PDA

View Full Version : August cruise weather?

DisneyLoversx4
04-07-2009, 02:59 PM
We just booked a cruise for this August, both of our kids are free! We got a special offer for Castaway Club member. Anymay has anyone ever cruised during August? How is the weather? We are doing the western carribean cruise.

Ed
04-07-2009, 03:35 PM
I've never cruised in August (deliberately), but you can expect the Western Caribbean (Key West, Grand Cayman, Cozumel) to be HOT; hopefully you'll have some decent breezes to cool things off somewhat.

Not to be a "wet blanket", but realistically one thing to keep in the back of your mind is that August is right in the middle of hurricane season, and that area is a frequent target.

vicster
04-07-2009, 03:39 PM
We've also never done August due to hurricane season. We did the Western Caribbean a couple of years ago the first week in November which we thought would be safe. The week before our cruise a hurricane went through Grand Cayman and Jamaica. You just never know. However, these cruise ships know how to detour if there's a hurricane.

DisneyWhirled
04-07-2009, 09:45 PM
Well, I've never cruised in Aug, but we booked one for this Aug!! I've been to FL several times in Aug and am well aware of the heat, so I would imagine it will be much of the same on the cruise.

I am a member on another board that has a large cruise board, and when I asked about Aug before booking, a lot of the member said they have and will cruise Aug again.

Although it is hurricane season, as the PP stated, the cruise ships can maneuver around them--better than a hotel in the middle of one :)

When in Aug are you cruising??

DisneyLoversx4
04-19-2009, 08:31 PM
August 22! Can not wait!

FortheloveofStitch
04-19-2009, 09:05 PM
We will be on the same cruise. It will be our first cruise. When I brought up about hurricane season, someone told me not to worry. Disney will do everything they can to protect their ships. Lucky for me, I would be on the ship and be safe as well. We can't wait.

:marg: here is to a free upgrade:marg:

Ed
04-20-2009, 02:45 PM
Yes, DCL can (and HAS) change the itinerary at any time for any reason. For example, if a storm is threatening the Caymans or Mexico, they can change a Western cruise to an Eastern itinerary - - St. Maarten/St.Thomas/Castaway - - or wherever else they can safely go on short notice.

In a few cases over the past few years, DCL has had to divert from Port Canaveral due to weather and dock instead in Ft. Lauderdale. In those cases, bus transportation was provided to get debarking passengers back to the Port Canaveral/Orlando area and also to get embarking passengers for the next trip down to Ft. Lauderdale to board for their cruise.

I may be wrong, but I don't believe I've ever heard of a DCL cruise being totally cancelled due to weather.

TammiMcMan
04-20-2009, 03:15 PM
I may be wrong, but I don't believe I've ever heard of a DCL cruise being totally cancelled due to weather.I was trying to remember if they had to cancel in 2004. I think that was a particularly bad year for hurricanes in that area. I know that for a while DCL took the Castaway Cay stop out of the itinerary due to damages to the island and they had to come in and go out of Fort Lauderdale.

I would definitely purchase insurance if travelling at any point during hurricane season.

sisterdisco
04-20-2009, 07:38 PM
Have been the 1st week of august in the past.
The cruise ships watch the weather and they will drive away from a hurricane. I think there has only been one year in the last several, that ships were delayed in or out of florida.

Buy insurance on your trip just in case you have a delay

I would not be deterred in cruising during hurricane season!
Have a great time

DisneyLoversx4
04-24-2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks!

Married-2-WDW-nut
04-29-2009, 01:06 PM
We went last year in August and had some backlash from the Tropical Storm Faye. Although we had no trouble whilst on the cruise, we were deported at Fort Lauderdale and put on busses for the 4 hour road trip to Port Canaveral.

Can't be too bad .....we've also booked for the 22nd August :mickey: