PDA

View Full Version : Your first Disney Memory

dmosher
04-11-2009, 11:41 PM
I was just sitting here thinking about when Disney became important to me. Like the actual moment. I remember when WDW became important, but I mean Disney in particular, as a whole. It seems like Disney has always been there in my life. I am now pushing 36 and I can not remember a time when in some fashion Disney was not part of my growing up.

My first memory that I have clearly is sitting in front of our old T.V. watching World of Disney, the night that Sleeping Beauty came on. Watching that dragon up there on the little screen just amazed me and I was hooked. Now I also remember seeing Bambi at a drive in around the same time a crying like mad, but I can not tell you which came first.
For the sake of this post I will say that Sleeping Beauty wins and started my fascination with the Castle, the cartoons and all things Disney.

How about you?

:pipes:
D

DisneyGlutton
04-12-2009, 12:16 AM
Watching Sleeping Beauty is also my first Disney memory!! Its still my favorite Disney film.

AHOTE
04-12-2009, 01:27 AM
I'm not sure which category to choose, so I didn't. My first Disney memory was watching the original Mickey Mouse Club in the mid 50'S. That shows my age, :old: LOL I remember the opening of Disneyland and wanting so bad to go there. I was hooked but had to wait 'til 1971 when WDW opened.

dmosher
04-12-2009, 02:22 AM
I can not believe I did not put MMC, sorry about that, I blame the pain killers I am on for the error!
D

Cinderelley
04-12-2009, 03:58 AM
Hmmm, I grew up in California watching Disney movies and going to Disneyland. I don't know which came first though, so I couldn't vote. I'm going to guess it was Disneyland first, since my parents have pictures of me at Disneyland from when I was 2 or 3. I don't think I would have sat through a movie at that age.

ransam
04-12-2009, 04:20 AM
my first memory is when i was 6. my family lived in a hawaii, and were moving back to kansas city. we flew into LA and my dad took us to disneyland..what remember is sitting on a curb, watching the parade, and one of the characters from Pinochio came by and patted me on the head....next time we went to disneyworld i was probably about 8 or so, and i remember the same character did the same thing...i swore he recognized me. haha.

Goofeygal
04-12-2009, 10:09 AM
I remember sitting at home watching Disney's wounderful world of color.

SFTrny
04-12-2009, 06:55 PM
The Wonderful World of Disney, followed by Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. This was a weekend staple and NOT to be missed. We saw ll sorts of Disney features, including some really great nature documentaries that I miss.

dmosher
04-12-2009, 07:23 PM
The Wonderful World of Disney, followed by Marlin Perkins and Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom. This was a weekend staple and NOT to be missed. We saw ll sorts of Disney features, including some really great nature documentaries that I miss.

That's right! I remember the Disney film shorts they use to show us in Science class too. Does anyone else remeber getting excited when you would walk in and see the projector set up and your teacher said, "OK, don't take your books out, we are going to watch a film strip today." Wow I used to love those films!
D

cindchan
04-12-2009, 09:07 PM
I think it was seeing Lady and the Tramp.

poohbearlover15
04-12-2009, 09:57 PM
My first memory was when i went to Disney world for the first time when i was six, and walking into the Magic Kingdom, seeing the castle and then me and my sister sprinting to the Winnie the Pooh ride, thats when i knew what disney was really about, all the magic.

DisneyPrincess21
04-12-2009, 11:01 PM
Now I also remember seeing Bambi at a drive in around the same time a crying like mad, but I can not tell you which came first.

My first memory would be watching Bambi And Dumbo around 4yrs old. And I remember crying terribly at both movies, Bambi- Because the mother was killed. And Dumbo-When the mother was in the cage, and was taken away and when she sang "Baby mine" Now seriously thinking of that still makes me sad and it has been 20 freakin years! lol I guess because I have always been Very close with my Mother those two movies upset me because I never wanted/want anything to happen to my Mommy :blush:
After seeing those two movies, I quickly refused to watch them again. And I haven't watched them since, And don't plan TO! :mad: :D
I have a Disney cd and it had the song "Baby mine" on it and I listened to it for the first time about a month ago, And.. This is alittle embarrassing :blush:...But I kid you not, It made me cry hearing it :sob:. It brought back all of those memories from when I was a kid, And how upset the movie made me.
It's really embarrassing to admit that, But it's true :hide: I figured this is the only place I could admit to that, Without being laughed out of the building. :rocks:

AHOTE
04-13-2009, 12:49 AM
I can not believe I did not put MMC, sorry about that, I blame the pain killers I am on for the error!
D

No problem :thumbsup: I know just how much help and hindrance pain killers can be...careful of them bears.
Kungaloosh!

dmosher
04-13-2009, 01:27 AM
It's really embarrassing to admit that, But it's true :hide: I figured this is the only place I could admit to that, Without being laughed out of the building. :rocks:

No worries Princess, whenever I hear that song I get misty-eyed myself. I just try not to listen to it on my way to Rugby match or the pub. Unless I want a sympathy beer. Yeah Right!
D

DisneyPrincess21
04-13-2009, 02:20 AM
No worries Princess, whenever I hear that song I get misty-eyed myself.

LOL :funny: After hearing it the first time, I now always skip to the next song as soon as it comes on :blush:

Unless I want a sympathy beer. Yeah Right! :pipes:

Hey, Whatever works for ya! :cheers:

Polynesian Dweller
04-13-2009, 12:39 PM
My first memory is of the sitting around in the family room to watch the Wonderful World of Disney when it was still called Disneyland. It was named that to promote the theme park and I remember seeing this, to a 5 year old, dream place called Disneyland. Little did I know that my parents had decided to visit relatives in Rossmoor, CA and we visited the real Disneyland not long after it opened. What a dream!

dmosher
04-14-2009, 04:28 AM
Sweet, that's a great story.
D

Love of Disney
04-14-2009, 07:24 AM
It was either Disney World....Main St USA or watching Disney every Sunday night on TV after dinner. I was quite young to it's hard to remember. I do remember the "magic" though!
:cool:

dmosher
04-15-2009, 06:15 AM
See, I wish I could have gone to WDW or even DL as a child, I am curious what it would have been like to see it when I still believed in magic. I mean I do now, but it';s a different kind. I am talking about the back when if you saw Mickey ion the park you though t it really was Mickey Mouse! I wish I had that memory. You guys are soooooooo lucky!
:pipeS:
D

GrmGrninGost
04-15-2009, 10:16 AM
I can remember as a very young child sitting at home and watching Wonderful World of Disney. I can remember thinking of how wonderful it must be to visit Disneyland, and then when they opened Walt Disney World, I thought I might actually have a chance to visit a Disney park! (I knew my parents would never travel all the way to California) I had to wait until Dec. '74, but it did finally happen!

Hull-onian
04-15-2009, 07:20 PM
My first memory of Disney was the Mickey Mouse Club.:cloud9:

IamBelle
04-16-2009, 06:20 PM
My first memory of anything Disney was watching the Disney Classics. I remember when I was five, quoting directly from my favorite Disney movies almost constantly. (I was so into Pocahontas and Belle that I asked my family to call me by their names! LOL)