PDA

View Full Version : what exactely do you do when you "resort hop"?

tinkerddeedee
04-07-2009, 08:03 PM
Yes, call me newbie~I'm ok with that!:party:

faline
04-07-2009, 08:12 PM
Basically, it's a chance to check out other resorts. You might have dinner there; you might shop there; you might just look around. We've been doing this for years - even before there was a term such as resort hopping to describe what we were doing!

Donald's Girl
04-07-2009, 11:11 PM
We also have been doing it for years! It's a good way to decide what resort you may want to try on your next trip. We like to try all the different restaurants and often just have breakfast at their Quick Serves just for a change of pace.
But, more than anything, if you're an inveterate Disney shopper like me, you can find something in a lot of those shops you never saw anywhere else! I found a great pair of Mickey shoes at the Poly once and a TinkerBell cell phone holder at the Cont. that I never saw anywhere else!
It's especially enjoyable just to do the monorail route, getting off at each stop!

Mousemates
04-08-2009, 09:11 AM
what exactly do you do when you "resort hop"?

Well, we always smile. :) To us it's kind of like restarting the vacation half way through with a new room, new things to see, new experiences. WDW makes it super easy to do and will even transfer your luggage for you.

BMan62
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
Well, we always smile. :) To us it's kind of like restarting the vacation half way through with a new room, new things to see, new experiences. WDW makes it super easy to do and will even transfer your luggage for you.

I think you are referring to 'split stay' and the OP is referring to visiting the different resorts without changing rooms.

You get the opportunity to experience a bit of all the resorts by 'hopping' around property. This is particularly pleasing during the Christmas holiday season, when the resorts are heavily decorated. The DVC and Deluxe resorts go 'over the top' with some of their displays, but all resorts are decked out nicely.

PlutoPlanet
04-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Yes, we like resort hopping. We had always stayed at WL, then we went to the BW to look around. Now we stay at the BW every year. Another good place to resort hop is AKL. We liked that so much now we stay a few days at AKL. That gets us to "split stay." We enjoy the experiences at the resorts so much, we did a split stay last year (with a car) and will do it again this year. We are early risers so even on the day we go to the 2nd resort, we can get to the park when it opens.

Aggie97
04-08-2009, 04:59 PM
We also have been resort hopping for several years. We usually walk around the grounds and pool area, look at interesting details in the lobby, check out the restaurants (sometimes we have an ADR for one), and shop. It makes for a relaxing down day from the parks, and it helps us get a feel for which resorts we might like to stay at in the future! :mickey:

KylesMom
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Usually we schedule an ADR at the resort we plan to visit, followed by some quality time in the resort gift shops, and if we have the time (and the energy) we might walk around the property a bit.

GrumpyFan
04-08-2009, 05:07 PM
We almost always "Hop" over to AKL or WL. There is so much to see at both these resorts, and because of their theming, surroundings and distance from other resorts and parks, it almost feels like you've left Disney and gone to an exotic lodge. Very Nice! We especially like eating at Whispering Canyon at WL, it's lots of fun and the food's not bad either.

kemps@wdw
04-08-2009, 10:44 PM
Resort hoping is a wonderful way to take a sometimes much needed break from park-hopping, and is something I'm hoping to do more of on our next magical journey. Different dining experiences and a chance to maybe find things in their gift shops that you won't find elsewhere. Not to mention, checking out the resorts themselves, locations, theming, and pool areas, to see if they might be a possible future "home away from home".:thumbsup:

Soul_Power
04-09-2009, 02:49 AM
Resort hopping is as much of a part of our WDW trip as the parks are. I love to resort hop for the restaurants, stores, different themes, etc. All of the resorts have something different/unique to offer. It's fun!

johnO
04-09-2009, 08:55 AM
It's nice to check out the other resorts to see what they're like. To see their unique theming etc..

Hull-onian
04-09-2009, 07:24 PM
We go to the Contemporary for dining. We explore the resort from top to bottom. We love it there. Then we go to AKL, because of its beauty. We like to sit outside by the firepit after dining. It is so wonderful. The Grand Floridian, we love the lobby and the gift shop. At the Poly we love Kona and Ohana, and the spirit of aloha show. Over at WL we love the Hoop Dee Doo Revue. Then we go to POR because it is so beautiful to walk around it. I could go on and on.:cloud9:

DawsonAR
04-09-2009, 07:35 PM
We resort hop to look at the different shops at each resort. It gives us something different to do and look at.

Insanity Clause
04-09-2009, 08:03 PM
My favorite one to visit is GF. That is DH dream place to stay and one day we actually will do it...

tinkerddeedee
04-09-2009, 09:13 PM
You cannot swim at other resorts, right? We're staying at POR!:mickey::cloud9::thumbsup:

PAYROLL PRINCESS
04-09-2009, 09:47 PM
You cannot swim at other resorts, right? We're staying at POR!:mickey::cloud9::thumbsup:

You can swim at POR or POFQ but that's it.

Resort hopping is a lot of fun, checking out the restaurants and gift shops and the pool area. It's especially fun to see all the decorations during the holidays.