PDA

View Full Version : How to do MK parade?

Momto3littlemice
04-10-2009, 09:17 AM
We are going last week in April and are considering seeing the MK parade especially for my older kids, ages 4 and almost 6. We didn't do any parades 2 years ago as they were pretty young and the week we were there it was in the high 90s the entire time. Assuming it isn't quite that hot, is it worth it? Where should we stand and how far in advance would we need to be there to get a decent view. I DREAD standing still on hot pavement for an hour with 3 kids... makes me hot just thinking about it! :mickey:

sassafras
04-10-2009, 10:11 AM
We usually park ourselves on a curb about an hour before the parade. I know alot of people will try to get up on the train station (where the tables are) by the front of the park, but those places go fairly quickly. If you're lucky, wherever you go, you might find older folks (like us, with no small children) who will put your little ones in front of them. We try to do that since we can stand or sit and see over them.We get just as big a kick out of watching the kids' reactions to the characters as to the parade itself. Have a great time!:cloud9:

the other micki
04-10-2009, 10:31 AM
I think getting a spot half an hour ahead should be soon enough. If Main Street is filling up, you should try Frontierland. That's where we like to stand.

Villains0501
04-10-2009, 12:18 PM
A nice place to watch the parade is in front of the Guest Relations on Main Street. Also, if you're lucky the balcony in front of the Main Street Train Station has some shaded seating!

megustamex
04-10-2009, 05:30 PM
I agree about Main Street - we actually stand right in front of Guest Relations on the street and it's always the LEAST crowded spot for some reason. (I know because we always seem to be in Frontierland when it is starting where it is very crowded, then we always want to leave the park and end up cutting through Casey's and the Emporium to see the end of it in front of Guest Relations). They always do their "show" portion of the parade right before they head in through the gates at the end of the parade by the Emporium, so you get to see the whole effect of the parade from this spot. The other nice thing is that you can easily leave right afterwards if you have had a full day at the parks.

megustamex
04-10-2009, 05:31 PM
By the way my daughter (who is 4) LOVED it - she wanted to watch it every day.

GoofyforFun
04-11-2009, 09:56 AM
Time to get seated....You'll start to see them getting ready for the parade and people getting there spots. In Frontierland just after Pecos Bill--by General store is good. Also on main street just before the shops is where we happened to be last two times ( same side as Plaza Rest)?? For our kids DD9 D6 DD3 they could entertain themselves in the street for a little bit. Parades are a good relax mode and entertainment. I would stay away form the curves in the route???
Put your stroller out and save a seat and get an ice cream at the Plaza ice Cream or something from the Bakery.

WDWFanatic
04-11-2009, 12:11 PM
I was also going to suggest getting a snack and then get your spot and you can kill some time eating and people watching.

Maybe you can also bring something for your children to play with, like bubbles or stickers.

kakn7294
04-11-2009, 02:12 PM
Frontierland is usually far less crowded than Main St and it's much easier to get a last-minute spot. You could realistically arrive about 15 min before the parade starts and find a decent spot. The afternoon parade starts in Frontierland too so you are much closer to the actual start time than the 20 min it takes to work it's way through the park.

Sassafras, I appreciate that you put kids in front of you. I've always appreciated when anyone has done that for my little ones and I try to do the same for others. Thanks!!!

Momto3littlemice
04-12-2009, 07:59 AM
Everyone has great advice! Depending on where we are, I think we will try frontierland or in front of guest relations. Again, the forecast is going to have to be my guide for how long we can sit and wait. I can't believe it is less than two weeks before we go!!:mickey:

homeschool mom
04-14-2009, 02:48 AM
I'll give another vote for Frontierland just above Pecos Bill's and on the same side of the "street" as the restaurant. It should be shaded there. Main Street gets too crowded and since the parade starts in Frontierland, you can watch it and be on your way while others on Main St. are still waiting! :mickey:

3 days and counting to Anniv. trip with DH! :cloud9:

tys_mommy
04-14-2009, 08:07 AM
We park hop so we usually make our way to the front of the park and when we find an open spot that's where we watch the parade, you’d be surprised how many front row seats we’ve stumbled upon up near the train station. I don't have the time to spend just waiting on the side of the street and my kids would be bored to tears even with snacks and treats.

FenwayGirl
04-14-2009, 09:24 AM
We usually sit in front of the Emporium (shady side of the street) We take the kids one at a time to shop while we wait.

PrettyMinnie
04-14-2009, 05:39 PM
We have always sat in Frontierland, which doesn't get crowded quickly. We made the mistake the first year of tanking a seat on one of the benches that wasn't right on the street and of course people piled in front of us.

I think the parade in MK is worth it because in case the kids don't see the characters they want to at least they can see them in the parade! Good luck!

Darbylew
04-14-2009, 06:10 PM
It depends on which parade you want to see. The day parade is always at 3 pm. You can find
a little shade sometimes. The night parade is
the best with all the lights. It is cool then and
they usually have an early and late parade with
the fireworks. :thumbsup::mickey: