PDA

View Full Version : Obsessed mom April 28th Pre-trip

shev
04-07-2009, 05:11 PM
:( So I've benn planning this trip since last August. Almost on a daily basis I would read this site and look at my countdown clock. We are going to be in Disney on April 28th. My only only problem is I decided about a month ago I would train for a 5 mile run for a gentleman with cancer. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much damage a new excercise does to the body and I got a stress fracture in my heel. The doc says I can still go on my much anticipated trip as long as I rent a wheelchair while in the parks. I am horrified beyond belief because I know how some people feel aand treat wheelchair bound pepole. I told my kids who are 17 & 19 that I'll just take off the crazy boot contraption and deal with it but they are like little parents and are saying absolutely not!! I'm so sad and disappointed- I know I should just be grateful that I'm going and that alot of people have it a thousand times worse as far as injuries but this is a huge bummer.

AuntDJ
04-07-2009, 05:38 PM
Do NOT feel bad!!! Yes, you might get a few looks, but for the most part you will be VERY happy you got the wheelchair....and most folks won't even notice you...

I had a severly sprained (dr said worse than if I had broken it..) ankle last time and should have gotten a wheelchair, but nooooo, I felt like you, but I will have one if I need one next time....

Even if you stand in all the lines, and just use it to get from ride to ride, you will be glad you have it!

Have fun!
DJ

shev
04-07-2009, 05:46 PM
You know I didn't even think about the fact that I could just use it to get from ride to ride then hobble thru the line. I bet I get less dirty looks if I don't get the front of the line access. I actually feel alot better. Thanks intercot friend. I love this site.

ibelieveindisneymagic
04-07-2009, 06:00 PM
You can choose to stand in the lines, but I would let your body be your guide...who cares what others are thinking, this is YOUR vacation and YOU deserve to have the best time possible.

We took my Mom on our last trip, and she rented a scooter due to knee surgery. It was the best decision we could have made. She simply couldn't have kept up with out, and it made the whole difference in our vacation.

If you are staying on-site, you might want to rent a wheelchair or an ECV, so you have it with you at the resort too!

I'm sorry this happened, but you will have a great trip anyways :mickey:

thejens
04-07-2009, 06:06 PM
There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a wheelchair while your foot heals. Take care of yourself and don't worry about anyone's dirty looks. In fact, give them a big fat raspberry from me! My Mom used an electric scooter last year and had an absolutely wonderful time with us and her grandkids. It couldn't have been more convenient. No one gave us any dirty looks (or if they did we were not paying any attention.) Sometimes she also stood in line, sometimes not. It really didn't give us a big advantage, but it allowed her to have a great time with her family, as it should have.

Madame Leona
04-07-2009, 06:23 PM
There is nothing wrong with getting a wheelchair but I understand what you mean about getting dirty looks. The last time we went my son (2.5 at the time) had a broken ankle and a cast. I would have carried him through the line but a very nice cm said we could use his stroller as a wheelchair. At his age, it made the most sense. We got a lot of dirty looks until people saw the cast. I think with the boot on you may get the same response.

NotaGeek
04-07-2009, 07:56 PM
:( So I've benn planning this trip since last August. Almost on a daily basis I would read this site and look at my countdown clock. We are going to be in Disney on April 28th. My only only problem is I decided about a month ago I would train for a 5 mile run for a gentleman with cancer. Unfortunately, I didn't realize how much damage a new excercise does to the body and I got a stress fracture in my heel. The doc says I can still go on my much anticipated trip as long as I rent a wheelchair while in the parks. I am horrified beyond belief because I know how some people feel aand treat wheelchair bound pepole. I told my kids who are 17 & 19 that I'll just take off the crazy boot contraption and deal with it but they are like little parents and are saying absolutely not!! I'm so sad and disappointed- I know I should just be grateful that I'm going and that alot of people have it a thousand times worse as far as injuries but this is a huge bummer.
WHO CARES what people think!! I say go one step further, get an ECV -- WDW is huge and odds are using a wheel chair will leave you guys exhausted. Have a great time, wear your boot proudly, you got the stress fracture doing a good deed! :mickey:

RedSoxFan
04-07-2009, 08:13 PM
I wouldn't worry about what other people think if you need to use the wheelchair. Go ahead and use and have a wonderful vacation.:mickey:

faline
04-07-2009, 08:19 PM
As someone who has endured foot surgery on both feet in the recent past, I can certainly understand your feelings. On our last trip, I considered renting an ECV but decided to see if I could do without. You should not at all feel badly about what others might think about your current needs! If you need a chair, rent one! It's very sad that so many folks are intolerent of our differing needs. Yes, there are folks who take advantage but most of us would much rather explore the world on our own two feet. If that is not possible, do not let it prevent you from getting a vacation!

sassafras
04-07-2009, 09:04 PM
After going to Disney twice in the last 3 years with a knee high walking boot (2 stress fractures prior to foot surgery), I can feel for you. I wouldn't worry what people will say if you get a wheelchair or ECV. I didn't get one, and I kept having other guests tell me that I definitely should rent one and make it easier on myself. Most people were more than understanding and made sure I got a seat when the buses were overloaded. Have a good time!

kakn7294
04-07-2009, 11:14 PM
My mother has a torn meniscus and bone contusion in her knee. Her ortho doc advised her to use a WC for her recent Disney trip. She was stubborn and refused - for all of a day and a half. Her knee was so swollen by the middle of day 2 that it was double it's normal size and now her ortho has her scheduled for surgery. She didn't need surgery before the trip - he told her rest would heal it. She used the WC after that and had very little trouble with other guests. She got some looks and a few comments but nothing horrible. She says the worst part of using the WC was the view from being seated all day - apparently, there are some interesting sights from that level! I agree with the EVC - pushing a WC was hard in March, with moderate temps and nice weather. In August, with high temps and humidity, it could be brutal. Don't worry about what other people think - do what's best for you.

AmandaChan
04-09-2009, 01:02 PM
Do not worry about other people and what they think about wheelchairs. If one person in a wheelchair with a family bothers people that much then maybe they shouldn't even be at Disney. You spent a lot of money and time and you are only going to be more miserable if you don't do what the doc says. You can still have lots of fun and don't let it get you down!

yjgirl32
04-13-2009, 08:52 AM
I would NOT let what other people think ruin my vacation in Disney. People really really need to mind thier own business. Go and have a great time and listen to your parents- uh I mean kids. That is so sweet they would worry and take care of you that way.