PDA

View Full Version : Passports??

disneygirlie11
04-09-2009, 12:32 PM
I am very confused about whether I need a passport or not. I am going on the 4 night cruise to the Bahamas. When the ressie was made I was told that I didn't need anything. Well, I called back to make sure and the cm told me that I do indeed need a passport or a passport card. After doing some research online, it looks like I only need my drivers license and a certified birth certificate. It's an issue b/c I am going on my honeymoon one week from my wedding so if I need a passport, I have to find out how to get my married name on it in time. TIA!!

DisneyWhirled
04-09-2009, 12:56 PM
When are you travelling? There are some changes after June 1, 2009.

I have heard so many inconsistencies, that I've decided we are getting passports for all of us. It will be expensive, but worth the piece of mind.

Have you checked the US Gov't site. I don't know that I can post the link, but if you Google "passport US" you will get the site with information.

MMFreak
04-09-2009, 01:01 PM
I have read that you do ot need a passport to go into some of these countries but you do need one to get back in the US. I am not sure how that works on a cruise. Better to be safe then sorry. As to your married name just ask a few questions as newlyweds travel all the time to non US honeymoons and this is a scenario that is not new to customs.

Piglet822
04-09-2009, 03:18 PM
When are you travelling? There are some changes after June 1, 2009.

I have heard so many inconsistencies, that I've decided we are getting passports for all of us. It will be expensive, but worth the piece of mind.

Have you checked the US Gov't site. I don't know that I can post the link, but if you Google "passport US" you will get the site with information.

If you get the cards it is not as expensive as the books. Keep in mind the cards are only good for crusing. If you're planning on flying out of the country then it would be worth the extra money to go for the book.

MidnTPK
04-09-2009, 03:55 PM
It's an issue b/c I am going on my honeymoon one week from my wedding so if I need a passport, I have to find out how to get my married name on it in time. TIA!!
Your marriage ceremony does not legally change your name. Your name legally changes when you go through the process of having it changed.

You will not be able to get your passport with your married name until you go through the name change process. Google "How to Change Your Name After Marriage" to see the procedure, which generally starts by getting Social Security to change your name and issue a new SS card, then going to the DMV for new photo ID.

Given the details provided, I think you are going to have to go through the passport process twice (unless you are travelling before the deadline). You'll have to get your passport with your current name, and then after you are married and have gone through the rest of process, you'll have to get another passport with your new married name. You won't have to pay any fees to get the name changed and get your 'second' passport with your new married name, so long as you apply for the change within 1 year of issuance of your original passport.

I doubt this can be done in the time between a wedding and honeymoon, especially since you have to send certified copies of marriage license/certificates to Social Security, the DMV, and the Passport agency, and getting those certified copies takes a few days or weeks, depending on where you live. All in, it was a three month process for my wife.

"Explaining" things to customs is not a good plan in the post 9-11 world. Your legal documents must match your travel documents, or you'll be in for a lot of hassle when trying to re-enter the country.

And just because you'll still legally be John Doe and Jane Smith when you're on your honeymoon doesn't mean you can't present yourself as a family/married when dealing with customs and immigration.

TammiMcMan
04-09-2009, 09:12 PM
This is the governments official passport site, http://travel.state.gov/passport/passport_1738.html . It should be able to answer all your questions, based on your cruise dates.

Currently, you do need a passport to fly back into the US. As of June 1st, you will need a passport, passport card or an approved travel document (i.e. enhanced drivers license, military id) to enter via land or sea. A certified birth certificate and standards drivers license will no longer be acceptable. As was previously mentioned, your married name is not going to be an issue on your honeymoon. I used to carry a certified copy of my marriage certificate prior to my passport, but that was because my drivers license has my married name, but my birth certificate has my maiden name. If you're honeymooning right after your marriage, you wouldn't have had time to legally change your name, so no problem.

LoriR
04-19-2009, 12:25 PM
Get the passport! As others have said, you will need it if you hae to fly back in. Although that isn't in your plan, if someone should get very sick or severe weather requires you to leave the ship and fly back, you're in trouble without it. Our travel agent advised us to get them because you just never know when an emergency situation could arise that could necessitate your having to fly home.

It is much, much harder to get home without a passport than it is to just apply for one and get it in the mail! (My brother once lost his while in Europe, so I know how hard it is!)