PDA

View Full Version : AirTran to Fly out of Allentown

wdwnomad
04-09-2009, 10:14 PM
AirTran Airways Announces New Service to Allentown/Bethlehem, Pa., from
Two Florida Cities

ORLANDO, Fla. (April 9, 2009) – AirTran Airways, a subsidiary of AirTran Holdings, Inc. (NYSE: AAI), today announced plans to begin service in Allentown/Bethlehem, Pa., effective June 25, 2009. The low-cost carrier will offer roundtrip nonstop flights between Lehigh Valley International Airport in Allentown/Bethlehem, Pa., and both Orlando International Airport in Orlando, Fla., and Ft. Lauderdale – Hollywood International Airport in Ft. Lauderdale, Fla.

“AirTran Airways is excited to announce new service from Allentown/Bethlehem, our 62nd destination, to our hometown, Orlando, and to Ft. Lauderdale,” said Kevin Healy, senior vice president of marketing and planning for AirTran Airways. “Whether looking to get away to catch a few rays in Florida or experience an unforgettable American history lesson, passengers can count on AirTran to get them there.”

"AirTran Airways' new service announced today to the Lehigh Valley International Airport will be a great option for both business and leisure travelers,” said Glenn R. Walbert, chairman of the Lehigh-Northampton Airport Authority Board of Governors. “We are indeed pleased to welcome to the Lehigh Valley America's premier low cost network carrier. We are confident air travelers from throughout the greater Lehigh Valley region will be attracted to the combination of AirTran's excellent service and the convenience of Lehigh Valley International Airport."

With the addition of Allentown/Bethlehem, AirTran Airways will provide service to 62 destinations nationwide, including 35 nonstop cities from Orlando.

Checkers
04-10-2009, 09:38 AM
:mickey:I heard this on the news this morning and it is great news. AirTran started flying out of Harrisburg last fall and we are overjoyed about it. The only downside with AirTran is the fee for your first checked bag although their fares are ususally lower, so other than that what more could you ask for -- having a direct flight is great and since the return flight leaves so early in the morning (I think about 8:30 a.m.), we just book an extra day to compensate:thumbsup:!

TiggeRia
04-10-2009, 10:03 AM
Wow--I am liking this news! Even though the tickets will probably be slightly more expensive, when you take into account having to drive to Newark or Philly, and either pay for a car service or to park the car for a week, it will probably (hopefully) be comparable to flying out of one of the larger city airports. And the convenience can't be beat! What happened to Allegiance??

yjgirl32
04-10-2009, 11:00 AM
That is very good news- unfortunately since there were nine of us going I already have my tickets- but I will keep them in mind for next year. Thanks for the info.

luvDaMouse
04-11-2009, 11:35 AM
:mickey::thumbsup: I like this option too as it is about 30mins from my house! Not sure about AirTran, have heard good and bad things about them. But it is so much closer than Philly. I love Southwest prices though...

ThanxForNoticin
04-11-2009, 03:30 PM
Wow, thanks for the news. I missed this. Being able to go non-stop from Allentown to Orlando and Fort Lauderdale could be a very nice option. If the flights are decent times and decent price, it might be a better than going from Philly.

shellyc
04-12-2009, 07:30 PM
In addition to Allentown, Pa, AirTran is also starting service to Atlanta and Florida cities from Atlantic City, NJ. I was able to grab a one way introductory fare of $59, plus $6 pick your seat fee, and with taxes it came to $75. We fly to MCO from ACY on 6/27. Our return flight is on Spirit from TPA to ACY for $80 one way. I'll try ACY...

TheRustyScupper
04-13-2009, 10:03 AM
1) I am telling, you, it is hard to beat Airtrain and Southwest.
2) And, they both continue to expand service.

MadMadamMim
04-13-2009, 01:35 PM
I live 10 minutes from the Allentown airport. This news makes my year!

LandFan
04-15-2009, 10:48 AM
:mickey::thumbsup: I like this option too as it is about 30mins from my house! Not sure about AirTran, have heard good and bad things about them. But it is so much closer than Philly. I love Southwest prices though...

Ditto on all of that! I love that ABE is so close but I love Southwest too... Airtran will have to offer very good prices to get me to use them - especially since they charge for checked bags!

sgdisney
04-15-2009, 12:02 PM
They just announced AirTran direct flights from Charleston WV to MCO too, which makes me very happy. First time any of the discount airlines have had flights out of here and first DIRECT flight to MCO that I can ever remember from CRW. We've had some other airlines offer direct flights in the past, but always to Sanford Airport. The news reported that AirTran based their decision in part on newly installed baggage handling equipment being installed that was paid for with some of the stimulus money, so for that I am grateful.

TiggeRia
05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
I just purchased r/t airfare out of ABE to Orlando in September for $140!!! I had been paying around $200 to go out of Newark or Philly, plus the cost of a car to get to the airport or to park my car there. Now I can have someone drop me off b/c ABE is so close! I am excited--hope they continue with the good deals! :number1: