PDA

View Full Version : Disney Cruise

Catzle
04-10-2009, 08:13 PM
Just booked our first Disney Cruise. Anything you can tell us that we should know.
We are going to Castaway Cay twice.

Ed
04-11-2009, 02:49 PM
Wow. Where to start? :confused:

Well, first off, I'll tell you that I'm seriously jealous of the fact that you'll be double-dipping at Castaway Cay! That place is the greatest!

Beyond that, not knowing when you're going, the size and makeup of your party, any shore excursions that you're interested in, etc., the only thing I can suggest right now is that you spend lots of time reading through other threads to get a better idea of the pros and cons.

dmosher
04-12-2009, 03:19 AM
Hmm OK here is my list. it has been a few years since I was on the DCL, but here you go:
1) If the Spas still allow the $30 (price may have changed) fee for using the bathrooms and basic spa/sauna rooms, take it! I loved heading to the spa and taking a shower/getting ready and relaxing every morning. Amazing. the waterfall shower and papaya shower alone was worth it.

2) Do an excursion, but also stay on the ship. With so many excursions, we often forget to skip them and just relax on the ship and enjoy the pool and spa while everyone else has gone into port to shop, etc.

3) Bring at least one very nice outfit. I discovered this when a friend told me to bring my tux (which I Disney-fied). I had at least one option to take a really nice picture and drinks with the captain.

4) Get pictures taken. On a regular basis, professional pictures are taken on (and in front of) the ship. Once these are taken, there is a location you can go to (usually by the next day) and check out your pics. If you like them, buy them then, or wait for the next lot if your not happy.

5) Get a massage. yes get one on the ship to relax, but for REAL pampering, get an open air massage in a cabana on Castaway Quay.

6) Take the bus to the port. The fun of being immersed into Disney on the way makes it worth it and the cool effect (assuming they still do this, I am pretty sure they do) of the welcoming video saying, "If you look over the ridge now you can see your boat at port", is just perfectly magical.

:pipes:
D

Catzle
04-13-2009, 10:33 PM
Thanks for the tips. We are traveling as a family with a 9 year old and an 8 year old next year. Booked early. This will be our first family cruise.

TammiMcMan
04-13-2009, 11:25 PM
I highly recommend checking out the book, The Passporters Guide to the DCL Cruise. It has lots of great information for first time cruisers. Plus, we're always happy to answer any questions you might have :thumbsup: .

One thing that we were told, which I didn't believe until we actually got on the cruise, was that our schedule on board would be dictated by our then 8 year olds social calendar. She had such a blast going through the Navigator each morning at breakfast and deciding which activities she wanted to do that day with the kids group. We would then plan our dining and adult activities around her :).

dmosher
04-15-2009, 06:23 AM
I highly recommend checking out the book, The Passporters Guide to the DCL Cruise.

I second that! Their books are the best guides and DW and I use the WDW edition as both an indispensable guide and storage unit as well as an amazing keepsake.

:pipes:
D