disney.
3) If you can use points anywhere, they can't plan well.
4) Now, they can plan "x" amount of meals and fast food servings.
5) All of there statistics go out the window with guests having free reign.
6) And, if anything, WDW is all about statistics and planning.
7) And, profits.

Of course you're right.....they can only guarantee people will be where they want them to be, when they want them to be....if they limit selection and push it on everybody...

they want to know when the pigs are coming to the trough (ok....that's simply a pun....i'm not calling anybody fat)

Disney is very Orwellian in the parks.....perhaps as overcompensation for how they can't convince hardly anybody to see any of there movies that doesn't feature the pixar lamp at the beginning;)