PDA

View Full Version : Post # 700 - Biggest Disney surprise

ShanPooh
04-08-2009, 05:53 AM
So, we are planning on heading down this summer but haven't told the kiddos :tiptoe:
Usually we tell them right when we book it, but this time we are hoping to keep it hush hush until the day we go.
Well, what was your biggest Disney surprise?

marylynne95
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
This year when I had two last minute almost free trips given to me in Jan and Feb!! Tis a good year when it is April and you have been to WDW twice!! :mickey:

SBETigg
04-08-2009, 10:46 AM
I won a trip on the radio and had to be ready to go in two weeks. It was the first trip for my kids, who were already 8 and 10. There was much excitement in the house that morning. And it made us realize that saving for vacations and returning to WDW more regularly was a priority for us.

pdrlkr
04-11-2009, 07:26 PM
Cool! :thumbsup: :mickey:

dmosher
04-12-2009, 02:38 AM
Mine was DW telling me that we would be spending my birthday (my first B-day trip there) in WDW a few years ago. it was also, coincidentally first time together and her first in many many years. She was not at the time, a very big fan of WDW so that made it a big surprise, only surpassed by her proclamation upon our return from that trip that we should spend our Honeymoon there as well! I love my wife!
:pipes:
D

jrkcr
04-12-2009, 03:23 PM
I am always the vacation planner, DH never, ever plans anything (18 years of marriage).

EXCEPT the Christmas he totally surprised me with a DL trip that he booked for January. He had everything booked at Paradise Pier, and the tickets and dinner plans, EVERYTHING! :thumbsup:

dmosher
04-12-2009, 06:25 PM
I am always the vacation planner, DH never, ever plans anything (18 years of marriage).

EXCEPT the Christmas he totally surprised me with a DL trip that he booked for January. He had everything booked at Paradise Pier, and the tickets and dinner plans, EVERYTHING! :thumbsup:

I would love to do this, but DW is an accountant and handles all of our $$. I can't even sneak a present without her knowing it. No chance of sneaking a whole vacation!
Oh Well.
D

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-12-2009, 09:51 PM
A couple of years ago my sis told her kids that she and I were going to Disney without them and that they were going to their other aunt's beach house at Hampton Beach. They were bummed that they were not going but got over it. We all managed to keep it a secret from them until we actually got to the airport to leave. The rest of the surprise was that I WASN'T going. ):
The older one had to quickly call friends and let them know not to go to the beach to see him. He was bummed about that but got over it quick enough!!

Gooftroop5
04-13-2009, 04:05 PM
I would love to do this, but DW is an accountant and handles all of our $$. I can't even sneak a present without her knowing it. No chance of sneaking a whole vacation!
Oh Well.
D

This is my DH too. He can not even buy a pack of gum with out me knowing. He has direct deposit so he can't even take $ out of the bank without me knowing especially when he can never remember the pin #. ;)

That said: we meant for out trip to be a surprise this year but my youngest ds heard me book it & spilled it to the older 2 (they were at school). There is going to be a couple people surprised ( probably a little hurt) when they find out we went. Sorry don't want anyone non-family coming with us this trip.

We did surprise dd last year we celebrated her birthday while we were down there. She didn't know we were becuase it was actually dh's & my birthdays. Her's was 10 days after we got home. She loved all the attention & cupcakes. :thumbsup:

TiggeRia
04-13-2009, 06:39 PM
Mine happened a few years ago, when we went to celebrate my dad's 10 year survival from cancer--it was the first trip for my dad. It was planned for my mom, my dad, and me staying at the Poly for 7 days with the dining plan. My mom had wanted my brother to join us, but he was stationed in Germany (in the AF) and was not able to come. About a month and a half before our trip, he decided he wanted to join us after all.

He and I did all the planning in secrecy and I went and changed all of our ADRs to four instead of three. The three of us were to arrive early in the day and head to EPCOT. My brother's flight wasn't due in until about 4:30 PM , and he had to head to the hotel first to drop off his luggage and freshen up. I had delayed our ADR's at the Biergarten (he left Germany to meet us in Germany!) until ~7:30, so that he would be able to meet us for dinner. My brother had never been to WDW, so I gave him every last detail on where to go, how to get there, and what to do.

The day arrived, and the three of us signed into the Poly. I conveniently sent my parents off to the gift shop so they wouldn't overhear about four people being in the room. We spent the day in EPCOT, and as our ADR time drew nearer, my mom did a bit of shopping in Germany while my dad relaxed and waited for dinner. I was getting nervous because I had not heard from my brother. He refused to call me in case mom accidentally answered my phone...I was pacing in front of the Germany pavilion, when I spotted him coming! I told him mom was in the ornament store buying him a pickle for his Christmas tree, and he snuck up behind her and said "Are you sure that's authentic?" She was so utterly surprised (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2183935080099791469KkQTLH) and didn't believe we had pulled (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2118635630099791469VZlaGW)it off!

Dad was pretty speechless, too! It was worth every last minute to plan and every last dime to see their faces that night. We went on to have a fabulous family vacation with many great memories! :mickey:

yjgirl32
04-13-2009, 08:28 PM
That is an awesome story tiggeria. Great photos- thanks for sharing.

DizNee143
04-14-2009, 11:04 AM
what a great story TiggeRia..had me a little choked up there...your mom looked soooooooo happy!!! what a great surprise! :mickey:

Disneypixie513
04-14-2009, 11:50 AM
Aw, I love threads like this..They make me smile.:D
I have several surprises:
#1.) In 2002,(I was 10) My mom woke my sister and I up, told us to get dressed and to get in the car, which was all packed. Well, we went back to sleep, and when we stopped in at a rest stop; We were looking at a map, trying to figure out where we were going. We didn't figure it out, until South Carolina. Mom finally told us we were going to WDW. I started screaming, and my poor sister was crying because she thought it was some cruel joke my parents were playing. Mom had to show her tickets and a map to get her to believe them.

#2.) In 2005, We had been talking to my best friend's family about coming to WDW with us in September. Well my friend is in public school and they didn't want to pull her out for a week, and they also wanted to go see Christmas decorations. Well, we had been at WDW for about 3 days, and we were getting ready for EMH at AK. Mom and my sister went down to the food court for hot chocolate, while Dad and I got ready. Well they were gone for a good 30-45 min., and I was starting to get a bit suspicious. Anyway, they finally get back, and my mom says to me, "You know it's the weirdest thing. When we're out shopping at home, we NEVER see anyone we know, but we come here and we see someone. So i open the door, and there is my best friend! I was so shocked, I slammed the door in her face :blush:

#3.) In 2007, we weren't going anywhere on vacation because the past year we had taken a huge trip out to Mt. Rushmore and to Disney. I had been complaining that we were going to have a boring summer. Well, near the end of August, we were eating dinner, and my Dad asked us what we wanted to do that weekend. My sister said she wanted to go swimming. Dad asked "where?" And my Sister said "BB" So he looked at us very seriously and told us to go pack. We laughed it off because we're always joking about going to Disney. Well about 15-20 min. later, we're still talking, and My dad looks at Mom and says "Well i guess we're going to Disney alone, since the girls aren't packing." We start to think maybe they really are serious. So mom brings out their PACKED suitcase and tells us we better go pack since we're leaving TOMORROW! We are told that we are staying at ASMo and CBR. Well, we get on WDW property, and mom says "2nd surprise..We're not staying at ASMo...We're staying at WL!!" Of course she gets every entrance to Disney on tape. The looks on our faces were priceless. Not even my Dad knew that surprise. It was a belated Anniversary present for him, since he had always wanted to stay there.

Sorry for writing a novel. :blush:

ShanPooh
04-14-2009, 03:25 PM
Wow those are all great surprises!
Thanks everyone for sharing :)

Several years ago, my parents were going to WDW at the beginning of May. I told Mom that for Mothers' Day, I would make reservations for her and Dad at the Mothers' Day brunch at Epcot. What I didn't tell them was that we were going to be joining them! :clappy: I scheduled our vacation to overlap theirs by one day. I (casually) called about an hour before the reservations to ask what Mom and Dad were doing that day. Mom said they were heading to Epcot to go to brunch. We waited around the old Millennium Village (where the brunch was held). We were on the lookout, so we spotted them before they saw us. Our son, 3 at the time, ran up to them yelling "Grandma! Grandpa!" and gave them a great surprise :D
DH and I are hoping to pull off putting sleepy kiddos in the car this summer, getting part-way there, then springing the surprise trip to the kids :secret:

TiggerD
04-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Our surprise came two yrs ago, when we were heading to the land of Magic to celebrate our anniversary. We arrived at the airport, got through the line and were waiting to board and I felt a tug on my shorts, it was my grandson, We were shocked, and when I asked him what he was doing there, he said he was going to Disney with Papa and me. My son and his family surprised us and we got to spend a magical trip with them. We are all going back this September and my daughter n law is going to send a card to our oldest grandson who is 6, and he will get it the day before telling him it is a card from Mickey to come to visit him. It will be his surprise this year.:mickey:

cjdami
04-17-2009, 11:42 AM
DH and I were able to pull it off on out DS for an early birthday present. We convinced DH we were giong to San Diego for a conference for DH's work. We arrived at LA and DH has booked a limo for the ride to DL. In the car DH hands him a b-day card, with a gift card in it for $50 for DL.:mickey: He sat there a little dumbfounded, knowing we were in the porcess of planning a trip to WDW with my MIL for the next summer, he thought the card was for the following trip. We convinced him where we were going and when we pulled up to GC at DL he was finally convinced of where wer were going! He was so excited, it was the year the DL celebrated their 50 anniversary and DH pulled acouple off on me too that trip. He bought one of the exclusive ticket pins, and gave that to me when we arrived. He also has booked the blacony seating for DL version of Fantasmic. DS and I were both so thrilled about these surprises, it was a very cool trip.
:mickey3::minnie::jack::tigger:
We also pulled a surprise off on my MIL and her BF. They are hooked on WDW and decided to plan another trip down for the Flower and Garden Festival in 2007. Well DH did such a fantastic job planning the trip on 2006 that he was to plan the trip in 2007 for them. He asks me if we wanted to go back ans surprise MIL, which we did bringing both DD and DS. They were thrilled to see us all!!

I just love Disney surprises!! DH loves to plan the trips there with my comments and then he bumps something in the trip that I know nothing about, which so cool!! I just love his surprises!!!